The Great Civil Unrest of the Mutants In Character.

Started by Batman4560, July 06, 2013, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demigod1945

Samuel carefully listened to the other boy's reply. Then turned and look at the wall, his mind seeing the logic behind Jake's statement. But he wasn't about to back down from the earbud situation. He turned back to the boy.
"You mean Cool Sassy Tree by Olive Ann burns, in which the plot follows the life of a 14-year-old boy named Will Tweedy, and explores themes such as religion, death, and social taboos?" he asked quickly and mechanically, remembering the book from when he first read it in 1998. "And my name is Samuel Ervin" he quickly added after hearing the boy ask him for his name.

Batman4560

NAME:Aaron Shaw
ROLE IN SCHOOL: Dean
TIME OF DAY: 12:30 PM
TAGGING: Teachers and Students

As the teachers and students filled the gym Aaron stood at a podium witch rested at the end of the gym between both sets of bleachers. It gave the perfect view of him. The podium itself was raised so that everyone would be on nearly the same eye level as he was and had a massive set of speakers on both sides to assure he was heard. Once the area was filled and he was sure that even those still standing outside could hear him he started his small speech. "Greetings faculty and Students, my name is Aaron Shaw, the Dean of this school. As I am sure many of you have noticed....I am not much older or younger than many of you. While founding this school I wanted to make sure you all had the best possible advantages I could offer you. To the students, if you have any problems be it homework, handling your powers or if you just want someone to talk to, my door is open at all times of the day and night. I want you to feel like you can trust me. To the teachers, treat your students with respect and understanding, offer your help to them and be leaders...but understand that the students live here and as such they should feel like they are at home unless in your classroom. So if you see a student with ear buds in while moving around the halls. That is no reason to stop the student and berate them. Let them enjoy the stay, their families have payed a lot of money to make sure they have the best while at this school. Students, the second and third floor are all rooms for you, enjoy them. The gym's, the rec. Rooms, the dorms and everything else. The classes are at the ground level floor, the teachers dorms are spread out among the first and fourth floor and please the basement is off limits unless a teacher asks you to be there. That is all, your classes start at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning, the rest of the day is yours please use the time wisely. Have a good one." After speaking he took a few steps down the podium and walked out the front doors and waited in the main lobby to greet any late comer to the school.

Kepesk

Jake looked at Samuel, astounded. Then, after his book description, "Hey, spoilers!"
Then shook his head, "Waitaminute, you mean Samuel Ervin the Physics Instructor?!?"
Then, upon hearing Dean Shaw begin speaking, he ended, "It sounds like they're starting. We better get in there..."
One swallow does not a summer make
~ Aristotle
My ons and offs     My art gallery here on Elliquiy

Kepesk

NAME: Jake Crow
ROLE IN SCHOOL: Student w/earbuds
TIME OF DAY: 12:30pm
TAGGING: Samuel Ervin

During Shaw's speech, at "earbuds", Jake throws an exaggerated look directly at Mr. Ervin, holds up an earbud in each hand, and plugs them into his ears with a flourish...
...Then pulls them back out again, smiling and shaking his head as if to say, "I'm just funnin' ya."  :P
~ Aristotle

Cascalence

NAME:  Karen Schmidt
ROLE IN SCHOOL:  English Teacher
TIME OF DAY:  Afternoonish
TAGGING:  None presently

Karen had managed to find the gymnasium by following the flow of moving bodies.  She sat and listened quietly to the speech the Dean gave, smiling a bit.  He seemed like a truly kind man.  And that was good quality for the leader of such a school as this.  Listening as he went about the speech, she thought it curious that he mentioned earbuds...and she thought to Jake for a moment, before tucking him back into the corners of her mind and continuing to listen.  Finally, the speech was done and Aaron left the podium.  Students began to talk once again as they left the gymnasium and Karen slowly followed the flow out.  Once outside, she looked up at the sky, just staring at the beautiful day for a long moment...and then looking down.  She didn't have time for this.  She had much work to complete before the next day.  With that thought in mind, she began to walk back into the main building, turning here and there as she followed the corridors back toward her suite.
Casca's O/O's--A work in progress

Demigod1945

As Shaw's speech entered the earbud phase, he noticed jake put his earbuds in, and then takes them out with a grin on his face. Samuel's face was impassive, which causes Jake to say that he was just kidding. Either way Samuel was somewhat annoyed, but content at the same time. He looked over at Jacob and said "You may be able to do that here, but remember you have my class first thing tomorrow." with a warning tone. He then returned to Shaw's speech. Once it was over he bid Jacob farewell and returned to his quarters. "Being a teacher seemed to be quite fun" he thought with a smile.

