A name for...?

Started by Zeitgeist, December 29, 2009, 06:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeitgeist

The the jewel of a belly dancer's pierced navel? I'm wondering if there is a specific name for that. Perhaps found somewhere in the pages of the Belly Dancer's Lexicon? LOL. But seriously...anyone?

Thanks ;D

Oniya

http://www.shira.net/costuming/navel-jewel.htm

Apparently, it's not a traditional part of the costume, but a Hollywood way to avoid the scandal of showing a naked belly button.  As such, there is no traditional name other than 'navel piercing'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oniya on December 29, 2009, 06:52:45 PM
http://www.shira.net/costuming/navel-jewel.htm

Apparently, it's not a traditional part of the costume, but a Hollywood way to avoid the scandal of showing a naked belly button.  As such, there is no traditional name other than 'navel piercing'.

Well I'll be damned. Learn something new every day. Interesting, and thank you Oniya!

Oniya

It was new for me as well. :)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oniya on December 29, 2009, 10:08:54 PM
It was new for me as well. :)

It seemed like a plausible idea, not for the reasons Hollywood demanded the navel be covered, but as I would imagine others would think, to draw one's attention! Could even be a 'sign' of wealth for a higher class dancer, in the context of a fictional story. That was how it came to me, my poor and down trodden dancer couldn't even afford a navel jewel! LOL