TARDIS - Dr Who with a darker theme

Started by 3ldr1tch, June 06, 2005, 01:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3ldr1tch

I want to guague interest for a game idea I have. Having really ejoyed the new series of Dr. Who. I decided I'd like to runa game in the Dr. Who universe, but with more adult and horror content than the original series . I am going to try avoid using cannon characters as much as possible so you could really call it an adult Dr. Who spinoff.

The premise:-

The Great Time War ended badly. The Doctor had finally won but barely. The Daleks were wiped from the space-time continnum, but so was Gallefrey and all of its people. The doctor was left alone, cast adrift in space-time forever.

Or so he thought.

There were some Time Lords that survived their planet's destruction. One such being was Jessynia. Her Tardis had malfunctioned during a flight and she had become trapped outside space time. The detruction of Gallifrey, however, had sent shockwaves into the continnuum that ripped Jessynia's Tardis back into our universe.

Badly injured and about to undergo a very painful regeneration, Jessynia managed to land her Tardis on earth, She opened the door to her ship, but collapsed before she had a chance to leave it.

Due to the nature of the Dr. Who universe characters could be from any time period and any race. Initially I would be looking for someone to play Jessynia and maybe three or four others to play assistants.

We could discuss the initial plot details such as what period in earth's history the time lady has landed in. I'd also excpect one assistant to be from this time period.

If there is interest I'll probably classify it under heavy sexual consentual or heavy sexual non-consentual. I'd like the game to have a large mix of sex and horror along with the science fiction.

All interested parties please reply to this thread.

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

- H.P. Lovecraft ("The Call of Cthulhu")

kasen03

Now that sounds like ALOT of fun.

Which Canon will you be going by? The TV set canon?  Perhaps some inflience from the FASA game from the 80's.. or the remake of the game in the 90's? Or purely free-form.

I'm very much loving this concept..as long as the game is small with a good core of players :)

Valerian

Ooh, me, pick me!  Yes, I admit it, I'm a Doctor Who geek...

I'd like to hear about the system as well.  But I'm so torn over which role to play... I've certainly watched the show enough to be able to fake all the necessary technobabble and such, and I do usually have a lot of time online.  But as a history geek as well, I have to admit the chance of playing a 15th or 16th century Englishwoman is awfully enticing.  I'll wait and see what others are most interested in.  Fifteenth or sixteenth century would also be my first vote for a time period to start in, although I'm open to any time period, really.  I'm glad there's some interest.   :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Don't you love the new series?  I have some little gripes..I don't like how 'americanized' it seems.. how 'Everyone is wiped out except for the Doctor'.  OKay.. maybe that's dramatic..but COME ON!!!!  Sheesh.  Yes the Dalek's had time travel..but they were AGES behind the Gallefrayians (sp) in technology and grasp of temporal mechanics.

And..now that the Eye of Raissilon is poof (assumed..with the destruction of Gallefrey) where is the Tardis getting it's power from?

Anyways..I do love Christopher Ecckert.. I think he makes a GREAT Doctor.  I'm eager to see where this game goes.

3ldr1tch

Valerian, I assume you are the player who's playing Zoe on my Shadows of St Utar's game?

I did play the fasa DR. Who game once in high school. That was back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth so I don't remember much of it, unfortunately.

I was thinking of making this freeform, with about 4 assistants and 1 timelady. I was going to base it on the new series, but I will prbably borrow a lot of the history of the old series. I might even throw in a cyberman and a dalek or two during the course of the game.

I am of course open to suggestions. I have some ideas of plot threads already. I was thinking on making the game less black and white, save the day, and perhaps more complex. Maybe Jessynia is an escaped criminal or something. Maybe she stole the TARDIS from someone else, someone not so reasonable who wants it back.
The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

3ldr1tch

Quote from: kasen03 on June 06, 2005, 09:14:36 AM
Don't you love the new series?  I have some little gripes..I don't like how 'americanized' it seems.. how 'Everyone is wiped out except for the Doctor'.  OKay.. maybe that's dramatic..but COME ON!!!!  Sheesh.  Yes the Dalek's had time travel..but they were AGES behind the Gallefrayians (sp) in technology and grasp of temporal mechanics.

And..now that the Eye of Raissilon is poof (assumed..with the destruction of Gallefrey) where is the Tardis getting it's power from?

