Doomtown (A Deadlands RPG/Interest Check)

Started by Ciosa, February 23, 2013, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciosa

For anyone who'd like a sig link:

Left side:

[float=left][url=https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Doomtown][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/c/c6/Doomtown-Btn.png[/img][/url][/float]

Right side:

[float=right][url=https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Doomtown][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/c/c6/Doomtown-Btn.png[/img][/url][/float]

Center:

[center][url=https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Doomtown][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/c/c6/Doomtown-Btn.png[/img][/url][/center]

Michael Corvus did the logo for it!  Thanks, Michael!

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Kuroneko

Quote from: Crash on February 28, 2013, 12:51:14 PM
There are multiple tribes within the "Sioux" of which the Lakota are one, but they share language and culture.  That doesn't mean that there arn't customs that very between individual tribes but if you asked them they would say they are one people. 

If there is one thing I learned it is that Native Americans are an incredibly diverse good and to assume one is the same as the other is very wrong. However technically "Sioux" is the white man's word for the seven tribes of the "Sioux" that share much and tend to consider themselves one people.

Sioux was used by one tribe to refer to another tribe as their enemy.  White man mistakenly thought it was the name of a tribe.

I believe the above list is a more modern political structure.  Anyway if you would like to discuss in PM I would be happy too.

Nope, not particularly, I'm not really up for a debate on the intricies of Sioux culture and language.  But thanks for the offer.  Ciosa as GM will decide what's canon to the game world and that's really all that matters. 

Just fyi - the information I provided is directly from a friend who is a Native American History professor, who is herself Ashininabe.  Yes, Sioux is a French version of the Ojibwa word nadewisou, which means 'treacherous snakes.'  The Native name for Sioux means 'an alliance of friends.'  But I have to contradict you and mention that there are three distinct languages within the Sioux Nation, (Lakota - spoken by seven tribes, Western Dakota - spoken by two, and Eastern Dakota spoken by four) so not all bands share the same language or, as Ciosa pointed out earlier, culture.

As you said, you can't say one small band is the same as another.  They're all very distinct and unique, even when they do share common qualities.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Mithlomwen

Gosh, I didn't mean to start a debate.  *laugh* 

Back onto the subject of the game.  Where is it that I go again to create a character profile? 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

xPeachyPuff

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 28, 2013, 01:30:47 PM

Back onto the subject of the game.  Where is it that I go again to create a character profile?

On the first post of this thread is the character profile sheet and then you PM it to Ciosa (:

-xSRx

Crash

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 28, 2013, 01:30:47 PM

No big deal.  Kuro and I are simply discussing an interesting topic and coming from different angles. I too have interviewed and spoken with Lakota and "Sioux" and have gotten different information and points of view than she has from no less esteemed sources.  Part of it is an issue between modern political alliances and pre-European contact as well.  So much has changed between European contact and now that it is a difficult and complex topic especially for Non-Native Americans.

I have become a huge supporter of Native American rights since leaning more about them and much of the information on the Internet is wrong.  However my specialty is more Native Californians and to a lesser extent South Western tribes. 

Again the game is the game and apparently secret story wise the Sioux are in Gamorra for a reason no one knows about.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

Mith - Are you going warrior, Shaman or something in between?

Ciosa

Quote from: Kuroneko on February 28, 2013, 01:26:22 PM
Nope, not particularly, I'm not really up for a debate on the intricies of Sioux culture and language.  But thanks for the offer.  Ciosa as GM will decide what's canon to the game world and that's really all that matters. 

Just fyi - the information I provided is directly from a friend who is a Native American History professor, who is herself Ashininabe.  Yes, Sioux is a French version of the Ojibwa word nadewisou, which means 'treacherous snakes.'  The Native name for Sioux means 'an alliance of friends.'  But I have to contradict you and mention that there are three distinct languages within the Sioux Nation, (Lakota - spoken by seven tribes, Western Dakota - spoken by two, and Eastern Dakota spoken by four) so not all bands share the same language or, as Ciosa pointed out earlier, culture.

As you said, you can't say one small band is the same as another.  They're all very distinct and unique, even when they do share common qualities.

