Religulous

Started by Mathim, September 26, 2009, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I know this movie isn't 'new' but I just recently downloaded and watched it, and I thought it was hilarious. I mean, Bill Maher did come across as kind of a jerk during the movie, even to people he agreed with or who were on his side, but the message he was getting at really spoke to me. Has anyone else seen this movie? Did you like it? Love it? Hate it? Maybe so much so that you wanted to do what most of the people in it wanted to do, and kill him?

He presented his argument so articulately and the people who disagreed with him just looked like such jackasses, it was astounding they consented to be filmed at all. He basically exposed them as liars and thieves (for the most part), and just total idiots for those who weren't actively hurting people.

It makes me want to start an Atheists club at school, or at least something to that effect (if I had the time to devote to that, which I don't), how about the rest of you?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

The Overlord

Maher has an acidic approach, he’s first and foremost a comedian, but he was not alone; a fair number of the religulous that he interviewed were jerks.

"I'm gonna ride into heaven, on a white horse...!"

What a damned fruitcake.

I agree he did a nice job of debunking religion in general, and I think the ending made the strongest point; if we blow the world up, it will be because of religulous fruitcakism. The irony will be all of them blowing each other straight to Hell, when they're utterly convinced they're going the other direction.

I can't see any sensible supreme being rewarding chronic stupidity.

OneOfAKiind

I have to say that I think this is unbelievable.

Yes, there are people out there with silly beliefs. That God is going to come and kill Satan and destroy evil for good or that they're the second coming of Christ, talking snakes etc. I actually just had a conversation tonight about religion in general...

But this movie...

It's unnecessary. Everyone has their beliefs, is it really that important to go out and do this to people? People should be allowed to have their beliefs and not have to be mocked for them. Why is it necessary to degrade people and tear apart what they believe in? I know that people like to push their religion on other people, but I completely disagree with this movie. If I want to believe in something "ridiculous" why can't I? You may think it's "ridiculous" but I don't, and they obviously don't either. It's just another movie that makes me sick to my stomach.
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

The Overlord

Quote from: OneOfAKiind on September 26, 2009, 11:27:48 PM

It's unnecessary. Everyone has their beliefs, is it really that important to go out and do this to people? People should be allowed to have their beliefs and not have to be mocked for them. Why is it necessary to degrade people and tear apart what they believe in? I know that people like to push their religion on other people, but I completely disagree with this movie. If I want to believe in something "ridiculous" why can't I? You may think it's "ridiculous" but I don't, and they obviously don't either. It's just another movie that makes me sick to my stomach.

OK, by that line of thought, a LOT of stuff should be banned.

Way I see it, we have a lot of gamers, and sci-fi-fantasy fans here. Some very derogatory language goes toward this, suck as geek and also the ever-famous nerd, which I am referring to as the other N-word.

Yet popular media does its share of mocking the mindset.

If we have to ban mockery of religion, then we must ban mockery of everything.

However, I appreciate that the movie was irreverent, but I agree it went overboard at times in its mockery. One can do plenty to disprove religion without mockery. Religion is often good at disproving itself.

But if you weed all that out, and again I reiterate Maher is a comic by trade, he makes some fundamental points in the course of the film.

Silk

Quote from: OneOfAKiind on September 26, 2009, 11:27:48 PM
I have to say that I think this is unbelievable.

Yes, there are people out there with silly beliefs. That God is going to come and kill Satan and destroy evil for good or that they're the second coming of Christ, talking snakes etc. I actually just had a conversation tonight about religion in general...

But this movie...

When I stop being told that I'm going to burn in hell because I don't beleive in their Sky daddy then I'll start caring what people say to them in return. If you don't want people mocking you then don't mock others for theirs.

The Overlord

Quote from: Silk on September 27, 2009, 05:18:30 AM
When I stop being told that I'm going to burn in hell because I don't beleive in their Sky daddy then I'll start caring what people say to them in return.

OMG shit...  :-)

*writes that down for later reference*

HairyHeretic

A simpler one is "It's your God, their your rules, YOU go burn in hell."
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Overlord

Actually, as an agnostic, I am going to the hereafter with no expectations, other than the hope that there IS a (sane) hereafter to go to.

