So, "The Hunger Games" movie drops in March.

Started by Wolfy, February 22, 2012, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

The Hunger Games Official Trailer 2012 HD

It doesn't look SO bad...

I can't be the only one who read and enjoyed the books on elliquiy, though, can I?

Callie Del Noire

I liked them..the trailer seems to do a good job about the book but we shall see.

undisclosedtoyou

I've just finished reading Catching Fire, and starting Mockingjay, and I can definitely say that I like them so far.  I started reading them because the trailer for the movie looks pretty good, and now that I've actually read the first one, I agree with Callie's statement; from what we can see with the trailer, it looks like a pretty good interpretation of the books.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

I love them, practically devoured each book in three hours (each book not the entire series xD)! I have my cousins reading them, I turned my beau onto the series, and he turned his friends onto the series. It is like I'm pimping out the books to anyone who will listen.

I've seen the trailers and gotta say I'm ecstatic to see the movie. It looks like they kept true to the books save for a few minor things that can be looked over, and I love reading all the actors interviews about playing the characters. The cast they picked is great, and I love how they made the elaborate Capital outfits. I even liked the Taylor Swift song for the movie and I have never liked any of her songs before!

If anyone is curious they have also set up an 'official' Tumblr and a Capital website that when you sign up, you are sorted into a District.

I got District 3.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Alysanthia on February 23, 2012, 01:43:03 AM
I love them, practically devoured each book in three hours (each book not the entire series xD)! I have my cousins reading them, I turned my beau onto the series, and he turned his friends onto the series. It is like I'm pimping out the books to anyone who will listen.

I've seen the trailers and gotta say I'm ecstatic to see the movie. It looks like they kept true to the books save for a few minor things that can be looked over, and I love reading all the actors interviews about playing the characters. The cast they picked is great, and I love how they made the elaborate Capital outfits. I even liked the Taylor Swift song for the movie and I have never liked any of her songs before!

If anyone is curious they have also set up an 'official' Tumblr and a Capital website that when you sign up, you are sorted into a District.

I got District 3.

Do you have the link to the capital website?
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on February 23, 2012, 01:48:26 AM
Do you have the link to the capital website?

Yep yep! n_n

The Capital website

Tumblr page

Also the official website for the books has two trivia games up to see if you can handle the Hunger Games as a tribute.

Callie Del Noire

undisclosedtoyou

I got District 7, as Lead climber!  Woot woot.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

I love the little cards they assign once you are all registered, I have mine plastered everywhere I think... >_>

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Alysanthia on February 23, 2012, 02:56:19 AM
I love the little cards they assign once you are all registered, I have mine plastered everywhere I think... >_>

Hahaha, I liked it to, although I didn't keep it.  What I really want, is to find a blank card I can alter, since I'm in the planning stage of creating a game in the setting.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on February 23, 2012, 02:59:52 AM
Hahaha, I liked it to, although I didn't keep it.  What I really want, is to find a blank card I can alter, since I'm in the planning stage of creating a game in the setting.

Sign me up as interested when get it started! I had thought about making one after reading Mockingjay but didn't really know which direction to go with it.

Map of Panem

A teacher made a map of Panem with their students after reading all the books, according to it I would actually be in District 10 where they produce all the meat. Though I don't think I could kill anything I raised...

undisclosedtoyou

Shoot, you know I'd love to have you in any of my games  :-*

And that map rocks!  I'd be in District three.  But since I generally kill anything electronic that comes near me...fun :P
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Wolfy

Well, the reason why the first movie seems to be so faithful is because the author actually wrote the script for it. (She had some help, but she did most of it)

Now, the second movie will have a different writer, so we'll have to see about that.

Plus, I'm wondering, considering that the movie is rated PG-13 and not R, how the hell are the going to handle a lot of teen deaths? @_@

I mean, the books were pretty..well, graphic about it.

undisclosedtoyou

The question about rating is a good one.  While depictions of death itself isn't enough to bump the rating to R, how the kids die would, in my opinion.  I hope they didn't skimp on the action to manipulate the movie into a PG-13 rating.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

The Hunger Games is catagorized as young adult in any library, bookstore, and etc. So a PG-13 rating does make sense, seeing how a majority of the viewers will be teenagers and some adults. Though since the movie's announcement I wanna say more adults picked up the books out of curiosity.

I'm curious on how they will depict the violence too, because lets face it, once a certain scene happens everyone is going to be crying like a baby.

I am looking forward to how they show all the amazing technology Collins wrote about in the book. From the platforms to bring the tributes to the game grounds and not to mention the 'fire's cape. I expect lots of cheering and awe once they are on fire.

Oh! And the insane Capitol fashion I love the tumblr page that gives sneek peeks of the costumes. I am obsessed with makeup and things like that. Mainly because poor special effect makeup can ruin a movie.

Wolfy

I know what scene your talking about, and considering that Collins herself did the script for the first movie, that scene is going to be in there in some way.

I just hope they don't skimp on the tragedy, cause my pages are still stained with tears. T-T

ChocoMuffin

The movie looks okay! I mean, I hope it just isn't another horrible spin-off...like Avatar: The Last Airbender...but usually book movies aren't too bad. I really liked the books, and I'd be sad if the movie screwed it up for everyone.

Iniquitous

District 4 .. and my assigned job is.... canner. 0.0
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Wolfy

Quote from: ChocoMuffin on March 03, 2012, 04:28:13 PM
The movie looks okay! I mean, I hope it just isn't another horrible spin-off...like Avatar: The Last Airbender...but usually book movies aren't too bad. I really liked the books, and I'd be sad if the movie screwed it up for everyone.

Considering that the author who wrote the books also wrote the script for the first movie (With a little help, but still)?

I don't think it will be that bad, really.

I think it's more the actors who could ruin it, depending upon how strong they are..I mean, they all look new to me.

flightzeit

I'm pretty excited. If only because, when I first heard about the plot to the Hunger Games, I was basically like, "So, it's a . . . Battle Royale ripoff?" And, then I read it, and enjoyed it for reasons separate of my reasons for enjoying Battle Royale. But, to calm down any fears about the quality of the movie, here is a direct quote from the authoress (hid as a spoiler just because it's a LONG quote):

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
“Dear Readers,

I’ve just had the opportunity to see the finished film of The Hunger Games. I’m really happy with how it turned out. I feel like the book and the film are individual yet complementary pieces that enhance one another. The film opens up the world beyond Katniss’ point of view, allowing the audience access to the happenings of places like the Hunger Games control room and President Snow’s rose garden, thereby adding a new dimension to the story.

Director Gary Ross has created an adaptation that is faithful in both narrative and theme, but he’s also brought a rich and powerful vision of Panem, its brutality and excesses, to the film as well. His world building’s fantastic, whether it be the Seam or the Capitol. It’s amazing to see things that are suggested in the book fully developed and so brilliantly realized through the artistry of the designers.

And, my God, the actors. The cast, led by the extraordinary Jennifer Lawrence, is absolutely wonderful across the board. It’s such a pleasure to see how they’ve embodied the characters and brought them to life.

So I’d like to sincerely thank all the many people who devoted their time and talents to the film, especially producers Nina Jacobson and Jon Kilik, and the excellent teams at Color Force, Larger Than Life, and Lionsgate.

I hope you enjoy the film!”

Roleplayer. Barista. Hookah Guru. Explorer. Kinkster. Tea connoisseur.
~and so much more~

ChocoMuffin

Oh? I didn't know the author helped write the script, then the dialogue might not be too bad, but the way the actors carry out that dialogue is very important...but since the author does have some say in it (I hope) she might know what's best for the movie based on her book, since she knows the characters the best.

Wolfy

I just hope that one scene (I believe we all know what I'm talking about, especially if you read the book) wasn't cut out to drop it to the PG-13 rating...

I mean, that one, powerful scene is the start of well..everything that happens after, really, including Katniss deciding to fight back.

Alysanthia

Well they do show Katniss offering the D12 signal, press three fingers against your lips then raise them in salute. Which she did in the book after that 'scene', just thinking about it makes me want to cry! T__T

Cafepress is selling the District IDP you get from Capitol.PN for 'free' and by free they mean you only pay the shipping.

Hot Topic is also selling some Hunger Game themed shirts but the real place to get shirts is from Cafepress because they carry District specific merchandise. :D

Alysanthia

Picked up the People Magazine issue of Hunger Games, has some really awesome interviews and cast pictures. Told how the actors got their roles, why they wanted to audition, and what they did to prepare for the movie.

Noxie

Until a couple months ago I was not interested in the Hunger Games. I thought it looked a little ridiculous. Then, a friend of mine insisted I try the books. I read the first one and then immediately went out to get the last two. I love the series and I am anxiously awaiting the movie. I'm looking forward to see how they present the story on the big screen. It can either be really spectacular or disappointing. I guess we'll just have to wait until March 23 to find out.