Interest Check: Surreal Sailor Moon-ish Sandbox

Started by MadPanda, May 02, 2008, 02:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

This is all Hunter's fault, sort of.  Along with one too many Ranma/SM/Matrix crossovers, a few sleepless nights, and plenty of stress.

Anyone interested in something a bit like Paprika with a heavy dose of Dark City and a touch of the Matrix?  Can do this either freeform or with a nice, light system written with Matrix-style stunts in mind...
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Hunter

CirclMastr

Wait, what?

I'm so confused by this premise.  Explanation please.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

MadPanda

Exactly, Friend Citizen.
Please press the green button marked 'help' for further instructions.

(ahem)

Yes, the premise is a little confusing.  It's supposed to be confusing.  Think Myst meets Dark City with a touch of the Matrix and you'll be going the right general direction.  The SM side of this game as an inspiration from a particular fanfic, and I mentioned it to Hunter as a possible fuck-with-our-players-heads subplot (since I'm co-GMing one of his games).  He thought I was proposing an entirely new game rather than suggesting a premise for his...

Much crossing of lines of communication followed, and here we are.

In Memory of Bishrook

CirclMastr

Sounds just crazy enough to work, though I can't promise good amounts of attention until a week or two hence.  I've got projects due in the coming week and finals the week after, but then I'm in the clear.
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

MadPanda

My time is also limited.   :)  Hence the preference for freeform or rules-lite stuff.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Hunter has generously offered to allow this as a side thread to his Sailor Moon game...so the interested can come have a gander once I get things lined up (which may take a bit).

I'm shooting for players-as-artists approach here, rather than players-as-audience.  The rules that might be used for resolution allow for a LOT of player creative control and input, so this will be more like collaborative storytelling.

Although given the sources I've already mentioned, y'all probably figured that.

HOWEVER...we'll need some magical girls!  Can't have a magical girl game without magical girls.  Even evil ones.

In Memory of Bishrook

Celestial Goblin

Paprika? Dark City? What are those?
Please explain in layman terms, just what are you trying to do with Sailor Moon?

Because I wouldn't shy away from playing a magical girl/knight in a surreal setting, but what kind of surreal are we talking here about?

MadPanda

Paprika was a recent anime movie that involves a lot of funky dream sequences.  In fact, most of the movie IS one...sort of.

Dark City is a science fiction film done several years back that involved a very flexible location and a lot of odd psychological twists.  (At the time, a couple of my friends considered it high praise when I said that whenever I thought that movie couldn't have gotten any stranger, it did...)

I'm not planning on going quite that strange.  The starting premise of this scenario is the same as Hunter's--the Big Attack has happened and the few survivors of the various Moon Kingdom states get to rebuild.  It is merely that not all is as it seems.  (insert wicked cackle here)

In Memory of Bishrook

CirclMastr

So you mean I can't play Mr. Quick or Mr. Book? :(

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

CirclMastr

Or Mr. Wall, or Mr. Rain, or Mr. Sleep.

"You wouldn't appreciate that, would you, Mr. Whatever-your-name-is?"

All these names have got me thinking about Nobilis now.

MadPanda

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14839.0

"The war, such as it was, has ended.  Beryl has been defeated, but the majority of the Silver Kingdoms have been badly damaged and the royal houses all but wiped out in the final battle...leaving the few and scattered survivors with the unenviable job of cleaning up and rebuilding.

Here, in the remains of the old Senatorial Forum, one such group meets to discuss their options..."

(ahem)

Game on!  Come on in, mess around, see what happens...some of the active players in the SM game might drop by just to see what the frell is going on.

Just remember, it's in Light.  No rough stuff.  :)

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Apparently I did my job a little too well and in trying to communicate a sense of oddness and dreamy surrealism went too far to the obsure and the perplexing.

I'm shooting for players as fellow artists, not as captive audience: the difference lies in how much the players know about what's going on...which is why I put the report in there.  It was meant to do two things (besides make people ask me 'what the frell?' and look puzzled).  First, it sets a bit of the tone for this little experiment.  And second, it explains far more than it seems to...but before I can tell you the punch line, we have to figure out where the joke is going.  :)

Anyway, we're open for business!  Come on in, have a drink, check out the decor...

In Memory of Bishrook

Hunter

*waves hand like some kind of jedi*

You must sign up.  Sign up now.   Play now.

Elohim

I'm not much of a sailor moon fan...  but I was a big fan of Dark city...  how much knowledge would I need of SM?

MadPanda

None.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  If all else fails, you have trauma-induced amnesia...

In Memory of Bishrook

Elohim

SWEET!  I've always wanted to play a character with trauma induced amnesia...  for serious!

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook