Freeform Science fiction Game 'We are legends' Recruiting Closed

Started by Elven Sex Goddess, February 21, 2011, 09:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elven Sex Goddess

For a decade, the shuttle program had been shut down.   NASA operating at bare minimum staffing, more of a caretaker service then a vibrant space operation that it once represented for the United States.         Through space exploration had not died.     Private enterprises that offered rides into space for those who could afford such rides grew in the decade. 

A significant development of fuel source and physics engineering in 2018 had significant break through.  A new source of power,  as cold fusion finally  is conquered.   A source of power that could take a space ship to Mars and back if not farther.    An stepping to the forefront leading the way is the Virgin corporation.  Contracted out to the United States,  French,  Russian and Chinese governments.

The next generation of spaceship is developed.    A three-man team of astronauts is decided upon for the mission.    Due to the length of the mission, it was decided early on that those chosen would fall under the age mandate of 24 to no older then 28 years.  Also decided, those selected would also be chosen on marriage status; only single candidates are chosen.   It was also decided that it would be a all male crew.      The reasons for these mandates in the mission, is first the trip will take one year there and one year back with a three month stay on Mars for specimen gathering.      This makes the mission length with the six-month training period leading up to the mission, a near three-year endeavor. 

Finally after weeks of mission launch date being put off, due to the recent high activity of solar flares and subsequent threat that they posed not only for the space craft and the earth itself.   A window of opportunity is at hand and the craft is able to go for the launch. 

The craft is not the capsule or shuttle size space crafts of the past.   The craft is as large as a jumbo jet if not larger.   Each of the crew has their own room for personal space.     A physical training room,  mess hall room with storage of a six year supply of food.    A renewable water system for the ships water system.   As well the oxygen supply is also renewable filtration system.     A cargo bay with a all terrain vehicle for Mar’s exploration.     Add the bridge and the engine room to complete the layout of the ship.

Everything goes smooth with the launch sequence.   Without a hitch the trio find themselves hurtling through earth's atmosphere then through the outer atmosphere then into space.       But then the trio would hear a thumping sound coming from within the ship.    Leaving the bridge of the ship to investigate the noise.   They find the thumping to be coming from the physical training room aboard ship.     Apparently some of the equipment had worked free with the takeoff.    However, nothing is amiss when enter the room.  Nothing out or loose that could cause the thumping.  But then it happens again and it comes from one of the foot lockers in the room.    Something inside the footlocker is banging from the inside.   

Opening the locker up to see what is the cause.  The three are caught in surprise as a young woman in her twenties pops out of the foot locker.   She seems in a daze and is stark naked.       As it quickly comes apparent she is shrugging off the effects of a drug.   For she has a complete bewilderment upon her expression back at the three.

Three openings, all male characters.   Between the age of twenty four and twenty eight.    Each of course are pilots, in addition one may be skilled in engineering.  Another could be also a medical officer while the third special forces type individual.   The three of you have gone through training the past six months for this mission.   Where the three of you come from, country of origin.   What military service does your character hail from and along with professional training?

Plotline;  Right off the bat the three are faced with a dilemma.   The woman stowaway aboard the spacecraft.    Do they advise mission control of the situation or keep it from them.    There is a high probability that the mission could be aborted and their ordered back. 

Next is this mysterious young woman.  Who is she?  How did she come to be aboard the space craft and stuffed in a locker.  And how come she is nude?   Is she some kind of eco-terrorist? 

Then add the dynamic of one woman and three men.   A mission that is near three years.   What degree does civilize manners breakdown if at all on the journey.

What really awaits on mars.   After all they are going to be the first of mankind to set foot on mars.     However, space is not empty and catastrophic events can happen on the way there causing harrowing adventure.

Finally a twist is store for the plot to be revealed in the game.

Tomalak

Okay, I'll bite.  How will you be choosing your players?  First come, first served?  Or via application process?

I'd prefer to play the engineer or doctor, but if other players have their hearts set on them, that okay with me.  I'm curious what use a soldier is on a spaceplane, though.

Also, is the title in reference to something?
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

Elven Sex Goddess

A vetting process, instead of first come, first serve. 

Your correct a special force trained third has no obvious or place on the ship during the journey.     However, his skills in survival even with traveling to a total alien world are a safeguard for that part of the mission, while the team is on Mars.

