Mialath's Musings (M for F (mostly))

Started by Mialath, September 10, 2014, 08:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mialath

Good morning/day/afternoon/evening/night, denizens of E! Let me start off by saying that nothing's set in stone, and I'm more than welcome to go over ideas. I've had that telltale “need some RP” itch for quite a while and been lurking the request threads for a few days now, searching for something that catches my eye, but have thus far come up empty. There were a couple that I noticed, but I've unfortunately lost them in my constant tab opening and closing.

So! I've decided to see what kind of thoughts popped into my head, and this will be the list.

While I'm not the pickiest when it comes to partners, everyone has their own criteria for what they need/want/would love in order to thrive as a successful writer or Role Play-er, and here are the basics:

-Flexible. I don't mean you need to be able to do the splits, or bend over backward in some of those sexy but incredibly awkward poses. Instead, I mean with your ideas. I view RPing as writing or creating a story, but with multiple authors and from multiple points of view. As such, it's a collaboration and should be treated as such. As with all successful relationships, there's give and take. This goes for direction, ideas on where to go, and how to get there, rather than one person making all the decisions.

-Fun! I'm not the most fun or exciting person in the world, and I don't expect everyone else to be, but RP is supposed to be fun. A release. An outlet. A form of entertainment. It's not to be taken seriously, so let's enjoy ourselves!

-Grammar. I'm generally pretty good at understanding what people mean, but (as has been said time and time again) there's a huge difference between “Let's eat grandpa!” and “Let's eat, grandpa!” If I read a sentence and it's choppy or has no punctuation whatsoever and it reads like “It was a great sunny day things were going great the baseball team scored while people cheered with their bright red hats blocking out the hot sunny rays that beat down onto the metal seats in the sold out sweltering stadium,” it's simply tough to get into and enjoy, though there are of course exceptions to the rule. That said, everyone makes mistakes and I'll never go all grammar-Nazi on you because there's really no reason for that. I realize that many of you aren't native English speakers, and learning a second language is something that I've never mastered, so much respect to those of you who do!

-Detail. A one or two line post is simply not enough to provide any kind of response or input in many cases. Again, there are always exceptions, but for the most part, if a partner were to spend a half hour or so working on a nice, long post, and I were to respond in a couple of minutes with a sentence or two, I'd expect to not have that partner very long. It's not helpful or constructive, and it doesn't really give anything to go off. That partner would be better off simply writing a story.

-Effort. I don't mean that you should be fixating on an RP night and day; I realize that many of you have many RP's going on at once, you have families, you have friends, you have school, work, a social life, and anything else. All I ask is that you put a little bit of thought and effort into your work. You should have pride in your writing! :) And I'll put as much effort in as any partner does, so it'll work out better for ya.

-Most of the above wishes are more guidelines than anything. If there's one thing that you take from this list, it's that nobody and I mean NOBODY likes it when someone godmode's. I've never seen a single person or thread that welcomes it, and the same is true here. It's disrespectful, a huge fun-killer, and just lame.

As a side note, I'm currently sitting around my computer most of the day and will be available to reply a lot. It'd be awesome (but understandable if not) if a partner would be able to put posts up daily or a few times a week, but it's not a requirement or anything. I'm currently working nights, so I'm asleep through a lot of the day, but I still do my best to reply to my RP's as quickly as possible. I know that lots of you have school and jobs and it's not feasible to sit around at your computer all day, but of course the more responses, the less time I spend sitting around wondering what to do ;P. Like I said. It's for fun, not a job, and we all have our own schedules, so yea.

Anyway, if you're still here and I haven't scared you off by being entirely too long-winded (which I'm sure I have for some of you), here's what I've got for now. For any questions or ideas, go ahead and toss me a PM.

Ever lose yourself in a book?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The main idea is that one of our characters exists in the real world and owns a notebook that he/she just got. What said character doesn't realize is that it's magic (ooooh, aaaaah) and will suck the writer into its pages, forcing him or her to live in the story that he or she is creating. My original thought for the writer would be that he or she would be kinda a nerd/geek type person that enjoys reading and writing (not a huge stretch for most of us, I expect :P). The thought was that they'd (sorry, but writing “him/her” a bunch will just be grating) suddenly find themselves in a house of the character that they were writing about. The basic, overarching plot would be to find a way home through whatever means we can figure out.

Along the way, there would be adventure, adversity, enemies, and maybe some friends to help us out as well. Was thinking that maybe there'd be that typical evil overlord archetype that wants to use this technology to take over the world if he learned. How we'd get the writer back to the “real world” would be up to us to figure out. Who your character is is up to you, but I've idealized the world that the writer ends up in is a fantasy world with the typical elves, humans, dwarves, orcs, swords, and sorcery.

Of course, there's nothing to say that our protagonist will even make it home, or if he/she will end up wanting to leave this fantastical fairy tale when the opportunity presents itself. Seduction, temptation, relationships, blackmail, plots, and plot twists may very well be around each and every corner. Who's to say that our characters won't build a tight-knit bond that keeps them together, or if either of our characters will end up being the same as when we embarked on this journey? That's all part of the fun and part of the story!

The City of Illusions
Cadun, the City of Illusions is a big, bustling city in a generic fantasy world (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc), ripe with goods and and services from the far reaches of the world. In any such city, crime is abundant, though kept on the down low so as not to bring the authorities down on them in full force. If one looked deeply enough, one would find that there are guilds of any type with skills to be found to suit any agenda, whether it's an assassin's guild, a thief guild, a monster hunter guild, or anything else one might think of. Moreover, there are multiple guilds of each kind, causing jurisdiction problems.

