Adapted and original character Justice League Interest Check

Started by JosuT, November 08, 2013, 12:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JosuT

Hi all, I know that there are likely other Justice League groups out there and some that are thinking of starting their own, but myself and another are planning on creating our own. Our twist on the idea is that we plan on really having it be the Justice League in name alone. The structure of the team and the members may be completely different from canon and the world that the team exists in may also be very different. You may use canon characters, but we highly encourage everyone to adapt the character and make them your own. Change their history to adapt them into a character that is truly yours. Or simply create a brand new character. There are many possibilities here. I even hesitate to say if it is the JLA or JLI or Task Force or anything like that. We will be creating a new universe and the exact history hasn't been set yet, but there will be plenty of freedom to change things. I am even thinking of setting it a couple of years in the future so everyone will need to explain what their character has been doing over the past couple of years and not just take over the character from the last issue of their comic. My co-mod and I will hopefully discuss and plan out the world within the next day.

To give you some ideas, our plan is to have the first villain be Maxwell Lord. He has managed to find a way to control another team of heroes from behind the scenes. He has access to highly detailed information on some superheroes and because of that, he is highly dangerous and needs to be stopped. The Justice League has learned of this and has decided to act. They go to bring him in, but he manages to use the other team of heroes to fight off the JL. That team will need to be defeated or have Maxwell's mind control broken before they can go after him. This leaves an opening for new JL members since Lord won't have detailed info on new heroes. Or you could play a character that is initially a member of the team Lord controls, but after the fight could join up with the JL. There are options and opportunities.

An example of changing your character would be the things I'm considering with my character. I will be playing Guy Gardner. Depending on who else we have in the rp I may have him as never having been honour guard. Certain events in the history of the JL Corps may not have happened. If there is no Tora Olafsdotter in the rp I am thinking of changing his history so that the two of them never dated. Maybe he dated someone else and they helped change him into who he is today, but they would be dead now and he would be open to find someone new. There are many options that I'm thinking about and will only decide when we have finished creating the world and once we know what other characters would be in the rp as well.

So, if you are interested, let me know. Feel free to even suggest a few things or reserve a character. Anyone is welcome who hasn't already been claimed. Any other Green Lantern is welcome as well, including aliens like Soranik Natu or Kilowog. Though more than a couple green lanterns might turn this more into a GL Corps story which isn't quite what we're aiming for. Though I am not sure what character my co-creator has in mind at this point, so there is another claimed character that I can't confirm at this point. Hopefully there won't be any confusion with that.

The game will be freeform writing with no requirements for a certain number of posts. Though we would hope that you would let us know if you are having difficulty posting or don't have the time to post.

I hope this interests some of you. I've tried to add as much detail to this as I can to show the focus of it and the first story, though there will be another, larger story that will unfold over time. If you have questions or suggestions, post them here or send me a PM.

Scribbles

Colour me interested, I've been looking for a good super hero game!

As for whether E needs a new JL game, shouldn't this conversation be brought to PMs?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

JosuT

Quote from: BlackestKnight on November 08, 2013, 01:28:45 AM
I'm not going to tell you how to run your own game but does elliquiy need another generic justice league template game at this time...not really. If everyone is selling rice, why would I want to enter the rice market? I would start selling bread or something. Chances are your game isn't going to be very successfully because people have two other alternatives to choose from including some of the active superhero games. A Green Lantern corps game may be a tad more risky, bit it has it's fair share of upsides as well. One being novelty. Just how many green lantern corps games can you say there are? Also, it's a good change of pace, new environments, new genres to explore.  Find your niche and do that.  I'm just telling you this right now, you probably know that your justice league idea probably isn't the most sound at the moment.  I'm not trying to be mean but Green Knights grab me a bit more than justice league.

