Explosions Rock the Boston Marathon

Started by ShadowFox89, April 15, 2013, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Officials are stating the fire is merely coincidental.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ephiral

JFK library is not connected. Third device was at the Mandarin, just a bit to the right of the "Race Route" marker on that map on the lower side of the street. Fourth, according to at least one report, was at St. James and Trinity, a couple of blocks from the first and not on the route at all.

Blythe

Good to know. Thank you both for the info. I knew about the Mandarin and the one at St. James and Trinity; I was bothered about the JFK Library fire because I'd seen conflicting new reports about whether or not it was connected.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Blythe on April 15, 2013, 07:37:37 PMDoes anyone have access to any sources about that fire?

Nothing direct, but everything that I've seen claims JFK Library to have reported that the fire was unrelated.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Chris Brady

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 15, 2013, 05:21:55 PM
Everyone in the country is going to overreact again lets put this in perspective we have over 300 million citizens and the impact in lost lives currently is under five and around fifty more were wounded. Its a blip on the screen and our security forces found at least one bomb and disarmed it. Its just not a big deal really but the bomb search was clearly not good before the event they had gaps.

That said I never sweat the things I have no control over things just happen some good and some bad in the world I suspect its domestic terrorism its Patriot's Day and Tax Day so it would be reasonable to assume.

Stalin said it best:

"1 death is a tragedy and 1 million is a statistic."
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Beguile's Mistress

Boston Herald .com article updated 11:20 pm

Says it was either a fire or an incendiary device.

AllieCat

Having a hard time sleeping tonight.. been seeing the explosion and the terror too much.. (I've been in that area too much).

Missy

I haven't really reacted very strongly personally. At least not the way I remember 9/11.

I was actually in the breakroom when it came on the news this afternoon at about six, si I got to see the President's address about it and I think he said it well. Basically let the authorities do their job and well find out who did it soon enough.

I don't always agree with the President, but I respected him for that today, even if it is really just his job.

Scribbles

Am I imagining things, or has there been a sudden surge of senseless violence over the last year?

Condolences to the families affected...
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Scribbles on April 16, 2013, 05:51:39 AM
Am I imagining things, or has there been a sudden surge of senseless violence over the last year?

Condolences to the families affected...

Sadly, I think you are imagining things. The senseless violence is constant. We just have a short attention span for it and tend to forget each incident as it drops out of the news cycle.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Mithlomwen

My heart and prayers go out to all of the victims and their families.....as well as the entire city of Boston.   :'(

One thing I wish though, when events like this happen, that the media would not broadcast stuff about it 24/7.  Report that it happened, let everyone know the basics, and then shut up about it.  Don't speculate, don't assume, DON'T give the people responsible the satisfaction of seeing the destruction and carnage they've caused plastered on every news media available.  DON'T replay the events over and over.....don't continually show pictures of the victims in what is probably the most horrifying moment of their lives. 

/rant over

(sorry, needed to get that off of my chest)
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Empyrean

Totally agree with you Mith. Letting us know what happened is news, but we don't need six hours of replays with no new information while the talking heads consult their in-house experts and speculate.

Oniya

Quote from: Empyrean on April 16, 2013, 12:55:06 PM
Totally agree with you Mith. Letting us know what happened is news, but we don't need six hours of replays with no new information while the talking heads consult their in-house experts Magic 8-balls and speculate.

Fixed it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Tomorrow, though, is going to be (nearly) all Thatcher as for what gets shown live and then again in reprise on the news. The most widely televised funeral since Lady Di, and I'm certainly gonna watch some of it live.   O:)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Cedarcliffe

My friends and I were at the marathon. We had plans to hang out by the finish line through the end of the race, but about 20 minutes before the first bomb went off, we decided to get out of the crush of people and go have a smoke--not cigarettes, so it took us awhile to find a place quiet enough. We were in Boston Common by the time the bombs went off.

Things were scary in Boston for a while after that. Lots of uncertainty, none of us really knew where was safe. We avoided the major roads (I later found out this was probably a good idea when a rumor came out about another undetonated bomb placed on Huntington Avenue) and kept a watch on the news on our phones. Seems like every emergency vehicle in Boston that wasn't already lining the perimeter of the marathon was making a beeline for the Back Bay. Lots of helicopters in the sky. I've also never seen so many unmarked vehicles with lights flashing and sirens blaring; seemed like all the Feds in Massachusetts came out of the woodwork. An old man walking by told me about a woman whose leg had been blown off right in front of him--he wasn't hurt, but I'm pretty sure he was in shock. He was way too calm.

