Truth, Justice and Brownies if you got 'em (Superheroes, MHR)

Started by Guancyto, December 26, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guancyto

This was it. Victory! Every evildoer you know of has been locked away or banished to some other dimension or in hiding. A time of peace upon Earth reigned. For about six months. Now, a new villain has appeared from nowhere and the dastardly fiend has broken open all the supervillain prisons and let loose terror and mayhem upon the world!

Thank fuck. Retirement was terrible! Now you have to get the team back together and stop all the bad guys in high-flying, brightly-colored adventure!

-----------

So this'll be the first game I run on Elliquiy, so I hope you'll all be gentle with me. It'll be set in an original universe where superheroes have mostly Won the Game and bad guys tend to be a little... less effectual than you'd think. It's a little light on detail and we'll fill in things as they become important.

I'm intending it to be a light, fluffy superheroes game, closer to Batman: Brave and the Bold in tone than anything grittier. A game about people in brightly colored costumes punching each other while shouting dramatic lines, or of befriending enemies after the fashion of Earthbound or Undertale.

System will be Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system unless someone can convince me that there's something better to use (MHR isn't published any more, but MnM is a little unwieldy for my tastes).

I say Light but this will be going in Bondage-Exotic because, well, superheroes. You know.

So who'd be game?

Premier

Batman4560

Kunoichi

GunmetalDreamer

I'll put my name forward for interest, but I was under the impression that MHR had no character gen rules...

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

wander

Miroque

FASRIP marvel maybe? Anyway, Im game... IF there is room for Super-Heroine... in way too skimpy spandex..

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/ link for MSH Rpg.. out of product, as TSR is long gone... but its open sourse nowadays..

Kunoichi

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on December 27, 2015, 02:38:55 AM
I'll put my name forward for interest, but I was under the impression that MHR had no character gen rules...

The character gen rules for MHR are 'work with your gm to make up whatever numbers fit for your character concept'.  They apparently worked pretty hard to have the system be balanced around letting players do that, too.

That said, some of the later event books do have rules for randomly generating characters, if you can manage to get your hands on one somehow and would prefer a little more structure while creating a character.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

wander

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 27, 2015, 12:20:54 PM
The character gen rules for MHR are 'work with your gm to make up whatever numbers fit for your character concept'.  They apparently worked pretty hard to have the system be balanced around letting players do that, too.

That said, some of the later event books do have rules for randomly generating characters, if you can manage to get your hands on one somehow and would prefer a little more structure while creating a character.

The random roll chargen is a different pdf file actually, I have all the event books (including the very short lived Annihilation one) and it's not included in any of them.

As a veteran of MHR, you get to pick what makes the hero(ine) you want, just go with the concept. It's the Watcher's duty to make sure someone doesn't take the piss and make an uber character. Because MHR is a dicepool game where most people will be rolling 4-5 different sided dice, it all evens out, even if someone is rolling mainly four d10s and the other person four d8s, it's down to the highest two dice you roll that decides your action total.

Oh and if we're doing MHR, I vote to nix the rule on rolling a positive and negative Distinction each roll, people used to take the mick back in the day for farming Plot Points with really tenuous narratives and getting that cheeky extra die in their pools. It's far more fun limiting it to one Distinction and going with either positive for the d8 or negative for the d4 but gaining a Plot Point.

ShadowFox89

Yep, putting in interest. Big Boom, aka Big Bewms, aka Whitney Stone, aka "that crazy fucking dog girl who makes things explode with her mind."
Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 27, 2015, 09:51:12 PM
Yep, putting in interest. Big Boom, aka Big Bewms, aka Whitney Stone, aka "that crazy fucking dog girl who makes things explode with her mind."

Now that's someone whose datafile I wanna see! xD

Premier

Be going with Copycat, the fast learning robot girl who is fascinated by everything. EVERYTHING.

wander

Okay, I'mma going with my usual super character, Kitt.

He's a defence and buffing oriented character who has psionic space warping powers; like light refraction invisibility, teleportation and reflective force fields.

Kunoichi

And I'll be bringing a flying brick with laser-vision. ^^ Ace the Wonder-Girl, fictional sidekick to the comic book superhero Captain Paragon, brought to life through the use of magic.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

wander

I just got reminded of Wonder Girl from DC...

Mm, Cassie Sandsmark...  ^-^

Batman4560

I'll be bringing a speedster to the group I think. Is anyone familiar with the system we are using?

Kunoichi

We seem to have a good 2 or 3 people in this thread who are familiar with Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, yes.

Batman4560

Thank god because I have no clue what I'm looking at. :P And by that I mean I have nothing to look at.

Kunoichi

Ah.  Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is a system that was published by Margaret Weiss Productions in 2012.  It's already out of print, though (Marvel canceled the license after just one year because they have ridiculously unrealistic expectations on what sort of numbers a superhero rpg is supposed to be pulling in), so you'll probably have to turn to alternative methods for tracking down a copy of the rules.

Batman4560

wander

Quote from: Batman4560 on December 28, 2015, 10:54:07 PM
I'll be bringing a speedster to the group I think. Is anyone familiar with the system we are using?

It's a fairly simple system when you get down to it, Batman. When it comes time to generate a datafile, I can copy and paste what dice represent what powers into PMs for you, so you'll know what best to give your character.

I could also do that for anyone who doesn't own the system or perhaps post it in the OOC thread so I don't have to mass PM peoples...  :D

Very simply to explain the system though, each character has Affiliation dice (pick one if they're acting alone, with a buddy or three plus), Distinctions (general statements on who they are, you can add these to your pool if they're involved in the narrative for your action in some way), Powers and Skills.

You generally roll one die from each of those four sections, though exceptions exist. You discount any 1s (though the GM will have interest in those and offer to take that die into their own dicepool, paying you a Plot Point for it, these can buy a boost to you) and you pick two die to become your total for the action, with a third die representing how powerful the effect is, here it's sides are important, not the number on it. Anything past those three tend to not matter, usually.

Miroque

Im game. Althou Im total noob to the MSH system.. so I have no idea how to start building an character..

Idea in mind: Cosmic Epsilon rays hit her while she was a child.. and after that, she has gained power to manipulate energy radiation (mostly light at start, but later on, she found she could manipulate different energies, like gravity (wingless flight))

Batman4560

wander

Lol, I'm not the GM though! ^^

Basic thing is roll four dice (I can help you out with what ones to put in each section for your character if you'd like) and then pick two for your actual roll and a third die for your effect.

QuoteSo, say if Captain America was going toe to toe with Iron Man, just the two of them... For an attack he'd likely roll his Solo die (which is a d6), his Distinction of Sentinel of Liberty as a d8... He's going to throw his shield (which counts as a second Power-Set); He has Enhanced Strength (d8) and Weapon (d8). Cap also has a special ricochet power that adds a few things, but we're ignoring that for this example. Because it's a straight attack, he uses his Combat Master skill (d10).

All together, he'd roll a d6, 3d8 and a d10.
In order, he rolls a 1, 4, 6, 1 and 2. He'd discount the d6 and the d8 that rolled 1s, leaving him with a 4 and a 6 on the d8s and a 2 on the d10. He decides to pick the 4 & 6 for a total of 10 and uses the d10 as damage against Tony. Of course Tony gets to try and roll over that 10 in defence. Also if Cap rolled highest on the d10, he can decide to either go for a higher total (meaning more accurate attack) but use a d8 for his damage effect, which is a smaller die than the d10.

Damage works kinda uniquely.
Characters don't have HP, instead their damage is measured as dice sides.
So if Cap hit, he'd inflict d10 damage on Tony. Extra damage inflicted makes that dice grow.
Say Tony already had damage on him, then his damage would increase to d12. One more hit after that and your character is removed from the scene (No d20s in MHR ^^).

Hope that helps peeps to get to grips with the system a little bit more. :)

TheFourthShade

GunmetalDreamer

Managed to get my hands on a .pdf and I'm working my way through it now.  It's different from what I'm used to, but I haven't been scared off yet.

Thinking I'll do something in the Spider-Man/Beast range.  A geneticist who tried to reproduce the regenerative capabilities of frogs in humans and got a little more than she bargained for when she used herself as the first test subject.  Heightened agility, some wall-crawling, amphibious nature, super strong legs for jumping and kicking stuff ... and probably a sonic "Frog Song", loud enough to disorient but not to cause resonant vibrations and shake mechanical things apart.

Keep flip-flopping on whether or not to go with the tongue.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

LuckyLukin

Highly interested. Hopefully you're still recruiting. Also, need to look through the rules as I have never seen this system before but willing to learn it. :)

Guancyto

Holy crap that is... a lot of interest. Okay! Everyone who hasn't thrown down a concept do that and we'll figure out what your superteam will be like, if you know how to make characters in the system spitball something and we'll hash it out.

Quote from: wander on December 27, 2015, 06:44:41 PMAs a veteran of MHR, you get to pick what makes the hero(ine) you want, just go with the concept. It's the Watcher's duty to make sure someone doesn't take the piss and make an uber character. Because MHR is a dicepool game where most people will be rolling 4-5 different sided dice, it all evens out, even if someone is rolling mainly four d10s and the other person four d8s, it's down to the highest two dice you roll that decides your action total.
As a, uh, not-veteran of MHR (I've played a one-shot with it and was really impressed with how it gelled together, but that's not what you'd call extensive experience), how do you feel about being deputized to help out?

QuoteOh and if we're doing MHR, I vote to nix the rule on rolling a positive and negative Distinction each roll, people used to take the mick back in the day for farming Plot Points with really tenuous narratives and getting that cheeky extra die in their pools. It's far more fun limiting it to one Distinction and going with either positive for the d8 or negative for the d4 but gaining a Plot Point.
I thought that was always the way it worked! Consider that houseruled.

LuckyLukin

So I've been building through the random character generator in the book, and so far I've got a Hi-Tech hero with Resistance to Radiation, Recovery, and an extra limb(s). Surprisingly enough this one managed to get excellent fighting, Typical Strength, Excellent Reasoning, Remarkable Intuition and Psyche, though feeble endurance.  So I'm stuck trying to figure out how to accommodate that in the backstory.

Also he/she is tallented in psychiatry and martial arts, so yeah, have to figure that one out.

Not sure about having a secret identity either, Just need to figure things out and would love some help with it.

wander

QuoteAs a, uh, not-veteran of MHR (I've played a one-shot with it and was really impressed with how it gelled together, but that's not what you'd call extensive experience), how do you feel about being deputized to help out?

Heh, again I'm not the OP or the GM for this... Though I guess I could co-GM and help people make character sheets if the OP is still making this a thing?

LuckyLukin

Crash

Here was my random rolls just for fun...turns out it would make for a great animal-centric hero.  I rolled really well, but focusing on animals should be a bit of a limiter. 

Maybe name the character Menagerie or something....