Personally, I am very interested in doing a GL Corps game, and I may create one some time in the future. Green Lantern Corps is my favorite series and Guy Gardner is my favorite character. But this is the idea I'm working on right now with someone else. We have come up with the concept and are planning out the story that we will be working with. This might not be extremely successful in terms of numbers, but even if it only has five or six of us playing, as long as we enjoy it, it is worth it. You don't need 20 people to have an amazing rp. I am very confident that we can create a good story that will be interesting and fun.

Quote from: Scribbles on November 08, 2013, 01:30:27 AM
Colour me interested, I've been looking for a good super hero game!

As for whether E needs a new JL game, shouldn't this conversation be brought to PMs?

Thanks for the interest. And yes, the conversation would be better suited for PM rather than within the thread. BlackestKnight, your lack of interest is noted and I hope you can find the type of story that you are actually interested in.

Lithium

Quote from: BlackestKnight on November 08, 2013, 01:28:45 AM
I'm not going to tell you how to run your own game but does elliquiy need another generic justice league template game at this time...not really. If everyone is selling rice, why would I want to enter the rice market? I would start selling bread or something. Chances are your game isn't going to be very successfully because people have two other alternatives to choose from including some of the active superhero games. A Green Lantern corps game may be a tad more risky, bit it has it's fair share of upsides as well. One being novelty. Just how many green lantern corps games can you say there are? Also, it's a good change of pace, new environments, new genres to explore.  Find your niche and do that.  I'm just telling you this right now, you probably know that your justice league idea probably isn't the most secure at the moment.  I'm not trying to be mean or discourage you but Green Lanterns in the form of Emerald Knights grabs me a bit more than justice league title #48539572.

Your rice analogy doesn't work at all, because it presumes that the only criteria that can differentiate one game from another is the theme/setting. Personally, I've already checked out all of the other superhero or Justice League games that were recently posted and wasn't remotely interested in any of them. Either there was some sort of system that didn't appeal to me, or it was already too flooded with players, or the presentation didn't impress me, all of those factors are just as if not more important than the theme to me (and other people, I would imagine). To use your own example, think of it as selling a different kind of rice that nobody else on the market is offering.

Quote from: JosuT on November 08, 2013, 01:43:59 AM
Personally, I am very interested in doing a GL Corps game, and I may create one some time in the future. Green Lantern Corps is my favorite series and Guy Gardner is my favorite character. But this isn't only my idea. I am working with someone else to plan this and it was her idea to begin with. Since she isn't online at the moment I can't really discuss changes with her. I also don't simply want to change her idea. This might not be extremely successful, but even if it only has five or six of us playing, as long as we enjoy it, it is worth it. You don't need 20 people to have an amazing rp. I am very confident that we can create a good story that will be interesting and fun.

Like you said, I wouldn't consider a game to be successful just because it has a ton of players. In fact, I prefer smaller games by far and find them to be more successful in general, so consider me interested as long as the player count doesn't go beyond 8.

JosuT

Quote from: Lithium on November 08, 2013, 03:06:51 AM
Like you said, I wouldn't consider a game to be successful just because it has a ton of players. In fact, I prefer smaller games by far and find them to be more successful in general, so consider me interested as long as the player count doesn't go beyond 8.

Well, I can't promise there won't be more than 8 people interested and if you decide to drop out if it gets above 8, I understand. But if you do stick around, even if it is more than 8 people, I hope that we can still have it feel like a nice rp that isn't too crazy and too full of people.

ladia2287

I created an OC that I could bring along as a junior Leaguer if that's okay? I usually play her as either a protege or adopted daughter of Nightwing

JosuT

Quote from: ladia2287 on November 08, 2013, 03:24:40 AM
I created an OC that I could bring along as a junior Leaguer if that's okay? I usually play her as either a protege or adopted daughter of Nightwing
I think that could definitely work.

mia h

Well, now that Mr Stroppy-pants has vacated the premises  ;D
Definately interested, so basically you are looking for either orginals character or cannon-lite characters.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

JosuT

Well, we are in discussion about that. Original characters are great. We are trying to decide on a story line and when to set it. I am having difficulty with the idea of basing it off of any New 52 story line since there is very little information about what exactly is going on in the New 52 online. You basically have to have read all the comics to understand. Well, that's 52 comics, with an issue a month for a couple of years now. Not everyone has the time or money for that. If you haven't read the comics it can cause confusion about what is canon since it is hard to know what got changed about a character's background and what certain character relationships are.