Anyways..I do love Christopher Ecckert.. I think he makes a GREAT Doctor.  I'm eager to see where this game goes.

I love the new series. So does my girlfriend, surprisingly so as she normally hates sci-fi. Mind you, I think this has more to do with a certain actor than with the series itself.

I have noticed a few plot inconsistancies so far. "Father's Day" being the biggest culprit here, but hey its a lot better than the old series in a lot of ways, I think. (Waits to be flamed by Dr. who 'purists')

kasen03

3ldr1tch,

I have copies of both releases of the FASA rules. I used to play and run it back.  I'm an old rper from the stone ages.. I think I still have my dinosaur bones someplace.  I even have a couple of the modules.  Some of the books had GREAT source material..not especially canon but going into great detail of the workings of the Tardis.. time laws, etc.

That's another thing I like of the current series.. it's not all Paladin-like..the new Doctor is really gritty and angsty.

Valerian

Yep, Zoe here, reporting as ordered.  Heh.

I have the FASA rules myself, and a couple of modules - and the simple and streamlined Time Lord book.  Was that FASA also?

But I'm stuck here in the states, and can't even watch the new series yet.  *sniffle*  I do like the idea of making it not so black and white, though, and getting into some more complex issues; and I can probably follow along all right with whatever sort of 'feel' you intend to give the game.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

I think it was some 'outside' company..not one of the big names.  So not TSR, GDW, FASA, etc

I'm in Canada..and we get it.  It's my Tuesday Night ritual now :)  There shalt be no postings from me Tuesday nights from 8-9 :)

Valerian

The Time Lord book always seemed to me like "Role-Playing for Dummies," it was all so simplified.  But it worked all right; you could at least capture the feel of the old series with it.

But stop gloating!  Hmph.  At least I get to watch Hugh Laurie in House on Tuesdays, which is something...

Anyway.  Preferences on time period, kasen?  Or anyone else who might be interested?  I like 1940's stuff, too.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

*quickly scribbles and gives Valerian a hand-written invitation*  You're very open to join me anytime you wanna watch the show :)  I'll even provide the popcorn :)

As for time period..isn't that the best part of Dr Who? It's not set to ANY time period..the party can go anywhere / do anything.  Admittedly in the past I was only the DM..never got to play.  My time lord did a GREAT job at roleplaying a Galleyfrayian.  To me what's more important then when we go..is the who.  Making sure that all the players are very good roleplayers..they work well together and that the time lord especially is very believable as a time lord :)

*tries to take off his elitist cap..but it's on so tight.  He pouts!*

Valerian

Ooh, hand-written?  Make sure you become famous someday so this will be worth something.   ;)  But will it be extra buttery popcorn?

Well, I was just thinking of a time to start in, really, which might influence my choice of character.  But yes, it's the variety of it all that I really like, and I hope the game lasts long enough to visit many different eras and places.

Don't worry about the elitist cap.  I think we have a matching set there... I like to think that I roleplay pretty well, and as a former English literature/language major, I think I can write pretty well, too, and I'm afraid I tend to expect both from my fellow players.  So I'd have to agree on good roleplaying and good party unity as two important factors.  Hm, think we've scared everyone else away yet...?
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Well.. I have my doubts about famous.. but it is extra buttery popcorn.

You know.. I know what would be fun. :) Pirates..Arr!  Start the game in the 1640's in the Spanish Main. :)  I can be a swashbuckler :)

You know..I HATED English in school.  I'm actually a Design major... who now works for the goverment.  Nice cushy desk job.  I don't think we've scared everyone away yet.. there are some VERY good roleplayers here ;)

There is just also the usual mix..of *cough* not so good :)

Natalie C. Barney

I tend to agree if all the Time Lords were wiped out and the black hole that powered the TARDIS stopped working then the source of Time Travel power is gone. I mean as far as the advanced technology of the Time Lords was considered. And all that power was channeled THROUGH Galifrey to the Time Lords machines. We have to tie this n to the Dr. Who technology regarding them using your scenario the other players right the TARDIS would stop working, if you use the TV series.

