(Final Fantasy VIII) Balamb Garden: Relaunch Recruitment Open

Started by Fenrir, March 10, 2015, 02:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockepick

This seems to go against the notion of Para-Magic. Would be a neat idea for a new Sorcereress though, if we had any.

EDIT: Para-Magic  is copying an existing source of magic -- whether it's a monster or a draw point. The notion of a unique spell goes against the notion of Para-Magic. It's possible the character has access to some unique draw point, but that usage is only 'unique' until somebody else gets access to it. Same for a monster with some unique, previously undiscovered spell.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Crash

Quote from: lockepick on March 15, 2015, 06:58:48 PM
This seems to go against the notion of Para-Magic. Would be a neat idea for a new Sorcereress though, if we had any.

EDIT: Para-Magic  is copying an existing source of magic -- whether it's a monster or a draw point. The notion of a unique spell goes against the notion of Para-Magic. It's possible the character has access to some unique draw point, but that usage is only 'unique' until somebody else gets access to it. Same for a monster with some unique, previously undiscovered spell.

So should I think of something else then?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Lockepick

Well to be clear, I'm not a GM. So I could be totally off base.

Either way, the general idea might be salvageable. I could easily see a Geomancer as somebody who attempts to use 'ley lines' or whatever to track down Draw Points. I'm not sure how much 'Geomancer-Action' you'd get in game, but it could still work for a general concept. You could combine that with a GF and a Limit Break that uses Geomancer-y effects to help balance out the idea.

I just think the setting doesn't really allow unique magic effects from the character -- Limit Breaks and GF seem to be the best way to replicate magic-like effects.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

PhantomPistoleer

Well, I really like the geomancer.

QuoteGeomancers use bells as weapons, and equip light tunics as armor. They can walk across dungeons without fear of traps like pitfalls, or damaging floors like lava. Their signature skill is Terrain, which lets the Geomancer execute special attacks based on the terrain the party is fighting on.

Crash, you could use a bell as your weapon!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Fenrir

While I appreciate everyone's input my decision on the matter still stands: you could create a character whose magical tactics are aimed at the environment but I will not be introducing new types of magic at this time.  I'm not saying the game will not evolve in that direction - but for now the only magics available are the ones in the magic section of the information guide.

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Fenrir on March 15, 2015, 07:34:09 PM
While I appreciate everyone's input my decision on the matter still stands: you could create a character whose magical tactics are aimed at the environment but I will not be introducing new types of magic at this time.  I'm not saying the game will not evolve in that direction - but for now the only magics available are the ones in the magic section of the information guide.

Instead of a magical geomancer, what if Crash focused more on being a technical geomancer?  I'm thinking about the skills ninjas use.

Ten-Mon (Meteorology)

Forecasting and taking advantage of weather and seasonal phenomena was an important part of any battle consideration. Ninja were trained to observe all the subtle signals from the environment in order to predict weather conditions.

Chi-Mon (Geography)

Knowing and successfully using the features of the terrain were crucial skills in the historical art of ninjutsu.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Crash

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on March 15, 2015, 07:57:10 PM
Instead of a magical geomancer, what if Crash focused more on being a technical geomancer?  I'm thinking about the skills ninjas use.

I was planning on a scout/recon type character.  Or using geomancy at a tactics thing.

Green Goo Theory

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Ashlee "Lee" Gifford
Enrollment Age: 12 in Balamb

Weapon: Atomic Scissors
-Weapon Description: A type of gun arm pieced together with a variety of purposes in mind.  First and the most obvious is it's use as a weapon in the form of mechanical pincers.  In an immobile state the weapon looks like a giant can opener.  It's capable of also changing its form to fit the task at hand into a variety of simple tools. 
Specialization: Techie, Hacker, Gadgeteer
Current Ranking: Candidate
Victory Motto: "Why's the party over?"
Limit Break: DRONE.EXE

Limit Break Description:
DRONE.EXE is a summon-style limit break that calls upon a drone built by Lee herself.  Its capable of being upgraded for more functions than normal.  Currently it's only set up for a single method of attack. 

-HELIGUNNER.EXE:  The small flying drone is called in where it begins to spin around quickly in the air to ran down gunfire at multiple targets. 