Quote from: Crash on February 28, 2013, 01:54:55 PM
No big deal.  Kuro and I are simply discussing an interesting topic and coming from different angles. I too have interviewed and spoken with Lakota and "Sioux" and have gotten different information and points of view than she has from no less esteemed sources.  Part of it is an issue between modern political alliances and pre-European contact as well.  So much has changed between European contact and now that it is a difficult and complex topic especially for Non-Native Americans.

I have become a huge supporter of Native American rights since leaning more about them and much of the information on the Internet is wrong.  However my specialty is more Native Californians and to a lesser extent South Western tribes. 

Again the game is the game and apparently secret story wise the Sioux are in Gamorra for a reason no one knows about.

Their are canon reasons in the game that the Native Americans will have reason to work together, but I don't care to discuss them; they're major spoiler territory, and I'll leave it at that.   The Sioux Union present in Gomorra is a pastiche of different cultures and tribes, but that's because there are a number of tribes living together, even tribes that historically were enemies with one another.  In general, I intend to play the tribes as historically accurate and culturally accurately as I can, but I also don't have the time or energy to read a small library to become familiar with a tribe.  I apologize if there are minor inaccuracies - I'll do my best to correct them if they're pointed out.

I would appreciate any reliable links on the culture of the Sioux - which is the name of the political body they've created for themselves, probably ironically, in the face of the Union attempting to seize Deadwood and the Black Hills.  Please PM them to me, and I'll familiarize myself with as much as I can.  The Natives that are present in Gomorra are representatives of literally over a dozen tribes, not all of them belonging to the Black Hills family - there are Apache and Navajo for instance. 

In general, I'd request that debates about historical accuracy/inaccuracy be done privately, mostly because some people can find they make a game a little tense.  This is a fantasy game set in a pseudo-historical setting, and there are people riding around in airships and dragons eating poor miners in the remains of California.  :D  I don't believe anyone is going to mistake it for factual history, so errors and gaffes may happen, and I'll ask everyone to put on their fuzzy glasses when that happens and nod and enjoy the narrative without getting too hung up on the details.

Crash

No problem Ciosa.  I don't plan on having Agatha know a thing about the culture and if I have made anyone uncomfortable I do apologize.  This will be the last I speak of it here. :)

I will go back to formulating all sorts of delicious-inators and thinking up more background for the copper haired mad scientist.

Game question.  When might I see rules for the Mad Scientist arcane background?

Phaia

gonnna try and have Lady Boyle finished today

Just have not had the time to set aside to work on characters and i have several in the process

Phaia

Mithlomwen

Quote from: xSnorkleRainbow on February 28, 2013, 01:31:31 PM
On the first post of this thread is the character profile sheet and then you PM it to Ciosa (:

-xSRx

Thank you! 

Quote from: Crash on February 28, 2013, 02:07:46 PM
Mith - Are you going warrior, Shaman or something in between?

Tentatively thinking Shaman.  Was doing some brainstorming with a friend, and came up with some really awesome ideas for her.  Just need to chew on them for a while and fit all the pieces together. 

Though I will say that I'll be taking many liberties with her character.  I'm going to try and keep her relatively 'historically accurate', but I guarantee that she will do/say things that might not fit exactly with her specific tribe.  The way I understand it is that the Native Americans have become a conglomeration, and while specific tribes are still recognized, my character will have grown up around all of them, so there will be things she will have adopted from other tribes, and there will be some things that I just make up.  ;D   
Baby, it's all I know,

Crash

It's fiction.  Liberties are a okay.  I plan on Agatha taking liberties whenever she can. ;)

Ciosa

Quote from: Crash on February 28, 2013, 02:26:14 PM
No problem Ciosa.  I don't plan on having Agatha know a thing about the culture and if I have made anyone uncomfortable I do apologize.  This will be the last I speak of it here. :)

I will go back to formulating all sorts of delicious-inators and thinking up more background for the copper haired mad scientist.

Game question.  When might I see rules for the Mad Scientist arcane background?

