INTEREST CHECK: Peaky Blinders

Started by WhatLiesAbove, June 28, 2018, 08:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatLiesAbove

So the idea is roughly based off of the Netflix show. The basic premise would be a gang in Britain, circa 1918. Post WW1 era, so there would be a lot of things modern, and a lot of things not. Life would revolve around booze, gambling (mostly horse races), and a bit of prostitution. The main folks would be members of the Shelby family, with yours truly playing head of household Tommy.

Right now it's just evolving, but I'm curious to see who all would be interested. This would not be a fast-paced game...my workmdoes not allow it at all. So that is full disclosure right there. However, I see it being a lot of fun...something like a mix between the Sopranos and Game of Thrones, just without the magic and mysticism. I am looking for realism! So...on to the FAQ!

Do I have to play a gangster? Absolutely not. There is tons of conflict, and I am starting this game up right around season 1 and allowing us to basically build from there. You can play police, gangsters, or regular folks. Just know...cops are typically bought off in the neighborhood where the Shelbys live (South Heath I believe). So there isn't a lot of power for them.

What if I've never seen the show? That's fine! You don't have to have at all. And I am not looking for historical accuracy here, folks. Yes, the Germans lost the war, and the US is a million miles away. However, while I do not expect historical accuracy, I am looking for things to be relatively on par. Women's sufferage is just recently becoming a thing. The King is George V. Laws are relatively puritan. I want things to be as welcoming as possible, however there are a lot of things frowned upon during this era. That doesn't mean they cannot happen...like most things, it will likely occur in the shadow of law and order.

LGBTQ friendly? See above. All are welcome. The setting may not be the most hospitable, but that just makes the "taboo" more enticing.

What about weapons? pistols, bolt-action rifles, shotguns, knives. Those who play "Peaky Blinders" will have razors sewn into the lip of their caps. If you want to know why they are called the "Peaky Blinders", feel free to ask one of them. I urge you to think about it first. *covers eyes in protection* Other than that...no military grade or modern weapons will be accepted. I am trying to keep it relatively realistic!

Feel free to post any other questions here! I'm thinking it's going to be a mostly open game...meaning that I will leave players to build themselves up for the most part. I will be running missions that will have consequences in the future though...so be aware!

Alias

mmm, yes, never seen the show, but mmm. Count me in-terested!
Also First. Yeet!

Nameless One

Loved the show, count me interested.
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

tobisquestion

Character images inspiration: Female - Male

Alias

SaintSicaire

I haven't seen the show, but the setting sounds interesting!
"Nideriu minne heizet diu sô swachet
    daz der lîp nâch kranker liebe ringet"

~Walther von der Vogelweide, german minstrel (1220)

Request-Thread
Ons//Offs

RedRose

Ooooh. Peaky Blinders is a great setting.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

RipTide

I love the show. Totally throwing my hat in!

Posting Rate = 1-2 posts/story/week

What Does a Siren Crave? === What Does a Siren Prefer?

WhatLiesAbove

Wonderful! I’ll start a recruitment thread complete with rules and CS setup!