The Election Thread

Started by Stattick, September 26, 2012, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stattick

I don't know about everyone else, but it's kinda hard trying to follow a bunch of different threads all relating to the upcoming US election, so I thought that if others are willing to get on board, that maybe we could have one thread to cover the election. This can be a thread where we can talk not only about the presidential election, but also about congressional elections, national politics, and even local elections. I'm not saying that we should ignore the other threads, or have a moratorium on starting new threads, but rather that this could be a good place to be a catchall for all things relating to the upcoming election. That way, if you want to vent about your local politics, you don't have to start up a brand new thread, or if you want to discuss a general trend you've noticed, you don't have to try to figure out which of the current threads it would best be discussed in.

Anyhow, to start off, I thought I'd post a youtube video making the rounds from Wisconsin. Tommy Thompson is running for US Senate in Wisconsin... and says, "Who Better Than Me... To Do Away With Medicaid and Medicare?"

Once upon a time, I'm told that he was a sane moderate Republican. But it appears that today, that you just can't get the endorsement of the Republican party, or their funding, unless you're a radical. I don't know whether Thompson's just saying what he thinks he needs to say to get the GOP's endorsement, or whether he's drank of the Tea Party's kool-aid too deeply. I can't tell whether he's gone crazy, or he's just lying. But either way, I can't get behind someone who would say something like that, even if he doesn't mean it, and I hope that he not only looses, but that this kills his political career.

Tommy Thompson: 'Who Better Than Me... To Do Away With Medicaid and Medicare?'
O/O   A/A

Stattick

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/fox-and-friends-flubs-data-obama.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Fox News is once again caught lying to their viewership. They falsely claimed that government spending skyrocketed under Obama compared to how it fared under Bush the Lessor. They did this by using misleading statistics to portray a dialogue that suggests that under Bush in 2008 that spending was at 3.2% and in 2009 that it was 10.1%, and that under Obama in 2010-2013, that it rose to 23.8%. But they derived that last figure by a different calculation. If they'd used the same calculation for the last figure, it would have shown that under Obama, that it would have only been 7.9%.

Fox News doesn't disappoint. Cooked numbers, lies, and GOP propaganda. Now they just need to change their motto from Fair and Balanced to Fairly Unbalanced.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Now that the deadline to pull out has passed, the GOP says it's alright to support Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin again. So much for their pledge last month not to spend any money on Akin this fall.

Quote"There is no question that for Missourians who believe we need to stop the reckless Washington spending, rein-in the role of government in people’s lives, and finally focus on growing jobs in this country, that Todd Akin is a far more preferable candidate than liberal Sen. Claire McCaskill," NRSC executive director Rob Jesmer said. "As with every Republican Senate candidate, we hope Todd Akin wins in November, and we will continue to monitor this race closely in the days ahead."
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Republicans in Mecklenburg County Virginia call people who complained about the racist images the County GOP had posted on their facebook page, inhuman and unamerican. They've had complaints, including a GOP group that's trying to get out the vote among the black community. The complaints are that the depictions of Obama as a Witch Doctor, Caveman, and so forth can be taken as a statement that black people are subhuman.

Quote“If that group is that sensitive, I’m sorry, they’re just not human,” he said, chuckling. “It’s not American. If they’ve got a problem with it, we’re not going to change what we do.”
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Karl Rove's Super PAC accepts a million dollar donation from rape apologist, Clayton Williams Jr. Back when Williams was the Texas Republican gubernatorial nominee in 1990, he had this to say:

QuoteAt a cattle roundup on his Texas ranch, the oil and gas tycoon told ranch hands, campaign workers, and reporters that bad weather was like rape. “If it’s inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.”
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Obama's new commercial:

My Job - Obama for America TV Ad

So, does it count as an attack ad if it's casting the opponent in a negative light, using only the opponent's own, in-context, words?
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Someone posted this elsewhere, and I just had to share it.  XD

"Don't look at my Medicare policies, Mitt," he said, covering the hand out that went with his Powerpoint presentation and turning away. "They're ugly."