On the plus side can I be a K9 unit K9 MK VI, with improved armor, blaster nose, sensors and a female personality, more advanced. By the way I hope this will be a clean game there is never HANKY PANKY in the Dr. Who universe besides a hint of romance in spots.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

3ldr1tch

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on June 06, 2005, 12:56:43 PM
I tend to agree if all the Time Lords were wiped out and the black hole that powered the TARDIS stopped working then the source of Time Travel power is gone. I mean as far as the advanced technology of the Time Lords was considered. And all that power was channeled THROUGH Galifrey to the Time Lords machines. We have to tie this n to the Dr. Who technology regarding them using your scenario the other players right the TARDIS would stop working, if you use the TV series.

On the plus side can I be a K9 unit K9 MK VI, with improved armor, blaster nose, sensors and a female personality, more advanced. By the way I hope this will be a clean game there is never HANKY PANKY in the Dr. Who universe besides a hint of romance in spots.

I think the 'new' series has departed from the old in many respects. Gallifrey hasn't even been mentioned yet, nor the Time Scoop. The Tardis is apparently now a living being with a soul.

To be honest I would prefer an alternative to having Gallifrey and the Time Scoop around. Less backup form the rest of your race = greater feeling of isolation and fear.

As far as characters go. Characters can be from ANY race or time period. I think what I will do is set up threads for each of the assistants (As well as the timelady's) starting worlds and eras, then roleplay situations parrallel to the main plot whilst our resident time lady picks up assistants along the way. What does everyone think? And has anyone decided to play the Gallifreyan lady yet?

And Natalie, You DID read the post where I stated I was going to add a fair degree of Sex and Horror, Didn't you?

Valerian

Hm, that seems like something of a return to the very old episodes, before Gallifrey was mentioned and when everything about both Doctor and TARDIS was strange and mysterious.  I like that.

I have no problems with a different sort of power source, certainly.  The isolated wanderers idea does appeal to me.

I'll tackle the Time Lady if no one else wants to, though I am a little nervous about doing her justice...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Actually...they have mentioned Galleyfrey plenty of times.. the time wars.. the Daleks.. the other timelords..

They haven't mentioned the Time Scoop..And the Tardis was never alive..but rather so sophistocated it seemed alive.

Also..if you weren't so bent on a female timelord..I would step up :)  Or if you really need a female ... I can do that..although I'd be alittle lighter on the sex and so forth if I was roleplaying a Fem.  I'll do that more for plot..less for sex.  (eh..personal preference)

I did manage to dig out all my old Fasa (circa 1985) rules.. the second printing..the brown covers.  I also dug out the module I have.. The Iytean Menace..tee hee..cheesy RPG at their peak.  I'm thinking..if the timelord position is taken..I'd wanna play a Swashbuckler.  Been playing Pirates! too much lately :)

Valerian

Well, I have no way of knowing if they've been mentioning Gallifrey, unfortunately.  Sigh.  But there always were hints that the TARDIS was self-aware to some extent, at least, even if not quite alive...

I have Iytean Menace, too, and City of Gold, with the Conquistadors.  That one wasn't half-bad, as I recall.

I'll feel bad if I take the Time Lord job away from anyone who might really want it, though.  I can always fall back on my Wars of the Roses era Englishwoman...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Natalie C. Barney

Ok K9 with a built in Sybian system, she's a robotic dog so should be ok by site limits. Will have a vibrator and a vibrating pad for her istress to ride on for relaxation like a Sybian that comes out of the center of her back. I could add another hole for a man to use thats self-cleaning. You don't mind a more humorous character?

And I'm not saying the TARDIS couldn't have another power source I could see a QUANTUM SINGULARITY in the core like a weak black hole suspended in a time vortex. Sort of a weak Eye of Rasilon in each TARDIS.
Natalie Clifford Barney

3ldr1tch

Quote from: kasen03 on June 06, 2005, 06:02:35 PM
Actually...they have mentioned Galleyfrey plenty of times.. the time wars.. the Daleks.. the other timelords..

They haven't mentioned the Time Scoop..And the Tardis was never alive..but rather so sophistocated it seemed alive.

