News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Blizzard Cancels Titan Project

Started by Elysian Radiance, September 23, 2014, 12:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elysian Radiance

As per MMO Champion and Polygon:

Blizzard Cancels Titan Project
You might recall that Blizzard "reset" the Titan project back in mid 2013. Mike Morhaime confirmed to Polygon today that the project is now cancelled.

The team set out to make another amazing MMO after World of Warcraft, but they didn't find the fun or passion.
Metzen said the decision to cancel Titan was excruciating, but cancelling projects has always resulted in better quality work.
Right now Blizzard doesn't want to spend time working on another MMO.
Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm helped Blizzard realize they don't have to work on giant projects.

However, it doesn't mean that the development team is no longer working on something. Multiple sources who seem to point towards a new unannounced project from Blizzard that would be codenamed Prometheus and could be another project built around a new license for Blizzard.

Keep in mind that this last bit is very much unofficial and unconfirmed.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Inkidu

Read between the lines and you can read, "Doesn't want to compete with itself." :|

I am blindingly biased though, so full disclosure.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

I knew this was going to happen.  Even with Blizzard, if the game is development longer than 3 years, it's done.  It's not happening.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 23, 2014, 06:23:29 PM
I knew this was going to happen.  Even with Blizzard, if the game is development longer than 3 years, it's done.  It's not happening.
What about Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 and 2.5, 2.9?

(I think they have subtitles for them)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on September 23, 2014, 05:29:52 PM
Read between the lines and you can read, "Doesn't want to compete with itself." :|

I am blindingly biased though, so full disclosure.

Not sure why you'd need to be biased to determine they came to a reasonable business conclusion. Developing another large-scale MMO when you're already running the most popular MMORPG in the world seems like a waste of time and resources to me. At best you end up cannibalizing your current audience.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Aiden

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on September 23, 2014, 10:57:59 PM
Not sure why you'd need to be biased to determine they came to a reasonable business conclusion. Developing another large-scale MMO when you're already running the most popular MMORPG in the world seems like a waste of time and resources to me. At best you end up cannibalizing your current audience.
Just for the sake of full disclosure. Meaning that anything I say in regard to Blizzard is in the light that I find them a soulless, stagnant, un-creative company whose only interest is developing better Skinner Boxes so that they can create gameplay to milk subscriptions and whatnot. No guarantee that this will all be rational all the time, but I sincerely wish Blizzard would just go out of business.

So, yeah, full disclosure.

Though I'll probably be dead before Blizzard comes up with a new IP.

I remember pointing out years ago that Blizzard hadn't created a genuinely new IP and someone name-dropped Titan as a counter. Welp, now what?

I think what ticks me off is they're hiding behind the "Passion" and yadda yadda not being there, but it's so easy to see the calculation behind the decision. If they had presented it as a business decision that's one thing, but they're pretending like it's some great artistic coup.

Drake Valentine

Nothing new, Blizzard has a tendency to cancel projects. ^^

Remember that actual Starcraft FPS they were GOING to do? Was it Starcraft Ghost or something? Project just vanished like it never existed. Believe it was female protagonist base to, but eh, it went down the drain.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on September 24, 2014, 07:33:19 AM
I remember pointing out years ago that Blizzard hadn't created a genuinely new IP and someone name-dropped Titan as a counter. Welp, now what?

Blizzard hasn't created a new IP in a long time*

They may have built Starcraft and Warcraft in a way that looks like an AU version of WH40k and WH, but they are definitely unique IP. Starcraft's terrans in particular bear almost no cultural resemblance to the human factions in WH40k even if they are both populated with space marines in power armor, Warhammer's soccer-thug style orks are significantly different from Warcraft's demon-tained shamanistic orc culture, etc. etc.

Diablo's a dungeon crawler hunting a demon through his minions. A generic idea, sure, but a new IP.

Lost Vikings? Blackthorne? Rock 'n' Roll Racing? Ancient by video game standards, but they exist.
◕/◕'s

Aiden

Why make more IPs when you have the ones that are a hit.

Fuck new IPs, give me Warcraft 4 and set me up for WoW2.

Inkidu

WoW 2 was just canceled. XD

Warcraft 4 is WoW. :P

Plus a new IP doesn't mean a new idea in the sense of a originality. An IP (Intellectual Property) means something new they can slap a trademark on that isn't just a spin-off of a previously established property.

So when Blizzard hasn't created a new IP in a long time it means they literally have not sat down and said, "What can we do that's not Starcraft, Warcraft, or Diablo?"

