Any DM/Players Seeking DnD without 'cute'?

Started by Ixy, May 28, 2011, 04:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

I'm hoping for a 3.5, 3.75, Dragon Age, or (maybe) 4.0 game that encourages most of the following:
-Detailed posts when possible
-No anime stylings
-Characters with personality and internal conflict
-Mature themes and sexuality that, while perhaps unrealistically emphasized, are not "over-the-top"
-Only 'core' sourcebooks for the setting
-Interesting settings, world details, backstory, etc. without too much reading
-An interesting group of characters
-Not a slave-fuckfest or rape/killspree holocaust, but maybe a LITTLE bit darker game

Is anyone else looking for this kind of thing?

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

PhantomPistoleer

You almost lost me at "not a fuckfest."

Ha ha.  Actually, the only thing I'm concerned about is "core books only."

But yes.  I'm looking for exactly this.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Funguy81

I'm interested in this. Though i'm only familiar with 3.5 rules.

Ixy

OK-- that is encouraging.  It would be outstanding if we could find a GM with a 'vision' for the game.  I don't think I will have the time to dedicate to actually running this kind of game, but I am, at least, thinking about it... I still have notes from the homebrew-setting game I tried to run a few months ago, but I'm really not organized enough for it right now.  I may end up with more time in about three weeks, though.

Please check back in on this thread from time to time with ideas, etc. and we can get something going.  Any specific preference on those rules, aside from what FG81 mentioned?

Aether

I have found this odd occurrence on E that prolly all present have encountered...

It seems like all the games I post to run on the same schedule, they either run all at the same time or quit in the same fashion...

Anyhoo, I am absolutely loving the higher caliber peoples and posting styles on E and find its a great group to choose from when it comes to playing by post and I LOVE D&D...

Count me in, please?  ^.^

PhantomPistoleer

I think the main problem is finding a long-term GM.  The truth is, it's a really thankless job, and it takes a lot of work to actually do it well.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Aether

I have done it in real life, but thats with books to back me up and to be quite honest, I dont know the rules well enough.  I wont be volunteering  :(

Black Howling

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 29, 2011, 03:28:41 PM
I think the main problem is finding a long-term GM.  The truth is, it's a really thankless job, and it takes a lot of work to actually do it well.
My agreement with this sentiment is why I've been hesitant to sign up. I just had a game one month back become more trouble then it was worth due to a string of whiny players. Finally I managed a good spread of them, but was completely burned out. It wasn't quite this though, and the mention of a dragon age style game does excite me.

I might be up for the task; given some time. Though the above listed etiquette may not be followed to an exact if I do choose to run it. You see I like freedom with listing the content I want to use when GMing a pathfinder game, so if I do end up GMing it I don't want to be held down to the players ideals on what should and should not be let in. I like using the APG after all. Not going to put in something you completely reject, but as Phantom said; it's a thankless job, and work on the story and world is the only real upside.

WyzardWhately

I'm always interested in a mature-ish system game with quality players.  I'm familiar with every edition of D&D.  If we can find a GM, I'm interested.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Callie Del Noire

Could be interested in a Pathfinder game.

Muse

Ixy, what is your setting request here? 

-Only 'core' sourcebooks for the setting

As in, Greyhawk without any details?  *sweat drop* 

What kind of setting is that? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crovonovin

Oddly enough, you had me at not a fuckfest!

I'd be all over a 3.5 or Pathfinder game.  Unfortunately I'm not quite sure if I have the time or the inclination to direct my full attention towards GMing (though I will be starting up a game a few months from now--stay tuned!), but of the interested parties so far I know that most of you are exactly the sort of talented folks that I enjoy playing with.

Muse, Ixy may have said that with the intent of keeping things simplistic and easy to jump into.  I'm basically completely ignorant when it comes to base Greyhawk, but I think it ultimately comes down to how the DM chooses to portray the world and what the focus is on, rather than the details we're given about it. 

Silk

Paint me interested, although I'm not veyr experienced in the DND bar 2nd ed and 4th ed

Wintercat

Might be interested, as a player, if this happened to turn out Pathfinder. I am curious even if it was as 3.5 but I am presently hoping to explore a bit more Pathfinder slowly.

I might take this up to thought as a DM if I wasn't already running 1 game with D&D, the idea looks good so I hope some DM shows up to bite up.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Remec

Mark me down as interested, as well.

Beyond the choice of edition and setting, I would want to know what sort of level range are we looking at? Are we just beginning, somewhat accomplished, or seasoned adventurers who have happened on one of those world-altering (or at least the local city and/or kingdom) quest?

Any range is fine with me, although I do prefer lower levels when it comes to anything pre-4E since I kind of like the thought of leveling and making choices on class, feat, skills, and whatnot based on the adventure rather than simply picking things. (I'm behind on making a character for a Pathfinder game elsewhere mostly due to not being able to make up my mind on what classes I have and what items I've managed to pick up along the way.)

