Exalted: Dynasts and Dragon-Blooded (Interest Check)

Started by Rishon Tam, April 27, 2014, 10:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synecdoche17

Here's a first draft of what I feel might represent a "consensus" based on everyone's input. I arbitrarily picked the location of the game, but that can change; the idea is just to get a plot down on paper (also the South book is the only one I have right now >.>)

Even Dragons Die

The Empress is gone, and the Realm has fallen into shadow. Everywhere, vice overtakes virtue, foolishness overcomes wisdom.

For An-Teng, glittering jewel among the Realm's satrapies, it is a second fall into darkness, unnoticed, as the Great Houses look inward, baring their knives against each other.

Six moons ago, Ragara Soras Jor, Imperial Satrap, was murdered, likely by Lintha pirates, leaving Shuri the Scarlet, his garrison commander, in charge. Shuri the Scarlet destroyed a dozen ships in harbor for the crime of aiding the pirates; counting-houses, teahouses, and temples were looted and burned in the name of Imperial justice. Tengese bodies were piled high in every city.
   Though horrifying, the reign of terror was brief. Taxes and tariffs rose; Imperial soldiers claimed immunity to the law. The Tengese quickly understood the true lesson of Shuri's “investigation” into his rival's death.
   Now the taxed wealth of An-Teng is funneled into Shuri's legion, for his benefit and that of his officers. No higher power rebukes him; the generals of the Realm busy themselves with preparations for civil war; the Empress' magistrates are powerless without her strength behind them; the Immaculates have never held power in An-Teng.
   Not all Dragon-Blooded in An-Teng have forsaken the path of their illustrious forebears; not all Dragon-Blooded have abandoned virtue. In ones and twos, they have found their way to a teahouse on the outskirts of Dragon's Jaw, a pleasant, quiet place that overlooks a burbling stream as it winds its way toward the ocean. Here at Plum Blossom House, where the servants attend to their every need, both casual and intimate, the heirs to the Realm are at leisure, discussing philosophy, medicine, science, and arts both martial and marital.

Here the Lilac Society plots the downfall of Shuri the dictator.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Zaer Darkwail

Also of course there is White Veil society where all party members are part of.....course if there could be such society ;).

AribethAmkiir

Thought the whole purpose was to play Dynastic characters in the Blessed Isle?

Muse

There were a lot of different opinions about the pros and cons of setting our story on the blessed isle versus an imperial territory.  But last we head from Rishon on the topic of location: 

Quote from: Rishon Tam on April 29, 2014, 01:57:07 AM
I feel like intrigue based out of a brothel in a satrap sounds a lot better than any of the generic frameworks I'd tossed out.

And I don't think  Synchodine meant to suggest we our character's weren't dynasts.  An Tang is a popular vacation spot, and many dynats reside here for long periods of time keeping an eye on family investments while gaining in knowledge and power--and generally enjoying slumming it in the threshold.  : )

So, basically, the family of Pumpkin Seed's character owns a manse here, that has been opened as a high class brothel for family profit.  Pumpkin's character has been assigned by her family to oversee the property--likely getting the sue of the hearthstone for her trouble. 

When she begins conspiring with idealistic (or ambitious) young dynasts (perhaps some of them part of her sworn brotherhood) to overthrow the current Satrap (and put one or more of our number in power over a grateful populace) our cover for attending meetings is to visit this brothel. 

WAs that what you had in mind, Syn? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AribethAmkiir

Synecdoche17

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on April 30, 2014, 04:20:09 AM
Thought the whole purpose was to play Dynastic characters in the Blessed Isle?
We're definitely playing Dynasts. Muse nailed what I was trying to get across.  :-) The setting bit was just an attempt to put down in writing all the various ideas people have been batting around, beginning with Pumpkin Seed's idea of a brothel as a front for political activity. I'm not actually running the game, I don't think anything I write will actually make it in.  :P
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

What about Outcaste? I've always had a fondness for Lookshy.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Zeth

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 30, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Because of their neat power armor and Spartan like culture?

HairyHeretic

Those are factors, yes :) Plus one of my Solar characters was a Lookshy Ashigaru prior to his exaltation.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Synecdoche17

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 30, 2014, 02:31:01 PM
From Rishon Tam's initial post on down, pretty much everyone has been talking about internal Realm politics. Though an Outcaste from Lookshy would make a great character for a political drama in a satrapy because everyone can trust him/her not to be in bed with the opposing Houses.

Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

I've spent too long playing Scorpions in L5R .. I have all kinds of sneaky ideas now  >:)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zeth

So can my character be blatant rip offs of an avatar character? Zuko, Toph, Aang, etc.

