House of Ravens (was Want to run D&D)

Started by greenknight, November 08, 2013, 07:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenknight

I'm gonna go with, "No." Much of what you want thematically is available with Greyhawk's various death gods. This class has a number of things wrong with it mechanically, not the least of which is the difficulty of keeping track of all of the often overpowered components. Its emphasis on how its members are all "weirdos" is also quite insulting.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Miroque

I would love to put an application for Human or Elf conjurer (wizard spec). 40pt pointbuy..thats pretty insanely powerful characters..

What about variant class options like Immediate Magic ? (PHB2) for wizards, it would remove familiar, and give small immediate trick (as per specialty school)

and featwise, I would love reserve feats from comp arcane and comp mage, if those are ok? Otherwise, wizards just take n*toughness..

Storywise, my apprentice conjurer could be part of the heir's retinue (girlfriend, childhood friend, slave, whatever), or the heir herself, if thats open for players.

RubySlippers

Okay I'm going to be boring, a human rogue with a JOAT* build.  ^_^

She won't be fancy and is seeing a chance to make some serious coin. Anyway she owes the heir her life so she figures she can clear that marker and make a nice amount of serious coin.

Will be a LN but more the rules of her world over the regular one.

greenknight

Miroque, you're in if you want to be. 40 points, like I said, there's no intermediate step in Hero Lab between that and 32 ::) So why not? It's not like I can't kill with a word regardless of how powerful your are ;) If it's more than you want, just don't use all the points.

I looked up immediate magic. The intertubes say conjurer's is apparently the most "fun." >BAMF< I found them at the bottom of this page http://lotusr.wikispaces.com/Alternative+Class+Features. As they're incomplete there, I'm going to say no. (And now that I've had to go through them in the SRD to understand how these abilities work, I'm dropping swift and immediate actions. If 3.5 was supposed to simplify actions, I don't need new types.)

I'm going to say no on the reserve feats.

As for an heir, the only real requirement is human or half-human. The count is human so that's kind of how it works. And there's no limit as to the number of heirs, they'll just have to work out precedence among themselves.

Ruby, default rogue, er, adventurer.

All, if your chargen program of choice will output to a stat block, that's preferred. If you want to add more detail, like how your skill modifiers break down, that's fine, too.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

RubySlippers

Chargen? I'm old school its called typing put a nice basic character sheet that is easy to follow.  ^_^

Miroque

There is Myth-Weavers site, that I use for character generation and sheets, so link to that sheet should be good?

So, human Conjurer wizardess coming up, with familiar haws called AWACS coming up :)

No problem with feats being forbidden or immediate magic options.

What comes to 40points, its just a ' bit'  more that Im used to play with :)

RubySlippers

Just dump them all in Charisma.  ^_^

greenknight

That's one way to treat a dump stat ;)

Links to regular sheets are fine, too.

Miroque

:) Im actually the type of player that considers CHA being the most important stat.. as its your characters "social" skill .. unless your trained socialite/diplomat like bards...who take skillranks in the said skills.. I never have considered CHA being dumb stat.. if anything WIS is dumb stat (pun intended)

Miroque

Victoriana, Human Conjuress with her trusty hawk familiar "Slayer"

greenknight

Miroque

Hawk: named slayer... (mouse-slayer is too long name...)

AndyZ

So what do we have so far?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

greenknight

Miroque has submitted a conjurer, Ruby Slippers is ginning up a rogue. No one has put in a preference for their character's position in the house.

@ Miroque, do you want to change out any languages? There are 5 additional human languages, all of which feed into the common tongue and are rarely spoken nowadays (equivalents to classical Latin, Hellenic Greek, and Aramaic). Ancient Baklunish, Ancient Suloise, Old Oeridian (the major contributor to Common), Flan (dialects still used in more isolated areas and the primary precursor to Druidic), and Rhopan.

For those not familiar with Greyhawk, racial purity and pride in that is only a thing on the fringes of humanity. It is due to simple isolation, as in the case of the Tiger and Wolf Nomads or the Snow, Frost, and Ice Barbarians, or to a specific agenda, as with the Scarlet Brotherhood. The mainstream is pretty integrated, with Oeridians and Suel as the primary stock. A breakdown with some analogous, Earthly themes. Each ethnic groups still has their own deities, though the "Greyhawk pantheon" draws from all of the traditions and represents those with cross-cultural appeal.