Also..if you weren't so bent on a female timelord..I would step up :)  Or if you really need a female ... I can do that..although I'd be alittle lighter on the sex and so forth if I was roleplaying a Fem.  I'll do that more for plot..less for sex.  (eh..personal preference)

I did manage to dig out all my old Fasa (circa 1985) rules.. the second printing..the brown covers.  I also dug out the module I have.. The Iytean Menace..tee hee..cheesy RPG at their peak.  I'm thinking..if the timelord position is taken..I'd wanna play a Swashbuckler.  Been playing Pirates! too much lately :)

I just thought it would be cool to have a female time lord for a change, but a male one can work just as well. Although the doctor's planet has been mentioned in the new series, its actual name isn't. The Tardis being alive comes from the episode that was aired last saturday. To cut a long story short the tardis is being torn apart by an opening interdimensional rift and the device exposes its soul. It's also supposted to be telepathic according to the new series.

3ldr1tch

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on June 06, 2005, 06:46:01 PM
Ok K9 with a built in Sybian system, she's a robotic dog so should be ok by site limits. Will have a vibrator and a vibrating pad for her istress to ride on for relaxation like a Sybian that comes out of the center of her back. I could add another hole for a man to use thats self-cleaning. You don't mind a more humorous character?

And I'm not saying the TARDIS couldn't have another power source I could see a QUANTUM SINGULARITY in the core like a weak black hole suspended in a time vortex. Sort of a weak Eye of Rasilon in each TARDIS.

Hey you don't HAVE to be a sexed up cyber dog (bitch) if you don't want to. I just meant that the game would contain sex and therefore go in one of the sexual situationsl sections, rather than the non-sexual. If you don't want to play the sex stuff thats entirely up to you.

I think we have enough interest now for me to PM the forum mods about setting up a board. Does anyone have a particular preference as to what section I should ask that the boards be created in.

kasen03

It was always telepathic..it had a 'link' with the doctor.  And I remember at least one female timelord (and she was pretty good too) Lady Romana :)

If there isn't any big interest..I wouldn't mind making up the timelord.  I have no problem being female either, although that may cause some of the more sexual scenes to fade to black..depending on the subjects.

As for which section..well Mr DM..if you're using a game system (Fasa or the other one) put it in the game system..if it's free form..put it in freeform.  Honestly I don't think it /really/ matters much.  If you want an idea..what I'm doing with my latest game I'm running..it's using game mechanics.. but the game is very predominantly freeform.. the mechanics provide a frame and structure..and for me to do any dierolls offline and weave the results into the narrative.

3ldr1tch

Its gonna be freeform. What I was getting at was shall I put it in Light Sexual, Heavy NC, or Heavy NC exotic.

kasen03

*shrugs* I'm good with any :) *grins*

Valerian

Hm, well, I'm up for most things, I guess.  I'm not too into really bizarre tentacled thingies, but I don't mind them, if that's the majority decision.  My first vote would be Heavy NC, just so we can get more graphic if we choose, but either of the others is fine, too.

Perhaps you could be more of a regular K-9 unit, Natalie, who scientifically analyzes the mating behaviors going on.  ;)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

3ldr1tch

Quote from: Valerian on June 07, 2005, 09:35:25 AM
Hm, well, I'm up for most things, I guess.  I'm not too into really bizarre tentacled thingies, but I don't mind them, if that's the majority decision.  My first vote would be Heavy NC, just so we can get more graphic if we choose, but either of the others is fine, too.

Perhaps you could be more of a regular K-9 unit, Natalie, who scientifically analyzes the mating behaviors going on.  ;)

How can you be ina call of Cthulhu game and not like bizzare tentacled things  ;D

I think if no-one objects I'll put it in NC exotic so we can do what we like with it. There doesn't have to be sex in the game at all - but the option will be there if any players want to take it.

Valerian

Hey, there's liking bizarre tentacled things, and then there's liking bizarre tentacled things.  Besides, Zoe hasn't had anything remotely resembling sex, even with a human.   :P

But yes, exotic is okay by me, if only to keep everyone's options open.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Keeping the options open is always best.  I agree.

And what's wrong with tentacled thingys?  You know..it's been AGES since I've done a scene like that.  Although..may not be tentacles.. I'm sure aliens such as Dralasites are going to be ALOT of fun. (which if no one watches other forums..means NOTHING to anyone else)

Natalie C. Barney

*vibrating Sybian system activates flipping over on K-9 MK VI back aka Princess* "Mistress you look tense relaxation systems are active if a Cyberman interfers I will activate blaster.,"little blaster points at the door.

Com on a mobile sex toy for the Time Lady should be fun!
Natalie Clifford Barney

Valerian

Erm.  No, don't know what Dralasites are, and perhaps that's for the best.  Just thinking about the sorts of things Rutans might do is quite disturbing enough for me...