Rishon Tam

Okay. So, from what I'm hearing, we're looking to have a major impact on the contest for the throne, and Ejava is our girl. Additionally, while we're going to be operating out of (and from behind the cover of) a brothel, we'd like to be seeking an impact rather more revolutionary than just wresting control of a satrap from another house through economic skullduggery angled through the sex trade.

That suggests two things to me:
1. It should probably be in the South, where she's well-enough and widely-enough liked that the public's committed support will be easy to keep in the event of success.
2. We want to set this in one of the most important places to the Realm that isn't on the Isle in order to make success mean something bigger than a meager bump to the Roseblack's war chest. Someplace Mnemon really wouldn't want anyone putting in Ejava's pocket.

An-Teng actually fits that pretty well, and I liked the idea for it. But let me float another option.

How would you guys feel about trying to claim Paragon for the Roseblack?
It's the second-greatest power in the south, and a satrapy of the Realm... though that alliance was won by a personal visit from the Scarlet Empress herself and was, itself, a compromise from the more thoroughly subordinate role she'd desired for the southern power. Paragon could easily withdraw from the entire conflict -- and potentially from the Realm as a whole, absent the right pressures or incentives -- but if its support could be won for a given candidate for the throne, it would be a tremendous boon.
And, of course, there's no saying one must seek something so similar to the way things have been over the last several centuries. It's no secret that the Perfect of Paragon's power comes from his Scepter, and while the Empress didn't heed those in her court suggesting that it be wrested from him, it isn't as though she's around to complain if someone were to try. Failing such an attempt would have terrible consequences, of course, but the chance for success might seem worth it to some, given that the whole of Paragon could be won with ease if the Scepter were to be liberated from the Perfect... and, besides, any Immaculate monk can tell you how deeply wrong it is for a mere mortal to command the kind of power the Perfect does, especially given that he owes it almost entirely to an artifact of the anathema.
However you'd decide to go about it, though, you can rest assured that Mnemon's aware of the role Paragon could play, and she'll likely have agents of her own at work somewhere.

It's a thought. With that said, if you guys would prefer, I'm perfectly comfortable with An-Teng as the setting and Shuri as your primary target, as that's plenty juicy, too. Likewise, if there are any other ideas you'd like to throw out there for consideration, I'd love to hear them.

Let me know what you all think.
Then, once we've got the setup firmly established, I think we'll be ready to take a more serious look at characters.

Zaer Darkwail

I place my vote on Ang-Teng take over sort of deal.

ShadowFox89

Yeah.... not really interested in dealing with the Perfect with anything less than several legions at our command and each of us being elder essence.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CopperLily

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 30, 2014, 09:56:15 PM
Yeah.... not really interested in dealing with the Perfect with anything less than several legions at our command and each of us being elder essence.

I'd be much more interested in not killing him, but leaving him a position to die easy, perhaps when Roseblack shows up. Not interested in being a Legion commander, much more interested in slipping said Legion commander a note beneath his tea tray.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 30, 2014, 09:56:15 PM

Aye. Paragan sounds a bit too much of a tough nut to crack for a bunch of starting PCs.

Unless I can sneak in to the place in a warstrider and step on the guy  >:)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I'd say An-Teng with an eye on Paragon.  No reason we can't begin to spread our influence once we have a nice, comfy home.

Zeth

Plus Varangia is kind of boring with all the freaking clocks. I vote An-Teng!

Dracorion

I vote An-Teng too, with the possibility to spread out if we want to.

Muse

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 01, 2014, 02:09:10 PM
I'd say An-Teng with an eye on Paragon.  No reason we can't begin to spread our influence once we have a nice, comfy home.

*smiles*  Ditto. 

An Teng is far more approachable than Paragon.  I see where you'e going with winning the Perfect's support, though. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Synecdoche17

Absences and Apologies

Pumpkin Seeds

:: swoons::

Considering this sort of image for the madame.  I like the outfit and the actress has a stern look to her I think works well.

Muse

Ledaal Kurumi

Studious and bookish, it has often been said that Kurumi was meant to have attended the Heptagram.  Instead her family—quite inundated with sorcerers—sent her to the Spiral Academy.  Though she took readily enough to the waves of money and bureaucracy, Kurumi spent more time dedicated to her two great loves, scholarship and music. 

Shy and meek—especially for a Terrestrial—Kurumi's cousins took her too a party hosted by House Cynis.  Yes, one of those parties.  The blushing girl spent the first few hours hiding behind the musicians. Occasionally curiosity would get the better of her and she'd peak over at the glorious debauchery.  Then her cheeks would flare, her glasses steam, and she'd look away. 

This was how Cynis ____ (played by M.R.) found her and took the shy girl under her wing, introducing her to the pleasures of the flesh, the heart, and—of course—of bondage. 

____ was able to cure Kurumi of her shyness in almost every aspect of her life.  It even helped her with her martial arts studies, and Kurumi was able to persuade an Even Blade master to teach her the rudiments.