It has a few possible meanings the title.  But the first obvious one.   The three will be the first of mankind to set foot on Mars.   

Elf

I really shouldn't but I will submit my application for the mission as the special forces/survival expert.

What would you like for your selection process?

Tomalak

Indeed, knowing your criteria would help in preparing an application.  What are you looking for in a character, in a player, and in the application process itself?  Also, Are there any general plot directions that you can disclose, that may help a player determine whether or not this is going to be a story of interest to them?
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

Elven Sex Goddess

Character Sheet

Name:

Arm forces branch of service:
Professional Skills (all are assumed pilots):

Personality traits

Virtue:

Vice:

Description (Image/ and any significant markings not shown in image.):

Brief Bio:

What I am looking for in partners in the story.

Commitment of at least three posts a week.

I am running the game, however, I believe a good role play needs active input from all involved.  To help create a dynamic story that is enjoyable by all.

Finally, where would you like to see the story go,  what goals do you hope to achieve in the parameters set with the story introduction. 

Elf

Name: Nathan Black
Nationality: USA

Arm forces branch of service: US Navy SEAL
Professional Skills (all are assumed pilots): Pilot just barely covers it, if it moves he can expertly operate it, water, air, land, and now thanks to his six months of training space. His is also an expert with small arms, if he can carry it he can shoot it. He is also an expert in several forms of martial arts both with weapons and without. He has been trained and has survived in many different harsh environments with a specialty in both desert and arctic.

Personality traits: He is a bit of a rebel, if orders are not extremely explicit he will find away to skirt around them without directly disobeying. As an example he was once told his hair was too long and ordered to leave and not come back until it was cut to proper military standards, he stayed away for three weeks, but returned with the perfect hair cut. No disciplinary actions were taken due to the wording of the order. He is also a thrill seeker and is always looking for that next adrenaline high.

Virtue: Honesty, loyalty to team mates and friends, and compassion for others.

Vice: Well adrenaline and sex

Description (Image/ and any significant markings not shown in image.): 6'1" 187 lbs black hair, hazel eyes with green brown and gold.

Tattooed on his right shoulder

Brief Bio: At age 18 his parents convinced him to join the military in hopes it would curb his rebel behavior and his thrill seeking. He chose the Navy and when he was offered the opportunity to test for the SEALs he jumped on it and passed at the top of those testing with him. When news of the mission to Mars came up he reluctantly volunteered when his CO gave him the choice of that or a three year tour in Antarctica.

I can promise that if there is something for me to reply to at least three posts a week. I usually get responses up within a day.

What I would like to see in the story for now is just that woman becomes a valued member of the team. The team is missing a true scientist to properly record the data from Mars. Even though she was abducted and placed on the ship against her will, I think she should be a scientist or a student studying to be a scientist. That and the obvious, that she becomes willing to satisfy certain needs.

Elven Sex Goddess

Character looks good Elf,  welcome aboard.   

Elf

Thank you, Goddess. Now you just need two more.

Trying to fix the problem with my missing pics. Okay fixed.

