Farfetched's teeny tiny, eenie weenie bug reports and suggestions.

Started by FarFetched, February 18, 2016, 08:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarFetched

Alright, so I wanted to suggest a couple suggestions for the forum- but unlike most people, I know better. Running this forum can only be hard, and large changes are difficult to say the least. So instead, I'm here today to suggest smaller changes; tiny things that are easy to implement, and in some cases may just be formatting errors. None of these matter to the forums, and all can be ignored. Still, something to gnaw on.

#01 Fix the Topslice of the forum bars for wide screens
Alright, this one is the definition of tiny. For screens approaching 2.3k pixels in width, the length of the images used to define the top bars end early, causing tearing. example

#02 Default view: Give the topslice of the forum bars transparency
Simple fix; something that could be done in photoshop. All you need to do is add transparency to the top slice in order to remove the white bits here

#03 Save post data when switching themes.
When someone selects a different theme while writing a new topic or making a post, the post data doesn't show in the new page. Perhaps it could save our posts for the next page instead?

#04 Fix the sleepy icon?
This one has been annoying me for awhile, and I don't know if it's just me: THIS LITTLE MALCONTENT, RIGHT HERE never shows up.

#05 Sort search results properly
One of the things I've noticed when searching through the forums- when you order the search results by "most recent" it doesn't really sort the results by date at all.

#06 Save user settings such as theme choice in database, not as cookies
This is a bit of a tougher one because it would require tussling with models and columns in the DB. Elliquiy is terrible at remembering customization settings. Settings in the Ajax chat, the preferred theme of the forums and so on don't stay that way for many users. I don't know E's backend, but I'd say it's from session data expiring- the best way to fix that would be to store these changes in a column in your registered users table.

#07 Make the buddies list more accessible
Right now, the only way to get to a page to see the status of all your "buddies" in one place is to navigate to your profile, click the "modify" dropdown, and click on "Buddies/Ignore List". Maybe it's just me, but it'd be really neat if there was a similar link on the main navigation bar for viewing our buddies, somewhere on here, perhaps?

Vekseid

For #4, set your smiley set to the forum default. >_>

Most of the rest will be addressed in the Elkarte upgrade.

AmberStarfire

#01: The curved edges are small images that I tried to eliminate when I was working on some of the later themes, and replaced them with CSS instead. I didn't use CSS3 to curve them but rather let them end as rectangles, so the later themes shouldn't have them to the same extent. I don't know if I got all of them, but the first themes on the site were default and widescreen and I didn't make any changes to those. If you try Springtime, it has blue/green colours but shouldn't have the cut out pieces.

Oreo

Quote#07 Make the buddies list more accessible
Right now, the only way to get to a page to see the status of all your "buddies" in one place is to navigate to your profile, click the "modify" dropdown, and click on "Buddies/Ignore List". Maybe it's just me, but it'd be really neat if there was a similar link on the main navigation bar for viewing our buddies, somewhere on here, perhaps?

Actually all your buddies are listed at the bottom of the main page in Users Online in BOLD. If you want to know if they are here, that is the easiest method. ; )

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

AmberStarfire

#06: One thing that can work (if you're having trouble setting the theme) is bookmarking Elliquiy with the theme you want active, then loading it from the bookmark.

Vekseid

#6 is unholy hellspawn and I hates it.

(It does, actually, store your theme selection in the database... this is a big problem)

Cynadea

Quote from: AmberStarfire on February 18, 2016, 09:41:28 PM
#01: The curved edges are small images that I tried to eliminate when I was working on some of the later themes, and replaced them with CSS instead. I didn't use CSS3 to curve them but rather let them end as rectangles, so the later themes shouldn't have them to the same extent. I don't know if I got all of them, but the first themes on the site were default and widescreen and I didn't make any changes to those. If you try Springtime, it has blue/green colours but shouldn't have the cut out pieces.

Black and Blue should be using CSS. I did try to remove the image everywhere I could.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

FarFetched

Quote from: Aysande on February 23, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Black and Blue should be using CSS. I did try to remove the image everywhere I could.

Suprisingly, Black and Blue has a different kind of tearing, over on the far left side, but that's not from my monitor's monumental width; The 'cat_bar' class is inheriting some padding-left that would be better spent on moving the text in it's child, 'catbg', instead. Here's the difference with a bit of editing in the inspector.

EDIT:
Quote from: Vekseid on February 19, 2016, 06:41:10 AM
#6 is unholy hellspawn and I hates it.

(It does, actually, store your theme selection in the database... this is a big problem)
Also that's... super weird.

Vekseid

SMF was not written with 'single source of truth' in mind.

Especially when it comes to how your theme gets set.