Mutant: Two Power Sets. After rolling them all, step up one of the traits in your primary Power Set. You automatically have the Mutant Limit on at least one Power Set.

Buddy d10, Team d8, Solo d6

Power Sets
Primary
Mutant Common power trait - Senses d10,
Mutant Common power trait – Movement d10
Mutant Common power trait – Strength d8
Mutant Uncommon power trait – Shapeshift d8
Mutant Uncommon power trait -Reflexes d8

SFX: Multipower
Limit: Mutant

Secondary
Mutant Psychic Power trait - Animal Control d10
SFX:
Limit:

Specialties:
Expert: Psych
Expert:  Menace
Expert: Medical
Master: Science

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Guancyto

Quote from: wander on December 31, 2015, 10:53:28 PM
Heh, again I'm not the OP or the GM for this... Though I guess I could co-GM and help people make character sheets if the OP is still making this a thing?
I am the OP you silly pancake.

Soooo yes, I am asking for your help in making this a thing.

LuckyLukin

Quote from: Miroque on December 27, 2015, 11:08:12 AM
FASRIP marvel maybe? Anyway, Im game... IF there is room for Super-Heroine... in way too skimpy spandex..

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/ link for MSH Rpg.. out of product, as TSR is long gone... but its open sourse nowadays..
The first link on THAT page is the PHB (In DND terms)

Premier

I have revised my concept to a more sensible and grounded Alien Catgirl Gadgeteer and will post my character sheet as soon as I'm sober. This is more of a reminder than I actually thought of it.

wander

Quote from: Guancyto on January 01, 2016, 12:58:35 AM
I am the OP you silly pancake.

Soooo yes, I am asking for your help in making this a thing.

Oh, sure... But only system stuff, I'm not really a GMing person, though I have ran this game a shedton in the past and can help out in systemy bits, sure. :)

QuoteWhat book is the random gen stuff in?

It's a seperate pdf... I'll see if I can find it as it may still be hosted online from the dev's site, like the Hulk and Thor datafiles are (these two don't appear in any of the books and got released thanks to the 1st Avengers movie out at the time). Not sure if it's kosher to link it, though.

TheFourthShade

I can assist with a little expertise on the matter.  If nothing else, I bought a lot of the material back when this was a thing.

--------

Name: Kanina Zanahoria

Affiliations

Solo     D10
Buddy    D8
Team      D6

Distinctions
Runaway Alien Queen
Rabbit Girl Bounty Hunter
Shirks Responsibility Regularly

Power Sets

Zaichik Biology
Superhuman Reflexes  D10
Superhuman Hearing   D10
Enhanced Kicking          D8
Enhanced Speed             D8
Superhuman Leaping   D10

SFX:  Feet of Fury -  Add a D6 to your dice pool for an attack action, and step back the highest die in the pool by one step.  Step up the Physical Stress inflicted by one.

SFX: Multipower: Use or more Two Zaichik Biology Powers in your dice pool, each at -1 step for each power after the first.

Limit: Exhausted  -  Shutdown any Zaichik Biology power and gain +1 PP, recover the power by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.

Specialties
Acrobatics Master D10
Combat Expert         D8
Cosmic Expert         D8
Crime Master        D10
Vehicle Expert         D8

Milestones

Runaway Zaichik Queen
1 XP when you are confronted with other bounty hunters or other ne'er-do-wells who seek to return you home.
3 XP when innocents get involved in the crossfire or (inexplicably) someone gets mistaken for you due to happenstance.
10 XP when you send your current pursuer packing or otherwise manage to elude them for good.

Well...You Know...Like Rabbits!
1 XP when you flirt with another character, player or watcher.
3 XP when you use your charm to influence that character or are manipulated by them.
10 XP when you hold fast to your new flame in the face of adversity or turn away from them to protect them.

----
Background Notes/Prewriting
Beyond the Zaichik Sun (at least relative to Earth) rests the strange nearly artificial planet of the same name.  It is a largely overteched world ruled by a very powerful monarchy that is actually so surrounded with artificial constructions that it no longer moves except by very carefully plotted courses by thrusters that have no business working.

Zaichik technology is only rivaled in strangeness by its monarchy, which openly encourages oneupmanship and being a graceful loser about being cheated out of power.  A usurped king often serves the child that overthrows him as a trusted adviser, and generally is satisfied with that position unless and until an opportunity to retake power comes up.  The fact that they're very swift people with rabbit ears and powerful leg muscles is probably the least strange thing about this all.

Being the seventeenth child of the prolific Zanahoria dynasty, Kanina never expected to particularly have to worry about her family's chain of succession.   Really, she got drunk on the local carrot based liquor one night and slugged her sister one night at a party.  The next day, without a clue that she was a Queen, she ordered a feast...and it arrived post haste.

It took her about a week to realize that being Queen sucked.  Everyone expected her to run things, and she assumed one of her older siblings would usurp in a few days.

She stole the Royal Pleasure Yacht and headed out into the Galaxy, making her way as a mercenary for good causes and a bounty hunter.  She had many adventures on her own before crash landing on earth and hooking up with some local superheroes after some shenanigans that likely involved the breaking of several minor earth laws and the consumption of massive amounts of liquor.

Of course, Zaichik law had no provision for an abdicating monarch...and the planet fell into chaos...

wander

And it looks like the random datafile pdf was removed from Margaret Weis' website, along with the Hulk and Thor datafiles... Damn, I never saved those two on my new comp...

Either way, I can post up in le OOC thread when made what Powers and Skills are available and what each sided die actually represents. Same with default sfx descriptions. I can also list every Power and every Skill here in another post, if wanted, though descriptions will have to wait for OOC, as my posts will end up being massive and I'd probably have to spoiler tag them or something.

Premier

wander

By default, you don't. You're supposed to place dice where you feel they best fit with your character and the GM decides with you if the dice fit well and helps/decides if things would be underpowered or overpowered for the game.

There was later a random datafile pdf so you could roll randomly, though it's been taken off the dev's site since. However, to help... I'll list each Power and Skill here. Distinctions are simple and down to your concept, simply state three short double-edged sentences about your character... These three statements should be something that can both benefit or trouble your character depending on the circumstance and can include their catchphrase, a simple description of their concept, what people think of them, how they think of themselves, it's up to you really.

Okay, Powers, these are all rated d6, d8, d10 or d12 based on how powerful they are:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Attack Powers (Blasts, Weapons)
Durability
Elemental Control Powers
Intangibility
Invisibility
Mimic (as in copying powers)
Movement Powers (can be any type of movement as a description, dice represents actual speed of the movement)
Psychic Powers (Mind Control/Telepathy/Animal or Plant Control, each one is a different Power and die)
Reflexes
Resistance Power
Senses
Shapeshifting
Size-Changing (Growth and/or Shrinking are seperate powers)
Sorcery
Stamina (enhanced healing, health, resistance to fatigue, disease resistance)
Strength
Stretching
Teleport
Transmutation

Skills in a future post.

LuckyLukin

What about that datafile that I linked to?  That should still be available.

TheFourthShade

Quote from: Premier on January 02, 2016, 10:35:35 AM
So how do we go about rolling up a character?

You just assign characteristics as you feel appropriate, and your GM suggests changes (or approves it on the spot, but most players usually under or overpower their character a bit).

Kunoichi

And speaking of making characters for this game...

(Character Sheet moved further ahead in-thread.)

I still have to come up with a few good milestones for my character, but I think she's got enough done to be ready for approval. ^^

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

I'd say Ace is a little OP Kunoichi... Two Power-Sets with five d12s and five d10s... It's a little much IMO. The Sentry basically had all d10s in his datafile and Ace may be powerful enough to fight Galactus or Thanos as she is presently, who both have similar powerlevels to Ace.

Depends on what our friendly GM wants to do though, how weak or powerful they want the characters... It'd be hard to make anything that's a challenge for Ace though, without liberal use of her Venusite weakness.

Kunoichi

That is roughly the level of power that I was aiming for with her, though I will admit that I was hoping her Sidekick Syndrome limit would help balance things out a little more.  Would adding on an extra weakness or two help, or would I be better off lowering some of those d12s to d10s and some of the d10s to d8s?

Guancyto

I would greatly appreciate lowering some of the numbers. I mean, you'd probably still be Superman in this equation even with reduced dice. Give you something to grow into, you know?

I also worry that it would make a villain with psychic powers just downright too effective, because of how ridiculously hard it would be to stop you if you got turned.

Keep... hmm, keep your stamina as a d12 for reasons. Superman was always the tank.

ReijiTabibito

Had a character I used for an MHR game some time ago, and I always thought needed tweaking (plus the game didn't last that long).  Got space for another?  (Also may or may not be trying to learn how to upgrade from Player to GM in terms of skills for this system.)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Guancyto on January 03, 2016, 01:12:08 PM
I would greatly appreciate lowering some of the numbers. I mean, you'd probably still be Superman in this equation even with reduced dice. Give you something to grow into, you know?

I also worry that it would make a villain with psychic powers just downright too effective, because of how ridiculously hard it would be to stop you if you got turned.

Keep... hmm, keep your stamina as a d12 for reasons. Superman was always the tank.

I was going for more of a 'Silver Age Kryptonian' feel to the character, so could I keep the Flight at d12, as well?  Being able to fly to other planets under my own power and not having to worry about breathing in space are both definitely a necessity for getting the right feel for Ace.

And then, let's see...  Gamma Laser Eyebeams can be lowered to a d8 and Radiation Resistance to a d10 (meaning that I have to shut off my Flight if I want to use Radiation Boost to improve one of the other powers in that set), and then for the Venusian Physiology power set, I can change Superhuman Speed d10 to Enhanced Leaping d8, lower the Reflexes to another d8, and that should cover it, for the most part.

As one last question, considering that the official datafiles for both Hercules and Thor let them both have Godlike Strength and Godlike Stamina as part of the same powerset, would I be able to keep my Strength at d12 as well, or would that still be a bit too much?

Guancyto

You could, I guess the onus would be on you to not use your powers for evil. I wasn't really going for a Silver age powerlevel, but it would be sort of funny to have a character who would be straightforwardly the most powerful if she could stop getting tied up all the time. (Definitely do keep spaceflight though, I mean, how often are you going to fight space invasions ha ha *shoves alien invader plans under a mat*)

And I guess Venusite has a reason to not exactly common but not impossible to obtain (as compared to Kryptonite, which has absolutely no gorram reason to be on earth at all but you know, who's counting)

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 03, 2016, 01:22:29 PM
Had a character I used for an MHR game some time ago, and I always thought needed tweaking (plus the game didn't last that long).  Got space for another?  (Also may or may not be trying to learn how to upgrade from Player to GM in terms of skills for this system.)
Haven't closed recruitment yet, by all means pitch something.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Guancyto on January 03, 2016, 02:02:47 PM
You could, I guess the onus would be on you to not use your powers for evil. I wasn't really going for a Silver age powerlevel, but it would be sort of funny to have a character who would be straightforwardly the most powerful if she could stop getting tied up all the time. (Definitely do keep spaceflight though, I mean, how often are you going to fight space invasions ha ha *shoves alien invader plans under a mat*)

That's pretty much exactly the sort of situations I was going for with this character, yes. ^^ Getting tied up is also the sort of complication that would place narrative restrictions on how I can use my super-strength, and I'm also now thinking it would be appropriate to add in a limit that prevents me from using my strength to remove those sorts of complications, so hopefully that will help keep me from being too overpowered compared to everyone else.