So the next question is, who's going to play the Time Lord?  If the character doesn't need to be female (which seems like the only thing making him hesitate), then I'm happy to let kasen step up to the job, and I'll try my 15th century minor noblewoman idea instead.  I've read so much about the time period, I should really use all that knowledge somewhere.  :)

I won't comment on mobile sex toys.  Heh.  That's up to our fearless leader.  ;)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Natalie C. Barney

The other option is a mobile weapons system K-9 with larger batteries, stronger blaster nose, more protection and a girlish nature. But the mobile Sybian sex toy could be funny! And it would have the normal K-9 features.

As for a human option how about a scantily clad Pictish warrior with a bow and other weapons in skimpy leathers and tattooes.
Natalie Clifford Barney

3ldr1tch

How about a mobile weapons system K9, with girlish nature, built in sybian and VR interface. It could be the ultimate lesbian sex toy :D

I'm only online briefly so I'll request a forum to be up some time tomorrow.

I would have prefered a female time lord, played by a female - but if no-one is up to the task then kasen can play a male timelord if he wants, or a female one with less sexiness.

kasen03

Hmm.. thing is.. the doctor's forces never were that heavily armed.  That was usually the 'bad guys' not the good guys.

And I have no problem playing a female.  I'm thinking if I play just a companion I'll probably go swashbuckler. 

*sniff sniffs 'cause 3ldr1tch dun want me to play the time lord*

Natalie C. Barney

But the Doctor was almost a legend, and he did use weapons when it was needed in many episodes. Remember the first time he fought the Dalek's at their creation he had no problems working with the soldiers to seal them in. Add to that other cases. He did never carry a gun but K-9 was a valuable tool and weapon. Mine would just have an extra appendage and I like the VR/Hologram generator idea!
Natalie Clifford Barney

Valerian

I remember watching that scene in Earthshock for the first time, the one where the fifth Doctor has grabbed a Cyberman's weapon and is using it to shoot the Cyberman down... it was such a strange sight, the Doctor with a weapon in his hand... Though the episodes with K-9 tended to have a slightly different feel to them, so in most cases, seeing the Doctor asking K-9 to stun someone just didn't seem as jarring as it might have with another Doctor.  However, I guess the main point here is that the horror aspects will be more forceful if we have no to limited weaponry -- but then K-9 was always breaking down, or running out of power. ;)

And then there's still this Time Lord problem... I think a male Time Lord would be fine, especially since from the looks of things, he'd have two female (or at least feminine) companions right off the bat, and I would think that a mixed gender group would be preferable.  And if the game is successful enough, we could perhaps introduce a female Time Lord later on.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

I would like to say..I don't mind playing a female.  I think 3ldr1ch just prefered a female /player/ running.. not the female time lord.

*grins* I ended up having a conversation over my lunch with a co-worker about Dr. Who and this thread.  To me.. the Doctor always tried to talk his way out of trouble..very rarely resorting to physical violence.

And yeah..K-9 was often zotting people..but those were stuns..not kill-o-zap rays :)  I always loved that otherworldly aire to the time lords.. how they were always..seeing the world through completely skewed glasses.  as if the littlist things were somehow important..and the big things irrevellent in the grand scheme of things ;)

3ldr1tch

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on June 07, 2005, 12:15:01 PM
But the Doctor was almost a legend, and he did use weapons when it was needed in many episodes. Remember the first time he fought the Dalek's at their creation he had no problems working with the soldiers to seal them in. Add to that other cases. He did never carry a gun but K-9 was a valuable tool and weapon. Mine would just have an extra appendage and I like the VR/Hologram generator idea!

*looks embarassed* You do know I was joking about the lesbian cyber dog thing, right? I wouldn't mind a ltille sex in the game (who doesn't), but I don't want the game to revolve around it!

Valerian

Well, all I can say is, I'm not sure I can quite do justice to the Time Lord role, whereas kasen seems to have more confidence about the whole thing, whether the character is male or female, and either is all right by me.  I guess there are also a few other things we could work on, such as a time/place to start out in, and perhaps whether we want to try recruiting another player...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

I liked 3ldr1tch's idea of having seperate threads for all the companions.. and having something happen to each of them before they all join the time lord.