Crash - the arcane backgrounds are a little lower on my list of priorities at the moment.  If someone's interested in playing an arcane background, PM me with requests for what specifically you might need (skills/stats wise) and I'll get back to you with suggestions as rapidly as I can.  Thanks everyone for your patience, I'm getting details up as fast as I can.

Mithlomwen

You are doing awesome!  I'm mind boggled at all of the stuff you've gotten done so far! 
Baby, it's all I know,

Crash

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 28, 2013, 02:45:06 PM
You are doing awesome!  I'm mind boggled at all of the stuff you've gotten done so far!

+1

Phaia

If you paid for a fine or Extraordinary piece of gear ... say a gun...would that make a difference in anything ?
How about the same for poor or el cheapo!!

Phaia

Love And Submission

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 27, 2013, 04:27:29 PM
Wow, so many pictures.  I feel bad.  Normally I try to stir clear of famed actors and actresses, but this one picture has been the guiding image throughout the process.

I like the look in her eyes and the dirt on her features.  Plus a Chinese girl with freckles is too cute for this setting.

I don't if it's to late but you should totally use that picture.

Then you  and my character can have a Reunion....  One hundred and thirty six years in the past and on the other side of the country.
He could totally use a sobriety coach...

( I  love anyone who gets this reference forever and ever.)

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Niferbelle

That's an awesome picture, Pumpkin Seeds. I think you should use it. And you love me, DTW, you really love me. It's elementary.

I'm very excited to have settled on a character concept. Now to just get the character sheet banged out. I borrowed a pic from Ciosa's western thread and this is her.

Crash

Nice pic Niferbelle.

Gonna spill the concept or do we need to wait?

Ciosa

Quote from: Phaia on February 28, 2013, 06:17:58 PM
If you paid for a fine or Extraordinary piece of gear ... say a gun...would that make a difference in anything ?
How about the same for poor or el cheapo!!

Phaia

the differences in quality are degrees of craftsmanship.  Taking a simple example, like a book of matches - a book of matches is going to work as expected at ordinary level, it'll have a large percentage of 'dud' matches at the poor/el cheapo level, and at the fine/extraordinary level they'll perform better than expected - they'll be able to light when damp, or maybe able to get a fire going in the middle of a rainstorm.  Higher quality items are also going to be more impressive to those impressed by wealth and status. 

Dhi

Niferbelle, that's a great image. Cheesecake cowgirls are great and all, but a picture with character is even better. Something like that inspires me.

Phaia

Quote from: Ciosa on February 28, 2013, 07:40:25 PM
the differences in quality are degrees of craftsmanship.  Taking a simple example, like a book of matches - a book of matches is going to work as expected at ordinary level, it'll have a large percentage of 'dud' matches at the poor/el cheapo level, and at the fine/extraordinary level they'll perform better than expected - they'll be able to light when damp, or maybe able to get a fire going in the middle of a rainstorm.  Higher quality items are also going to be more impressive to those impressed by wealth and status.

just seeing if paying extra for really good pistol would help in its accuracy

btw did not see anything about knives, swords, bows etc listed in the gear section

Lady Boyle may just carry a knife on her

love the image Niferbelle

Phaia

Bloodied Porcelain

*Randomly pops in, plops a kiss on Ciosa's cheek, and scampers back out again*
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Phaia

ya know what we need in doom town

Zorro!!!

Come on one of you guys play and updated zorro

Phaia

Ciosa

Quote from: Phaia on February 28, 2013, 07:56:17 PM
just seeing if paying extra for really good pistol would help in its accuracy

btw did not see anything about knives, swords, bows etc listed in the gear section

Lady Boyle may just carry a knife on her

love the image Niferbelle

Phaia

Phaia, functionally, it'll improve EVERYTHING.  Appearance, effective range, likeliness to jam or misfire, accuracy, etc.  It's less likely to go off if its dropped, it has a better grip, and its likely weighted for the user. 

Oh dang, I forgot two tables - one for ammo costs and the second for non-firearm weapons.

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on February 28, 2013, 08:09:09 PM
*Randomly pops in, plops a kiss on Ciosa's cheek, and scampers back out again*

*blushes and gives Porcelain a squeeze before she scampers off*

And no Zorro.  :P