And I guess Venusite has a reason to not exactly common but not impossible to obtain (as compared to Kryptonite, which has absolutely no gorram reason to be on earth at all but you know, who's counting)

I think they usually toss in some sort of justification about a lot of it getting swept up in the wake of baby Kal-El's rocket and dragged along to Earth or something along those lines, but in Ace's case, I'd imagine that any villain with access to appropriate mystical resources could summon up some Venusite by getting an issue of a Captain Paragon comic and performing a similar ritual to the one that brought Ace to life.  You could probably give a few villains origins like Ace's, too, or even have a 'Movie Wizard' character who specializes in fiction-based magic, now that I think about it.

Edit: Though, one area that I could use some help in is coming up with some good Milestones for Ace.  I'm thinking one would involve her status as a fictional character brought to life, and the other might involve the fact that she's bringing Silver Age sensibilities into a more modern world, but the specifics on how to work those up as Milestones is eluding me. ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Guancyto on January 03, 2016, 02:02:47 PM
Haven't closed recruitment yet, by all means pitch something.

Alright.  Here's the character I made a long, long time ago.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 12, 2012, 01:01:30 PM

Darclight
Origin: Alien Battle Armor

Affiliations
Solo d8
Buddy d10
Team d6

Distinctions
Defender of Life Everywhere
Former Stormwatch Operative
Brought You All Together For A Purpose

Alien Battle Armor Armor
Enhanced Durability d8, Enhanced Speed d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Superhuman Reflexes d10, Superhuman Senses d10, Superhuman Stamina d10

SFX: Super Strength: Add 1d6 to the Doom Pool to reroll a dice pool involving a Battle Armor Armor power.

SFX: From the Darkforce Itself: Spend 1 PP to recover your Physical stress and step back your Physical trauma by -1.

SFX: The Mind Screams as Much as the Body: Add d6 and step up effect die by +1 when using Battle Armor powers to inflict Physical stress.

Limit: Darkforce Overload: Gain 1 PP to step up stress or complications caused by Darkforce energy by +1 step.

Limit: The Armor Takes As Much As It Gives: Shut down any Darkforce Armor power and gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

Darkforce Control
Darkforce Blast d8, Darkforce Weapons d8, Invisibility d10, Subsonic Flight d8, Superhuman Durability d10, Wall Crawling d10

SFX: Energy Absorption: On a successful reaction against an energy attack, step up one of your Darkforce Control powers by +1 step for one roll.  Spend 1PP to gain the benefit on an unsuccessful reaction.

SFX: The Shield Is All I Need: When using Superhuman Durability in your dice pool, redirect Emotional Stress to Physical Stress at no cost.

SFX: You. ARE.  NOTHING!: On a reaction against a Physical Stress action attack, inflict Mental Stress with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.

Limit: A Power Beyond Comprehension: Shut down a Darkforce Control power to gain 1 PP; recover by spending 1 PP or during a Transition Scene.

Specialties:
Combat Master
Cosmic Expert
Covert Expert
Medical Expert
Science Expert

Milestones

Foe of the Deathmarks
1 xp: You declare a Watcher Character as either an agent or an enemy of the Deathmarks.
3 xp: When you inflict trauma on a Deathmark, or take trauma from one.
10 xp: You destroy Varkolak, Lord of the Deathmarks, or conclude that they are gone at last and thus give up the chase.

I already applied a couple of tweaks that I had in mind for his character (primarily to his Specialties and SFX), but he'll have quite a few more, as he was made for a game in the vein of Garth Ennis' The Authority, which followed a series called Stormwatch, and because at the time I had little idea what the hell I was doing.

I've also got an idea for an original character based on a game called Azure Striker Gunvolt, but I figured that maybe I could do them both up and then see which one would fit better into the schema of things?

wander

You can consolidate the Darkforce Blast and Darkforce Weapons into one single d8, they're both attack powers, you can only pick one power from each power-set per turn and they're both rated d8, so make them one die.

Also, one thing I noticed which is kinda game-breaking; Your second Power-Set has a sfx that can move emotional stress (which isn't usually common to gain, btw) to physical stress for no extra cost. Now that's a pretty cool sfx, however when combo'd with your First Power-Set's 'From the Darkforce itself' sfx, you can spend 1PP to remove Physical stress entirely...

I'd probably remove the emotional stress sfx, as tbh the First-Power set's sfx is basically a reskin of 'Healing Factor', which is fine as a sfx (Wolverine has the exact same thing, for example).

Lastly, how would you feel with your Shutdown Limits going to shutting down the whole Power-Set until you recover it, rather than a single power from them? I think it gives you a bit more risk, but also I think personally it'd be a bit more balancing and you're not short on Power dice anyway.

Though all in all, quite a good character there. :)

As a link to the last bit there... Having one Power-set a time is fine... Lots of characters only have one. ^^

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: wander on January 03, 2016, 06:56:49 PM
You can consolidate the Darkforce Blast and Darkforce Weapons into one single d8, they're both attack powers, you can only pick one power from each power-set per turn and they're both rated d8, so make them one die.

I could.  But then I would lose the ability to spend a PP and include both in a roll - you can spend PP to use more than one Power from a Set in a given roll.  But I'll take your suggestion under advisement - what would I title it, though?

Also, one thing I noticed which is kinda game-breaking; Your second Power-Set has a sfx that can move emotional stress (which isn't usually common to gain, btw) to physical stress for no extra cost. Now that's a pretty cool sfx, however when combo'd with your First Power-Set's 'From the Darkforce itself' sfx, you can spend 1PP to remove Physical stress entirely...

I'd probably remove the emotional stress sfx, as tbh the First-Power set's sfx is basically a reskin of 'Healing Factor', which is fine as a sfx (Wolverine has the exact same thing, for example).

Yeah.  Darclight needs a lot of work.  You might also note that somehow, I've got Durability powers in both sets.  I'm planning on doing a lot of reworking for Darclight.  He'll have two power sets - one will represent the Armor itself, the other will represent control the armor has over an element - I'm thinking Cold, though I have a couple of backup options - that is unique to that particular armor class (the idea being the suit is the last of a specific production line of alien armors that were produced for war against the Deathmarks noted in the profile).

Lastly, how would you feel with your Shutdown Limits going to shutting down the whole Power-Set until you recover it, rather than a single power from them? I think it gives you a bit more risk, but also I think personally it'd be a bit more balancing and you're not short on Power dice anyway.

That will depend on how the new power sets land out.

Though all in all, quite a good character there. :)

He'll be a lot better when he's done.  Care to help me with him?

wander

QuoteI could.  But then I would lose the ability to spend a PP and include both in a roll - you can spend PP to use more than one Power from a Set in a given roll.  But I'll take your suggestion under advisement - what would I title it, though?

Well now let's talk about that. Having two Attack Powers is kinda like having two of the same of other Powers in a Set, if you want extra dice, use an sfx instead. You're considering the attack to be boosted when using it here, that kind of thing is better represented by an sfx. Also, try not to think on how many dice you can get your character, think more on the narrative... What can your character do and can't do...

Everyone, remember you're playing as part of a team... It's okay not being able to be the awesomest at something, as someone else in the team can specialise with that.

Anyway, if you needed a name 'Darkforce weapons' is fine, as that can include both ranged or melee attacks. Your narrative says whether you fire a ranged attack or use a melee attack, with the d8 representing whichever way it's used.

Now if you wanted to have two dice because you want to target two different opponents, one with each attack... That's better represented with the Area Effect sfx, which is all about attacking more than one target in a round.

PM me if you need more specific help, otherwise the character is pretty good. :)

TheFourthShade

Yeah I might have overdone it a bit with mine.  I've come from playing up and comers so I'm not used to using such big numbers.

Kunoichi

Alright, posting up my edited character sheet now.  I added two extra SFX onto Venusian Physiology and added an extra line onto the Sidekick Syndrome limit to reflect that I can't just bust out of any bonds that I'm being held in, so hopefully this will be an easier character to work with.

(moved to page 5)

Premier

It sounds a lot like a variant of FATE, where it’s all about tying in what you’re doing to your character. A D6 for using your ray gun and a D10 for explaining he power of Science with an extra D8 for your “Victory through Superior Firepower” descriptor.

Which I like, because FATE with a little bit more mechanical support sounds pretty great. 

wander

Much better character there Kunoichi! I really like Ace btw, from the moment I spotted her, now she's much more balanced and better for a team. :)

Also, Premier;

Yeah, it is a lot like FATE though I like MHR more as you don't end up with so many post-its filled with Aspects and characters take damage and can get KO'd way easier! xD
Also yeah, it is basically a game where you make a narrative of your action and then see which dice fit best and roll 'em... Like in FATE too you can also roll to create Aspects to give you a helpful additional die, like an inventor character maybe jury-rigged something in their downtime before the action scene and can bring it with them to the conflict. :)

Oh and here's a full Skill List for everyone to looksy through if still making their characters. These are rated either d8 or d10. d8 is gifted with that skill, d10 is pretty much full-on mastery, so try not to take too many of these.;

Acrobatic
Business
Combat
Cosmic (as in knowledge of aliens, planets etc)
Covert
Crime
Medical
Menace
Mystic
Psych (psychology and face skills)
Science
Tech
Vehicle

ReijiTabibito

Speaking of FATE, that reminds me of something I was doing for my new character (as opposed to Darclight, who is still being overhauled).  One of the key concepts of the character I have is that he's got...well, his carried weapon is basically one part gun and one part tagging device, so that his real offensive power can be directed to where the tag is.  In FATE, that would basically be Creating an Advantage followed up by a direct Attack action, using the Aspect created to gain a boost.

Is there a way to do that in Heroic?

Kunoichi

That sounds like either creating an Asset or placing a Complication on your target, possibly also with an appropriate special effect and/or limit added on to whatever power set includes the character's 'real offensive power'.

What sort of offensive options did you have in mind for the character to have?

Quote from: wander on January 04, 2016, 09:06:57 AM
Much better character there Kunoichi! I really like Ace btw, from the moment I spotted her, now she's much more balanced and better for a team. :)

Good to know. ^^

ReijiTabibito

Well, the gear-based power set I had in mind would carry a small attack power - d6, maybe d8 at the best.  The main one would come from their internal powerset - something like Cap's Super Soldier Program or Iron Fist's Heart of Shou-Lao powersets.  That set would include an Elemental Blast power, plus maybe another power or two with offensive applications.