Of course..it's so hard coming up with a very Dr Who'ish sounding name without stealing the reverent "Doctor"

"Hottie Who?" *snickers*

Valerian

Oh, I fully expect Bad Things to happen to my character at the beginning, especially if she's going to be coming from the middle of the Wars of the Roses.  Heh.  So separate threads to start sounds good to me.

The name is hard, but I refuse to call anyone 'Hottie'.  :P  How about a feminine title, like the Rani used?
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Natalie C. Barney

Actually K-9 can stun or fire powerful killing laser beams, usually up to the Doctor, in cases where they were facing really aggressive aliens or had to blast through an ostacle K-9 could go hostile. Remember when he fought the vampires in the E-space episodes K-9 was in there blasting away with the other humans. It depends totally on the circumstances.
Natalie Clifford Barney

kasen03

The 'Hottie' Who was me being coy.

Actually I've been giving this thought..and have a sortof idea I'm musing with.  And it's partially reminiscent of the old episodes listening to K-9 talking to Lady Romana.

"Mistress"  Which has MANY different connentations..all of which make me smile.  I don't think we're going for a bdsm sense here..so it would be more in the term of respect.  As one from the 16th century would refer to the lady of the house. :)

Of course she'd have her full name.. but it would be mostly unpronouncable to humans :)  Thoughts?

BTW..Dr Who is in on 10..so I'll be gone for abit.  Hunkering down with my old RPG books too :)  Cheers and talk to you later.

*offers popcorn all around*

Valerian

Yes, I know you were being coy, but I'm still not calling anyone "Hottie".  :P

Mistress would certainly work (and provide a little humor), but I'm terrible at names.  Of course, probably someone could just randomly type out a long string of letters, and that would work just fine...

*munches popcorn*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

You know..it sucks being one week behind the british releases.  That episode you mentioned with the rift is NEXT week.. although this week was good :)

I'm glad you liked 'Mistress'.. I thought it would be cute. :)

Valerian

I'm so pathetic.  I've been searching my books and the net, trying to find an actual person from the Wars of the Roses that I could play...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Bah..not pathetic.

Which reminds me..instead of playing the Urbs.. while waiting for postings..I should get my butt in gear and make up a timelord.

:)  I'm in the chat room if anyone wants to yabber.

Valerian

Hm, well, I didn't know there was a chat room, but apparently it's a moot point, as it doesn't seem to work for me, anyway...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Aww..sure it does.. click on the CHAT button on the top.  Then once it loads (I think you need to have flash drivers installed, which are free) then you just type in a nickname (such as Valerian) and pick a room.

BTW..I'm being slowly reminded how cumbersome these antique rpg systems are.  I'm boggled down in skill generation..tee hee :) Feel glad that Mr Dm isn't forcing all of us to do this :) I must be a masichist.. and a bad speller.

Valerian

I'm pretty sure I have flash, but it never seems to actually load.  It sits on a grey screen.  But I'll try it again in a bit...

Well, I'll admit I do have a habit of making my characters up in GURPS even when I don't have to, but I don't think I'll try that this time, and that isn't all that cumbersome for me anyway.  So yeah, you're just a masochist.  *was once the youngest regional spelling champ ever on her home turf*

Hm, guess that makes me a braggart, too, though that was an awfully long time ago, of course...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

*grins* I played Gurps once..and that was like 15 years ago :)

I'm almost through skills.. then I get to descriptions :)

Valerian

Grr.  It still won't work.  I might be able to spell, but I'm not all that computer literate about this stuff.  It said something about an exception error, if that means anything to you...

GURPS is about all that I usually play, but I'm always willing to branch out for interesting games.  Are you really using that clunky FASA system?
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Yep.

And boy is it clunky :)  A bit of trivia..this is the same base-system that FASA used for the Star Trek RPG.. the one that they were YOINKED when Paramount realized that hey..they can make money from this :)

Finally done skills.. just last touches.  I don't know if I'll have it ready for public..I may fire a draft at the DM for him to laugh (err. to accept)

(addendum)  Actually.. what I may do after this..is using the modeller built into second life (www.secondlife.com) start working on a character for it.  I'm also in the middle of making a charcter model for Brat Brannagan from Model Hostages.

Valerian

Oh, so that's a sim sort of thing?  I've never heard of that before.

