[Interest Check] Evangelion: The Fall of Light

Started by Ghostwheel, December 22, 2013, 12:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwheel

Note: This is not a recruitment thread; just want to see how much people like the idea, and if there are enough who would want to play.

On September 13, on the year 2000, a massive meteor crashed into the Earth in the vicinity of Antarctica. Instantly the polar icecaps were melted, seas boiled, land churned and the heavens blackened with fire and ash. Over a thousand species went extinct within a month, careful habitats and ecosystems that were preserved and balanced upon the most sensitive of pendulums destroyed utterly in the aftermath. Thousands more disappeared in the coming years, and it looked as though the impact would end the human race. It was the most destructive natural disaster for the human race's collective memory, the second meteor fall so destructive that it changed the face of the world since the first one which led to the fall of the dinosaurs, and thus the event was known as the "Second Impact".

It is now the year 2017, and less than two decades have passed since the Second Impact. It is a testament to human ingenuity and willpower that slowly the land is being rebuilt. Despite 90% of the human population being wiped out, people are slowly building their lives back and attempting to fix the damage done to the world. But a new danger threatens to destroy the world, strange and alien beings called "Angels" who destroy whole cities within minutes, walking towards some unknown location somewhere on the West Coast. In response, the United Nations have created a special task force, and whenever one of these Angels attacked there was always a giant robot there to stop them. These giant robots are called Evangelions.

Unknown to the majority of the population, a human sits within the massive construction guiding its inexorable might to stop the Angels in their path. Ranging from 16 to 18, these young boys and girls were born up to a year from the instant that the Second Impact occurred and have the strange ability to synchronize with the Evangelions. Working for NERV, the pilots are under tremendous stress to excel in their missions, with the fate of humanity on their shoulders. Should they fail, it would mean the unimaginable--a Third Impact.

The game itself takes place around a high school on the West Coast in the LA area not too far from Malibu. Players play either Evangelion pilots who fight to keep the Angels at bay, NERV personnel who support the pilots, or school staff, unaware of what happens right beneath their noses (or one of the NERV staff who also functions as part of the school staff, overseeing the students). The game itself will either be freeform or extremely light on the rules (chime in for what you prefer). This is primarily a story of the pilots' descent into darkness as their hopes and dreams are weighed down by the stress they are placed under, as well as their own psychoses and mental derangements that accrue from piloting the Evangelions, a process that causes you to feel the pain your robotic companion suit would in combat.

Wintercat

Haven't seen many ideas based on Evangelion surface here. I am guessing none of the 'original cast' of Evangelion are included then? Just a thought I figured best to ask.

This could be interesting, I think there's options of playing this full free-form and yet a small, simple system could be put together by the players easily enough I figure if something small was wanted to add a little randomness to combat or other situations.

I believe this would be interesting enough to try. I imagine it might even be interesting to play both a pilot, and a NERV staff member, giving a chance to view things from two different angles.

Regardless, going to wait and see if there's other attention to the thread and if it looks like a game might happen, you can count me as someone already interested.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Ghostwheel

Correct, there would not be any of the original cast. The same backstory applies, but pretend everything happened in Southern California rather than Japan, and thus a whole new cast is in place.

I've got a super-simple system ready, but I want to hear what other people say (if any are interested), and whether they would prefer a system (if any) or to keep it entirely freeform.

Yukina

GypsyBook

Color me interested.
There is an Evangelion rules system out there if we want to use that.
Or we can free-form. Either is fine by me.

JohnTheGreat

Definitly interested and may I humbly suggest the AdEva 2.0 (2.5?) rules to go with it.
They can certainly be complex in places and I would be up for trying it freeform but I still feel it worth mentioning as AdEva seems to be the 'official' unofficial Evangelion RPG. It uses the Dark Heresy rules as a base and builds on there, adding classes for eva's (bezerker, pointman, etc), and.. I suppose races for the pilots (random kid off the street, military trained, clone). The rules for calculating Nerv's budget based on the collateral damage from the last fight can be a pain in the ass but DH does hold-on-to-your-ass-we're-all-gonna-die combat very, very well.

Ghostwheel

The biggest problem in my mind with Adeptus Evangelion (and Borderline) is that it's a bit too rules-heavy, something that I find bogs down pbp, which is why I suggested a more rules-lite system. Plus I'd need to relearn the Dark Heresy system, which I remember being kind of complex, even for an RPG.

What do you guys think?

Yukina

Slightly off-topic thought: If we used adeptus evangelion, it would honestly be a better idea to meet for weekly group game on a different site or chat program than E.

Wintercat

Having read some of the AdEva rules and played Dark Heresy, I think a lighter system would indeed work better for a forum game. Same for the freeform option.

Nonetheless there does appear to be a fair group of interested people at least.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

JohnTheGreat

I didn't actually consider how it being forum play would effect it, now that that has been pointed out AdEva would probably slow things down far too much.

Rules light sounds good.

JohnTheGreat

So any news on whether this is going ahead or not?

Ghostwheel

Probably not since we only have 4 applicants, and I was envisioning something bigger and more self-sustaining with less heavy-handed DM plot advancement, and with the rate of dropouts that isn't exactly enough to keep up a game. If we get more people I'd be willing to set it up, but if there's no more interest I'm willing to let it fall by the wayside.