Kunoichi

That sounds like you'd roll to create a 'Targeting Lock' asset, in that case.  And your gun could have an appropriate SFX to help out with that.  Something like, say...

SFX: Lock-On Targeting. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when using [Power Set] to create Targeting Lock assets.

Edit: And now that I think about it, maybe your internal powerset could have a Limit stating that it can only be used when you have a Targeting Lock asset built up?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

You can use mine if you'd like:

[b]Name:[/b]
[hr]
[b]Affiliations:[/b]
Solo
Buddy
Team
[hr]
[b]Distinctions:[/b]

[hr]
[b]Power Sets:[/b]
[b]POWER SET[/b]
-
SFX: [i]SFX Name.[/i]
Limit: [i]Limit Name.[/i]
[hr]
[b]Specialties:[/b]

[hr]
[b]Milestones:[/b]

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2016, 03:52:20 PM
That sounds like you'd roll to create a 'Targeting Lock' asset, in that case.  And your gun could have an appropriate SFX to help out with that.  Something like, say...

SFX: Lock-On Targeting. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when using [Power Set] to create Targeting Lock assets.

Edit: And now that I think about it, maybe your internal powerset could have a Limit stating that it can only be used when you have a Targeting Lock asset built up?

That sounds about right.  The Limit would need some adjustment, though.  The internal powerset includes an elemental attack power, plus a few more minor (d8) enhancement powers.  Plus, in the game, you can actually use the major offensive power - the Flashfield - without a tag/lock.  It's just not as efficient as firing with one.

ShadowFox89

Work in progress
Name: Whitney "Big Boom" Stone

Affiliations:
Solo         D8
Buddy      D10
Team      D6

Distinctions:
Genetically Modified to have certain Dog-Like Traits
Collateral Damage Girl
When in Doubt, Explosions

Power Sets:
Explosive Personality
Big Blast D10
Boom-Shield D8
-
SFX: Area Attack Target multiple opponents. For each additional target, add d6 and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Unleashed Step up Big Blast for one action. If the action is unsuccessful, add a die to the doom pool equal to the die normally rolled for Big Blast.
SFX: Immunity Spend 1pp to ignore physical stress or trauma caused by blast or beam attacks.
Limit: Lose Control Earn 1pp and turn any power from Explosive Personality into a complication. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.
Limit: Lab Rat Earn 1pp when affected by any milestone or tech related to altered humans.
-
Dog-Girl

Specialties:

Milestones:
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

'Collateral Damage Girl' seems like it might also work pretty well as a Milestone, if you need any help coming up with those.  You might be able to work in some other Distinction based on your character's past or occupation if you decide to go for that.

On your power set, Blast Wave might work better as a SFX of some sort, rather than a separate power trait.

wander

Alot to catch up on here, so I'll have a proper read through and add more tomorrow, though the tracking device is used on the Spiderman datafile in the Basic Game book... I'll look it up and see how fitting it'd be for inclusion into your datafile, Reiji.

To everyone else, have a nice night for now and I'll be back proper in a whole bunch of hours. :)

Kunoichi

One more question for you for when you get back, then, wander, or for Guancyto if he logs on and sees it.  Basically, I was looking over a few different heroes recently to get a better grasp on where the numbers are on some powers and I noted that the Hulk has Leaping at d10.  Since that sets d10 as the minimum needed to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound (since the Hulk can leap for miles once he gets up to speed), would nudging Ace's Leaping up by a single die size from d8 to d10 be too much, or...? ^^; I already have Flight, so not getting the d10 won't really mess with my performance at all, it's mostly just a flavor concern.

Quote from: wander on January 04, 2016, 08:50:31 PM
Alot to catch up on here, so I'll have a proper read through and add more tomorrow, though the tracking device is used on the Spiderman datafile in the Basic Game book... I'll look it up and see how fitting it'd be for inclusion into your datafile, Reiji.

The Tracking Device SFX in Spidey's datafile is more of a 'plant a bug on the badguy's costume to track him back to his lair' effect, rather than the videogame-esque target lock ability that Reiji's looking for, unfortunately.  Modeling it as a Complication, rather than an Asset, might work better mechanically, though.

Guancyto

There's a lot here!

Kuno, I'll agree with wander that I like the revamped Ace a lot (and yeah, bump your Leaping because it's not a big difference either way).
For Venusite, one of your fellows suggested Ascendant-O's but that might be a little bit too evil.

Hmm, milestones for her (just spitballing ideas here, for a woman out of time)...

1 XP silver age: You are stymied or confounded by modern technology or culture (what is this 'why fie hot spot' and what does it have to do with those cameras?)
10 XP silver age: You have to choose between the principles you know are correct and what the modern world tells you is correct, and stand by your decision (No, you move)

3 XP comic book hero: You make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers (with the power of my SUPER-WEAVING, I'll...)

Reiji, could you PM me details on the organization in the game the character came from? I'd like to get a feel for what narrative role they might fill.
Shade, couldn't your bunnygirl solve all her problems by finding a relative and getting them to punch her in the face? (Actually wait, that's perfect.)

Premier

I took a wild swing at it!

Name: Tabitha
Hero Name: Doc Tabby

Affiliations:
Solo        d6
Buddy   d8
Team    d10

Distinctions:
"I'll show them! I'll show them all!"
The Great Project’s greatest failure
Not a real Doctor

Power Sets:
ONE SMART KITTY

- Sorcery  D10
- Mimic     D10

SFX: Doesn't mind Sharing. When you activate an opportunity to create a resource, step up that resource die. If another player gives you 1 pp, their hero may also use this resource.
SFX: Incredible Intuition. When using Mimic to create assets or complications, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: Trust me, I’m a Doctor. Add sorcery to your dice pool when helping others recover stress. Spend 1 PP to recover your own or another’s Physical Stress or step back your own or another’s Physical Trauma by –1.

Limit: THAT SHOULDN'T BE BEEPING: Change ONE SMART KITTY into a complication to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover that power.
Limit: Only a little bit mad. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using ONE SMART KITTY.

SELF EXPERIMENTATION

Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Senses   D8
Enhanced Stamina  D8
Enhanced Strength  D8

SFX - Pushed to the limit - Step up or double any SELF EXPERIMENTATION die on your next roll, or spend 1 PP to do both, then shutdown that power. Recover Power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
SFX - Cat-Like Reflexes - Spend 1 PP to add Enhanced Reflexes (or step up by +1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice when taking an action.

Limit: Not quite perfect. Shut down SELF EXPERIMENTATION to gain 1 PP. Recover power during a Transition Scene (preferably by eating).

Specialties:
Acrobatics Expert   d8
Medical Master       d10
Mystic Master        d10
Science Master      d10
Tech Master           d10

Milestones:

Finishing the Great Project

1 XP - When an ally becomes a test subject by making use of a resource created through your Medical, Mystic, Science or Tech specialties.
3 XP - When you test out an experiment on yourself
10 XP - When you pass up the chance at Perfection to support friends, or betray your friends for a chance at Perfection.

Insecure (Even for a cat)

1 XP - When you explain something that didn’t need an explanation
3 XP - When you try to beat someone at something they’re clearly better at.
10 XP - When showing off how smart you are causes a major disaster, or you fix a major disaster just to show off how smart you are.

Premier

Tabitha came from a planet that was once used as a giant testing lab by a Cosmic Power to try create the perfect being. The experiment was abandoned as a failure but kept for monitoring just in case. As the lab subjects slowly manage to free themselves and read the notes left behind, they’ve had to puzzle together an explanation for what their lives are about without a proper reference point. Tabitha was the closest they got to success and wasn't very popular because of it, especially since she wasn't angry at the creators like most of the survivors, she just wanted to prove she was better than them and could finish what they couldn't.

Tabitha ended up on Earth by happy accident, she was searching for the Creators and assumed that life on Earth might be them. She managed to teleport herself across the universe and while she didn’t find what she was looking for has enjoyed Earth a hell of a lot more, such that she’s no desire to go back.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Guancyto on January 05, 2016, 04:31:42 AM
There's a lot here!

Kuno, I'll agree with wander that I like the revamped Ace a lot (and yeah, bump your Leaping because it's not a big difference either way).
For Venusite, one of your fellows suggested Ascendant-O's but that might be a little bit too evil.

Hmm, milestones for her (just spitballing ideas here, for a woman out of time)...

1 XP silver age: You are stymied or confounded by modern technology or culture (what is this 'why fie hot spot' and what does it have to do with those cameras?)
10 XP silver age: You have to choose between the principles you know are correct and what the modern world tells you is correct, and stand by your decision (No, you move)

3 XP comic book hero: You make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers (with the power of my SUPER-WEAVING, I'll...)

That first 1xp Milestone option conflicts a bit with Ace's Tech Expert d8 Specialty, but there's a narrative reason for it to still work.  Basically, having been raised as a member of an advanced alien society, Ace was naturally given all sorts of in-story knowledge about alien civilizations and advanced science and technology.  When she was brought to life in a magical ritual, said ritual also transferred to her the necessary knowledge to allow her skillset to function in real life, so she still possesses enough scientific and technical knowledge to figure out on her own how modern technology works.

That said, just because she can comprehend how a device works doesn't mean that she understands the design principles that it was built upon, so she could still be left mystified as to why, say, everyone's portable telephones are shaped like flat little rectangles, or why they built cameras into the things but not any other possible sensor options.  In fact, I'd say that those options all fit pretty well for what I wanted the Silver Age Sensibilities Milestone to represent. ^^

The other Milestone, which I'm thinking I'll just rename to 'Living Fiction', would hopefully be more about her status as a semi-famous individual and how she deals with being thrust into a world where she was a frequent recurring character in a number of comic books, TV shows and movies.  People already knowing her name and secret identity, having formed positive or negative impressions on her based on some of those previous portrayals, that sort of thing.  I'm thinking she's probably treating it all like a big adventure, at the moment, so the 10xp Milestone might involve finally returning home or making the decision to stay and make a new life for herself in this brave new world she's been brought into...

wander

I think the two new girls look okay... I think for Tabitha she could stand perhaps having another Limit or maybe consolidate her sfxs on the second Power-Set, I kinda think usually having no more than one extra sfx compared to Limits is a good way to go. However, she's pretty fine.

I haven't looked over anyone's Milestones yet, so at some point I'll try and help with them. For people not in the know, there are limits to the amount of times you can hit a Milestone xp marker.

Quote1xp = You can hit these as much as you like. It's who your character is from the start.

3xp = Once per scene limit on this one. It's something that comes up often with the character, though isn't what is in the public's mind right away when thinking about that comic character. It is often used to represent some character development in a story arc.