If we set it a little farther back we can use canon a lot easier. We can also set it so things are changed a little, but we also don't want to push it too far so that if (though it is likely inevitable) someone leaves, we have a chance to allow someone else to take over the character without too much difficulty. I think what we will do for this is that we will go with the ability to change the character's history, but we will try to keep their personalities similar to what they are in the comics. So if a character would not kill someone, then they likely shouldn't intentionally kill someone in the rp. The reasoning for this is that if we are really changing the character's personality, are we really playing that character? Or are we playing an original character who is just very similar in appearance, name, and background to a canon character?

mia h

By cannon-lite there's enough of the cannon character so they are still recognizable as that character, but not so much that it interferes with anyone else choice of character.
So using your example of Guy Gardner, he'd still be a red headed loud mouth with no sense of subtlety but there no reason why he'd have to know Tora and so on

JosuT

We'll really have to see how we set it up. This isn't only my idea and my story line. there are two of us working on it. Once we know more about what the world is going to look like we will be able to explain our hopes and expectations in more detail. I can't really say any more than that at the moment.

MaiMizzu

Might wanna play supergirl..

And if I may, is this going to be like an origin story for the justice league? Like this is where they all come together? I always like that kinda thing.

Also, would we want to ggo for a more 'realistic' feel to the RP? Like almost a movieverse kinda thing? I'm just throwin out ideas and all
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

JosuT

Quote from: MaiMizzu on November 09, 2013, 04:09:38 PM
Might wanna play supergirl..
That could be interesting. Scribbles mentioned that she was wanting to play Power Girl. It might be fun to see two characters who are technically the same person from two different universes. At least I think that is how that works.

On another note, Black Canary is taken by loislanekent who is the one I'm working with to create the story.

mia h

Not sure if it's a final choice, but I leaning towards Starfire at the minute. Either her or one of about 50 others  ;D

Scribbles

I have a small suggestion, would it be possible to run the game almost like a cartoon where each episode focuses more on certain characters while advancing the plot in the background?

For example, you could have an episode focusing on Guy Gardner and the Green Lanterns. In it the team might decide to go ask the corps for assistance (with the main plot) only to find themselves swept up in an event effecting the lanterns, perhaps their situation is even more dire than the team's own? In the end, the heroes might correct the problem but it also could mean that the main plot has grown worse in their absence, or perhaps the main plot had a small hand in the crisis effecting the lanterns? You could then throw in an episode or two which revolves primarily around the main plot or move onto the next character/s to focus on.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

JosuT

Quote from: Scribbles on November 10, 2013, 03:54:31 AM
I have a small suggestion, would it be possible to run the game almost like a cartoon where each episode focuses more on certain characters while advancing the plot in the background?

For example, you could have an episode focusing on Guy Gardner and the Green Lanterns. In it the team might decide to go ask the corps for assistance (with the main plot) only to find themselves swept up in an event effecting the lanterns, perhaps their situation is even more dire than the team's own? In the end, the heroes might correct the problem but it also could mean that the main plot has grown worse in their absence, or perhaps the main plot had a small hand in the crisis effecting the lanterns? You could then throw in an episode or two which revolves primarily around the main plot or move onto the next character/s to focus on.

I don't know if we are going to set it specifically into chunks that could be called "episodes" but there will likely be minor villains and sub-plots that happen and there is a good chance that they will be more meaningful for certain characters based on location of the villains they are fighting..

JosuT

I'm sorry to say that right now we have decided that we are not going to turn this idea into a rp. We need more time to develop a good story and to figure out what we want to do with it. At some point in time we may run the game, but not right now.