E running slow......

Started by Aemirys, January 11, 2012, 05:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Haruki on January 22, 2012, 05:25:59 PM
If I may ask, what is this Lazarus and where do I get it?

It sounds like it comes in handy for saving/caching what one types in forms in case the server lags or croaks.  Normally if you forward or back up or 'x' out of a page, all that 'temporary' content goes poof.

It is indeed an add on/app that cache's what you write, so if, say you accidentally hit the back button, or lose a post you've written out, you can get it all back. 

Quote from: Saffron on January 22, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
You can get it in the App Store for Chrome or the Add Ons for Firefox. Just search for Lazarus.

Saff is right, if you do a basic google search for "Lazarus" you'll find it.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Saerrael

Any news so far why Elli is slow? I'm experiencing slowness at the moment. Just watched a page take about a minute to load.

Callie Del Noire

I don't think it's my connection. I pinged E and Rpol and they both were around 40 ms (RPOL was doing slightly better but not enough to have the lag be caused by connectivity)

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Saerra on January 22, 2012, 05:44:01 PM
Any news so far why Elli is slow? I'm experiencing slowness at the moment. Just watched a page take about a minute to load.
Just a minute? Try 5, and then it randomly made my text very very small :P  It's entertaining though a bit annoying. Time for bed me thinks ;)
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Autumn Sativus

Veks appears to be away from his computer at the moment.

This two-five minute wait time is getting a bit frustrating for sure. :'(
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Saerrael

Things seem to be clearing up, here. *smiles* Things definitely are loading faster for me.
Good thing I'm using 'docs are the moment. Can't toss Lazarus on a 'top that isn't my own, would be a tad rude.. *grins*
Would be lovely to see what caused this, but not the end of the world if I don't get to learn what happened (or might still be happening).

Rinzler

It seems to be going in fits and starts. Still, not too much of a problem for me - I just keep my Twitter feed going on another tab, and peruse that when things get slow.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DeMalachine on January 22, 2012, 06:06:04 PM
It seems to be going in fits and starts. Still, not too much of a problem for me - I just keep my Twitter feed going on another tab, and peruse that when things get slow.

Somewhere..there is a cat jump on a hanging cable..

Saerrael

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 22, 2012, 06:11:50 PM

Nah, sounds like Veks forgot to feed the hamster again...

Rinzler

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 22, 2012, 06:11:50 PM
*coffeesplurtgigglesnort*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DeMalachine on January 22, 2012, 06:14:36 PM
*coffeesplurtgigglesnort*

that was what I was doing (I had made some apple cider on my Kruieg at the time)

HockeyGod

slow is better than crashing  :o

Saerrael

Didn't seem like a crash to me *smiles slightly and goes back to his book*

bubby

Definitely slow, all day long. I have faith in Veks though!

Iniquitous

It is definitely giving me fits today, moreso than usual. There for awhile I would click to load a thread I owe a post in and then walk off to watch tv  because it would take up to 5 mins to load. Then it cleared up. Now it is slowing back down again to the point that it was taking 30 seconds just to get the font face drop down to show up.

I think Veks needs to have the hamsters rowing to speed up just a wee bit  O:)
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Haloriel

Poor hamsters.  They need a break too.  Maybe sub in some ferrets?   8-)  Guinea pigs might work also.  They will work for food. ~sage nod~  In all seriousness though, I'm sure it will work out fine.

Beguile's Mistress

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once on a really old pickup truck.

"I may be slow but I'm ahead of you."

Samael

Quote from: Haruki on January 22, 2012, 05:25:59 PM
If I may ask, what is this Lazarus and where do I get it?

It sounds like it comes in handy for saving/caching what one types in forms in case the server lags or croaks.  Normally if you forward or back up or 'x' out of a page, all that 'temporary' content goes poof.

Lazarus
http://lazarus.interclue.com/
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Oreo

It took over a minute for me to try and navigate away from this page. No idea how long it will take for the post to load.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

It's there now, Oreo.  A few minutes ago I tried loading a thread in the Finder's & Seekers and I ended up on a text screen that said the page couldn't load and that the server might be busy and like a dolt I forgot to screen print it. ::)

Saerrael

I had a 502 with a message from Veks in it.

Vekseid

We seem to have a number of problems.

1) Simply, we're out of RAM. We have been for awhile, but now Linux is trying to do lots of silly things like sending a full gig to swap and then panicking while every site I run basically dies as it tries to swap what it needs back in but can't because it really likes to keep about 10% free just in case because.

I -think- I've temporarily solved that issue by restarting most of our server's services (and then because of #3, reboot the server anyway : /). But this is just going to get worse, and more frequent, until we get more RAM. I'll be posting an announcement about this here and on Blue Moon soon.

2) Our I/O situation could be better on its own.
- I should have run the mailserver off the slave server from the beginning.
- I should never have used a RAID. At all.

Regrets : /

I could setup another server 'properly' fairly cheaply (a few hundred), though Elliquiy would go down a couple of times. An SSD would be a far more dramatic improvement, but they are expensive, and I don't want to go that route until Wheezy (next version of the Linux distro I use) is stable.

3) Something else is causing random load spikes and I honestly have no idea what. Some of it, I know, is measures I took to help correct the first issue, but that isn't all of it. There are about a thousand connections to E and other sites I run open at any one time, but the server can and has handled a hundred times that in load testing. File descriptors are a similar story. It's also possible that after 200 days other things happened causing Linux to slowly degrade. 200 days is a long time to be serving millions of pageviews and handling tens of millions of database calls per day.

I just rebooted the server. If that doesn't solve #3 here (besides what I know I caused to mitigate the above) we have Problems : /
- So far, so good, though. A few seemingly random mysterious issues no longer exist. Which is good, when it comes to computers >_> Rebooting still bad : / E-penis size is measured in server uptime.

4) We do occasionally top out CPU usage, but this is incidental and extremely momentary. With the AJAX chat off of E, we tend to peak at about 50% usage.
- Getting another CPU might allow us to turn the AJAX chat back on again, but with our RAM situation so fragile I'd like to get that taken care of, first - or alongside it.

Serephino

So I'm not the only one.  For about the last 2 hours getting anything to load has been iffy. 

Beguile's Mistress

*hugs Veks*  Thank you for all that work.  It, and you, are greatly appreciated.

Kye

At the moment at least things are vastly improved on my end.  Thank you, Veks. *hugs*