The batshit loco Christian right…NOTHING is going to be more priceless than the collective look on their faces should they arrive on the other side and find that it’s not quite what they’ve been told and expecting.

And that appends my hereafter wishlist…I would very much love to be there with a camera when it goes down….that’s gonna be a golden Kodak moment.  8-)

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Mathim

I loved how at the end he's like, "For those who are only moderately religious, take a look in the mirror and see that the solace and comfort religion gives you comes at a terrible price." And it's totally true. For every person religion brings hope and happiness to, it brings horror and death to another.

And most of the people in it are convinced they're doing the right thing when they obviously haven't even read the bible, otherwise they'd know that passage, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven." I mean, can these fat, rich politicians like that senator in the movie, and George Bush, honestly believe that when they die, the person at the pearly gates isn't going to say, "Well, the rules were all there in black and white, didn't you think that reading the bible might have been your first clue that you weren't living the way God wanted you to?"
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Serephino

I kind of liked it.  He did go a bit far in some parts, but I guess everyone is entitled to believe what they want to.  He did raise some good questions though.  He voiced some of the same thoughts I've had many times. 

I'm not Christian, but rather Pagan.  He didn't cover that, but it would've taken too long anyway.  I really don't think any religion is bad as long as it isn't taken too far.  And Overlord, I'm with you on your sentiments.  If I'm right, the hardcore Christians are in for a nasty shock, and what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall....

The Overlord

Quote from: Mathim on September 27, 2009, 12:28:08 PM

And most of the people in it are convinced they're doing the right thing when they obviously haven't even read the bible, otherwise they'd know that passage, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven." I mean, can these fat, rich politicians like that senator in the movie, and George Bush, honestly believe that when they die, the person at the pearly gates isn't going to say, "Well, the rules were all there in black and white, didn't you think that reading the bible might have been your first clue that you weren't living the way God wanted you to?"

Bearing in mind of course that the bible is still only one point of view on the subject, as much as its subscribers would have you believe otherwise.

RubySlippers

Not if your a devout Christian there is Jesus Christ and the Bible or your going to Hell, unless you never heard about the good message than your end place is up to God.

(If your a devout Christian ,in other words, there are no other points of view.)

The Overlord

Once again, an opinion. Christians go to thier graves convinced they know what's coming.

Cold hard fact is faith isn't knowing, it's believing. Apples and oranges...they don't know. No one does, so no point in keeping up the charade.

RubySlippers

Quote from: The Overlord on September 28, 2009, 06:47:05 AM
Once again, an opinion. Christians go to thier graves convinced they know what's coming.

Cold hard fact is faith isn't knowing, it's believing. Apples and oranges...they don't know. No one does, so no point in keeping up the charade.

Its not I support that position I stated its just what any believer in a faith will say if rather fundamentalist, so there is not any grey area with them.

Oniya

Personally, I believe you end up where-ever you truly believe you'll end up.  Valhalla, Nirvana, Happy Hunting Grounds - even just going gently into that dark night.  At the last, your beliefs in regards to how you lived your life are what's important.  I once confused the door-to-door Baptists by saying 'I have every anticipation of a favorable afterlife.'

No, I'm not going to Heaven - I'd be bored stiff.  But I'm not burning in Hell either.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OneOfAKiind

Quote from: The Overlord on September 28, 2009, 06:47:05 AM

What is so wrong with having a little faith? It gives my dying mother at least a little comfort to think that she'll see her family again after death. I don't know what I believe, but I would LOVE to believe that if she's taken from me too soon by this stupid illness that I will be with her again someday. and I'm pretty sure my mother has done nothing to anyone, so why begrudge her this belief?

Quote"For those who are only moderately religious, take a look in the mirror and see that the solace and comfort religion gives you comes at a terrible price." And it's totally true. For every person religion brings hope and happiness to, it brings horror and death to another.