10xp = Once... When you hit this, the Milestone is classed as completed and you will need to replace it. They usually have a difficult choice at the end and represent a personal character-based arc in a series.

A Milestone is basically an arc of your character in the story, aside from the mainplot, basically that character's subplots. So keep that in mind when making them. :)

Premier

I've bumped out Focus on her second powerset. If only because I didn't think of a silly name for it.

wander

I'll be digging out my old notepad and posting up my guy Kitt from the dead-tree copy I have of him. ^^

He's maybe a little weak for this game, he has one Power-Set and all d8s for Powers. However, he has a good set of powers that can be used imaginatively and every team needs a Hawkeye so the mooks can go for the weak one, ammirite?  ::)

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

ReijiTabibito

And one robot.

...perhaps I should rethink this...just so I can know for assurance purposes, what characters do we have right now?

Crash

Premier

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 05, 2016, 01:30:57 PM
And one robot.

...perhaps I should rethink this...just so I can know for assurance purposes, what characters do we have right now?

One Blaster. With the power of EXPLOSIONS.
One Paragon. Basically Superwoman.
One Scrapper. Bunny Queen Brawler.
One Powersuit. The Serious Militaryish one.
One Gadgeteer. Not a Mad Scientist. Honest.

wander

My guy is a 'warp bubble' guy; he has forcefields and can teleport, along with Invisibility via light refracting field. Also spatial awareness via Senses d8.

Using Ulquiorra from Bleach as a face-claim.

Crash

Quote from: Premier on January 05, 2016, 01:41:13 PM
One Blaster. With the power of EXPLOSIONS.
One Paragon. Basically Superwoman.
One Scrapper. Bunny Queen Brawler.
One Powersuit. The Serious Militaryish one.
One Gadgeteer. Not a Mad Scientist. Honest.

My plan is for a shapeshifter.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: wander on January 05, 2016, 01:46:53 PM
My guy is a 'warp bubble' guy; he has forcefields and can teleport, along with Invisibility via light refracting field. Also spatial awareness via Senses d8.

Using Ulquiorra from Bleach as a face-claim.

So Mr.Invisible.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

Add teleportation in and yeah, pretty much... A lil different from the Sue Storm datafile mind. I'll look to posting him up tomorrow after I find his sheet.

Kunoichi

Alright, I've edited my character sheet a bit.  Here are the only changes I've made to it:

QuoteMilestones:
Living Fiction
1 XP:
3 XP:
10 XP:

Silver Age Sensibilities
1 XP: You use an especially corny catchphrase or make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers.
3 XP: You are stymied or confounded by some aspect of modern technology or culture.
10 XP: You have to choose between the principles you know are correct and what the modern world tells you is correct, and stand by your decision.

wander

Kunoichi

Guancyto's the one who really gets all the credit for it. All I did was figure out a good way to fit all three of his Milestone suggestions together into a single package. ^^;

Quote from: Premier on January 05, 2016, 12:13:01 PM
I've bumped out Focus on her second powerset. If only because I didn't think of a silly name for it.

As a quick question, is the Sorcery power in Doc Tabby's One Smart Kitty power set meant to represent her having actual skill in the mystic arts, or is it meant to be more like the old line about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic?  If it's the latter, it might fit better if you take the Elemental Manipulation power instead, and pick something like Advanced Technology as the element for it.

Crash

Premier

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 05, 2016, 09:38:01 PM
Guancyto's the one who really gets all the credit for it. All I did was figure out a good way to fit all three of his Milestone suggestions together into a single package. ^^;

As a quick question, is the Sorcery power in Doc Tabby's One Smart Kitty power set meant to represent her having actual skill in the mystic arts, or is it meant to be more like the old line about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic?  If it's the latter, it might fit better if you take the Elemental Manipulation power instead, and pick something like Advanced Technology as the element for it.

It's pretty much just me stealing Forge's intuitive tech building from his powersheet, which is the power Tabby has.

ReijiTabibito

I will note, in echo of Premier, that in another Marvel RPG (the Universe, which Kunoichi is familiar with), Forge's official datafile in that game also has him capable of using actual sorcery, like Docs Doom and Strange.

Kunoichi

True, but reading over his backstory, he seems to get that from having been trained as a Native American shaman, rather than it being a part of his mutant techno powers.  The mutant powers seem to mostly be covered by Mimic and Enhanced Senses.

That said, I don't think we have any mystically-based characters on the team yet, either, so having one of Doc Tabby's numerous falsified doctorates be in the magical arts and tacking on Mystic Master d10 as a specialty might also be a fun option.  In comic books, they do often tend to explain magic as just another science that we don't properly understand yet...

Premier

That is certainly an option! I suppose it wouldn't make sense for her to ignore magic like most scientists do since she isn't on a quest for knowledge exactly.

It'd also mean I can have Cat Girl Doctor Strange troubles. Which I am not opposed to.

Kunoichi

It would probably be fitting for your character's general flavor to tack on Mystic Resistance d8 to your Self Experimentation power set as well, in that case.  Most mystical characters seem to have a general resistance to having magic be used against them, from what I'm seeing.

Premier

That wouldn't fit her, because if she was resistant she'd have more difficulty experimenting on herself. I'll leave that to more something I might use a PP on, rather than an all the time thing. She's got Sorcery, she can do a protection spell in she really needs it but fighting mystical forces isn't really her go to thing. It just happens sometimes.

A nice suggestion though!

Premier

How's the milestones by the way? I wasn't sure what exactly was appropriate so I gave it my best guess.

Kunoichi

Keeping in mind what wander said about the frequency with which Milestones can be cashed in, the 1 XP and 3 XP options on Finishing the Great Project both seem like things that you'd only really be hitting once in any given scene, to be honest.  Stealing the 1 XP option from Reed Richards' 'For Science!' Milestone might be a fun alternate option, though in your case you'd want to add on your Mystic specialty to it as well.

Insecure (Even for a cat) looks great, though. ^^

Premier

Don't have the books in front of me so don't know what that says!

The Great Project milestone is meant to be about what she wants (Insecure is who she is) and that's to work towards becoming the perfect being her Creator wanted her to be. Would the Reed Richards ones fit into that?

Kunoichi

The one from Reed Richards is '1 XP when you reveal a new stunt associated with your Medical, Science or Tech Specialties.'  You'd probably want to add Mystic onto that list if you decided to take it.  Since it's explicitly only for new stunts, it could be used to represent your character gradually gaining more knowledge about how the universe works and how to apply it for a wide variety of purposes, thus bringing herself one step closer to Perfection each time it applies...

Alternately, you might also try changing the wording on your existing 1 XP listing a bit to give it the same overall feel, but make it so that it applies more often.  Tying it to a game mechanic might be one good way to do it; for example, having an ally spend 1 PP to activate that one special effect of yours and make use of a Science or Tech resource that you've created might be one way to help out another character while also learning something to improve yourself in the process, right?

Premier

That was the intention yeah! It’s actually just a sneaky way of saying “Use your friends as lab rats” but in a way that’s actually Tabitha being nice. I'll think on it.

Kunoichi

Ab, then you could probably just make it '1 XP when an ally becomes a test subject by making use of a resource created through your Medical, Mystic, Science or Tech specialties.' and it would work just fine. ^^

wander

*fistbumps Kunoichi*

I'll be popping out for the day fairly soon, though when I'm back I'll post my character this evening. I remember when I last looked him over I was wondering about changing their Distinctions. I've generally been fairly happy with him though. :)

Premier

Thanks for the help! I guess I have a character now. I like the creation system too, really helped me flesh them out properly

Crash

I think I will bow out.  You have plenty of characters and I can't seem to come up with a concept I love right now.

wander

Kitt;
Formerly a shy and artistic geek of a guy, due to a quirk of fate, had his long dormant alien gene from past ancestors awakened, bleaching his skin marble-white and turning his hair a dark shade of navy-blue. He has a guilt-complex (he also suffers from dissociation and in the middle of action just stop or have his reactions dulled, he has been compared due to his marble skin to a statue more than once), perhaps for some past event he at present doesn't wish to share. He tends to blame issues on himself rather than the root cause whenever he manage it... Because of this he appears as mopey and likes to sleep in. He comes out when he can see he's being useful and dreams of being a big hero and finding some acceptance in his life.

http://orig03.deviantart.net/0ed3/f/2011/040/9/b/back_in_black___ulquiorra_by_byaku17-d395x8h.jpg

Affiliations
Solo d8, Buddy d10, Team d6

Distinctions;
Illusive Artist
Jumps the Gun
Gawky Otaku

Power-Set: Warp Bubbles
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Senses d8
Invisibility d8
Teleport d8

Sfx: Over-reaching: Add a doom die to a dicepool that uses a Warp Bubble power. Step it up before adding it. Return the stepped up die back to the doompool after rolling.

sfx: Big Damn Hero Moment: Spend 1PP for another player to use a Warp Bubble die in their dicepool. If the character happens to take stress, take d6 emotional stress.

Limit: Zones Out: Recieve a dissociation complication to gain a PP. This complication may be stepped up in future turns for additional PP.

Specialties;
Cosmic Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Science Expert d8

Milestones;

Professional Slacker
1xp: when you make an attempt to go against doing something disagreeable, rather than just doing it.
3xp: when you recover stress by sleeping
10xp: when you make a hard sacrifice for someone you care about or you forsake your relationship for something meaningful to you.

Guilt-Complex
1xp: when you self-deprecate.
3xp: when you activate 'Dissociation' for a Plot Point.
10xp: when you realise the major trouble happening is not your fault after all or you face a major defeat specifically down to the actions you took.

LuckyLukin

I'm having difficulty coming up with a character from the disparate elements that I have.

Primary Abilities

Fighting: Excelent

Agility: Good

Strength: Typical

Endurance: Feeble

Reason: Excellent

Intuition: Remarkable

Pyche: Remarkable

Powers

Resistance to Radiation (100 Remarkable)
Body Alterations/Defensive (Recovery)
Body Alterations/Offensive (Extra Body Parts)

Tallents

Professional: Psychiatry
Fighting Skills: Martial Arts E

My biggest issue is that this is supposed to be a Hi-Tech hero, so I'm having difficulty in figuring out how this would work. Like what equipment would it be and how would he/she have come by it?

Kunoichi

Quote from: LuckyLukin on January 06, 2016, 06:44:36 PM
I'm having difficulty coming up with a character from the disparate elements that I have.

I think that you're looking at the wrong system entirely, actually.  It looks like you're working on a character for the old TSR Marvel RPG, but the game is being run with a more recent system known as Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

LuckyLukin

Then that would make sense. I'll take a look for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, hopefully that'll be the right one and I'll get a character together from there.