Kepesk

ROLE IN SCHOOL: Student
TIME OF DAY: Noon-thirty and change
TAGGING: Samuel Ervin

Well, the comment about having his class tomorrow quelled Jake's jovial demeanor and left his mouth gaping at the potential consequences of what he had just done. Jake got up off the bleacher and habitually started to put his earbuds back in...but then caught himself, thought better of it, and put them back away. He slowly made his way out of the gym, just falling in line with the flood of students and letting them take him where they may.
Once outside, he thought he might head to his room to unpack... But then noticing how nice of a day it was, he decided to remain outside. Unpacking could wait. He found a spot under a nice, shady tree, looked around to make sure Mr. Ervin wasn't looking, then placed his earbuds back in and began to listen to Oliver's story...
~ Aristotle

Cascalence

TIME OF DAY:  Heading into early evening

Karen reached her suite and looked around it.  Man, she wanted a cup of tea.  ...Maybe later that evening, when she came back from dinner, she'd stop by those kitchens in the basement first and fix herself a kettle of hot tea to bring back to her room, so she could enjoy it and relax with her work before the next day.  And tomorrow sometime after classes, she would make a run into town and get a mini fridge to store caffeinated beverages in.  For now, though, she would do without, she decided.
Moving to the sofa, she stared at her lesson plan, reviewing it.  It took a good fifteen minutes, but after that, she got back into the flow of the plan, finishing up for the three weeks she wanted to start with.  She'd start working on a week each day until she had the semester plan fully completed.  Smiling as she finished up the first three weeks, she moved and started outlining the syllabus and tentative schedule and reading list for the students for the next day.
By the time she finished and was ready to type up the syllabus and like in the library, the light from outside had dimmed to the early stages of the setting sun.  Karen looked at the windows and sighed, standing and stretching.  Her stomach growled as she stretched and she blinked, flushing lightly.  Seemed it was dinner time.  With a sigh, she grabbed up the papers she needed to type from and put them in an empty folder, figuring she would type them up after dinner and print the copies she needed before she came back and reviewed student files for the remainder of the evening.
Folder in hand, she walked from the room, locking the door behind her as always, and headed for the cafeteria once more.

Kepesk

TIME OF DAY: Early Evening
TAGGING: (n/a)

Will Tweedy's story started out nice enough...but Mr. Ervin's `cliff notes' didn't mention anything about him being chased by baby chicks, did it...?
Jake realized he had dozed-off. "`Must be what they mean by `jet-lagged'," he thought.
He got up, did a couple of tai chi moves that could be mistaken as stretches, and started heading back in to the school. "Another smoothie," Jake thought. "Another smoothie'll clear these cobwebs... And then I'll head to a nice quiet place where there's least likely to be other students on orientation day... The Library.”
~ Aristotle

Cascalence

TIME OF DAY:  Heading into early evening

Reaching the cafeteria safely, Karen looked about, biting her lower lip.  After a moment, she ducked her head down and headed for the line.  She looked about and chewed her lower lip over the choices, before settling on the casserole they were offering.  Taking her plate when it was offered, she thanked the woman that had prepared it and found an empty table, sighing softly as she sat down.  As she ate, she went over the syllabus once more, making sure she knew how she wanted to type it up.
It didn't take long for her to eat.  She'd been hungrier than she'd thought, and her food was gone, almost in the blink of an eye.  In fact, she was surprised when she went for an another bite, only for her fork to stab an empty plate.  Pulling stormy hues from the paper, she stared at her plate for a moment before looking around with a flush, hoping no one had noticed how she'd distractedly eaten so quickly.  Confirming that no one had noticed, she closed up her folder and stood, taking her tray to the deposit line and setting it down.  She looked around the room once more, then left the cafeteria.  ...She was pretty sure she knew where the library was, as she'd studied the building's map that morning.  It was to the right of the cafeteria, she believed.  With that, she began making her way, holding her folder close.