(OOC note: I was hoping that like some other limits from the game that this can be a limit break that continues to grow with other potential upgrade materials found in the game.  If that's not alright then I'll probably alter the single attack that this has.)

Personality:
Lee is just at home tearing into machines as she hanging out with a group of friends.  Despite her mechanical affinities she is not shy or socially awkward at all.  In fact she loves jumping onto opportunities for social interactions and enjoys sharing any creations with anyone that may be interested. 

Backstory:
Lee was born and raised in the town of Fisherman's Horizon to a family of tinkerers.  It was in her blood to run a cutting torch and a welder.  To tear loose rusted bolts and to piece together frames from nothing but a set of prints on a paper.  Even from the age that she could start walking she was spending most of her days in the shop looking over her parents shoulders and poking away at attempts on designs on the computer. 

As much as the village was ready to welcome her energy they were not a fan of the approach she wanted to take.  She took to weapons immediately.  Everything from piecing together a sword from a piece of scrap steel to pneumatic cannons that fired ball bearings.  To her these were toys and occasional tools for self defense; even if the threat was the occasional monster visited on the shore line. 

Few people were surprised when her accident happened.  When tinkering with a strange piece of equipment that had been sitting in the old scrap piles of the village for decades it activated.  What was once thought to be an old weapon or vehicle had in fact been a damaged and dormant Guardian Force.  It's unexpected awakening was violent and explosive.  Part of the makeshift shop came down around Lee resulting in sever wounds on the then young girl.  As repayment for repairing it as well as the involuntery injuries Ark chose to allow itself to be junctioned by the young girl.

After that Lee's drive was split.  Between her tinkering and strengthening her bond with the Guardian Force.  A lifestyle her parents felt was better suited in the hands of a Garden.  An opportunity that she was willing to leap at.  A chance at better and newer equipment and to better the prosthetic limb that she felt was a blessing in disguise.  It was only natural that Balamb would be chosen given its close ties with the town. 

Once at the Garden she was somewhat disappointing as a student.  She had an exceptional mind but she was scatter brained.  Many times in class she was found doodling some sort of new design on everything from a napkin to the desk mounted computers situated in the class rooms.  Assignments meant to be taken home were often late or missing entirely.  The faculty were often times forced to take away her privelages in the garage where she would spend many nights working on the vehicles. 

It wasn't until training in the field that Lee found the need to buckle down on her studies.  No matter how well she built her weapons it required practical experience to go along with it.  She needed the ability to draw the magic and use it.  She needed to find a way to strengthen her Guardian Force.  She knew that she had a lot more to learn in order to become a SeeD. 

Appearance:
Lee stands and a diminutive 5'0" (maybe 5'2" with her hair up) with her hair kept shaved close on the sides of her head.  Her hair has been known to change colors often and almost always in bright unnatural shades.  While covered in piercings she does try to maintain a professional appearance while in uniform and keep them removed.  She has multiple scars across her body that in the year since have been covered by a variety of tattoos. 

See above. 

A face claim alternative appearnace.

GF APPLICATION

Name: Ark
Established Connection:  Lee discovered Ark among the variety of broken down machinery traded or sold to Fisherman's Horizon for parts and salvage.  At first it was thought to simply be a discarded weapon of war that even many people of the small industry town wanted nothing to do with at all due to the nature of such a machine.  Lee however let her curiosity get the best her and she delved into it and started repairs.  Little did she know that this piece of technology she could hardly understand was in fact a Guardian Force.  The violent and explosion awakening of the long dormant Guardian Force gravely injured Lee that resulted in the prosthetic and scars she bears today.  It was in the aftermath that the Guardian Force took it upon itself to join Lee and allow itself to be Junctioned to her. 
Element: Shadow
Description: Ark is a living machine whose native form is that of an airship (spaceship in its native canon.  Either way).  Its large cannon is spinal mounted and makes up a majority of the length of Ark in its ship form.  Its limbs are folded up and take up portions of its fuselage.  It's legs open up and take up the position of both wings and engines positioned towards the rear.  It's capable of transforming between that form and the humanoid form pictured above.  If in a fight (I.E. a boss fight) it can fight in either form for different strengths. 
Bonus:  Auto-scan, Armor, Machine Speech*****
Special Attack:  Eternal Darkness
-Special Attack Description:
When summoned Ark is pulled through a portal in the upper atmosphere and begins a straight dive for the target.  In the middle of its descent Ark spins rapidly with its limbs flipping outward and dropping its speeds drastically.  Its main gun is angled around and stabilized by both arms with a visible glow and arcing electricity running up and down the length of the cannon.  While its charging pods open up across Ark's back and a large array of missiles to bombard the entire area.  By the time the missiles are done firing the cannon is ready and a single shot is launched creating an explosion to envelop multiple targets. 