ShadowFox89

Well, if work is slow tomorrow, I'll work on milestones and a backstory for Whitney....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

After thinking over my Affiliations for a bit, I decided that they weren't that good a fit for Ace and decided to reshuffle them around on my character sheet.  Acting as someone else's partner tends to end up with Ace getting captured and tied up, and occasionally suspended in some death trap or something like that, so I lowered her Buddy Affiliation to d6.  I'm thinking she had her own solo series for a time where she was much more successful, though, so her Solo Affiliation is getting raised to d10, and that leaves a d8 for Team, which I think I can justify pretty easily by coming up with wacky names for super-groups that she's either cooperated with or been a part of, like the time-traveling League of Future Super-Heroes, or the Teen Titans-esque Sidekick Society of America. :P

I also decided to change her Invulnerability SFX to be pierced through by mystical attacks, since she's already got a Limit focused on the fact that being a creation of magic makes her rather weak to magical effects, herself.

Name: Ace the Wonder-Girl

Affiliations:
Solo         d10
Buddy      d6
Team      d8

Distinctions:
Comic Book Superhero
Extraterrestrial Powerhouse
Vivacious Maiden of Venus

Power Sets:
RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION
- Gamma Laser Eyebeams d8
- Space Flight d12
- Radiation Resistance d10
- X-Ray Vision d10
SFX: Laser Eyebeam Sweep. When making an attack action that includes the Gamma Laser Eyebeams die in the pool, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Radiation Absorption. On a successful reaction against a Radiation-based attack action, convert your opponent's effect die into a RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION stunt or step up a RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power by +1 for your next action. Spend 1 PP to use this stunt if your opponent's action succeeds.
SFX: Radiation Boost. Shutdown your highest rated RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power to step up another RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power by +1. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Conscious Activation. If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION. Recover RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION when stress is recovered or you awake. If Physical Trauma is taken, shutdown RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION until trauma is recovered.
Limit: Empty Reserves. Shutdown any RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Venusite! My Only Weakness! When in the presence of the fictional radioactive element Venusite, change any RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power into a complication and gain 1 PP.  Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY
- Superhuman Durability d10
- Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound d10
- Enhanced Reflexes d8
- Superhuman Senses d10
- Godlike Stamina d12
- Godlike Strength d12
SFX: Comic Book Super-Strength. Double Godlike Strength for an action. If the action fails, add the highest-rolling die to the doom pool.
SFX: Impulsive. Add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you're done.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY power, you may move your Physical Stress to the doom pool and step up the VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY power by +1 for this action.
SFX: Venusian Invulnerability. Spend 1 PP to ignore Physical Stress or Trauma results unless caused by mystical attacks.
Limit: Mystical Construct. Step up stress or complications caused by any mystical attack to gain 1 PP.
Limit: Sidekick Syndrome. Step up any complication that would entrap or restrict your movements (including hypnotism and mind control) or use only the single highest-rolling die when calculating reactions against attempts to create or step up such complications and gain 1 PP. Additionally, you cannot use Godlike Strength as part of the die pool when attempting to remove such complications.
Limit: Venusite Poisoning. When suffering a Venusite complication, shutdown Superhuman Durability, Enhanced Reflexes, and Godlike Stamina and take d6 Physical stress per turn. Recover the power traits upon removing the complication.

Specialties:
Cosmic Master d10
Psych Expert d8
Science Expert d8
Tech Expert d8

Milestones:
Living Fiction
1 XP when you are stymied or confounded by some aspect of real world technology or culture.
3 XP when someone uses their knowledge of the comic book world you are from to inflict Stress or Complications upon you.
10 XP when you successfully find a means to return to your original, fictional Earth, or you decide to give up the search and make a new, permanent home as a hero on this Earth instead.

Silver Age Sensibilities
1 XP when you make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers or use an antiquated exclamation in place of swearing.
3 XP when you pretend to fall for a villain's tricks in order to trick them into revealing their evil schemes, or you try to convince others to do the same.
10 XP when your outdated notions of heroism lead you to cause a major disaster, or when they lead you to stop a major disaster and save the day.

Guancyto

...is it wrong that I really want to make a villain that's a robotic wind turbine who also really likes comic books, so their first line can be, "Ace! I'm a huge fan!"

(This should also prepare you for the caliber of jokes in this game.)

Wander, I like your submission, consider the position of dam- er, dude in distress to be filled.

ReijiTabibito

So, basically Air Man from MM2 combined with Freakazoid's Fanboy?

As per GM advice, I'm scrapping the current Milestone Darclight has (Foe of the Deathmarks), which means now I need 2 Milestones to come up with...

...inspiration?  Are you there?  Can you be speaking through other people?

Kunoichi

Milestones really seem to be the toughest part of character creation for a lot of people (myself included). ^^;

Premier

Two ways to do them by my guess.

Either as a set of "Who I am?" and "What I want?" milestones. So one is centered on your characters personality and the other on what they want out of life.

Other is "What I want?" and "Why do I want it?". So what they want out of life and whatever messed up thing in the past that got them to that point (That'll keep turning up of course)

Since Darclight seems to be the Straight Man of the group, maybe go with that and another milestone about doing your Duty vs Remaining true to friends? Depends on how you want to play the character I guess!

wander

There was, back in the day of 2012, a thread on rpg.net called something like 'Help with Milestones' and it talked about all kinds of ways to help out with that. There may be some googling you can do of fanpages that may inspire too.

Another thing is to look at everyone else's Milestones here, maybe check out some datafiles you can find online, see how they were made and maybe even take some bits and pieces from other sources and reskin them.

Kitt's Guilt-Complex Milestone is very similar if not just a reskin of one of Reed Richard's Milestones, for example.

ReijiTabibito

I do have one idea for a Milestone, depending on what the GM has to say about it - and it would also help determine whether or not I have to change one of Darclight's Distinctions.  Maybe two.

One of the ideas I had - since at the current moment, Team is leading as Darclight's d10 Affiliation - was that he led a superhero team at some point in the history of the universe prior to now.  When all the bad guys were locked up, the team disbanded, and a couple of them actually left Earth to head for other places to fight evil (while Darclight stayed behind).

With this breakout, one of Darclight's goals would be to put that team back together.  Not necessarily with the same members (unless one of the other players wants to have been on that team as well), but reform and announce to the world that they're back and ready to make the bad guys run.  The only issue is that I worry if that's going to happen automatically, which isn't quite the point of a Milestone.

GM?  What do you think?  Yes/no?

wander

You could have one based around reliving past glories or leaving the past behind?

Another one could be about dealing with doing things on your own rather than have a team behind you, long as you don't go Lone Wolf it could be interesting.

Things to ask yourself are... If your character was in a team book and an issue was dedicated to a subplot of theirs, that they were in a filler issue dealing with their one day out... What kind of plots would you want to cover if you were writing that issue/series?

ReijiTabibito

Not quite that first one.  Robots aren't really given to emotional, nostalgic things.

I was flipping through the canon datafiles I have on hand to get some inspiration - Iron Man's Bleeding Edge Tech might be something worthwhile.  1xp for shutting down a Power; 3xp for recovering a Power Set after using an SFX, or after shutting down all the powers in a set; 10xp for ditching the armor or defeating a villain with all powers shutdown.

Hmmmm...

Guancyto

I should point out (possibly for my own reference later) that Events are set up by the Watcher and function about the same way as milestones.

So even if your milestones aren't good (or even if you don't have them when we first start out and fill them in later) you can win points by following the plot and whatnot.

ReijiTabibito

I know.  But I need to have at least something in mind to build on so that I don't have to worry about relying on Events for XP.

wander

What will be your character's motivations? Why risk going out fighting villians when they could safe? Answering that may lead you to think on Milestones. Do you have a character bio/backstory sorted? That will also lead to some thoughts when making up Milestones.

One thing I liked from another game, DC Adventures, is that in that you gain experience through the complications in your life, whether they be an SO that keeps needing to be kept safe, having to juggle secret identities, a specific weakness your character has... Are they addicted to something/need to seek something out, do they have a disability, some element in their life that gets in the way of things or some other kind of responsibility to enact... A code of honour to uphold, a fear of something... How much do they value their reputation...

I know not all of these will apply to your character, but having something like that to think on not only helps with Milestones but makes your super that much more humanised.

There's something about MHR that makes people wanna instantly go for pressing the 'I win!' button when making a character, but honestly having a fun character with the odd quirk makes the game so much better.

Heh, so I kinda went on a tangent there, though the above and seeing if you can answer those thoughts may really help direct when it comes to Milestones.

I hope this helped, at least. :)

Guancyto

Some setting notes I had thought of.

Like so many Earths, the rise of superpowered individuals was the beginning of a very strange time, with giant robots, catgirls, magic and aliens, and dastardly plots to replace all the Earth's cookies with vegetables etc etc.

At some point during this great mass of shenanigans the human populace collectively did a double-take and said wait, what? Aliens? This didn't pass unnoticed with everyone just shrugging and going back to their lives because holy shit, there was a universe out there. It was a little like discovering that you had lived in New Jersey your entire life and that didn't actually have to be the case, with massive superhero money and superhero expertise going into a veritable explosion of human space programs (also some literal explosions, thanks to engineered-human test subjects). A ton of the high-minded heroes decided to explore the universe (because holy fuck explore the universe) and a lot of the less high-minded took off for the equivalent of a vacation in Thailand (yes, there are green alien space babes (and hunks)). Some come back and visit, some live like gods on feral worlds where in fairness they really are close enough to gods, and some discovered that Maineworld is just fine, thank you.

Because so many superheroes have emigrated, StellarWiki is of the prevailing opinion that all humans have superpowers and is very resistant to attempts to explain otherwise (no original sources!)

But that does mean that the current crop of superpowered individuals on Earth is a little more... limited. A lot less 'cosmic.' But that's fine, right? The supervillains are locked up and the superheroes responded to "wait, we've still got problems here on earth" with "Oh you're right. Wait, we have superpowers, how many drug cartels do you need us to punch? All of them? Okay be right back."

That is, until the possibly immortal light-entity calling itself ZOHAR (very insistent on all capitals) decided to let a ton of supervillains out and a surprising number of supervillain prisons (being designed to entrap specific powersets) proved particularly vulnerable to massively overpowered lasers. Not the really foul ones, but that was really a matter of perspective, wasn't it? The Vege-Might (who was the first to be broken out) was going to drown the earth in noxious food paste, which was probably worse than Doctor Murder (who stayed in lock-up; dark secret: he really only has an associate's degree) who just really wanted to kill everyone.

wander

Heh, I love it ^^

Reads a little like the ol' Hitchhikers Guide there. :)

ReijiTabibito

I can just picture it now.  Defeating the villain by taunting it to death.

"You must be Zohar..."

Kunoichi

Ah, so the kill-happy bronze age villains are all still safely contained, while the dangerous, absurdly-powerful weirdos have been set free.  Though it sounds like Ace won't find herself quite so out of place on this Earth as she might be on current DC or Marvel comics Earth...

