Gallows Green - A small town horror-mystery game. (Recruitment Open!)

Started by Vulnicura, August 09, 2019, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulnicura

Annnd another update. Locations are pretty much done, save for pictures. I'll be adding geographical landmarks tonight (because I'm a crazy person who goes full steam ahead when it comes to planning).

Work on NPCs, supernatural entities, and a few logistical concerns begins tomorrow. As of right now, I'm hoping that will all be done by the weekend and we can start things off.

Speaking of starting things off, I have a general idea for how things will start, but I'd love to have some feedback from those of you who have joined so far. As of right now, my general plan is to simply let everyone loose in the world to explore, get to know their characters, and get a feel for things. The overarching story will begin soon after with an event on the night of a local holiday, The Midnight March. If anyone has any ideas or plotlines they would like to incorporate, let me know!

MingMing

I advise instead of sandboxing everyone free, you start with an event that everyone shows up attending, focus upon initial interactions between the PCs.  Otherwise posts will just meander and stagnate and interest will die without direction.  Games require initial focus to begin with, the players require content to participate, they cannot *be* the content itself... not to begin with.
“I have not seen one who loves virtue as he loves sex”- Confucius

(If I don't know you, haven't communicated with you in PM's or through the Elliquiy Forums, don't just IM me out of the blue.  I will just close the window & ignore you.  Take the trouble to actually send me a greeting & talk with me in Elliquiy first!)

Vulnicura

Quote from: MingMing on August 17, 2019, 04:22:30 AM
I advise instead of sandboxing everyone free, you start with an event that everyone shows up attending, focus upon initial interactions between the PCs.  Otherwise posts will just meander and stagnate and interest will die without direction.  Games require initial focus to begin with, the players require content to participate, they cannot *be* the content itself... not to begin with.

That's a good point. Most tabletop campaigns I've ran in the past have been almost entirely sandbox/improvisation, so falling back on that is what I'm comfortable with... but I do have a general idea for the first 'event' and there really isn't much of a reason to delay it, especially since it will likely add a bit more focus in the beginning.

Also, update. NPCs and locations are done. I have (most) things planned save for a few minor details. Threads for the actual game will likely go up tonight/tomorrow.

Gypsy

You've done an impressive job on the worldbuilding.   I love the idea of the Hating Tree.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

KingKang

Yeah, really good stuff, man. I cant wait to talk to David Byrne.

I don't mind the free flow/improv element - but I get that some people might need a little more impetus/direction. It might get a little confusing playing scenes that some characters might not he in - but with the NPC list you've provided- I think it would be cool if everyone played a little of everything, if you follow me...

Vulnicura

Quote from: Gypsy on August 17, 2019, 02:36:16 PM
You've done an impressive job on the worldbuilding.   I love the idea of the Hating Tree.
Quote from: KingKang on August 17, 2019, 03:02:48 PM
Yeah, really good stuff, man. I cant wait to talk to David Byrne.

Thanks guys! I've put a lot of thought into it. I'm super excited to see how The Hating Tree gets implemented into things. And I've always thought David Byrne should have played some sort of role in Twin Peaks, so I guess his inclusion is just my way of of making it actually happen. :P

Quote from: KingKang on August 17, 2019, 03:02:48 PM
I don't mind the free flow/improv element - but I get that some people might need a little more impetus/direction. It might get a little confusing playing scenes that some characters might not he in - but with the NPC list you've provided- I think it would be cool if everyone played a little of everything, if you follow me...

Ideally, and if this all actually works out, I'd like for the game to take on a life of its own with everyone chasing their own plotlines, creating people and places to interact with, and building something that I think could be very special.Basically, I think it's inevitable that things will move towards a more freeform style as we delve deeper into Gallows Green and I get the hang of running this thing, but Ming and you both make an excellent point - as of right now, with this thing in its infancy, a bit more direction and less sandboxing might be for the best.

As for NPCs, everyone is welcome to play and introduce (almost) any NPC in whatever way they like. That being said, NPCs aren't mandatory at all. They're just there to add a bit more flavor and life to the game.

