Marvel/DC "Day 1" Universe (Interest Check)

Started by Gilgameshian, October 03, 2017, 12:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgameshian

Hey there, so I've been a part of a few group games and quite enjoyed my time. See, the thing is though that I've always had a few ideas running around in this head of mine for a small group RP that was only further inspired by a tentative thread I have in the works with a partner of mine. The basic premise would be this: It's Day 1. It's quite literally that simple and, of course, that complicated. Every hero has just awoken to their power. Mutants are young teenagers who just got their powers. Metahumans just received their power in a freak accident or some such. However a hero got their power it's all happening right now in the present. And everyone, villains included, are getting them at the same time.

There will be a select few exceptions, and some on an as needed basis, in order to make some things work. Cap still got put on ice. Tony's still a really smart guy with armor. Black Widow is a super spy. Black Canary is a badass fighter who suddenly developed a sonic scream. Green Arrow...I think you get the point. If they don't have powers they're probably not "Day 1".

At this point I don't have a concrete idea to throw down but I have some plot ideas if there is interest. I'd put all of this in better terms but, at this point, I'm either fighting a cold or fighting the tail end of a cold I didn't know I had. Either way brain not work so good.

I'll try to put some more proper thought into this but I am curious to see if people even have a passing interest in this kind of world.
March 2020: Working Retail + Virus Panic = Brain not work so good. Expect slow intermittent replies as sanity slowly drains and is returned.

Yarnover

I think I understand what you're getting at and I'm definitely interested. Are you fusing the DC and Marvel universes and we're creating our own thing from scratch using canon characters from either one? How do you feel about OCs?
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

Gilgameshian

Yes, now that I'm more coherent than when I made the OP, yes that's the idea.

The idea is that Marvel and DC inhabit the same universe here. Most things are the same with regards to the world. Stark Industries and Wayne Enterprises are competitors. The Baxter Building still exists. The main difference is that, unless a hero had no powers, they aren't active yet.

So when the RP starts it would be just a little after Clark Kent wakes up one day in Smallville with the powers of Superman for the first time. Diana is stepping into "Man's World" for the first time. Barry Allen and Wally West have both become speedsters this day. Jean Gray woke up with voices in her head as did any other telepath. Wolverine now has a healing factor and bone claws. Ghost Rider just made his deal with the devil...you get the point by now.

Everyone is on a level playing field now in experience. The non-powered heroes have some level of camaraderie but there is no real Justice League/Avengers equivalent.

The core idea of this RP is that all of these characters are going to come together and form the first real superhero team. They're probably all going to be young, have no idea what they're doing, but they mean the best. All the villains are in the same boat, really, with none of them having experience with their superpowers so the field is rather level.

Does this make for a bunch of weird little continuity errors somewhere? Probably but I've never let that stop me before.

So that's the general gist of it. I was thinking that I'd want maybe four players to start just to keep things small and feel it out then maybe expand as time goes on.

The only characters I would have off the table for certain are those non-powered heroes and villains who would have years of experience. Most of them are going to be NPC mentors or the like for this burgeoning hero group.

If that makes sense?
March 2020: Working Retail + Virus Panic = Brain not work so good. Expect slow intermittent replies as sanity slowly drains and is returned.

Yarnover

So we're going to assume real world locations and the DC made up ones are existing simultaneously, correct?
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

Gilgameshian

Yes, the idea would be that all of the cities exist at the same time.

One thing I don't think I got across in the last post either was the part about non-powered heroes. So people like Batman and Green Arrow are pretty much off the table since they would be the mentors so to speak. People like Nightwing or Robin, the younger proteges, would be entirely fair game for joining this team perhaps as the leader since they would have some measure of experience.

If anyone has any questions please do ask, I've certainly not thought of everything.