I'm guessing that superhero comics didn't get quite the same absurd share of the American comics market in this world as it did in the real one?  With real superheroes running around, there was probably less of an interest in fictional ones in general, and no moral panic surrounding them would then go on to mean no Comics Code Authority.  So science fiction and fantasy comics are probably a little bigger in this world, and Ace was probably just one name out of a big list of old superheroes from the sixties and seventies to most people, until someone used magic to make her real.

On the bright side, that does help out with adding a little more direction to my 'Living Fiction' Milestone. ^^ Plus, since I looked up some old silver age Superman comics and read through them, I also got an idea for a few changes I could make to my Silver Age Sensibilities Milestone to make it more accurate.  So, here's the latest edit I made to my character sheet:

Edit: Actually, after working on it a little more, it looks like I've managed to completely fill out my Milestones. ^^ What do you all think?

Milestones:
Living Fiction
1 XP when you are stymied or confounded by some aspect of real world technology or culture.
3 XP when someone uses their knowledge of the comic book world you are from to inflict Stress or Complications upon you.
10 XP when you successfully find a means to return to your original, fictional Earth, or you decide to give up the search and make a new, permanent home as a hero on this Earth instead.

Silver Age Sensibilities
1 XP when you make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers or use an antiquated exclamation in place of swearing.
3 XP when you pretend to fall for a villain's tricks in order to trick them into revealing their evil schemes, or you try to convince others to do the same.
10 XP when your outdated notions of heroism lead you to cause a major disaster, or when they lead you to stop a major disaster and save the day.

Premier

I really love this one.

Quote1 XP when you make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers or use an antiquated exclamation in place of swearing.

Super-Knitting is a go!

As for how comics grown up, moral panic would still happen even if they're real. In fact it'd likely have continued on much longer. Think of famous sports personalities today and how much of a furore there is if they're shown as even swearing, let alone actually being immoral. If crime fighting supers are real, comics showing them as bad people might actually be rather rare, if only because it'd question the legitimacy of them at all.

It's very unlikely this world had a Dark Age of comics and that was more of a fringe edge to comics for people who just don't like Supers personally, Watchmen could actually have been considered an accusation that Supers were making up threats to keep the public scared after all and becomes even more edgy than it was at the time. You'd get Anti-Heroes, but Anti-Heroes who are shown to be in the right rather than something like Irredeemable.

I can definitely see Super Fiction taking even more of the niche that Sci Fi did, so that wonderfully optimistic 50's space exploration Sci Fi would have Super's in it and I can see Ace being from that era. Maybe she didn't just fight crime, but explored the galaxy too.

TheFourthShade

I think our apathy towards sports heroes' crimes and misbehavior would just mean the 'moral ages' would have died faster in a world with superheroes.

Kunoichi

My basic line of thought on this is that, first, superhero comics only wound up dominating the American comics market in the real world due to the Comics Code Authority making it impossible for the lion's share of their competition in the market space to get their material published, and second, that a world where superheroes were real would change up the economic and social dynamics enough to make it unlikely that something like the Comics Code Authority would come into being.  There probably was still a moral panic of some sort, but it would be less focused around comic books, and probably more focused around things like superhero registration acts, or something along those lines.  Or at least, that's what I was thinking.

As for the comics Ace was in, she would have stuck around Earth in her series, but that's mostly due to the overall plotlines that both hers and Captain Paragon's series had.  Basically, Captain Paragon originally took up that name because he was a Captain in the military on his homeworld of Venus.  Home to an oppressive, isolationist regime, Venus was ready to start up an expansionist phase by conquering their nearest habitable neighbor in the solar system, Earth, and they treated the Captain with a special super soldier infusion that gave him his ability to absorb and transmogrify radiation.  When he arrived on Earth, he found that he gained additional super-powers once freed of the oppressive atmosphere on Venus, and after getting a taste of good old American Freedom, he decided to start falsifying his reports to try and dissuade Venusian High Command from invading and make a new life for himself on Earth as a Paragon of justice.

Ace herself first appeared in the multi-part story 'The Trial of Captain Paragon', where it was revealed that she was the Captain's favorite cousin, living back on Venus, whom he had been sending letters detailing the truth about what he was up to on Earth.  Ace's wicked stepmother found some of those letters while snooping around her room one day, and quickly turned them in to Venusian High Command, which lead to an exciting conclusion to the first act of the story when the Venusian Military Police arrived on Earth and used their own Venusian super-powers and advanced alien technology to apprehend him.  He was dragged back to Venus and put on trial for high treason, and after a fantastical trial in which Ace herself pretended to betray her cousin by operating as chief witness for the prosecution so that she could learn the details of what they were planning and help to foil them, the Captain was eventually stripped of his rank and dishonorably discharged, but given the punishment of permanent exile to Earth, rather than the death sentence that High Command had originally been planning.  Also, she managed to get them to seriously postpone their invasion plans, too.

Ace herself initially made the decision to stay back on Venus in order to help inspire the Venusian people to reform their government, but reader response to her was strong enough that she made a reappearance a few issues later, having been given the same radiation infusion as her cousin and then smuggled to Earth by the newly-formed Venusian Resistance.  She's been his partner ever since, though the writers of the main line of Captain Paragon Comics mostly used her as a device to help ramp up the odds against the Captain himself, having her get captured or hypnotized, or turned into a colossal lumbering fish monster so that the Captain could further prove his heroism by making some clever use of his powers to save the day.  Especially after she became popular enough to get her own solo title, since then she had her own book where they could put the adventures that were more focused around showing her worth as a hero while keeping the main book all about the Captain himself.

So Captain Paragon and his sidekick, Ace the Wonder-Girl, were more specifically written as defenders of the Earth than anything else, and while Ace has a lot of knowledge about alien civilizations due to having been raised in one, she doesn't actually have much experience exploring them.

Premier

I eagerly await the inevitable adventure where we all get transported to the comic world and have to be the ones who are fish out of water for a change. Well as long as it doesn't got all Twilight Zone/Justice League on us.

Kunoichi

Guancyto

I like all of these ideas! *rubs hands and cackles*

So it looks like there are a lot of completed or mostly-completed sheets and backgrounds, how does everyone feel about getting started early next week or so, say Monday or Tuesday or so?

wander

Kunoichi

ReijiTabibito

I'm up for getting the game started.  I'm just working on resolving Milestones for my character, and trying to maybe find one more limit to use with one of Darclight's Power Sets.

As note.  Here's the Milestones I've got lined up as potentials for Darclight right now.  You'll notice that some of them are missing an XP trigger.  I'm willing to take suggestions for these particular blanks.

RIDERS ON THE STORM
Stormwatch was once the name in heroic teams.  They're gone now...but nothing is truly gone as long as it is remembered.

1xp - Identify a Watcher character as either an ally, member, or enemy of Stormwatch
3xp - ? ? ?
10xp - Announce to the world (after convincing enough heroes to join you) that Stormwatch has returned - or give up any hope of putting Stormwatch back together.

BEEN A LONG, LONG YEAR
Over the years, heroes fight a lot of villains.  Darclight hasn't been any exception to that - and the lack of family to take out fiendish vengeance upon means all that trouble is headed his way.

1xp - Identify a particular villain as an old foe.
3xp - Either deal trauma to or take trauma from your chosen foe.
10xp - ? ? ?

RUN SIX NIGHTS
In one of the most stunning exploits of his career, Darclight defeated - in six nights - six villains who had teamed up to bring the soldier from space down.  They're back, and once again, ready to destroy him.

1xp - Identify a villain as belonging to that particular villainous team-up.
3xp - when you engage with enemies from this old team, who are using the TEAM Affiliation against you.
10xp - defeat them all again, in six nights, or admit you can't do it alone anymore and bring in help from allies.

IGNORANCE CANNOT DICTATE THE COURSE OF MEN
Science.  It is the future.

1xp - whenever you first use your Science Specialty to create an Asset or a Resource.
3xp - ? ? ?
10xp - whenever your Science Specialty saves the day...or causes it to blow up in everyone's face.

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 08, 2016, 11:51:11 PM
I'm up for getting the game started.  I'm just working on resolving Milestones for my character, and trying to maybe find one more limit to use with one of Darclight's Power Sets.

As note.  Here's the Milestones I've got lined up as potentials for Darclight right now.  You'll notice that some of them are missing an XP trigger.  I'm willing to take suggestions for these particular blanks.

RIDERS ON THE STORM
Stormwatch was once the name in heroic teams.  They're gone now...but nothing is truly gone as long as it is remembered.

1xp - Identify a Watcher character as either an ally, member, or enemy of Stormwatch
3xp - ? ? ?
10xp - Announce to the world (after convincing enough heroes to join you) that Stormwatch has returned - or give up any hope of putting Stormwatch back together.

Hmm.  Given the 10 XP note, perhaps a good option for the 3 XP one would be asking a hero or team of heroes to help you rebuild Stormwatch?

BEEN A LONG, LONG YEAR
Over the years, heroes fight a lot of villains.  Darclight hasn't been any exception to that - and the lack of family to take out fiendish vengeance upon means all that trouble is headed his way.

1xp - Identify a particular villain as an old foe.
3xp - Either deal trauma to or take trauma from your chosen foe.
10xp - ? ? ?

The similar Milestones to this one on Luke Cage and Spider-Man both have 'When you forgive your old for or they beg you for forgiveness and you let them go' as the 10 XP note.  Any particular reason why that one won't work for your Milestone?

RUN SIX NIGHTS
In one of the most stunning exploits of his career, Darclight defeated - in six nights - six villains who had teamed up to bring the soldier from space down.  They're back, and once again, ready to destroy him.

1xp - Identify a villain as belonging to that particular villainous team-up.
3xp - when you engage with enemies from this old team, who are using the TEAM Affiliation against you.
10xp - defeat them all again, in six nights, or admit you can't do it alone anymore and bring in help from allies.

As I noted over PMs, this seems more like a Milestone for an Event or something along those lines, rather than a character Milestone.  It's pretty solid as something event-based, though. ^^

1xp - whenever you first use your Science Specialty to create an Asset or a Resource.
3xp - ? ? ?
10xp - whenever your Science Specialty saves the day...or causes it to blow up in everyone's face.

Looking through the Fifty State Initiative pdf, the character Elsa Bloodstone has a Milestone called The Bloodstone Curator that could be adapted for this one in an interesting way.  Basically, the first two notes on your Milestone would be:

1 XP when you explain something scientific to an ally.
3 XP when you use your Science Specialty to create an Asset or a Resource.

And then the 10XP note would be the same as before.  Does that seem like it could work, or...?

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 10, 2016, 12:29:18 AM
Hmm.  Given the 10 XP note, perhaps a good option for the 3 XP one would be asking a hero or team of heroes to help you rebuild Stormwatch?