The older man embraced him from behind, placing a tender kiss on the nape of his neck, reaching around to touch the printed charts and graphs his running mate tried to hide. "No... they're beautiful," he said, turning Paul with a tender caress on his cheek until their lips met.

O/O   A/A

Stattick

Ann Romney is worried about Mitt Romney's mental health if he becomes president. The direct quote:

QuoteIn an interview Thursday with television station KTVN, Mrs. Romney was asked what her biggest worry was should Mitt Romney be elected to serve in the White House.

"I think my biggest concern obviously would just be for his mental well-being," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/28/mitt-romney-mental-well-being_n_1924622.html

I don't know about you, but that sort of terrifies me. She probably didn't mean it like it sounds, but still. Obama though, he's as unflappable as ever. It's been one of the trademarks of his time as our president.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/netanyahu-praises-obama-and-screws-gops

Netanyahu throws mud in the eye of Romney's campaign by praising Obama. Romney's campaign has been trying to claim for months that Obama had created a huge diplomatic crisis by refusing to stand with Israel, and that Netanyahu and Obama hated each other. He's not the only foreign leader to recently get in the arena of American politics either. Wayne Swan, the Australian Treasurer, had choice words about the Republicans, specifically calling them, "Cranks and crazies."
O/O   A/A

Stattick

On the Todd Akin front, he's endorsed paying women less than men, and has come out against the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Meanwhile, his opponent, Claire McCaskill, said that he, "Makes Michele Bachmann look like a hippie." In the same debate, she also pointed out that he voted against the sex offender registry, and the Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Akin counter attacked by calling McCaskill, "very aggressive" and "unladylike". I guess he prefers women that don't fight back, that just lay back and take it. Akin did later have one of his cronies defend him by saying that the attacks Akin has had by his own parties are just like siege the Waco.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

The Republicans have gotten so desperate in this campaign season as to actually resort to, Yo Mama jokes. They're calling Barack Obama's mother a whore.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Mitt Romney has sent out mass mailers to Virginia. Not that big of a deal... except that he's claiming that the medical industry has a vast conspiracy to let people languish with Lyme disease. Seriously. This is the guy that wants to eliminate Obama Care (well, at least I think that's his current position, although to be fair to the man, he's changed his position on Obama Care more often than I can count, and I think he once changed his position on it six times in one day). This is the guy that thinks medical care isn't needed for the masses because we have the Emergency Room. Yet he's claiming a medical conspiracy, one that has no basis in fact or science. Craaazy.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

And once again, the GOP has shown that the vast majority of organized voter fraud is the fraud that they're committing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/us/politics/suspicious-voter-forms-found-in-10-florida-counties.html?_r=1
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Ryan: Explaining tax plan math too time-consuming

QuoteRyan told "Fox News Sunday" that "it would take me too long to go through all the math."

I'm afraid that it would take me too long to go through all the reasons why I won't vote for Romney-Ryan this November. But it's sufficient to say that one of the reasons is because they refuse to explain the math of their tax plan, explain the details of how they're going to fix the economy, or explain anything else in any detail whatsoever.

That paternal thing, when dad pats you on the head and says, "It's complicated, and you're too little to understand it, so just trust me on this please," doesn't fly with politicians. They gotta back their rap. If they don't, you don't know what they're asking you to back. It's a risk you can't afford.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

We have a Republican Party that's doing everything they possibly can think of to try to make abortion illegal. They also want to cut all aid, public assistance, health care, school funding, and other necessary expenses (police, firefighters, roads, etc) for a well functioning society.

But hey. The Republican Party isn't just about creating problems. They also have some solutions too. So, let's say that you have a kid, but the kid is a pain and won't mind you the way you want. Well, at least this Republican official has a solution for that: kill your kid. See, abortion is illegal. But since it's ok to kill your kids according to some obscure Biblical scripture, he wants to bring that option to the table here in the US. So, it's bad to kill your fetus. You have to wait until it's born. Ok?

