Are Facebook and Twitter Hurting Society?

Started by Aludiana of the Dusk, November 17, 2010, 09:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aludiana of the Dusk

I'm curious, with all the news reports lately about people updating their social networks and taking cellphone videos instead of you know, helping or calling for help. It kind of gets me wondering just how many people would even think to update their twitter feed. I'm not saying there is one right solution here, or that there are bad people on E, because I don't think there are. I'm just curious how many people might even think to update a social network feed or take video before they'd think to call for help.

If you feel like it, you can leave a comment explaining your thoughts on the matter or why you voted the way you did, or whatever.
~On Hiatus Indefinitely~

Serephino

Are social networking sites hurting society?  In my opinion; yes.  People get so obsessed with them they don't live their lives.  And yes, people have a tendency to record stuff with their phones rather than like... help...  Of course people were like that before such technology.  It's called mob mentality.  I remember studying it a little in my psych class.  Everyone just assumes someone else will help.

But getting back on topic, I refuse to touch these sites with a ten foot poll.  Well, I did make a facebook account to play games on, and I used a fake name, but I haven't logged on in nearly a week.  I do not feel the need to know what everyone I know is doing every minute of every day. 

Pumpkin Seeds

The phenomenon being referred to is called diffusion of responsibility.  Studies have shown that depending on the number of people present in a given area, people’s responses change.  The more people in an area, the less likely people are to respond to help the individual or call for assistance.  Sadly, a woman being raped on a busy street in New York is less likely to receive help than if she was raped on a subway car with only a few people.  This is because people shrug the responsibility off onto someone else, assuming that someone else must have called the police or intervened already.  So they would rather not get involved.

Diffusion of responsibility is not linked to social networking sites because this existed long before them.  Many incidents of people being killed in public, beaten loudly in their apartments, raped on busy streets and such have been documented.  The harm for these sites does not come from people’s inability to help or reach out to others, but rather from their ability to do so with anonymity and distance.

A breakdown of connection in community and neighborhoods can be linked to the growth of social network sites.  Face-to-face interaction is an important social convention that is being lost via the internet and social networking sites.  Even something like elliquiy is a threat to that convention.  Researchers have been documenting the continued isolation of the American in their homes for many years.  The drying funds for social organizations, religions groups, public works/playgrounds and the growing fear of strangers.  A lot of this can be traced to our ability to simply “friend” people instead of going outside to meet them.

There is also the problem of information being disseminated quickly and easily to unintended audiences.  No longer is an embarrassing video regulated to close knit friends or community, but could be spread nation wide.  The video could even prompt airing on a nationally syndicated show such as Tosh.O.  Networking sites make this transition far easier than previously and with consequences that we are only now starting to witness.

Oniya

Assuming I had a cell-phone that could do video, I would call 911 first (from a land-line if I could find one quickly, otherwise from the cell-phone.) and then I would proceed to take as much video as I could.  License plates.  The perpetrator.  Anything that can and will be used as evidence against the scum-sucker.  I would not upload it to the 'Net - I would email it to myself.

I would not use the element of surprise to try to disarm the person, because I am 100 pounds soaking wet with a brick in each pocket, although I could probably sneak up on him if I turned sideways.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Brandon

I think there is an issue but I dont think its solely to do with social networking websites like facebook. Instead I think it has more to do with humanity or lack there of. I have been in situations where crimes have taken place and have been the only person who tried to help but thats the kind of person I am.

I think its a good thing that were living in the age of cell phone cameras because I have used my own cell to call the police, take pictures of a crime happening, and when handed over to the police helped get the criminals convicted.

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cherry Bloodrayne

Quote from: Serephino on November 17, 2010, 09:42:49 PM
Are social networking sites hurting society?  In my opinion; yes.  People get so obsessed with them they don't live their lives.  And yes, people have a tendency to record stuff with their phones rather than like... help...  Of course people were like that before such technology.  It's called mob mentality.  I remember studying it a little in my psych class.  Everyone just assumes someone else will help.

But getting back on topic, I refuse to touch these sites with a ten foot poll.  Well, I did make a facebook account to play games on, and I used a fake name, but I haven't logged on in nearly a week.  I do not feel the need to know what everyone I know is doing every minute of every day. 

Technology in general is corrupting people. We had to write a paper/research about how things like this corrupt people, and yes, it does include Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.

For example, ever since my younger cousin got a Facebook, our whole family has changed because of the drama the cousin has caused over Facebook.

I do have a Facebook, but never do login as much as some of the more FB fans would.

Nyarly

Society is hurting itself. Are you trying to say that people would be less apathetic if Facebook wouldn't exist? You've got to be kidding me.

Hostility towards technology is hardly a solution to solve social issues and, if expressed on the internet, reeks of hypocrisy.

Noelle

"Society" isn't really an acceptable answer for what's hurting itself given that "society" is made up of a multitude of sources and influences and other contents therein, and I doubt it's any one thing in particular that's "hurting society". There are avenues through which the uglier side of society can show through (such as the internet in general, Anonymous, and yes, social media as well), but there are also a multitude of accounts where we see the same "people" you deem apathetic coming through during times of crisis and otherwise performing altruistic acts for the benefit and well-being of others.

Even in this thread, we see people who have given us examples of using technology to benefit a victim (getting license plate numbers, etc.) -- which raises the question of if it's technology that's bringing out the worst in people or if it's a person's morals and personality and such themselves. I would safely go with the latter: I use social networking, I own a cell phone, but I also know how to act appropriately when something bad is happening. Priorities, etc.

I wonder, did this topic spring up in light of the Bill Nye incident?

Cherry Bloodrayne

Quote from: Nyarly on November 18, 2010, 12:48:01 PM
Society is hurting itself. Are you trying to say that people would be less apathetic if Facebook wouldn't exist? You've got to be kidding me.

Hostility towards technology is hardly a solution to solve social issues and, if expressed on the internet, reeks of hypocrisy.

Obviously you don't understand my point. I am NOT targeting Facebook..

It was an example, a true one at that... But you'd not understand

Nyarly

And of course, arrogance is a good way to make a point clear.

Caeli

I don't think Facebook and Twitter, specifically, are hurting society.

Do we have people who obsess over them, log in every day, post every hour, and so on? Yes. Of course we do. But for every one person that does that, you have one person who doesn't have an account, one person who uses it only rarely, and another person who only uses it to keep in touch with friends or family who use Facebook a lot.

There are many benefits to using Facebook, and that is the truth. When you describe the extremists, you forget that they are often only a small percentage of users, who get 95% of the publicity in anecdotes or the media. While technology provides an easy example of idiocy (Tweeting about seeing someone being held at gunpoint, for example), it would not be the technology hurting society - only those who use those technologies irresponsibly.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Cherry Bloodrayne

Quote from: Nyarly on November 18, 2010, 03:59:19 PM
And of course, arrogance is a good way to make a point clear.

And you trollin' makes it that much more fun.
Fucking people take the internet too seriously, this is a good example right here.
You continue to argue, so shut the fuck up kthanxbai.

Noelle

Yeah, that kind of isn't necessary. Calm down.

Mithlomwen

That kind of thing isn't necessary to get your points across.  Keep it civil please. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Cherry Bloodrayne

Not unless this fag does the same thing.
He either needs to shut up, or I'll continue with these insults.

Trieste

Okay, first of all, stop the insults. Period.

Second of all, 'fag' is not a derogatory term, here, and if you continue to use it as such I will ban you myself. Like, five minutes ago.

We normally don't give public warnings like this, so you can feel special about that. Unfortunately, it's an undesirable form of  'special', so cut the crap and go roleplay, 'kay? Kay.