Character Journal
TBA.

Machine Speak:  A lesser form of Technopathy in almost the same way Empathy is like a lesser form of Telepathy.  While it doesn't allow outright communication it would give Lee something of a hint.  She could feel stress points in a device almost like pain in a living creature or catch a better glimpse into machine code she may not otherwise be familiar with.  In order to read the signals relayed to her it still requires a certain degree of technical understanding.
Coming soon...

kckolbe

Definitely a pleasant surprise with her.  Between that and your solid criticism of FF8, looking forward to playing with you.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: kckolbe on March 15, 2015, 11:43:46 PM
Definitely a pleasant surprise with her.  Between that and your solid criticism of FF8, looking forward to playing with you.

Thanks a lot. 

Were you expecting a bad character or what?  Not that I'm shocked if you were; I asked a lot of questions and my comments were all over the place.  I'm just kind of curious. 

Coming soon...

kckolbe

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on March 15, 2015, 11:55:33 PM
Thanks a lot. 

Were you expecting a bad character or what?  Not that I'm shocked if you were; I asked a lot of questions and my comments were all over the place.  I'm just kind of curious.

I didn't think you were really inspired.  Like you said, you were all over the place, so I thought you wanted to play but didn't really have anything calling to you.  Plus, she's just cool as shit.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: kckolbe on March 16, 2015, 12:03:26 AM
I didn't think you were really inspired.  Like you said, you were all over the place, so I thought you wanted to play but didn't really have anything calling to you.  Plus, she's just cool as shit.

Ah, yeah.  I was motivated to play but like you said my inspiration on a solid character concept was kind of lacking.  I wanted to try to avoid stepping on toes or having a repeat character with weapons, summons, etc.  It's hard but I think I accomplished it and I built a character I'll have tons of fun with.  Thanks for the compliments too.  I'm not used to getting them for character creation. 
Coming soon...

Inari

I have noticed no one has taken Alexander but I am unsure how I would implement it if I were to choose it:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Alexander_%28Summon%29

I have considered asking for a custom GF but I would be unsure if I would be allowed something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vT4pGd4gRU

Revenent

Quote from: Starcry on March 16, 2015, 01:06:46 PM
I have noticed no one has taken Alexander but I am unsure how I would implement it if I were to choose it:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Alexander_%28Summon%29

I have considered asking for a custom GF but I would be unsure if I would be allowed something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vT4pGd4gRU

As long as its attacks and bonuses aren't overpowered, you can (pretty much) do whatever you want for a custom GF. :-)

Green Goo Theory

I had considered Alexander but had no ideas on how the character would get it.  So I decided to instead go with alexanders alien equivalent. 
Coming soon...

Inari

In FFVIII you can draw it from Edea or in the final castle fight. I managed to get it from Edea and it was AMAZING! >.<

I am trying my best to figure it out myself. But because I don't know which gender to play I have decided to go for twins. One will have Alexander and the other Dark Falz.

P.S

I loooooooove the song for your character's theme tune~

Letrixia

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Starcry on March 16, 2015, 04:14:03 PM
In FFVIII you can draw it from Edea or in the final castle fight. I managed to get it from Edea and it was AMAZING! >.<

I am trying my best to figure it out myself. But because I don't know which gender to play I have decided to go for twins. One will have Alexander and the other Dark Falz.

P.S

I loooooooove the song for your character's theme tune~

Yeah, I knew where to get Alexander.  It's one of my favorite summons of all time.  There's...just no Edea to draw it from for the sake of the RP.

Annd...my character's theme song?  If so thanks.  I just felt it...fit.  Even if the character may not be wearing the titular outfit (or at least not all the time...).
Coming soon...

Revenent

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on March 16, 2015, 11:38:17 PM
Yeah, I knew where to get Alexander.  It's one of my favorite summons of all time.  There's...just no Edea to draw it from for the sake of the RP.