That must be a long list of skills.  Though a jack of all trades Time Lord is always very handy.  And I'm sure our GM won't laugh.  Much.  ;)  I just have a rough history worked out, and now I'm working on personailty traits, though so far it's really all in my head.  You know, after all this, we'd better start out in 15th century England...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Sortof.  It's VERY freeform.  The entire 'world' has been 99.9% generated by the players.  And the modelling is very customizable..texturemaps can be done in photoshop and imported.. animations can be done using poser and imported.. streaming audio..streaming video.. hey listen to me I'm like an advertisment :)

ANyways..once I get Brat done..you'll see what it looks like.  The graphics arn't super sharp..it's the flexibility that's cool.

It's more the clunky system trying to buy the skills and making sure I don't forget anything important.. ya know like "Vehicle Operation - Temporal Vehicle" or "Technology - TARDIS systems" or "Temporal Sciences"

Right now determining my past incarnations..I'm slowly pulling a story around Mistress now.

Valerian

You are like an advertisement.  However, since I already have more than enough net addictions, I should probably stay away from the place.  I don't know what Model Hostages is, but I do have a cat named Brat.  :)

Yeah, all those tech skils can get confusing.  Hm, maybe we should call her Missy or something in public...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Meh.  I've actually kicked the SL habit..right now I'm sortof addicted to this place called Elliquiy :)  Especially with some of the RP here..it's AMAZING. 

I think Mistress is fine..especially in medieval times..it was accepted..it's more recent that it has darker connentations.  It's also in the tone.. Mistress as a sign of respect is alot differnet then Mistress please beat me more :b

Valerian

Everything's just a gateway drug...

Yes, my character will have no problem with the term, of course, but if and when we end up in more modern settings, the title might be misinterpreted...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Hunter

Can't say that I've seen the new stuff (been working nights and weekends).  But I don't think you'd have to be human (or humaniod) to play in a Doctor Who style game.

kasen03

Val - Yeppers :) On every account.  Besides.. that's also what made Doctor such a quirky title..it's just so perfect.

Hunter - I suppose that would be largely influenced by the DM and his idea.  If we're sticking to mostly earth..and earth of the past..it would be difficult for a slathering 14 foot beastie to walk.  (or a Dalek or Cyberman)

There is also the need for party cohesiveness.  There needs to be a reason you were taken from your world to be a companion.. whether it's you snuck on board..were picked up.. rescued..etc

3ldr1tch

I'm so glad there's so much interest in this one.

I've asked Lilac to set up a forum in NC Freeform Exotic.

Kasen I got your character. I like her.

This means the time lady is officially taken (In the sense of someone is playing her, rather than in the other sense ;))

I take it Valerian wants to be a fifteenth(?) centuary lady. So Ill nead a thread for that era.

Nat wants to be a K9, which means either she can be already on board the TARDIS, or I can give her a thread for a future earth and have her current master or mistress either die or become another companion.

I have an idea for a starting story which will bring all the players together fairly quickly. I won't give too much away at this point.

Kasen - I'm not famailiar with the game mechanics, but I can kind of guess at your skill levels.

I'm making this freeform in the sense that I will just be asking for relative descriptions of character's abilitie. I will generate a character sheet transparent to all players and roll any dice that I need to transparently. I'll use the storytelling to inform people of how injured / scared / successful they are.

I'll probably use the COC rules, only because I'm most familiar with those rules.

kasen03

I'll find some pages and retype some stuff tonight from the skill levels.  Basically.. 3-4ish is average (for a human) statwise.. 3 level would be considered 'professional'  Above that gets into some expertise and specialization.

*grins* That Charisma of 6.. That's pretty nice *heh heh* This IS an adult game afterall.. I gotta be a hottie ;)

I left her psyche pretty damaged from her history.  And for the K-9.. she could have just been on the old 42b when I fell into it.. which means she'd probably be more in tune with the TARDIS then Mistress would.

I hope you liked the backstory.  Incidentally I found a character sheet (in one of the books) from like 15 years ago..that's why I worked in the husbind angle..who may or may not have escaped the destruction of Gallifrey. :)

Incidentally..if you're using CoC..I'm glad I'm not in my 2nd incarnation.. that pesky personality trait of 'fearful' would probably translate to a stupidly low SAN score ;)

Valerian

That 'other sense' will probably happen soon enough, I'm sure...

