Anonymous announces "Operation: Fox Hunt"

Started by Wolfy, October 29, 2011, 09:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Anonymous-Operation Fox Hunt:Anti Fox News Campaign

Because of what Fox News has done in the past, and how they are now attacking the Wall Street Protestors, Anonymous has announced that they will take down the Fox News Website and start a campaign of their own to chastise them.

I personally think Fox News has had this coming for a long time, but eh, that's just me. >_>

Missy

I don't really like either party...and I like Anonomous even less after this.

Callie Del Noire

I think I'll sit back and watch from a safe distance. One thing I expect out of this. The Fox Network's IT department just got more funding. :D

Beguile's Mistress

I don't care for either one of them.  It's going to be like watching two people you hate having a cat fight.

Rinzler

I'm just amazed that they managed to recruit Stephen Hawking for the voiceover!

Oniya

Quote from: DeMalachine on October 29, 2011, 02:49:57 PM
I'm just amazed that they managed to recruit Stephen Hawking for the voiceover!

Nah, they just hacked his voice software.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

I'm amused and sad. I decided to go look up Stephen Hawking on Wikipedia...I punch in S-T-E-P-H into the search bar and it coughs up all the "Stephen ____" pages, arranged by (presumably) hits/popularity. Stephen Colbert is above Stephen Hawking (though both are below Stephen King).

Izzie Aditi

They managed to temporarily take down Mastercard, Visa and PayPal websites in late 2010, I have a feeling the Fox News website won't be that much of a hassle.

I know very little about Fox News myself since I live in Europe, it's all hearsay for me. However, all the big media outlets here are not covering the protests all that much. Apparently people have been protesting for weeks here -not near where I live, but in the country nonetheless- and it has hardly made the news. One would say an ongoing protest would get quite some coverage..
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Callie Del Noire

Well I think that this has a good chance to grow beyond a single day strike. Do you HONESTLY like any of those mouth breather talking heads that work for Fox will keep their mouths shut? They're going to say something.. and like a troll flame war.. this will escalate.

Pumpkin Seeds

So in order to protect the rights of people protesting and speaking out, Anonymous is going to silence someone else?  Seems to me Anonymous is run by some short sighted people.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 29, 2011, 06:00:08 PM
So in order to protect the rights of people protesting and speaking out, Anonymous is going to silence someone else?  Seems to me Anonymous is run by some short sighted people.

I think it's more of a 'putting their foot in' in their outlook. As in Fox (and it's owner Herr Rupert) need a good solid kicking.

Oniya

I have to admit, they do tend to be a bit on the 'knee-jerk' end of things.  There's a distinct lack of 'let's think this through', both here and with the proposed DDoS attack on the Wall Street servers.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

DDoSing Wall Street? Wouldn't that actually be legitimate cyber-terrorism? ???

Oniya

It would be - if they actually had a prayer of doing what they intended.  I vaguely remember that they were going to try, didn't hear anything else about it, and now that I go looking, it turns out that the NYSE barely noticed.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/technology/anonymous_nyse/index.htm

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2011, 06:34:40 PM
It would be - if they actually had a prayer of doing what they intended.  I vaguely remember that they were going to try, didn't hear anything else about it, and now that I go looking, it turns out that the NYSE barely noticed.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/technology/anonymous_nyse/index.htm

Most likely because those who CAN do that woudln't want to. They dont' want to go to jail.

Oniya

Q.V. my posts on 'great power' and 'great responsibility' on the other thread about Anonymous.  ;D

In the context of the hacker/cracker community, the ones I respect more are the ones who don't feel obliged to show off how deep into the IC they can get.

Wolfy

>_> I personally thing that Fox News has had this coming for a LOOOOONG time...all you have to do is look back at their record of how many inaccuracies and false information they've put out there to support "The Right Wing" agenda and you can see why people don't like them.

Florence

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 29, 2011, 06:00:08 PM

That's not true, given that Anonymous isn't 'run' by anyone. People treat Anonymous like it's a traditional organization, which isn't true. There's no rank or leadership or orders or anything of the sort. It's a blanket term used by any gathering of like-minded individuals on the internet, particularly those who regular sites like 4chan or Encyclopedia Dramatica.