Kepesk

ROLE IN SCHOOL: Earbud Wizard
TAGGING: (n/a)

Jake wandered around the halls a bit, listening to his speed-metal again (to wake himself up of course...) and sucking on the straw of his smoothie. Eventually, he found his way to the Library. As expected, it was virtually void of students. It immediately got quieter when he entered, and he took a deep breath, enjoying the silence. With the excitement of the day, his head had become more than a little muddled than what he’s used to, and he knew all too well what happens when he didn’t keep his head clear...
He walked up to one of the catalog terminals and looked up where Cool Sassy Tree would be located, (Ohhh... Olive Ann Burns...!) and plucked it off the shelf.
He found a nice empty cluster of sofas in a far corner with large windows that stretched up to the vaulted ceiling, plopped down in one, and cracked open the book.
~ Aristotle

Cascalence

TIME OF DAY:  Early evening
TAGGING:  Jake Crow

Cracking open the door to the library, Karen's eyes fluttered shut and she took a deep breath.  It smelled of books...paper and binding glues....  One of her favorite smells, beside the scent of calla lilies.  Smiling, she opened her eyes back up and stepped in, quietly closing the door behind her.  She looked around the hushed silence of the library and blinked as she spotted, in the far corner of the library, a student.  She tilted her head as she recognized Jake, busy with a book.  Shifting her folder a bit, she stared curiously for a moment, but then turned, her eyes seeking out the computers.  On the opposite side from Jake there stood four terminals, all void of usage at the moment.  She gave a tiny smile and headed toward one, sitting down and beginning to navigate it to a document creation program.  Soon, the quiet sound of clacking keys filled the air as she worked on the syllabus and other such paperwork for her dear students.

Kepesk

ROLE IN SCHOOL: Rain God
TAGGING: Karen Schmidt

Jake was lost in the book, his music, and the taste of his smoothie. (Mostly just the straw.) He hadn't even noticed the arrival of another person nearby.
Eventually he looked up, pulled out his earbuds, glanced around, and noticed the light pattering of sprinkling raindrops on the panes of glass behind him and...the English Instructor at one of the computer terminals nearby!
Without thinking, he said aloud, "Mrs!-- Er..." Then, whispering for no one's sake but their own as there was no one else present. "Miss Schmidt..."
"Did I fall asleep again...?" he thought.
~ Aristotle

Cascalence

TAGGING:  Jake Crow

As the rain had begun some few moments earlier, Karen had looked up, staring at the darkened sky.  She watched for just a moment, thinking.  She liked the rain, but only so long as she had an umbrella to stay dry with.  Being wet made her...defenseless.  It was a shame.  Storms were so lovely.  Sighing softly, she resumed work.
She was just getting really focused back into it when Jake called out to her.  She jumped, her eyes wide, and slowly turned to look at him, stormy eyes almost owlish in appearance from their width.  She flushed after a second, relaxing and giving a small smile.  "Hello, Jake, dear," she spoke quietly.  She stood after quickly saving her progress and walked over.  "Did you need something?" she asked with a warm smile.

Kepesk

TAGGING: Karen Schmidt

Jake cringed and smiled nervously when he realized he had inadvertently startled Miss Schmidt. Then, not realizing what he was doing, he began recoiling into the sofa he was sitting in, mouth agape, when she stood and began walking over to him.
He recomposed himself, adjusted on the sofa, smiled, and whispered, "Ah, no... Just..." He held up the Cool Sassy Tree book and smiled stiffly.
~ Aristotle

Batman4560

NAME:Aaron Shaw
ROLE IN SCHOOL: Dean
TIME OF DAY: early evening
TAGGING: Teachers and Students

Shaw spent most of the afternoon directing traffic and helping to make sure that the students were informed of where the classes were and where they could find the supplies needed for the classes they had. After the sun had started to set and the rain picked up Aaron roamed the halls until he saw the strangest thing...two people in the library before school had even started yet. He moved in and saw Jake and Karen conversing among themselves. Walking up to the pair he waved and extended his hand to Jake. "Mr. Crow, I don't believe we have met yet. I am Aaron Shaw. Its a pleasure to meet you. Are you having trouble with anything?"

Cascalence

TAGGING:  Jake Crow and Aaron Shaw

Karen halted almost a foot away as she noticed Jake seeming to recoil from her, but still kept a warm smile on her face.  She watched him as he raised the book and blinked, her eyes scanning over the title.  She looked back at Jake with an encouraging smile.  "Ah, so you decided to get a head start.  That's perfectly alright!  Did you have any questions?" she asked.
She then looked up as Mr. Shaw was suddenly there, about jumping.  She hadn't noticed his entrance, caught up in addressing her student.  Her stormy eyes moved from Jake to Mr. Shaw and she watched with quiet interest as he interacted with the student calmly and with such confidence.  It was good to see out of the Dean.