Yes, fifteenth century, please.  I'm aiming for a young woman who's just lost her family during the Battle of Towton, the bloodiest battle ever fought on English soil.  That happened in 1461, to be precise.  I'm afraid I may start annoying you with all this, though; I've read tons about the time period and I always seem to end up chattering about it too much when given half a chance.  I know a Google search will turn up several good summaries of the battle if you just want to work with that, but I can also tell you about it if you'd like.

I can make my character's skills and flaws up in GURPS terms if that would help, and of course I'll have background written up for you later on...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

3ldr1tch

Actually I'm going to insist that you give me a history lesson. I know nothing about that period of history so you'll have to keep filling me in so that I can make the game historically accurate.

Maybe you could PM me with a basic history lesson first?

kasen03

*grins and is glad he won't hafta know that history..the only history she would need to know would be her personal Gallifreyan history.. of course  she has alot more time to learn.  Pesky long lifetimes :)

Valerian

Oh, but it's such fun history!  I just love it.  I've always wanted to play a character from that era.  And I only have to work out about twenty years or so of personal history.

She'll probably end up like Leela -- never quite understanding the TARDIS, but just learning to accept it and all the other little miracles she sees every day...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Now that we have our game thread created, I'm tempted to go into there..but I'm holding back restraint. :) Just so eager to play .. heh heh :)

It shall be interesting learning about both your character and the point in history that you're so enthusastic about :)

Valerian

Ah, our game thread.  How nice... :)

Yes, I do look forward to settling into the game and our characters; I do always like that part.  But careful what you wish for; you may learn more than you ever wanted to know about that point in history.  ;)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Hehheh..with my luck that'll be where the TARDIS materalizes.. and I'll be given a crash course in it.  *grins* Unlike the Doctor..the Mistress is not utterly versed in Earth History.  She's had other focuses for her attention..which means it will be fun roleplaying .. both the periods I know..and those I'm ignorant of.

3ldr1tch, Should we move to the TARDIS board? Perhaps open an OOC channel there for our jabbering.  I have been running at the mouth lately :) *grins*  Or if our characters meet your approval..perhaps make a character sheet thread..then some threads to start Val and myself off? ;)

Natalie C. Barney

I'm not sure if I'm going to play yet I don't have the FASA or CoC rules and can't do a character without access to them.
Natalie Clifford Barney

3ldr1tch

I'm beginning to set up the boards now. I may not be finished untill sometime tomorrow because I'll probably keep fadeing in and out of online.

NAt - I'm using the rules but they will be HIDDEN from the players. You don't have to know ANY of the game mechanics.

kasen03

DARNIT ...

I had just FINISHED writing and transposing my character sheet when it died and lost the page i was doing.  ARRG.. Computers hate me :)

Time to do it again :)

Nat..come on in..the water is warm :)

3ldr1tch

I got your history lesson, Valerian. I haven't read it yet, but I will soon.

I've set up some initial threads. Please don't post in the storyline threads untill I write introductory story posts.

Sorry to be a pain, Kasen03, but can you post your character in the character submissions thread using the character sheet template provided?

Valerian, and Nat (If you're still playing), can you submit your characters for me?

Oh and Valerian, I've put zoe back in the normal game group again on the Shadows game so you can post her waking up!

kasen03

Of course 3ld.. that's what I was doing.  Converting my character sheet to the format presented.. I had it all typed in too when it lost and gave me a 'repost form data' error..grumbles..

THIS time I'm doing it in notepad..heh heh

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: 3ldr1tch on June 08, 2005, 01:20:40 PM
I'm beginning to set up the boards now. I may not be finished untill sometime tomorrow because I'll probably keep fadeing in and out of online.

NAt - I'm using the rules but they will be HIDDEN from the players. You don't have to know ANY of the game mechanics.

OK  :)
Natalie Clifford Barney

3ldr1tch

Just started off the story on the TARDIS thread, so our resident timelady (any any sidekick that want to start in the TARDIS) can post there now.

I'll probably start the fifteenth centuary thread tomorrow (sorry Valerian)

Valerian

Oh, no problem.  I'm working on my character sheet and should have that to you later today.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

3ldr1tch

Nat, Kaisen03 and Valerian - Your characters are approved. I've got room for 2 more Players. Anyone?