Tomalak

I've had a busy week, but it's almost over.  I am quite interested in this, but I don't have time to finish my submission via the proper format at the moment.  Here's a brief description of the character concepts that came to mind as I read the thread; I'll finish the application properly as soon as I have time.
Logan - Doctor
Logan has spent his entire life trying to break the "spoiled rich kid" stereotype.  He's worked hard for everything he has, but he's done so by choice.  The heir to a major megacorporation, he's attended the best schools and had advantage a child could possibly get in growing up.  As a result, he pushed himself harder than anyone else, determined to prove that nothing was handed to him that he didn't deserve.  He graduated medical school early, and has spent the last two years working in a think-tank trying to beat cancer.  When his father died all the money, houses, and businesses fell to him.  The media had a field day when he sold all his father's shares in all companies, getting out of business entirely - and donated his fortune to charity.
Already a brilliant doctor and respected scientist, Logan finally felt that he had earned everything he owned, and it felt good.  Soon however, he began to wonder about the future.  He'd achieved his life's goals by twenty-four - what was left?  Then he heard about the Virgin Space Program.
David - Engineer
David is from Detroit, where he grew up in a large but disadvantaged family. 
He is dedicated to proving his single-mother proud, and is the first of his siblings to go to college. 
He has degrees in Mathematics, Chemistry, and Engineering from MIT. 
His talents include cooking, empathy, and good humour.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Tomalak on February 27, 2011, 01:32:09 PM
I've had a busy week, but it's almost over.  I am quite interested in this, but I don't have time to finish my submission via the proper format at the moment.  Here's a brief description of the character concepts that came to mind as I read the thread; I'll finish the application properly as soon as I have time.
Logan - Doctor
Logan has spent his entire life trying to break the "spoiled rich kid" stereotype.  He's worked hard for everything he has, but he's done so by choice.  The heir to a major megacorporation, he's attended the best schools and had advantage a child could possibly get in growing up.  As a result, he pushed himself harder than anyone else, determined to prove that nothing was handed to him that he didn't deserve.  He graduated medical school early, and has spent the last two years working in a think-tank trying to beat cancer.  When his father died all the money, houses, and businesses fell to him.  The media had a field day when he sold all his father's shares in all companies, getting out of business entirely - and donated his fortune to charity.
Already a brilliant doctor and respected scientist, Logan finally felt that he had earned everything he owned, and it felt good.  Soon however, he began to wonder about the future.  He'd achieved his life's goals by twenty-four - what was left?  Then he heard about the Virgin Space Program.
David - Engineer
David is from Detroit, where he grew up in a large but disadvantaged family. 
He is dedicated to proving his single-mother proud, and is the first of his siblings to go to college. 
He has degrees in Mathematics, Chemistry, and Engineering from MIT. 
His talents include cooking, empathy, and good humour.

Both briefs look good.     Choose the one you really want to go with and flesh it out.     

Tomalak

Is this still being planned?  I haven't a preference between my two concepts, so I was waiting to see if someone would post for one of the positions.

When is your deadline for application, ESG?

Elven Sex Goddess

No real deadline,  waiting for a third person to finish off the roster for the game.       So you can go with either one then depending what the next person chooses then.  Or just go ahead and choose one and I'll try to recruit for the last opening.   

Two weeks more in attempting to recruit from today.    So by Saturday 03/19

Tomalak

I'll give it until the 12th for someone to choose one of the open slots, and I'll take the last.  If by then no one has, I'll pick one and you can advertise for the last.  Sound good?

CrazyIvan

Name: Jacob "Mom" Singer
Nationality: USA

Arm forces branch of service: ARMY
Professional Skills (all are assumed pilots): Jacob is a pilot in a very loose sense of the word, sure he can fly, but that is like saying sure a high school student with a permit can drive. He knows how to drive on land just fine and with the training from the six months he now can, must likely, pilot the space craft if he needs to. He is trained only in small arms as he was a combat medic, and never had to wield anything larger then one. He is trained in hand to hand combat and his skills with the knife go beyond just helping people. He can cook and is very skilled and practiced doctor, for his age.

Personality traits: Jacob is a very caring individual, and at first it is hard to see why he would even want to be in military at all. He is good at connecting with others and loves to help others as much as he can, whenever he can. He got his nickname, mom, because of this and how he would worry and try and help out everyone in the squad whenever he could. He can be slightly reckless in his how he helps people, and he tends to be a logical person needing reasons to do things. Without reasons to do something he will not do it as it just doesn't seem right to him, he also tends to over think things. Though he cares a lot and tries to help it also leads to a lot of stress and personal problems that build up as he keeps them inside and doesn't talk to anyone about it. When it builds up to much he tends to get angry and lash out at people, never physically at people only at objects.

Virtue: Jacob is a very tempered man, to the point some think he can be a bit apathetic at times. He is always trying to understand and help people and is a very empathetic person, trying to know how others feel and hurt. With that is kindness towards everyone and that he never really truly hates anyone, so far as he mentions.

Vice: Rage, Jacob though he is tempered, if something stirs him enough or stress build up he becomes a very emotional and angry individual. Lust is another of his vices, which he mainly keeps under control sometimes it slips out, but it has never consumed him. Jealousy and worry if he is truly accepted in social situations and circumstances is something Jacob has always had to deal with.