As for my opinion on the whole thing. I respect Fox News' right to spout their ignorant bs, and I also respect the people's right to tell them where they can cram them. When we cross the line into committing crimes, I have issue, but I do find it hard to be sympathetic to Fox News.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

RubySlippers

Those that founded the United States commited crimes: High Treason, Open Rebellion, Murder and we consider in our nation the end justified.

If those in power now abuse this power they are upset a counterpoint is now out there that is no easy to ID and knock out and global. As I see this if they act rightly and don't suppress information and the free internet, they don't abuse their awesome power over their citizens and consumers they will not be a target.

I just think they are now sadly necessary when no other options work.

TheGlyphstone

But legally, mass media has no authority. They don't have any power except what modern culture gives them. So whatever drivel Fox (or CNN, or MSNBC) spouts, it's a problem with the citizens for paying attention, not a problem of the news networks abusing anything.

Pumpkin Seeds

There is always a leadership.  As human being we are social animals and as social animals there is a hierarchy that is established in any endeavor.  Anonymous has adopted a symbol (the man with the question mark for a head), a motto (We are Legion etc. etc.) and posts forth goals to be established.  While the position may be that these are separate groups just bearing the mantle of Anonymous, those same people are not exclusive of each other.  The skill set and culture is a small one that more than likely has various requirements to become part of and so closes itself off from the larger community.  This means that the same people are moving in this circle and so there is a leadership structure, even if unofficial.

Anonymous may enjoy hiding behind the name and banner, but there is a leadership structure.  Even if the leadership is as informal as a group of friends, there is still someone designing the ideas and establishing the goals and symbols to adopt.  Anonymous is honestly not random enough in its selection of targets to reflect a broad spectrum of ideologies and groups.  The same people are taking up the mantle of Anonymous even if the exact troops may change.

Their proposed attack on Fox News for calling the protesters names is simply wrong.  To deny someone else their freedom of speech just because there is disagreement is not upholding freedom of speech in the slightest.  Fox News talk shows have the ability to say as they want, just as we have the right to turn off those channels.  So long as they adhere to the ideals of journalism in their actual news casts then they are doing their jobs.  Fox News accuses other stations of publishing propaganda just as they accuse Fox of the same.  Fox News points out poor journalism and false reports just as others point out the mistakes of Fox.  Both sides go at each other.

The Occupy Wallstreet Protesters should denounce the activities of this group performed on their behalf.  Anonymous is only going to serve to bring more attention to the words of Fox, give them validity in the eyes of the public and possibly turn opinion against the Occupy Wallstreet movement.

Jacqueline

I think that the Anonymous structure is horizontal, but anyway blocking a website doesn't seem like a terrible crime, at least they're not hurting anyone. A different thing is if they steal or make profit of stolen information which I don't know if they do or don't.

Oniya

Voltaire once said 'I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'

Anonymous's 'Operation Fox Hunt' says 'We don't agree with what you say, so we're going to overload your website so no-one can hear you.'

Who truly embodies freedom of information?

Zakharra

Quote from: Elenwe on October 31, 2011, 09:28:26 AM
I think that the Anonymous structure is horizontal, but anyway blocking a website doesn't seem like a terrible crime, at least they're not hurting anyone. A different thing is if they steal or make profit of stolen information which I don't know if they do or don't.

What about blocking a bank site? Crashing a business's website? That can hurt the business when they cannot get online orders, process money or connect to people.  It might not hurt people directly, like a fist to the face or breaking a glass window, but it can hurt a business.

Slight topic change, I heard on the radio this morning that Anonymous is taking on several Mexican drug cartels after one of their members was kidnapped. They said they would start naming names and addresses of associates of the cartels and corrupt cops.  Can anyone confirm that? If it's true, this is a real  physical escalation that will leave people dead.

Sabby

My translation? "We're tired of you suppressing others and slandering them, that's why we're going to suppress and slander you"