In this more tropical city, we meet our characters. Mine will be a thief, somewhat high ranking in his guild, but nowhere really at the top. Yours can be anything you think of. Some ideas include (but are nowhere near limited to) a thief from another guild, both set to burglarize the same house; the house owner that my character has been set to steal from; a mark on the street that might catch my character and capture my attention as I get away, drawing me back out of curiosity; or again, anything you may think of.

Possible plots for this may include dissension within the guild, maybe even to the point of fighting to bring our respective guilds (or just mine) down; traitors (Romeo and Juliette style where we begin seeing each other more and more even though it would be highly looked down upon) to our guilds; or someone beginning to show my character the errors of his ways, shake his foundational beliefs of the world. Again, it's a story that the both of us will write together, so your input is greatly appreciated! Just run ideas by me and we'll see where we end up ;)

Forest of Secrets
My thoughts on this one are to explore how a character may react to new... everything. One of our characters will have been raised by magical creatures in the forest outside of a moderate sized town since before he/she can remember (think of Dryads or Nymphs as an example, but nothing specific). Even though he or she has lived just a few miles out, his or her “parents” have always warned him or her to stay away from anything that they don't know about. This unfortunately includes anyone from that town (which will be of either or both of our creations). All of his or her life, this “wild” person has been good about following that one rule, and has become very adept at climbing and hiding, to make sure he or she has never been seen by anyone from the human village. One day, however, things change.

The other character would be someone from the village that finds the wild one. At first, there would probably be some curiosity and trepidation on both sides, but once the initial shock wore off, there would be more curiosity. As the wild one is shown more and more of this “civilization” and technology, all the wonders of the city, he or she would slowly grow to want and learn more of the culture and the people of the village, noticing how much closer to him/her they all look, compared to the creatures that raised him or her. Of course, the other character has every right to be just as curious. After all, how can someone survive out here since birth?

There could be a wide variety of circumstances that lead to our characters meeting. Initial ideas are that the “wild” character could be injured or caught in some trap, and the other would just happen along, noticing this person with odd clothes in pain or in trouble of some kind; maybe the wild character has been following after solitary villagers who go out to wander around the forest, working up the nerve to actually encounter one; maybe the creatures have grown wary of the growing drive to be more like a human than like them, and don't want him or her to stay any longer because they fear him or her. Or any number of other reasons to bring us together.

My first thoughts for characters would have the wild one be a male and the villager that he runs into be a female. Both would be fairly young adults (18-20 or so), and of course very curious. Romance and everything could easily blossom between the two, though the roles and personalities can be easily switched and changed. Where they end up is completely open ended, as this is just the start of it. It can be fairly short, or go on until we feel that the story is done.

Plot twists and turns are more than appreciated, and feel free to change ideas around and let me know if this sounds like something that'd be fun to do. As with all of my ideas, nothing is set in stone, so tweak and change ideas to make it a story made by two people, rather than a single person's thought :)

Virtue
One of my first RPs ever was set in the Dragonlance world, where I played a young aspiring Knight, filled with the naivete of youthful optimism. Any who have read much of those books know that to a Knight of Solamnia, his honor is his life, and all of the idealized thoughts of our own knights are present. As such, that was his goal, even though he would likely never reach Knighthood since one must be born into it. The other character, a rogue of sorts, was bent on showing him what things were really like. **Please note that I'm not saying that this has to be a fandom or anything.**

For this idea, one of our characters would be an idealized person, with the brightest ideas of the world around us. The other, however, would be much more worldly. Somehow, the two end up becoming companions, the more worldly character slowly “corrupting” (for lack of a better word) the innocent younger character. Not necessarily for evil, though that's not out of the question, but by giving the naive character a real look at the world around them, opening his or her eyes. Where our characters may end up is up to us. What happens between them is anyone's guess. Is one of us a thief? Hellbent on seducing younger, inexperienced travelers for our own goods? Will the young “goody two-shoes” end up fending off the corruption and keeping his or her innocence in tact? Where would you like to take this?

Drifters
The captain of a very small scavenging/trading/smuggling ship stumbles upon an odd occurrence in one of his runs. When scanning through some debris at the site of a somewhat recent battle, the captain found a single pod that was still intact with one life form aboard. Who is in the pod? Is it me? Is it you? Does this person have some sort of mission? Is this person running from something? There are tons more questions and ways to drive the plot from here, and that includes our captain.

Either of us could be either party, with outside details to be worked on to whatever degree we may need. This story can literally go anywhere, and though there's not many specifics here, I hope it'll catch someone's interest!

As we're on this particular site, adult themes are of course more than welcome, but not necessary, and I will never EVER force anything on you (unless it's asked for or it's IC, of course).

And last note: I'm up for just about anything if you've got ideas. My preferences are medieval times, fantasy, sci-fi, and Rome-type settings (think gladiators for the most part) mostly, but I'm up for just about anything, given the right person or people.

More will be added whenever they pop into my mind! For samples and my O/O, check my links in my sig :)
~Come into my web, said the spider to the fly~
Stories: Mia's Magic

Mialath

Mialath

Mialath

Mialath

Tossing out a bump and to say that I'm feelin' kinda sci-fi but don't have any specific plot in mind. If anybody's interested, toss me a PM!

Mialath

Mialath

Hey all, I've been away for a few years and looking to kill some time getting back into some RP! If anyone sees anything they're interested in, shoot me a quick message. Or if anyone has any other idea they'd like to put out to me, feel more than free. I don't bite... usually...  >:)

Mialath

Bump for the month. Looking to pick up another one or two stories to work on with people.