Baklunish - a desert people on the western fringe of the known world. Very 9th century Arabic, in culture, linguistics, dress, and appearance. Like all peoples, polytheistic. Fairly homogenous due to geography, though they are far from rare in the central Flanaess.
Flan - the first people of the Flanaess, they are variously described as a cross between the First Nations of the US and Celts. Olive complected, dark haired, and preferring simple color palettes even when living among civilization. In tune with the natural world, their culture forms the primary roots of Druidic faith.
Oeridians - a people well skilled in war who migrated into the Flanaess after a war with the Suloise that nearly destroyed both civilizations. Think Granadan Caliphate Spain; skilled warriors, potentially hot-blooded, and a tradition of craftsmanship and mixing performance with dueling (the three circle "dance" of the two Tonys' Mask of Zorro) with fair to olive complexions and honey blond to dark hair. The tribes migrating farthest east, the Aerdi and Nyrondal favor bright colors in checks and plaids. Those in west look more to diamonds and ovals.
Suel - the Suloise Empire also migrated into the Flanaess following their destructive war with the Oeridians. Great scholars and mages are the cultural tradition, though those on the fringe, the F/S/I Barbarians are stereotypical vikings. Pale of hair and complexion, the Suel favor light, comfortable garments such as loose trousers and tunics, often in unpatterned cloth.
Rhenee - a mysterious people from another world, the Rhenee are river dwelling gypsies. Think the Romany stereotypes and prejudices as well. They are the people who don't integrate, not that "polite society" offers them opportunity.

The county is mainly a mixture of Suel and Oeridian stock with a little Flan influence.

Miroque

of course. (I generally dislike "common tongue" myself).
Ancient Baklunish is like arabic right?
and Flan is more to the gaelic ways?

So, I change few languages.. Ancient Suel and Ancient Baklunish (those were magocracies right? before the rain of colourless fire?)

greenknight

The Baklunish weren't destroyed, and yes, it's treated as Arabic. But Common is here to stay. I think you spent too much on your dagger. A silver dagger isn't a standard item anymore, so use the alchemical silver for 20gp.

Everyone, use half+1 for additional hp.

AndyZ

And, any noble house last names I should look at if I'm aiming for the daughter?  Oeridian sounds cool, and I can go for the blonde-haired blue-eyed nobility look easily enough.

Ruby, I saw the bit about owing them your life.  How do you like the idea of that my char gave yours another chance after she got caught for something or other, maybe via a suicide mission of sorts?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

greenknight

For the name, make it up. It's your character and that's why I left that part open. If you want to try your hand at the coat of arms, feel free. The House of Ravens is the western family that the count has merged with yours.

Miroque

I Left familyname empty, as I was thinking for aiming heiress aswell

AndyZ

You have the char down first, Miroque.  You can have it ^_^

greenknight

Miroque, have you decided on spells in your book?

Miroque

not yet, but wokring on it (IRL friedn came to visit)

AndyZ, K :)

AndyZ

Having trouble coming up with stuff anyway.  I'm too rusty on D&D and my novel is taking up so much brainspan.

Miroque

spellbook filled. Even bought additional spell scroll for additional spell :)

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest, thinking along a man of arms/champion/general type person. But quite bit unfamiliar with Greyhawk so open any good background suggestions. Human or half-elf.

But generally speaking I could be straight up fighter but I like mix things so I ask are ACF's for figther allowed? Mostly I think Zhentarim Soldier ACF's (give skill focus: Intimidate in 3th level, gives diplomacy as class skill, allows keep lingering fear on folks who you make 'friendly' with intimidate in 5th level and swift action to demoralize in 9th level).

Another is that is Marshal allowed base class? Or Knight? I thought to get animal companion via feat to my knight (mounted combat and all shizzle). A paladin also has crossed my mind for knightly figure but I am not aware enough of deity or religion of Greyhawk to make decision about it (how well paladins are thought of and is there deity which matches exactly on classic knightly ideals in setting?).