News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Of course not.  One also writes depraved fanfiction.

(Just kidding.  O:) )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on July 12, 2012, 04:13:27 PM
Of course not.  One also writes depraved fanfiction.

(Just kidding.  O:) )

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Iniquitous

Ah-ha! So that is HBO's plan on making sure they don't run out of seasons before GRR Martin gets the next book out. Make everyone wait till March 2013 for season 3. *sobs*
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Ridcully

Also one has to consider that book 4 is not really suited for a TV season for many reasons, so Season 4 will probably cover book 4 and parts of book 5. Season 5 can cover the rest of book 5 - and then starts the waiting game which fans like me know too well.

It also includes the hope he lives long enough to write book 6 and 7. That might sound a little harsh, but...you know. He's 63 now, and he takes his time to write the books.

Psi

In some ways you have to wonder why they don't do larger seasons then 10 hour episodes.

I have liked what I have seen, some very good casting :)

Nameless One

He's working on book 6 (called Winds of Winter?), the 4th Tale of Dunk and Egg, the cookbook and probably other things I don't know...
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Ridcully

Yes, book 6 is supposed to be called "The Winds of Winter".

The seventh book is titled at this time "A Dream of Spring" (I liked the earlier title, "Time for Wolves", better).

However: Martin says he takes at least 3 years to write each book. Personally, I don't expect book 6 before 2015.

Iniquitous

Martin has actually said that when he sits down to write he doesn't always know who is going to have  POV chapter and he tends to end up writing POV chapters that end up in another book - so while he is working on book 6 right now he is also working on book 7 at the same time. I suspect that is part of what takes him so long to get each book published.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Beorning

No problem, I thought I'd share ;)

BTW. I didn't connect the dots at first, but the actress playing Queen of Thorns is Diana Rigg... yes, that Diana Rigg. Diana Rigg as in: Mrs. Emma Peel. Cool  ;D

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on July 19, 2012, 04:07:50 PM

BTW. I didn't connect the dots at first, but the actress playing Queen of Thorns is Diana Rigg... yes, that Diana Rigg. Diana Rigg as in: Mrs. Emma Peel. Cool  ;D

Wow - good to see she's still around and getting work!  I remember many a night watching The Avengers while waiting for Dr. Who to come on.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Nameless One

Quote from: Beorning on July 19, 2012, 04:07:50 PM

It's a great character! Witty, funny and dangerous... Good casting choice!
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

bubby

jouzinka

Oh, God. They're so completely spot on with Shireen... and Jojen. XD
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

lionize

Talking about cliffhanging merchandise practises the german license-holder releases two books out of one english so were having 10 books already. An its so mean they have relesed them in a  2 month rhythm....they know how to make money outta addictive epics -.-

But what I wanted to say originally is, that HBO made an awesome job to transfer this twisting complexity into a TV-show. Allthough it cannot be compared to the books its a good fantasy series. If you think its to weak ( for example, the cut out battle scenes) read the books!

I think furthermore, its dangerous to watch the Series att all. Why? Because the fantasy and impressions you have, especially of the look of the protagonists can easily be overdubbed and destroyed by the pictures HBO delivered. This always is sad imho.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.

Bloodied Porcelain

I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

jouzinka

Okay, I just had to...

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Ciaran_Hinds_is_Mance_Rayder/

This is SO freakin' awesome! I will even almost swallow the words that I did picture Mance younger. ;D But I'm very sure Ciarán Hinds will deliver. :-)

jouzinka

Sorry for double post, BUT... I finished reading the books in the series. O:) No, I didn't come to tell you guys that. XD I wanted to ask whether you'd have recommendations what to read next? :-\ I would like something similarly engaging, puzzling... smart. ;D I have my eye on the Malazan Book of the Fallen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen) - on Czech fantasy website it's the top rated series in a tie with ASOIAF, so that suggests it could be good, but I'm a little put off by "high magic."

Top five also makes Andrzej Sapkowski with "Witcher." Anyone heard of it?

Oniya

Quote from: jouzinka on September 11, 2012, 06:52:15 PM

I've heard good things about the video game based on it, and reading the Wikipedia write-up on it, I have to say it looks like something I'd read.  Might have to look it up Stateside.

Beorning

Quote from: jouzinka on September 11, 2012, 06:52:15 PM

Well, sure I did. No wonder, considering where I come from...

Sapkowski is... considered very good indeed. I've read some of his short stories years ago and I'd agree that he's a good writer, although a bit on the cynical side. That put me off a little... But that's just me. I'd say, give him a try, Jouzi.

Aside from Sapkowski? Personally, I can't recommend Robin Hobb enough. I've read her Liveships trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy and was very impressed.

Oh, and I speaking of Polish writers: I don't know if there were any Czech or English editions of anything by Feliks W. Kres... but, if they exist, hunt them down. I read one book his, Piekło i szpada (which would translate roughly to The Hell and the Sword) and it was fantastic. An amazing blend of fantasy and horror.

Oniya

Stella