Chinese couple caught selling their kids to fund MMO habit.

Started by Wolfy, July 26, 2011, 08:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://www.destructoid.com/chinese-couple-sell-their-kids-to-pay-for-mmo-habit-206989.phtml

Yep. @_@ Ok, there's an addiction problem, then there's this. @_@

I like how they were honest, though.

"We don't want to raise them, we just want to sell them for money"

o3o

gaggedLouise

Eeew, dreadful! The linked story of how political prisoners are forced to jack up virtual gold in computer games is hilarious (and absurd) though:

"Liu Dali would break rocks and dig mine trenches as part of his daily prison duties, then be made to play a range of online games at night in order to accrue vast amounts of virtual wealth.

"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labor," said Dali, who was imprisoned for protesting against corruption in his hometown. "There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off.

"... If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things."

(italics mine)

Even better than the Dutchman I heard of who had been sent to jail for "illegal manufacturing and sale of virtual swords". Is this how national sovereign debts are to be balanced in the future?  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Syauglan

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 26, 2011, 09:19:41 AM

Even better than the Dutchman I heard of who had been sent to jail for "illegal manufacturing and sale of virtual swords". Is this how national sovereign debts are to be balanced in the future?  :D

If the book "Ready Player One" is any indication, yes. Fantastic read, btw - my local library had an advance copy.