Description (Image/ and any significant markings not shown in image.): He is 5'10", brown eyes, and weighs 178lbs

Brief Bio: Jacob grew up in Chicago, basically in the slums. It was a rough childhood full of pain and sorrow one where he had to learn to grow up fast or not survive. He was a very smart kid, but that didn't help against the beatings and blows he took from his father or from the other kids his age. He had no mother to speak of either as she had died giving birth to him and his father always hated him for it. As soon as he could he left his home and joined the army, partly to get away and partly to get a free education. He knew that education was the only way he was ever truly going to leave that world behind and the only choice he had was to join the army. The army knew he was smart and could see that he wanted to help people and so he went to school training to be a doctor. I took a lot of longer hard years but finally he graduated and holds a medical degree and he also made friends, though he is still closed off about his past and doesn't talk about much if at all. Due to Jacobs calm nature and his intelligence Jacob was recommended as one of the crew for the space ship which he gladly accepted, anything to get him one step further way from home at least for a bit is what he thought.

I Commit to at least three posts a week and if for some reasons I can not, such as travel or other things that come up, I will inform you ahead of time or as soon as possible.

I agree with Elf in that I think she should be a scientist or at least a student. In terms of what comes next to me it really depends on where it goes naturally and how it develops. The opening could leave room for mystery, sci fi, murder, conflict, and romance. Such as one crew members tries to protect her and the others try to harm her, or something is on board that is dangerous. To me there are a lot of possible happens and twists and turns the story could take.

Treehouseroleplayer

Alright, I'll take a whack at this as well.

Name: Eric Lawson
Nationality: United States

Arm forces branch of service: US Airforce
Professional Skills (all are assumed pilots): He has some basic familiarity with small arms. He is a mechanical, electrical, and computer wiz, able to fix and jury rig things into working.

Personality traits: Loves his machines and treats the ship like it's his baby. He is proud of his work, but believes that he can't be rushed. He is also known to 'tweak' things into running just a little bit better, faster, or more efficient. Most of the time it doesn't even backfire on him. He has a healthy curiosity that sometimes gets him into trouble. Although not painfully shy, he is more of a follower then a leader, finding it easier to deal with and understand machines than other people. He is also not very assertive.

Virtue: He's clever and able to fix almost anything with the adequate parts, he's naturally curious about his surroundings, and has a strong sense of integrity and honor.

Vice: He's not very assertive and sometimes puts up with abuse or lets problems go unhandled because he's afraid to speak up.

Description (Image/ and any significant markings not shown in image.): 5'8" 150 pounds.

Brief Bio: Eric came from an average middle class family with a history of military service and was expected to join the military when he was old enough to do so. Eric however didn't feel like he could handle killing another person so he went to school to become an engineer. He was noticed right away for his skill and intelligence and only spent a year or two in the air force before being asked if he would like to participate in the Virgin flight. His curiosity and sense of adventure couldn't resist the idea of a groundbreaking mission to Mars so he accepted and signed up immediately.

I can commit to three posts a week.

I agree with what's been stated about there needing to be a scientist, either the girl should be one, or another character added. I'd kind of like to see some kind of threat to survival show up about halfway to mars to give the plot some suspense and focus during the journey.

edit: Oops, didn't see Crazy Ivan post a character, but I'll keep mine up for your consideration. More choices for you is always better!
If you wish to get a hold of me and I'm not on E., message me on IRC.

Elven Sex Goddess

Thank you for the interest and submission of a character for the game,  Crazy Ivan and Treehouseroleplayer.

Tomalok decide which one you want to go with.   

I am currently getting ready for work this morning,  responding to my other threads.   Will have answer later this evening when get home from work.  On the start of the thread and what decided in who to go with.   Since now have four applications of characters.   

Tomalak

It is now a relatively easy choice for me.  THR's engineer looks good  to me, I'll take my medic to compliment him.  I'll try to get the proper format together and a fleshed out submission in shortly.

Elf

Exlellent, I'm looking forward to this starting and seeing where we can take.

I guess we've managed to have something for Nathan to do on the journey, seeing as he is the only with more than just basic piloting skills. It will his job to keep them on course and deal with any problems dealing with the flight plan.

Elven Sex Goddess

I have closed recruiting.   

OOC - 'We are legends'  has been created.

Please post your characters to the thread with first initial post,  thanks.

I decided to go with the four for the crew.   I will either put up the game thread later tonight or most likely in the morning as I am off tomorrow.