"I Have Sex"- Video Supporting Planned Parenthood Funding

Started by Star Safyre, March 09, 2011, 08:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

"I Have Sex" — students speak out against ideological attack on Planned Parenthood

My opinion: I love this video.  I found it well edited, positive, and authentic.  Mature young adults need access to sexual health services.  Trying to obfuscate funding cuts as fiscally necessary is to me a poorly disguised attack from pro-life group elected legislative purse-holders.  We need to cut the fat, not the bones of our future.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Oniya

I like the one guy who pipes up with 'and I enjoy it!'.  Also liked the special thanks to 'Coffee Party USA'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

*facebooks, tweets, emails, and downloads the video to her phone to show random people* Planned Parenthood has gotten me through several scrapes.

They gave me my GYN exams when I had no insurance and little money to pay for one.

They helped me when my birth control regimen was going wonky and hurting me.

They have been there several times for me and I cannot imagine taking them away from others. It's just ignorant.

Serephino

I don't want to see it close either.  I've gone there for STD testing.  A good friend of mine who also doesn't have insurance has gone there for pregnancy testing.  They charged her $19.  Wanna know what it would cost to go to the GYN office run by the hospital?  $270...  No, I'm not joking.  They charge $150 for an office visit and exam.  Then there would be the test, and the fee to be put in their system. 

If you limit access to birth control, then you increase unwanted pregnancy.  Then women will start doing what my one friend did and give themselves alcohol poisoning to get rid of it.  She damned near killed herself twice.   

Caeli

I'm going to spread this everywhere, and see if I can't rope in a friend to help me make a short film about this also.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Foxypockets

Wow. I hadn't seen this video before. I just posted it on facebook, because fuck yeah. It's really a great thing. I dig it. I have sex, I'm on birth control, I use protection, and anyone else who needs birth control or condoms or anything like that should be able to get it easily and affordably.

People have sex. People can't afford children.
It's a fact of life.

<3 Planned Parenthood.
*~You can't take the sky from me.~*

Caela

I've never had to use PP simply because our state health department provides the majority of the same services in my area and is easier to access. I  know that's not the case in most places however and could never justify cutting funding to the vital services they provide to so many young adults every year. I'm conservative and love the idea of the gov't cutting how much it spends but there are some services that we cannot afford to cut and PP is one of them.

SpiralSpider

That is a great video.

I'm actually Pro-Life, myself. However, I'm not the screaming, bible-thumper that might come to mind at that term. I think birth control is really important and should be available to everyone who needs it. When I was a teen, Planned Parenthood was the sole provider of my birth control, regular checkups and testing. I'll be forever in their debt because of that. My parents weren't very supportive of me in any aspect of my life so I kind of had to sneak around which makes everything pretty scary. Granted, I didn't lose my virginity until I was almost 17, but even still, I lived in the country and they kept me on a pretty tight leash so I was lucky to get to a PP at all.

I think it's sad that there's such a huge scene against PP. I'm sure I'll always be against the idea of abortion but I'm not an idiot. I know that it will likely never go away and that if it was easier to find a place to have it done legally, in a clinical setting, then there will be less problems associated with it. And increasing awareness, education and ease and availability of birth control will cut back on the need for such an extreme action. So, yeah, Go Planned Parenthood!
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Star Safyre

I'm just going to leave this here...

So 342K of government money is spent by PP on abortion services.  I don't think the armed forces can buy a hammer for that price, and people want to cut the program entirely because of it?  Bah.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Serephino

I'm pro-life, but smart enough to realize that birth control helps prevent unwanted pregnancies when used correctly.  And fewer unwanted pregnancies means fewer abortions.  It's really not a hard concept to follow.  I read that this is still a major sticking point in the budget, and I really hope it doesn't get cut. 

Yorubi

If they are so against Abortion, then why not propose just dropping it? I mean honestly its not really something I think should be dropped, but all their argument against it just makes me wonder why they don't just drop that part rather then try to tack it as being the deciding factor in cutting it off. I won't get into that argument here about abortions, but just focusing on the bulk of it, I mean really, there isn't anything bad about it.

I just hate how there are people who can be so stupid and support stuff just listening to one word some guy says thats not even 5% of what is on that section of the bill. I hate how dirty politics are with their own greedy intentions in mind and manipulating people into basically cutting stuff that actually benefits them and throws them more into distress as they foolishly follow what someone else tries to tell them. If only people really looked at to what is being done in each bill and really saw what things were, I have a feeling the country would be a lot better off for so many people.

Serephino

The problem with just dropping it is that PP provides those abortions to low income women who would otherwise be stuck with a baby they didn't want/couldn't care for, or seeking dangerous alternatives.  I was once friends with a girl who every time she thought she might be pregnant, would go out and give herself alcohol poisoning.  Even though I don't like it, I would rather they be performed in clinics by trained medical staff.