Publisher 2007, PDFs, and me

Started by Valerian, January 07, 2010, 01:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

I have a nice little two page document that I put together in publisher -- text, pictures, graphs, the works; and it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.  The problem is that I've learned this document will have to be emailed to several people who don't have Publisher and therefore won't be able to view it as is.

No problem! I say.  This is my chance to use that Convert to PDF option.

Sadly, this option assumes that your document is in portrait orientation, whereas mine is in landscape.  Therefore, when it converts, the left half of the old Page 1 is the new Page 1; the right half of the old Page 1 becomes the new Page 2, etc.  I've tried converting the original to portrait, but it just doesn't look right.  Attempts to put everything into a Word document are likewise not going very well.  :(

Thoughts, suggestions, sneaky techy ways to get around the problem?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Trieste

Maeven

Quote from: Trieste on January 07, 2010, 01:42:00 PM
Hit it with a hammer.
If all else fails. 

I don't know, I convert landscape excel files to PDF and it seems to know the orientation already.  I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.novapdf.com/kb/convert-publisher-to-pdf-microsoft-publisher-presentations-to-pdf-97.html 

Is that what you've been doing?

EDIT: Actually, scratch that, it's a pay service.  Bummer.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Valerian

Ohh, now that's sneaky.  Though it is from M$, after all.  :P

But yes, I've been trying to use the free feature built in to Publisher for the converting, which is clearly the stripped-down, better-not-expect-it-to-do-much version.  I'll see if I can do anything with getting that convertor, though I'm not holding my breath for that one.

In the meantime, I'll just go prepare that hammer.  The really big one.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Callie Del Noire

I know this might require LOTS of rework, but you could see if OpenOffice lets you do the landscape orientation.

Aside from that.. I dont know of any options that don't require cash. :(

Lilias

You might want to give PDF reDirect a try. I haven't used it myself (not much need to create PDFs), but it looks good, and it's freeware, so in the worst of cases, all you've wasted is a bit of time.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Valerian

It worked!  *rejoices*  And it looks better than it did in Publisher.   ;D  Thanks so much!  *hugs*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE