Haunted computer clock?

Started by Xenphir, July 20, 2014, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

Not really, but I need some help on these strange occurrences. For some reason, my clock keeps going back three hours, and I try to turn it ahead again, but then some pages don't load. Something about my time being in the future. O_O; Help?

Cassandra LeMay

Is it always three hours? No change in day or year, nothing completely random? Does it change after you entered the correct time while you still have the computer running? Do you get any error message when pages don't load?

If it's completely random and happens only when you start the computer I would say the BIOS battery is running low and the computer can't remember the correct time when it's switched off.

If it's always those three hours you might to try synchronizing it with a different time server (if you make use of that option). Perhaps the fault is on that end?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Also, if the sites giving you a problem are consistently the same sites, check to see if there is the ability to set your time zone/offset for that site.  For example, Elliquiy's profile controls includes a 'Look and Layout' where you can  set the number of hours to +/- to make displayed time equal to your local time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Xenphir on July 20, 2014, 01:01:05 PM
Not really, but I need some help on these strange occurrences. For some reason, my clock keeps going back three hours, and I try to turn it ahead again, but then some pages don't load. Something about my time being in the future. O_O; Help?

Modern operating systems usually get their time from a timing server on the Internet. If your time zone is off, it will reset to the 'wrong' time.

Soran

The clock on your BIOS is set to a different time. I found that out when I was building a PC with a faulty Sabretooth motherboard. Drove me nuts trying to work it out.