News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Advice needed: will this game run on my PC?

Started by Beorning, February 14, 2016, 05:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Recently, I've become aware of the coming premiere of Layers Of Fear, Polish horror game which seems to be getting some rave early reviews. I'm considering purchasing it, because it does look tasty... still, I'm wondering whether it'd run on my PC?

My PC is four years old. Back when I purchased it, I built it with Skyrim in mind... and indeed, Skyrim was running pretty well on it (I mean, it certainly wasn't running on its highest settings, but it was good enough). Mass Effect 1 & 2 looked good, too. The PC's exact technical specs are:

- Intel Core i5 2300
- 4 GB RAM
- AMD Radeon HD 6700 graphics card

The game's minimum requirements are:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
- 4 GB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (1 GB) or AMD Radeon R7 250X (1 GB)

Recommended hardware is:

-  Intel Core i5 3470
- 4 GB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti (2 GB)

So, will the game run? I'd love to hear some opinion from E's PC experts, as I've been out of loop when it comes to PCs...

somanycharacters

You should be fine on lower specs - I have a HD 6700 as well and the only thing I've found I have a problem with is Fallout 4.

I just don't expect everything to look amazing. :)

Your processors up to snuff though, and your RAM is fine

Beorning

What does it mean "up to snuff"?

BTW. Did you manage to run Fallout 4 eventually, or does it not run on graphics cards such as mine?

somanycharacters

You will not be able to run fallout 4 with that - I can barely run it with a better processor and 8 gb of RAM.

Your processor is good enough to run that game, I think.

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Beorning on February 14, 2016, 04:11:04 PM
What does it mean "up to snuff"?

BTW. Did you manage to run Fallout 4 eventually, or does it not run on graphics cards such as mine?

The 2300 can run pretty much any modern game except some very CPU intensive games (which are rare) like Watchdogs or GTA V. Your issue is the graphics card. It will probably run that particular game, though.

As for Fallout 4, you WILL be able to run it with a 6700. However, you will NOT be able to run it at 1080p (that's 1920x1080 resolution), and only barely on 720p. If you want 60 stable FPS, you might have to drop as low as 800x600, which looks kind of bad.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Beorning

Hmmm. I had my PC analyzed at the Can You Run It website and it says that my graphics card is too weak! The game requires 1 GB RAM, while my card is 1014 MB. Huh?

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Beorning on February 15, 2016, 04:48:45 PM
Hmmm. I had my PC analyzed at the Can You Run It website and it says that my graphics card is too weak! The game requires 1 GB RAM, while my card is 1014 MB. Huh?

What CanYouRunIt does is compare your PC with the official requirements. That's it. The thing is, the official requirements are usually for 1080p (and lowering the resolution of a game is by far the best way to get it to work on lower end cards, because it means there are less pixels to render), and they're usually wildly inflated. User reports for the 6700 say that you can definitely manage 30 FPS stable on lowest settings if you drop the resolution a bit.

Also, VRAM is considerably less important than the clock speed of your card. For instance, an hypothetical GTX 970 with 1GB VRAM would still run Fallout 4 pretty well in 1080p, granted with some texture pop in and without ultra textures. Can You Run It makes it seem like if you have the VRAM, it's good to go. That's definitely not the case.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night