Demigod1945

NAME: Samuel Ervin
ROLE IN SCHOOL: Physics teacher
TIME OF DAY: Early evening
TAGGING: Working
For the next several hours after the assembly, Samuel sat on his couch preparing his student lessons, day by day, week by week, month by month. Eventually he had the whole year planned out and ready. It only took two hours to do it. He then moved on to reviewing his student profiles again, from the beginning. When he cam upon Jake's file, he read it very carefully to learn all he could. "DarkForce Generation and Manipulation?" He read on, it seems that Jake like to meditate every morning....if he can? "This could prove useful" he thought aloud. Samuel wasn't the type for revenge or petty grudges, but he did feel it necessary to show Mr. Crow exactly what he was capable of. Noticing the time, Samuel stack his folders neatly on his desk, and began to prepare himself for bed.

EndofDivine

NAME: Jessica Reynolds
TIME OF DAY: Noon-Early Evening
TAGGING: Catching up @.@

Jessica stared in disbelief at the man in front of her. She didn't expect Shaw to be the very first person she'd run into and she definitely didn't expect him to be as young as he was. People that start private schools are supposed to be old and stuck up with their noses shoved into the air...not guys in their 20s. She follows his outstretched arm as he points out her new room and only gives a quiet nod to show she understands.

As Mr. Shaw prepares to walk off, Jessica manages a quick "Thank you" before turning back to her suitcase and making her way toward her new room. She spends several minutes dragging her oversized suitcase up the stairs, inwardly wishing that she had been blessed with an ability that was more practical. Her dorm wasn't much, especially if she was going to have to share the space with someone else. She pulled her stuff into the room, setting her backpack down on  the bed and inwardly claiming the right side of the room to be her's. She hoisted her suitcase onto the bed as well, preparing to unpack before being interrupted by an announcement. She was half tempted to just ignore it so she could get settled in and rest. Still, it might be something important.

It wasn't too hard to find the assembly as everyone flocked down the halls toward a single location. Did all these people really have abilities like her? She suspiciously eyed a few of the other teenagers that come close to her, inwardly wondering what they're capable of and whether or not they're dangerous. She didn't like the idea of being surrounded by these people...there was far too much about them she didn't understand.

Jessica found a sparsely populated area up front. Part of her wanted to mix in with the others and make new friends but her other half kept telling her that she didn't belong here and her father would arrive any day to take her away from all this. She gave her attention to Mr. Shaw as he headed toward his podium and made his introduction to the school. Fairly boring routine stuff, though the part about the basement certainly made her perk up a bit. Something about being told not do something made her want to do it even more. She made a mental note to herself to sneak into the basement later and see what's so "off limits" about it.

After the assembly, Jessica waited patiently as the rest of the crowd funneled out of the gym before heading back to her room. She told herself she'd get unpacked before investigating the basement but found herself growing more and more anxious as the minutes passed by. "Just a peek wouldn't hurt anything, right?" Jessica smiled slyly to herself and zipped up her nearly emptied suitcase.

Jessica quietly made her way to the stairs, her eyes darting around and making her look terribly suspicious. She climbed down the steps as quickly as her feet could carry her before getting to the chained off part of the staircase that led into the basement. She smiled to herself, ducking under the chain and ignoring the warning posted on the sign. Unfortunately, she found the door at the bottom of the stairwell to be quite locked. She gave the door a frustrated kick and started thinking to herself. "One of the teachers must have a key, right? I could totally take it from one of them and bring it back before they even noticed." The thought brought another smile to her face. Her ability might not be practical but it sure made getting into trouble a lot easier.

Kepesk

TAGGING: Aaron Shaw, Karen Schmidt, Jessica Reynolds

At Mr. Shaw's approach, Jake stood up to shake his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, sir. No, no trouble at all, sir. But can you believe this Miss Schmidt...?" He held up his the copy of Cold Sassy Tree. “She's already having me start-in on reading this book and the semester hasn't even started yet! You got yourself a real slave-driver in this one, Mr. Shaw, sir!"
Then, getting up to leave, Jake added, "Welp, I better get started if I wanna catch-up on this book before tomorrow's class! It was a pleasure meeting you both!" He started out of the Library, but turned back on his way out, not breaking stride, to smile and wave at Miss Schmidt as if to say, "You're welcome!"