It's been a few hours more than 24 and it seems like people everywhere here are all talking about one thing. Everyone's nervous, edgy, scared. No one seems to know what happened, and we're all angry at the media for blowing up the story with every rumor and leaving us to get lost in a torrent of inaccurate reports. I am personally particularly upset with the New York Times for sensationalizing the death count with a blatant lie shortly after the incident, when everyone was desperate for information. They told us twelve had died.

At this point everyone I know is praying in their respective ways -- for the perp(s) to be captured, for the injured to live, for the would-be copycats to reign in their crazy. For some sense to be made out of all of this.

Here's to closure.

Beguile's Mistress

Trieste

Quote from: Cedarcliffe on April 16, 2013, 07:22:27 PM
My friends and I were at the marathon. We had plans to hang out by the finish line through the end of the race, but about 20 minutes before the first bomb went off, we decided to get out of the crush of people and go have a smoke--not cigarettes, so it took us awhile to find a place quiet enough. We were in Boston Common by the time the bombs went off.

Things were scary in Boston for a while after that. Lots of uncertainty, none of us really knew where was safe. We avoided the major roads (I later found out this was probably a good idea when a rumor came out about another undetonated bomb placed on Huntington Avenue) and kept a watch on the news on our phones. Seems like every emergency vehicle in Boston that wasn't already lining the perimeter of the marathon was making a beeline for the Back Bay. Lots of helicopters in the sky. I've also never seen so many unmarked vehicles with lights flashing and sirens blaring; seemed like all the Feds in Massachusetts came out of the woodwork. An old man walking by told me about a woman whose leg had been blown off right in front of him--he wasn't hurt, but I'm pretty sure he was in shock. He was way too calm.

It's been a few hours more than 24 and it seems like people everywhere here are all talking about one thing. Everyone's nervous, edgy, scared. No one seems to know what happened, and we're all angry at the media for blowing up the story with every rumor and leaving us to get lost in a torrent of inaccurate reports. I am personally particularly upset with the New York Times for sensationalizing the death count with a blatant lie shortly after the incident, when everyone was desperate for information. They told us twelve had died.

At this point everyone I know is praying in their respective ways -- for the perp(s) to be captured, for the injured to live, for the would-be copycats to reign in their crazy. For some sense to be made out of all of this.

Here's to closure.

I can only imagine.

This isn't the time or the place to toot anyone's horn, but some of the best people that I know in law enforcement are combing the situation for any and all ways they can bring their expertise to bear on this.

I was pissed when it first happened, and worried. I have friends and family that have normal business in the area, and who run in or volunteer at the Marathon. Now that I know that my own family and friends are safe, I could probably describe my feelings as enraged, determined, and very focused on hauling the person or persons responsible before a jury. I have specifically chosen to focus on analysis of arson and explosives (my master's research is actually in post-blast residue analysis) because I loathe the indiscriminate nature of explosives and arson. They are not targeted weapons, and they are pretty much guaranteed to spread widespread hurt and anguish.

I cannot describe in words the multiple levels on which I am pissed and disgusted.

But the mentor I spoke to in my field has said to me, "You're not crazy, you're human. Okay, you're angry - now what are you going to do with it?" And I am only one of many.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Callie Del Noire

One of my friends had a screaming hissy on facebook about how 'unsafe' it was to build a fertilzer factory so close to a retirement home, playground and school nearby.. till I pointed out it might have been there originally and urban sprawl moved out to it.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 18, 2013, 04:18:01 PM
One of my friends had a screaming hissy on facebook about how 'unsafe' it was to build a fertilzer factory so close to a retirement home, playground and school nearby.. till I pointed out it might have been there originally and urban sprawl moved out to it.

There was a violent blast at a factory for fireworks and gunpowder in Denmark a few years ago, right in a suburb. That particular mill had actually been started when there were already tenements and villas close by - though the factory buildings may have been older, built for another and less risky venture and bought by the fireworks company.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Moraline

Any word on if the Ricin poisoned letters sent to the government were possibly linked with the Boston bombings?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ephiral

...and now a single shooting incident at MIT, followed (just a couple minutes ago) by heavy gunfire and grenades in Watertown. What the hell.

ShadowFox89

And people in the NBC comments saying that this is why we shouldn't have gun restrictions.. lord...
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ephiral

Not that this justifies those arguments, but they've been using mostly (possibly entirely) police ordnance. The campus police officer's gun was stolen, and the vehicle they got away in was a state police SUV. As it stands right now, officers are establishing a 2-block perimiter centered on 98 Spruce St in Watertown. At least one officer has been pulled out by EMTs, and they said they may have seen a wounded suspect. Other suspect's whereabouts still unknown.

Just confirmed - one suspect is en route to hospital in custody.