8-)

Healergirl

It needn't be a game that starts in a fully developed world.  One of the things that got lobbed at me during my approval process was a writing prompt:  You go to sleep on your couch and wake up in a another place.  Everybody starts that way. No fancy gear, just the equivalent of jeans and a t-shirt plus shoes and maybe your belt pouch of flint and steel and the like.  Maybe a small knife if the GM feels merciful.  People wake up, mill around, meet others and converge on a small tower in the center of the bowl shaped valley they woke up in. If it goes well and interest in the game continues then the world can be expanded as needed.

Just for the fun of it:  Everybody has memory loss.  They remember their names.  Kinda.  But not what class they were.  There could even be some minor stat shuffling as the memory-clouding spell is overcome.

Aether

Talking about an explosion of interest...

How many is too many?

Ixy

It's hard to say how many would be too many if we don't have a DM.  I'd think 5 players, max, but that's just me.  I may have started this thread, but I don't really 'claim' it.  I would also hesitate to make it 'first come/first served' or just open it up to anyone who shows interest.  If we DO have a GM, we'll need to filter the group.  For instance... if the GM feels like running a tactical-heavy game, I'd think that us angst-lusting types might be less inclined to enjoy it. 

I really mean that I hate playing with people who insist on playing some abusable, obscure fucking class that nobody knows anything about.  There will always be min/maxing or powergaming or munchkining-- whatever you call it or however you feel about it.  But I prefer the rules to be minimal to support the story rather than dictate it. 

As for setting, Muse?  I kind of like the suggestion of a minimally-developed world.  We could do a Twilight-Zone-ish setting, or we could do a single setting like Greyhawk, Eberron, FR, Dragon Age, er, what's the Steampunkish 3rd party game, Iron Kingdom?  Can't remember.

Anyway... I'd be up for it, for the most part, if we can find an interested GM.

Black Howling

Quote from: Ixy on May 30, 2011, 06:40:36 PM
It's hard to say how many would be too many if we don't have a DM.  I'd think 5 players, max, but that's just me.  I may have started this thread, but I don't really 'claim' it.  I would also hesitate to make it 'first come/first served' or just open it up to anyone who shows interest.  If we DO have a GM, we'll need to filter the group.  For instance... if the GM feels like running a tactical-heavy game, I'd think that us angst-lusting types might be less inclined to enjoy it. 

I really mean that I hate playing with people who insist on playing some abusable, obscure fucking class that nobody knows anything about.  There will always be min/maxing or powergaming or munchkining-- whatever you call it or however you feel about it.  But I prefer the rules to be minimal to support the story rather than dictate it. 

As for setting, Muse?  I kind of like the suggestion of a minimally-developed world.  We could do a Twilight-Zone-ish setting, or we could do a single setting like Greyhawk, Eberron, FR, Dragon Age, er, what's the Steampunkish 3rd party game, Iron Kingdom?  Can't remember.

Anyway... I'd be up for it, for the most part, if we can find an interested GM.
Alright, that just won me over. Wasn't sure at first, but I'll start to work on it now. It could be a while before it's ready to play on,(by that I mean a couple days)but I'll get the basics in a moment. I have a good homebrew setting that is an inside out world in the works, and it may be what you're looking for. As for the content, I now understand what you mean. If you all don't mind me running it, I'll limit it to piazo published core rules and the APG.

I'll have more details soon.

Wintercat

Black Howling is running this?

I'm definitely along then. Well, if he doesn't show me the door that is.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Crovonovin

An inside-out world?  Now that's an interesting phrase. 

I'm definitely in!

PhantomPistoleer

I'll submit a cleric when it comes time to choose players.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

WyzardWhately

I think it's possible that they meant "system" when they said "setting."  That is, the core books are the only ones allowed w/r/t making characters.

And I'm just fine with that, since I really don't like having to comb through a bunch of books just to stay competitive.  I'm generally very happy with a PHB1 Wizard or Sorcerer or something. 

For those who don't know Pathfinder: Pathfinder is kind of D&D 3.5++.  There are a few power-ups to the different classes, depending on how much they need them.  Fighters get some substantial boosts, for example.  Basically, if you like D&D 3.x, you're going to like Pathfinder.  If you think D&D 3.x had terrible flaws and problems...Pathfinder doesn't really fix any of them. 

I'm personally happy to play any edition of D&D, so Pathfinder is okay in my book.  I must express a preference for an at least mid-level game.  Starting out in the 1-3 range is something I've done a lot (I suspect most of us have) and at this point I find it's better to start out at a level where you have some weight to throw around, since it takes interminably long to climb the level brackets in a PBP game.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Aether

I really want to play a rogue and have wanted to for a while.  I keep falling back into monk roles because I simply love them, but pathfinder changes up a bit and makes them a bit oddish.