Upon exiting the Library, Jake put his headphones back on. Smiling at himself for the way he usurped his interaction with the Dean and English Instructor, he went back to wandering the halls for a bit.
He found himself in some of the more remote locations of the school, which he appreciated, because they were quieter. He came upon something that should have struck him as odd, but didn't at first. It went something to the effect of: "Ah, that must be the mysterious basement Mr. Shaw referred to as off-limits. Oh, another student. Huh, she’s cute. ...Waitaminute." Then, before Jake realized that he had switched-off his internal monologue, he half-pointed to her and blurted out, "What're you doing at the basement?"
~ Aristotle

Demigod1945

TAGGING: Checking on voices outside his dorm
    "I could very well ask you the same question Jacob." Samuel replied in cold tone from behind the student. He had just about gone to bed, when he heard these students outside, and he felt they were somewhat loud. So he went outside to investigate. He looked over at the blond girl standing away by the basement entrance, Jessica wasn't it? Yes he had her 4th period. "Snooping around are we?" He stated with a hint of a grin. But that grin didn't meet his eyes.

Kepesk

TAGGING: Jessica Reynolds, Samuel Ervin

Jake suddenly sensed someone coming up behind him and cringed when he heard the voice of Mr. Ervin.
“Mr. Ervin…! I’m so glad you’re here! I was just about to head to the basement, when this nice girl (I’m sorry, I didn’t get your name…) was just informing me that the basement is off-limits…! Silly me! She says Mr. Shaw announced it during the assembly and everything.” Holding up his earbuds, Jake grimaced. “Musta had my earbuds in or something. But we’re gonna get outta here right now, sir!”
Jake gently grabbed the girl by the arm and whisked her away, whispering in her ear, “I know how we can get in there…

~ Aristotle

Demigod1945

TAGGING: Students
   Now not much truly annoyed Samuel, but nothing angered him more than being brushed off by two students, especially ones who were trying to get into restricted areas. He quickly grabbed Jake's arm and held it firm with an iron grip on the boys nerve cluster on his arm.
"Now wait one moment, you're not going anywhere, I know a lyer when I hear one Mr.Crow. In case you don't remember, you never had you earbuds in the whole assembly, nor after it ended. In fact you were staring with rapt attention." He calmly stood and waited for the teen's reply.

Cascalence

TAGGING:  Jake Crow (exiting) and Aaron Shaw

Karen listened as Jake interacted with Aaron and her jaw dropped, her eyes wide as she stared after the teen as he all but skipped around them and ran out.  Her left eye gave a twitch as she stared, still gaping.  He'd...really just thrown her under the bus like that.  After a second, she became aware of Mr. Shaw once more and her mouth snapped shut as she flushed a scarlet hue.  "I, uhm," she started, licking her lips.  What did she say here?  Accuse Jake of lying?  ...How childish would that be?  But to have his lie accepted by the Dean could be potentially damaging to her reputation with the man!  Flustered and frustrated, she stood there for a long silent moment before gathering herself up.  "Well, I suppose I shouldn't push my students so hard, should I?" she said with a weak smile, her eyes flitting back to the computer where her documents were awaiting completion.

EndofDivine

NAME:  Jessica Reynolds
ROLE IN SCHOOL:  Student
TAGGING:  Jake Crow and Samuel Ervin

Jessica gasped and straightened up when she heard the voice from behind her. She relaxed slightly when she realized it was another student though his comment about her being cute left an uncertain look on her face as she studied him. She starts to reply "I wasn't-" but stops suddenly at the sound of another person descending down toward them. The sight of what would appear be another student makes her roll her eyes as she thinks to herself, "How many people are going to come down here?" Her eyebrow arches up when the other teenager begins scolding them and she looks genuinely confused when the guy with the earbuds calls the other teenager "Mr. Ervin". Was he a teacher? The sudden realization of what was happening makes her eyes go wide, especially when the boy grabs her arm and starts trying to make his exit.

Her heart jumps when Mr. Ervin stops the pair from leaving. She really didn't want to get in trouble before school even started, especially for something as dumb as being curious about the basement. In a panic, she pulls her arm free and seemingly disappears, at least as far as Mr. Ervin can tell. To the other boy, she's simply rushing away up the stairs.

She doesn't get far, however. After making it up the first flight of the stairs, she doubles over and clutches at her head. She grits her teeth, a few pained grunts escaping from her as she nearly screams, "What the hell is wrong with him?!" The sheer amount of information flooding her mind from her link with the young teacher was unlike anything she'd ever experienced. She ends her link with him without thinking of the consequences and appears at the top of the stairs just as quickly as she had vanished, breathing heavily and holding her head in both hands.