I imagine much mustache twirling, hand rubbing, and other forms of Wiplashian villainy are present as well.

TheGlyphstone

They come up with tons of great new ideas at every design meeting, amazingly original concepts that will revolutionize the game industry all over again. The problem is that they use hundred-dollar bills for their note paper, which then get rolled up to snort drugs with and everyone forgets what they talked about.

Kaezel

I'm still waiting on that Warcraft movie and especially Warcraft 4. Maybe in another ten years though.

TheGlyphstone

The movie is set for release in Spring 2016.

Another RTS game, you might have to wait a while for.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 24, 2014, 02:07:12 PM
They come up with tons of great new ideas at every design meeting, amazingly original concepts that will revolutionize the game industry all over again. The problem is that they use hundred-dollar bills for their note paper, which then get rolled up to snort drugs with and everyone forgets what they talked about.
Not gonna' lie, I lol'd... hard.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on September 24, 2014, 01:15:59 PM
So when Blizzard hasn't created a new IP in a long time it means they literally have not sat down and said, "What can we do that's not Starcraft, Warcraft, or Diablo?"

I imagine much mustache twirling, hand rubbing, and other forms of Wiplashian villainy are present as well.

Because not fixing a thing that isn't broken is a trademark of villainy.

Wait what
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on September 24, 2014, 06:03:49 PM
Because not fixing a thing that isn't broken is a trademark of villainy.

Wait what
Look, I don't see any one Blizzard employee going to the vending machine without kicking no less than four puppies and a ferret.

I warned the whole thread about this. Can't make you heed it. :)

One-trick ponies are the closest thing to creative villainy I can imagine.

Slywyn

Can I just point out the irony of saying such while having a picture from Sid Meyer in your avatar? >>

But seriously, I dunno if this is really a big deal. We didn't even know anything about Titan or what it even was other than 'new IP mmo!'. We never got any real info on it.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Shjade on September 24, 2014, 12:23:54 PM
Blizzard hasn't created a new IP in a long time*

They may have built Starcraft and Warcraft in a way that looks like an AU version of WH40k and WH, but they are definitely unique IP. Starcraft's terrans in particular bear almost no cultural resemblance to the human factions in WH40k even if they are both populated with space marines in power armor, Warhammer's soccer-thug style orks are significantly different from Warcraft's demon-tained shamanistic orc culture, etc. etc.

Diablo's a dungeon crawler hunting a demon through his minions. A generic idea, sure, but a new IP.

Lost Vikings? Blackthorne? Rock 'n' Roll Racing? Ancient by video game standards, but they exist.

Blackthorne and Lost Vikings were done by Blizzard? Those games kicked ass. ;o Actually, they remade Blackthorne not too long ago, think it was for a handheld....

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Inkidu

Quote from: Slywyn on September 24, 2014, 07:29:24 PM
Can I just point out the irony of saying such while having a picture from Sid Meyer in your avatar? >>

But seriously, I dunno if this is really a big deal. We didn't even know anything about Titan or what it even was other than 'new IP mmo!'. We never got any real info on it.
Firaxis has enjoyed a lot more IP's than Blizzard, and have had a much fuller release schedule, so yeah, the irony is tenuous at best. :)

Also that's not how he spells his last name.

Neysha

I can't believe how many hours I've sunk into Civ V and the new XCom. Thank you Sid Meier. As much as I'd love to play decade old WoW or graphically updated Diablo III or another Starcraft RTS sometimes you just gotta try something truly innovative. And IP or not, Civ V is light years beyond Civ II or III. And Pirates was dramatically different.  And my beloved return of Xcom just... mmmm thank you Sid Meier and Firaxis. :)

It's nice to know the gaming antichrist of Blizzactivision, Bobby Kotick, hasn't ruined all that is beautiful in gaming... Yet.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 24, 2014, 06:08:13 PM
It is. They're just really, really bad at it. Like Google.

You do realize that comic points out Google isn't evil since the CEO is saying "it's time to turn evil," meaning they aren't already and, since they apparently can't decide how to accomplish that feat, probably won't become evil anytime soon, right?
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Neysha on September 24, 2014, 08:40:27 PM
It's nice to know the gaming antichrist of Blizzactivision...

I thought I might have literally been the only one of that opinion. :D

I'm not going to cry... I'm... not going to cry...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Shjade on September 24, 2014, 08:48:17 PM
You do realize that comic points out Google isn't evil since the CEO is saying "it's time to turn evil," meaning they aren't already and, since they apparently can't decide how to accomplish that feat, probably won't become evil anytime soon, right?

Yes. That was my point.