Annd...my character's theme song?  If so thanks.  I just felt it...fit.  Even if the character may not be wearing the titular outfit (or at least not all the time...).

They don't necessarily have to be retrieved from the same place. The heroes already got them, after all. I imagine all of the GFs from VIII have either decided to work with Garden like Shiva and Quetz did (Phoenix and Bahamut are currently assigned to two of the NPC instructors, even), or they went off somewhere else to wait for a worthy junctioner. I see Alexander being of the latter variety.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Revenent on March 16, 2015, 11:46:59 PM
They don't necessarily have to be retrieved from the same place. The heroes already got them, after all. I imagine all of the GFs from VIII have either decided to work with Garden like Shiva and Quetz did (Phoenix and Bahamut are currently assigned to two of the NPC instructors, even), or they went off somewhere else to wait for a worthy junctioner. I see Alexander being of the latter variety.

I was halfway joking.  I really didn't come up with anything personally that felt right for Alexander.  Not even the story I ended up using to collect Ark even though both are artificial entities. 

Also...I knew about Phoenix and Bahamut.  I wanted Phoenix...  >:( *shakes fist at the NPC character*
Coming soon...

Revenent

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on March 17, 2015, 12:05:36 AM
I was halfway joking.  I really didn't come up with anything personally that felt right for Alexander.  Not even the story I ended up using to collect Ark even though both are artificial entities. 

Also...I knew about Phoenix and Bahamut.  I wanted Phoenix...  >:( *shakes fist at the NPC character*

Banon's an asshole, so I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to convince Fen to kill him off. >:)

Letrixia

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Kaoru Mishida
Enrollment Age: 5
(optional)

Weapon: Name Weapon Description: Linked Soul Sword: Her sword is linked with the spirit of the dead mother making it light as a feather for her but for other people are as heavy as a building. [Something like Thors hammer]. Her sword is also a storage for willing souls that want to help her, making her more powerful and granting her abilities each one she collects. [Can be extremely rare]
Specialization: Close Combat
Current Ranking:Candidate
Victory Motto: She says nothing but bows to the body of the dead enemy granting respect to their soul even if its an enemy.
Limit Break:Spirits of the DeadLimit Break Description: Her eyes glow a pale shade of white and her sword releases all stored souls to help her in battle. Each soul grants her duplicate strength and speed making her a very dangerous opponent when she uses this.

Personality:
She is often times quiet and an introvert however she is capable of having fun if she trusts the person. She has a deep hatred for people who disrespects her or any of her friends to the point that she can even loose control of herself when her friends are in danger. She has been known to have a double personality, the usual one when she is much to herself and the one that she rarely shows one that would kill without any remorse to protect those she loves. She tends to keep calm by playing Triple Triad which makes her meditate.

Backstory: She was born inside the garden by a SeeD that was forced to retire for awhile to give birth to Kaoru. Since little all she ever known was the world of her mother, coming home with bandaged wounds and sometimes even in deep depression. Since little she was taught of the importance of respect to every living soul, human, animal or whatever else. She was explained that souls deserved as much respect and care as any human and to give respects to everybody, enemy or otherwise. However that didn't prepared her for what was about to come.

Two weeks later she got word of her mothers falling in battle. She entered the school as fast as she could and worked hard to allow her comrades and her friends to earn their respect and love. It was then when she found her mothers sword on her home and as soon as she grabbed it she noticed her mothers soul in it, she granted her with the ability of soul gathering and told her that she would always be there for her. (Souls gathered as GF's).

Appearance:

GF APPLICATION
Name: Mother
Established Connection:  the dead soul of her mother turned GF. They been together since little and she always protected Kaoru.
Element: Darkness
Description:
Bonus:  Attack Bonus, Speed Bonus and Regeneration ability.
Special Attack:Dark Wave BlastSpecial Attack Description: She slays over the ground sending a wave of dark matter against the enemy.

Character Journal
This is where you can choose to 'record' events or extra facts about your character for other's benefit: either from the beginning or throughout the game. If this is a new character, you are welcome to include things that their average classmate should know about them already.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Revenent on March 17, 2015, 12:09:14 AM
Banon's an asshole, so I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to convince Fen to kill him off. >:)

Huh...  Killing the Junctioner of Phoenix. 
Coming soon...