Best anime-style RPG system

Started by Vice, January 19, 2009, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice

I've been thinking about picking up a new RPG book. I don't own any anime-themed RPGs at the moment, so I was wondering which system people favored. BESM seems like the most popular, but I've never heard an opinion about which of the recent editions was best; I thought the d20 version was crap though. I browsed through OVA recently and I like the simplicity, but having never put it into play, I was wondering if there were limitations that made it inferior to BESM. And I've never played Random Anime at all.

Oniya

I haven't played any of the others, so my opinion is more of a testimonial than a 'best', but I had a lot of fun with Teenagers From Outer Space (TFOS).  Now, it does have a rule that 'forces' it to be PG-13, namely that any scene that might get hot and heavy gets interrupted in as humorous and embarrassing a manner as possible.  Just like in real anime ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

I haven't tried OVA. I have RandomAnime, BESM 2nd and 3rd...

BESM 3rd is somewhat more streamlined, and where it is 'broken' easier to fix, though how is not always obvious (basically, many if not most customizations need to be per-level rather than just adding on top).

I'm pretty sure RandomAnime's rise in popularity was a paid effort. You can see this in later reviews - the game is needlessly complex on many levels. With BESM you can stick with the human-only attributes for a start and run with those.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Vice on January 19, 2009, 01:52:05 PM
I've been thinking about picking up a new RPG book. I don't own any anime-themed RPGs at the moment, so I was wondering which system people favored. BESM seems like the most popular, but I've never heard an opinion about which of the recent editions was best; I thought the d20 version was crap though. I browsed through OVA recently and I like the simplicity, but having never put it into play, I was wondering if there were limitations that made it inferior to BESM. And I've never played Random Anime at all.
And I must ask, what kind of Anime are you looking to emulate?
I mean, anime is a medium and not a genre, after all. And you can emulate a genre with different systems, including some that are not meant to be "anime-oriented".
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Mudchaser

I agree with Veks on RandomAnime.  I have no idea why it would ever be popular.

BESM is a fine game, but with each new edition, it edged closer and closer to being GURPS with 2 dice rather than 3 (3 traits rather than 4, etc).  If it's a mainstay RPG for you already, that's fine, but if you have access to any other "generic" RPG, I don't see any point to picking up BESM.  It takes just as much work to put together a good BESM campaign or character as it does to put together a good GURPS campaign or character.

I have OVA, I have run OVA, I love OVA.  It's simple, sleek, and right to the point, and the dice mechanics make for some great fun, lots of roll-and-shout moments, and the core combat system is inherently interesting enough to kee my combat-monkey players rapt at attention, while simple enough to keep my flakey drama players happy.  It's actually one of my favorite systems, though I haven't had much use for it recently, precisely because it manages what few "lite" systems do: It doesn't dumb down the rules to the point where you wonder why you need them at all.

I highly recommend the game.

[tr][td]I lack the time for any new (or even current!) stories.  My apologies.

"From this arises the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both: but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them,
it is far safer to be feared than loved."   -Machiavelli

"There's nothing sexier than swordplay"  -Stana Katic[/td][/tr][/table]