Oh. PS: An OOC Thread (including information for the start/first event) and a thread for character sheets will be up in just a bit. Since my time is a bit limited today, the first IC thread probably won't be up until morning. I'll get links posted here when they're ready. :)

Vulnicura

The Character Sheets and OOC threads are both up! More to be added to OOC tomorrow as well as our first IC thread. Go post your characters and talk amongst yourselves. I have a dinner I have to get to that I'm already running late for, so I doubt I'll be around much tonight.

Also, snap decision: put the game in Extreme instead. I don't anticipate (or particularly want) any super extreme kinks in the game, but given the horror genre and the potential for violence/gore, better safe than sorry.

Vulnicura

OOC thread has been updated with rules and details of our first IC thread.

Thread will be up in an hour or two after I get a bit more coffee in me. :P

Vonandi

Hello.

I've been working on and off on a deputy sheriff character but it seems the spots have been taken by NPCs. Is making that sort of character still possible or would it be better to change it?

Vulnicura

Quote from: Vonandi on August 18, 2019, 12:19:49 PM
Hello.

I've been working on and off on a deputy sheriff character but it seems the spots have been taken by NPCs. Is making that sort of character still possible or would it be better to change it?

Hey there! A spot as a deputy is still definitely available, though I'd rather save Sheriff and Chief Deputy for NPCs (for now at least). That being said, if you have any ideas that would conflict with the NPCs, feel free to PM me and let me know. :) With nobody being introduced yet, there's definitely time to remove NPCs to make way for a PC.

Vulnicura

Vulnicura

Recruitment thread updated to include a bit more information, such as rules and what we need.

As of right now, we could definitely use a few more characters to round out the cast. As always, feel free to reach out to me. :)

Mature Desires

Very interested in this idea, but I'm unsure what roles you're still looking to fill? Anything in particular?

Vulnicura

Quote from: Mature Desires on August 19, 2019, 09:51:21 AM
Very interested in this idea, but I'm unsure what roles you're still looking to fill? Anything in particular?

Hey! I'm glad you're interested! Pretty much any role that would make sense within the scope of a small town. I don't have any specific roles in mind. If you'd like, I'd be happy to PM you and bounce some ideas around. :)

Vonandi

Madeleine Black

Basic Information

Full Name:Madeleine Black
Nicknames:"Deputy" To most “Maddie” to friends.
Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual

Physical Description

Face Claim: Kristen Stewart
Height:5’ 8”
Weight:180 lbs
Eye Color:Hazel
Hair Color:Brown
Prominent Features or Distinguishing Marks:She has cleft scar across her jaw line and sports a farmers tan from her constant garden work.

General Physical Description:
An unassuming young woman that's rarely seen without a smile on her face, both on and off duty. Though the dark rings under her eyes betray a weariness whose origin one could only guess at.

Personality Description

Personality Traits: (Note: At least five traits)

• Friendly
  • Hard Working
  • Brave
  • Obsessive
  • Inflexible
  • Guarded

• Gardening
  • Amateur acting
  • Peach Tea
  • Her job

Dislikes:

• Excuses
  • Abusers
  • Stillness

Biography
Born and raised in the outskirts of Gallows Green, her Father worked in the town mine while her mother stayed at home. It's a time in her life she can barely remember - that is, the time before her father's accident. When she was twelve years old a section of mine collapsed and took her father with it. He lived, but he lost his leg, his right eye and most of the fingers on his left hand. He was compensated  for the accident but he was never the same afterwards. He began to grow more and more bitter. His leg never healed correctly and constantly bothered him. After a while be began to get physically and verbally abusive, that is when ever he wasn't on the nod in front of the TV off his pain killers. Then one day he left without warning, his plate still set and his dinner half eaten, as if he had rushed to leave. They found him dead a mile down the road, though no cause of death could be determined it was ruled as heart failure.
A year later her mother remarried, and though it took a long time Madeleine grew to see her step dad as her real father. She worked as a waitress for a while but as soon as she was old enough and with her step father's encouragement she started the process of becoming an officer of the law, in hopes she could prevent what Happened to her from happening to anyone else.

Notable Relationships (Note: This can include non-game NPCs)

• Other officers
She has a decent relationship with most of the people she works with but rarely spends any time with them outside work.
  • Her Mother and step-father
Additional Details After over a decade on the force she's only had to discharge her firearm once, but that was all it took. It's something no one seems to like to talk about, Madeleine least of all.