I don't understand this statement.
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

Raveled

Just jumping in here.  I saw the movie on DVD and loved it.  Bill Maher was incredibly funny from start to end.  The part I loved most was where they were filming in a mosque.  The interviewee starts talking about how Christians and Jews are evil and can't have any place in the world and can never enter his holy places... While signs pointing out "Christian" and "Jew" start appearing over the production team's heads.

Yes, he only interviewed the freaks.  Yes, he edited to put himself in a good light.  Of course he did.  Ben Stien did the same thing to evolution in Expelled.  I don't expect either to give a fair and balanced view of things.  Wouldn't be to their purpose to do so.  As someone who's utterly indifferent to the entire argument of God's existence, I just watched it for the laughs.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Will

Eh... Bill Maher strikes me as the kind of guy who's hilarious if you agree with him, and exasperatingly smug if you don't.  That seems like just about the last thing we need.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Lady Haven

Bill Maher is a comedian, its his job to poke fun at whatever life has put in front of him. That said, I find him funny. But not everyone will. Beliefs, Faith the Bible, God, Jesus, the Holy Ghost or Spirit.... These are things that most of us have been raised on. What one religion find ok another may not. I don't consider myself a bad person because I am not a certain or believe a certain way. I live my life the way I think will make me happy. And if there is a God then I hope he will take a look at my heart to see me. We all do in our own way...
If it makes someone happy to believe that there is an all powerful being that created the earth in 7 days.. I say let them. But please don't try and force me to live a certain way because you think I am wrong. "Freedom of Religion" isn't it wonderful ..
Lady Haven's ONs & OFFs Page
Life is like a puzzle, were all little pieces trying to fit in.

The Overlord

Quote from: Silk on September 28, 2009, 07:40:20 AM
Instruction Manual for Life [cc]

Beautiful.

Quote from: Oniya on September 28, 2009, 11:05:21 AM
No, I'm not going to Heaven - I'd be bored stiff. 

That's because the classical depictions of heaven are classically inane and unsophisticated. If there is any dimension beyond that offers some form of 'reward', clearly it has to be something more than the definitions out there.

I recall a conversation with my parents years back regarding heaven and hell, they were, sadly, just repeating the same tired dogma. Not sure what my dad would say today, as he's gotten the answer to what's out there just over nine years ago, and my mother loosened up and widened her view, a fair degree due to her two profoundly thinking sons I would say.

This notion that say, hypothetically, we go to heaven but not all our friends or family make it. Some go the other way, but yet, so the story goes, we won't be moping around upstairs...we'll be happy regardless.

...sounds like mind control to me.

Quote from: OneOfAKiind on September 28, 2009, 01:48:53 PM
What is so wrong with having a little faith? It gives my dying mother at least a little comfort to think that she'll see her family again after death. I don't know what I believe, but I would LOVE to believe that if she's taken from me too soon by this stupid illness that I will be with her again someday. and I'm pretty sure my mother has done nothing to anyone, so why begrudge her this belief?

I don't understand this statement.

Read my post again. I have no expectations on what lies beyond, only the great hope that something does, and this implies that we'll see other there too that have since passed on. If I go somewhere, certainly it follows that others do as well, I have no reason to suspect I occupy a privileged position in the universe…an all-too-common mistake by the religulous.

Just don't build your hopes on the expectations and confidence that you know what's coming, because you do not.

Will

I do understand that Bill Maher is a comedian, but he really does put himself out there as more than that.  All I'm saying is that movies like these, and people like Bill Maher, only exacerbate the problem of our polarized culture.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Revolverman

I have no idea what waits for me after death.

and that's awesome. Its the one thing that will NEVER be spoiled by anyone.

Oniya

Quote from: Oniya on September 28, 2009, 11:05:21 AM
No, I'm not going to Heaven - I'd be bored stiff.  But I'm not burning in Hell either.

Quote from: The Overlord on September 28, 2009, 06:03:31 PM
That's because the classical depictions of heaven are classically inane and unsophisticated. If there is any dimension beyond that offers some form of 'reward', clearly it has to be something more than the definitions out there.

I should have been more specific.  I'm not going to their version of Heaven or Hell.   ::)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17