Here's a pick of the douche-weasel:
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on October 09, 2012, 01:12:16 AM
We have a Republican Party that's doing everything they possibly can think of to try to make abortion illegal. They also want to cut all aid, public assistance, health care, school funding, and other necessary expenses (police, firefighters, roads, etc) for a well functioning society.

But hey. The Republican Party isn't just about creating problems. They also have some solutions too. So, let's say that you have a kid, but the kid is a pain and won't mind you the way you want. Well, at least this Republican official has a solution for that: kill your kid. See, abortion is illegal. But since it's ok to kill your kids according to some obscure Biblical scripture, he wants to bring that option to the table here in the US. So, it's bad to kill your fetus. You have to wait until it's born. Ok?

Here's a pick of the douche-weasel:

His logic, as I understand it, is no parent would actually go thru with it and it would be a good way to make sure the kids is scared straight. Problem is, he hasn't met some of the families I have. I knew one airmen whose father used an iron, still plugged in, on him for spilling breakfast

Stattick

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 09, 2012, 01:23:08 AM
His logic, as I understand it, is no parent would actually go thru with it and it would be a good way to make sure the kids is scared straight. Problem is, he hasn't met some of the families I have. I knew one airmen whose father used an iron, still plugged in, on him for spilling breakfast

His logic, as I understand it, is wharrgarbl.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on October 09, 2012, 01:33:10 AM
His logic, as I understand it, is wharrgarbl.

I do not disagree but I felt it fair to point out his intent. I wonder what it is like in his world. Cause it sure ain't the one I live in.

Of course I realized that my major sin as a RINO is that I can't suspend disbelief when someone of my party says stuff like this.

Callie Del Noire

Stattick

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 09, 2012, 01:43:23 AM
Please don't use the Onion as a source. It incites discontent and hate.

I couldn't resist the joke. The thing is, that really does seem to be Romney's new strategy for winning the election. Of course, he just didn't admit it.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on October 09, 2012, 01:47:28 AM
I couldn't resist the joke. The thing is, that really does seem to be Romney's new strategy for winning the election. Of course, he just didn't admit it.

While I see the humor of it, others don't. Despite the fact that the Onion is only mere honest about their 'news' being BS than some 'real' news channels

Stattick

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 09, 2012, 01:53:38 AM
While I see the humor of it, others don't. Despite the fact that the Onion is only mere honest about their 'news' being BS than some 'real' news channels

I suppose you're right. I removed the post.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Lawrence Wilkerson was an aide to Colin Powell, while Powell was the secretary of state under Bush Jr. He had the following to say about Romney's foreign policy:

QuoteLawrence Wilkerson, the former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell, skewered Mitt Romney’s foreign policy team on Monday, saying their policies make his stomach turn.   

Wilkerson took particular aim at John Bolton, former President George W. Bush’s ambassador to the United Nations—and now an adviser to Romney.

“The man scares me to death,” Wilkerson, a retired U.S. Army colonel told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz. “He would defeat all the enemies in America and the world—and believe me they’re plentiful—and he’d do it with everyone else’s blood. John is like Dick Cheney, never served a day in his life and wouldn't serve a day in his life … These people make me sick.”

http://leanforward.msnbc.com/_news/2012/10/08/14302340-ex-powell-aide-on-romneys-foreign-policy-team-these-people-make-me-sick
O/O   A/A

elone

In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Serephino

Okay, I disagree with President Obama on late term abortions.  I'm still not voting for Romney.  Abortions have absolutely nothing to do with fixing the economy, so this is just another attempt to pull at people's heart strings.  That woman is alive because it was meant to be.  Who passes what law isn't going to change that.  If it is meant to be, it will be.  How is it that I, a 'godless heathen' get this concept, but fundie Christians, who, although they believe God is all powerful and can make anything happen, think God needs Mitt Romney and the Republican party to help him by passing laws that take away free will?