Vulnicura

Hey Vonandi! I feel like Madeleine would be a great fit. Feel free to post your character in the Character Sheets thread and I'll get a PM out to you after i get off work with a few things you should know.

JFD99

Hey :) I don't usually do modern-day RP but this sounds interesting. I haven't watched Twin Peaks or Stranger Things, but if it's a bit in the same vein as the early seasons of Supernatural or Grimm that could work for me.

mizah

Hey!! I'm completely interested in joining  ^-^

If you're still open, please let me know and I'll send you my character sheet

Vulnicura

Quote from: JFD99 on August 20, 2019, 02:52:04 PM
Hey :) I don't usually do modern-day RP but this sounds interesting. I haven't watched Twin Peaks or Stranger Things, but if it's a bit in the same vein as the early seasons of Supernatural or Grimm that could work for me.

Hey there! I've actually never watched Supernatural or Grimm, so I can't compare those. XD I can say, as far as the supernatural elements of the game goes, that there isn't much in the way out werewolves or vampires and the like. It's leans further towards surreal and cosmic horror, if that makes sense.
Quote from: mizah on August 20, 2019, 03:17:15 PM
Hey!! I'm completely interested in joining  ^-^

If you're still open, please let me know and I'll send you my character sheet

Hey there! Thanks for your interest. We are most definitely still open and accepting characters.

JFD99

Quote from: Vulnicura on August 20, 2019, 03:29:34 PM
Hey there! I've actually never watched Supernatural or Grimm, so I can't compare those. XD I can say, as far as the supernatural elements of the game goes, that there isn't much in the way out werewolves or vampires and the like. It's leans further towards surreal and cosmic horror, if that makes sense.

So less 'monster of the week' and more atmosphere, I gather. Sounds good to me! I'll put in a character sheet soon :)

JFD99

Here goes :

Name: Elbert Buckner
Ethinicity: Causasian
Sexuality: Heterosexual

Physical Description:
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown with gray
Facial Hair : Trimmed; salt and pepper
Height: 5'10
Body Build: slightly overweight
Additional Physical Notes:

A Middle-aged man, Elbert has salt and pepper hair and beard and a face that is visibly in progress of showing signs of age. Despite this, a certain youthful gaze can still be found in his baggy eyes.

Elbert dresses cleanly and soberly but his clothes are often outdated, making him stick out like a sore thumb in glamorous settings. He wears small, square glasses and is often seen with a cotton bucket hat on when sitting outside at the Cafe.

Personality:

Elbert was an adventurous and imaginative man in his youth and rarely turned down an opportunity to explore a new place or a new idea. The young novelist never seemed to run out of energy or inspiration.

Recently, he seems to have lost his fire. His last published book was years ago and his last bestseller years before that. Unable to find inspiration, Elbert lives comfortably off the royalties of his previous successes in semi-retirement and seems to spend most of his days brooding or hanging out at the The Timely Newsstand and Cafe, reading a newpaper, a book, or writing into a burgundy hardcover notebook.

Despite his apparent lack of motivation and jaded demeanor, Elbert longs for a new adventure, literary or otherwise.

• Black "spiked" coffee
  • Genre fiction
  • Taking walks
  • Younger and/or smart women
  • Symphonic music

Dislikes:

• Industry beer
  • Literary fiction
  • Driving
  • Literary critics
  • Electronic music

History:

Elbert was born and raised in Toronto from a family of teachers. As such, education was highly important in his family and he was encouraged to do well in school and later to pursue a higher education, which be did, obtaining a Master's degree in English literature and a degree in journalism. Enjoying quick success from a romantic adventure series titled "High heels and Fedoras”, Elbert became famous and wealthy at a relatively young age.

Over the next two decades, Elbert would publish dozens of novels and novellas in a variety of genres, win a number of prizes and cash in on a few movie deals, whether or not they ever got produced. At age 38, he would meet who he thought was the love of his life, a much younger woman by the name of Emily Morgan. Initially a fan of the writer, she would meet her idol at a Fantasy convention and the two would begin dating, getting married mere months later.

The newlyweds spent the next few years travelling around the world and enjoying a lavish lifestyle. Unfortunately, their bliss would be short-lived, as as Elbert’s inspiration began to dry out, his mood started to sour and their relationship began to degraded. Eventually, they split, and Elbert was stuck with a very costly divorce settlement that prompted him to sell most of his properties, including his Manhattan penthouse. Shortly thereafter, the writer moved to Gallows Green in hope of escaping from the glamorous life of NYC, the incessant interview requests, and perhaps find some inspiration and tranquility in this remote area of North Carolina.

Relationships:
Ex-wife: Emily Morgan
Mother: Daisy Buckner (nee Price)
Father: Graeme Buckner

Face Claim:

Bill Pullman

Vonandi

Thanks! I have a lot more info that ended up truncated due to my inability to word it in a way I found satisfactory but I'm willing to add more to bring it up to par if need be.

Looking forward to playing!

Vulnicura

Welcome aboard JFD99! I like Elbert; definitely gives me a bit of a Stephen King vibe.

Vonandi, I totally meant to PM you last night, but I got home from work exhausted. I promise I'll get a message to you sometime today!

mizah

Joy Fernandez

Basic Information

Full Name: Joy Fernandez
Nicknames: Joy
Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Hispanic
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual

Physical Description

Face Claim: Chiara Scelsi
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 130lb
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Prominent Features or Distinguishing Marks: Helix and Upper lobe piercing in left ear, small unicorn drawing tattoo in her right upper arm

General Physical Description: Her most prominent characteristic is her curly bushy hair, reaching past her shoulders almost covering half of her back with a wide volume making it look like a lion mane. She has a light tanned skin tone, no super model body (ironically), and fair body mass, not too skinny, not too chubby. She doesn’t have a great sense of fashion, having more an wide variety of options to wear, from floral pink dresses to a tank top rock-n-roll shirt and ripped shorts.

Personality Description

Personality Traits:

• Funny. It comes in a very whimsical way. Usually when she’s babbling and words stopped making sense as she talks.
  • Wild. She’s always up for any sort of adventure, doing unexpected things without really thinking of the consequences.
  • Dynamic. You always find her doing something to pass the time. Whether it is solving a puzzle to going hiking.
  • Stubborn. There is no way you can say no to her. Proving herself is something Joy doesn’t take lightly, no matter how difficult or challenging it could be.
  • Spontaneous. People have known her for being unpredictable, there is no way of knowing what she is thinking or plans on doing next.
  • Intelligent. Smart and good at learning new things from a wide variety of subjects.

• Photography
  • Cursing in Spanish (when needed)
  • French vanilla cappuccino
  • Outdoor activities
  • Purple

Dislikes:

• Rude people
  • Being lied to
  • Not being useful

Biography
Joy was born in Arizona and lived there with her parents until the age of 12, when they decided to separate and making Joy and her sister live with their mother in her childhood town, Gallows Green. Attracted by the mystery and eerie history of the town, she has made it a hobby to investigate and gather as much information of every event that has and will happen in this small town.
Now in college, she has kept doing her ongoing investigation, looking for answers and great opportunities in her life, no matter what will offer.

Notable Relationships (Note: This can include non-game NPCs)

• Karen Fernandez, Joy's mother, lawyer. She hasn't been a great influence to her daughters and because of this it has cause the young girls to distance from their mother, who would prefer working day and night than to spend time with her daughters. After divorcing Joy's father, Karen took the opportunity to start anew in the town she grew up, Gallows Green, but it didn’t do much a difference.
  • Marcus Miller, Joy's father. A well known business man in all of North America. He wasn’t much of a fan in taking care of a family and without any sort of explanation left his daughters at the care of their mother. He would sometimes call them, make sure they were ok, but never taking an opportunity to visit them.
  • Desiree, Joy's sister. At 17 she has become a pretty rebellious girl, only listening to her sister with who has a good relationship with. Having mainly been closer to her since she was born and looking up to her, they both can sometimes become inseparable.

JFD99

Quote from: Vulnicura on August 21, 2019, 08:00:02 AM
Welcome aboard JFD99! I like Elbert; definitely gives me a bit of a Stephen King vibe.

Glad you liked him! I thought the washed out, has been creator archetype would work well in that setting.