That almost seems too easy.  I mean, yeah, alright, the 3xp trigger can happen what, once a Scene?  I wouldn't object to it, but I would worry about it becoming an XP farm as Darclight just pesters his fellow heroes to help him rebuild the team.  Maybe it has to stick?  Or it has to be a group of heroes?  (Qualifiers under TEAM Affiliation)

The similar Milestones to this one on Luke Cage and Spider-Man both have 'When you forgive your old for or they beg you for forgiveness and you let them go' as the 10 XP note.  Any particular reason why that one won't work for your Milestone?

Two reasons - well, one personal reason and one sort-of.  The sort-of is that I'm wondering if it's appropriate for that sort of thing to be happening in a game of this tone.  If I understand the GM correctly, it's based on Brave and the Bold, which is one of those lighter-toned shows.  The personal reason is that...I'm not sure I personally see Darclight as the forgiving type.  It's kind of weird, to me, that they gave this to Luke Cage and Spider-Man.  Cage is on the side of the angels, sure, but he is not a nice guy.  And Spider-Man - he never really struggled much with the 'what happens to the villains now?'  Usually his villains get defeated by him and go to jail, or they get killed by someone else.

As I noted over PMs, this seems more like a Milestone for an Event or something along those lines, rather than a character Milestone.  It's pretty solid as something event-based, though. ^^

That actually brought me an interesting idea - Events where there are Character-specific Milestones.  The thing I'm drawing inspiration from here is Maximum Carnage, which is one of my more favorite Spidey story arcs.  (Even if it is relatively short)  Basically, there's an Event, and a Milestone the GM creates for that Event is set for one specific hero to undertake.  I do have idea for THIS particular Milestone (based again, on Maximum Carnage), if we cast it as an Event, for the GM to hear.

Looking through the Fifty State Initiative pdf, the character Elsa Bloodstone has a Milestone called The Bloodstone Curator that could be adapted for this one in an interesting way.  Basically, the first two notes on your Milestone would be:

1 XP when you explain something scientific to an ally.
3 XP when you use your Science Specialty to create an Asset or a Resource.

And then the 10XP note would be the same as before.  Does that seem like it could work, or...?

Yeah.  That seems like it could work pretty well as a Science-based Milestone.  That reminds me, I've been thinking of switching up one of Darclight's Distinctions.  The 3 he had are: DEFENDER OF LIFE EVERYWHERE; STORMWATCH ORIGINAL GENERATION - RED TEAM LEADER (altered the wording); BROUGHT YOU ALL TOGETHER FOR A PURPOSE.  The lattermost was a more cerebral and manipulation-oriented one, but I'm not sure it's a really appropriate Distinction for this new incarnation.  I was thinking something Science-related.

Thoughts from the assembled table?

wander

On Luke Cage;

His datafile was based on the Breakout arc with that Milestone and he actually never got to hit 10xp with it. He does hit 3xp once when he goes after the Purple Man (of course), Spiderman pulls him off before he can flat-out kill Kilgrave, though trauma was likely inflicted before then.

His On the Job one he does complete by the end as he joins up the New Avengers after originally working I believe as a bodyguard at the arc's start, for Matt Murdock and Foggy Nelson.

His On the Job Milestone was this;

Quote1 XP when you start a Scene working for another hero as an employee.
3XP when you engage with a foe and your employer becomes stressed out.
10 XP when you either quit working for your employer to join a team as an equal or
decline to work with a team in favor of staying in the pay of your employer.

Spiderman's Milestone differed from Luke's as Luke has him give trauma, Parker's 3xp is him receiving it. Indeed he does get beaten to a pulp in the Raft Breakout, around the same time Luke hits his own 3xp.

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 10, 2016, 07:51:29 PM
That almost seems too easy.  I mean, yeah, alright, the 3xp trigger can happen what, once a Scene?  I wouldn't object to it, but I would worry about it becoming an XP farm as Darclight just pesters his fellow heroes to help him rebuild the team.  Maybe it has to stick?  Or it has to be a group of heroes?  (Qualifiers under TEAM Affiliation)

Ah, true, having another hero or team of heroes agree to help you rebuild Stormwatch would probably be a better way to handle it, in that case.

Two reasons - well, one personal reason and one sort-of.  The sort-of is that I'm wondering if it's appropriate for that sort of thing to be happening in a game of this tone.  If I understand the GM correctly, it's based on Brave and the Bold, which is one of those lighter-toned shows.  The personal reason is that...I'm not sure I personally see Darclight as the forgiving type.  It's kind of weird, to me, that they gave this to Luke Cage and Spider-Man.  Cage is on the side of the angels, sure, but he is not a nice guy.  And Spider-Man - he never really struggled much with the 'what happens to the villains now?'  Usually his villains get defeated by him and go to jail, or they get killed by someone else.

I would argue that it actually fits pretty well as far as Brave and the Bold's tone goes, but if you don't see Darclight as the forgiving type, I suppose it can't be helped.  Perhaps your 10 XP note could involve either stopping the hunt for your chosen villain or putting him away for good, then?  That would be a slightly more event-based Milestone, but from what wander's just said, I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a problem...

That actually brought me an interesting idea - Events where there are Character-specific Milestones.  The thing I'm drawing inspiration from here is Maximum Carnage, which is one of my more favorite Spidey story arcs.  (Even if it is relatively short)  Basically, there's an Event, and a Milestone the GM creates for that Event is set for one specific hero to undertake.  I do have idea for THIS particular Milestone (based again, on Maximum Carnage), if we cast it as an Event, for the GM to hear.

Yeah.  That seems like it could work pretty well as a Science-based Milestone.  That reminds me, I've been thinking of switching up one of Darclight's Distinctions.  The 3 he had are: DEFENDER OF LIFE EVERYWHERE; STORMWATCH ORIGINAL GENERATION - RED TEAM LEADER (altered the wording); BROUGHT YOU ALL TOGETHER FOR A PURPOSE.  The lattermost was a more cerebral and manipulation-oriented one, but I'm not sure it's a really appropriate Distinction for this new incarnation.  I was thinking something Science-related.

Thoughts from the assembled table?

'I Never Actually Got My Chemistry Degree' could be a good one, based on what you've told me about your character's history. :P I think that Brought You All Together For A Purpose would still work pretty well, though, if you're still going to be the one trying to bring the team together in this particular game.  If not, then I could see why you might want to replace it.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 10, 2016, 11:12:17 PM
Ah, true, having another hero or team of heroes agree to help you rebuild Stormwatch would probably be a better way to handle it, in that case.

Yeah.  The 1xp trigger just usually requires you to do something simple - talk, use a common SFX, stuff like that.  3xp requires some degree of success, or at least effort invested into the direction the Milestone takes.

I would argue that it actually fits pretty well as far as Brave and the Bold's tone goes, but if you don't see Darclight as the forgiving type, I suppose it can't be helped.  Perhaps your 10 XP note could involve either stopping the hunt for your chosen villain or putting him away for good, then?  That would be a slightly more event-based Milestone, but from what wander's just said, I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a problem...

You think so?  GM!  Can I get a call, over here?  And I can see your point...I might be better off going with some other Milestone.  That 10xp trigger is basically what I had for a previous Milestone I cooked up for Darclight, which Guancyto suggested I set aside as an Event Milestone, rather than a character one.   But maybe...maybe.

'I Never Actually Got My Chemistry Degree' could be a good one, based on what you've told me about your character's history. :P I think that Brought You All Together For A Purpose would still work pretty well, though, if you're still going to be the one trying to bring the team together in this particular game.  If not, then I could see why you might want to replace it.

Yeah.  But I have two combat oriented ones - Defender of Life Everywhere; Stormwatch Original Generation - Red Team Leader (phrasing may or may not be shortened).  So I can theoretically also replace one of those (probably the first) with it.

I also came up with two more - one a pun, the other a reference.

Kiss My Acid-Base Complex
Lavoisier, Mendeleev, Arrhenius?  Morons

wander

He's starting to sound like Machine Man with those distinctions... xD

What I wouldn't do to play Captain in another Nextwave game...  ;D

Premier

I may have introduced the GM to Nextwave over the weekend. I'm not apologizing.

wander

ReijiTabibito

NEXTWAVE:

Suck it, literary criticism!

(Points to anyone who can place this)

Kunoichi

Hmm, so there's something else to add to the list for comics to get around to reading...

TheFourthShade

Is it weird that I like superhero games but I don't really read comics that much?

Kunoichi

Nope, not at all. ^^ There are frequent complaints that the writing in comic books is terrible, so I'd say it's a fairly understandable turn of events.

TheFourthShade

Wrong thread.

wander

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheFourthShade

Wrong thread.

I have a 'wrong side of the clock' schedule, so naturally sometimes I get upside down.

Either that or I've got a very serious brain problem that will end in my death.

Here's hoping I hit the lottery Wednesday.

Guancyto

I don't see any tone issue at all with a milestone centered around making amends with your old enemies. I mean, I know it's backstory but Batman Brave and the Bold introduces Plastic Man, a reformed supervillain, in its what, second episode?

Quote from: Premier on January 11, 2016, 09:03:40 AM
I may have introduced the GM to Nextwave over the weekend. I'm not apologizing.
I may have to drop dropbears on you until you start apologizing.

Okay for finished sheets we have:
Kunoichi, playing Ace, a Paragon and fictional superheroine come to life
Premier, playing Doc Tabs, a Mad Scientist who will never pilot a Timber Wolf
ReijiTabibito, playing Darclight, a Powersuit looking to get the team back together
wander, playing Kitt, a Geek, and a dude in distress
TheFourthShade, playing Kanina, a bunnygirl bounty hunter

For works in progress we have:
shadowfox, playing Whitney, explosion girl

And then some people who have expressed interest but never made anything. Am I missing anyone?

Premier

Quote from: Guancyto on January 12, 2016, 05:28:54 AM
Premier, playing Doc Tabs, a Mad Scientist who will never pilot a Timber Wolf

I see what you did there.

wander

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Premier on January 12, 2016, 07:12:03 AM
I see what you did there.

I did, too.

*not sure if he should boo the GM of the game that's about to start*

Okay.  I think I've all-set my character.  I'll post one last final version of him here, and that will be him at the start of the campaign.

Darclight V2.0

Darclight
Origin: Alien Battle Armor

Affiliations
Solo d8
Buddy d6
Team d10

Distinctions
Stormwatch - Original Generation, Red Team Leader
Kiss My Acid-Base Complex
Brought You All Together For A Purpose

ALIEN BATTLE ARMOR
Enhanced Reflexes d8, Superhuman Durability d10, Superhuman Strength d10, Cybernetic Senses d8, Jump-Jets d10

SFX: Beat the Heat - On a successful reaction against a heat-based energy attack, convert opponent's effect die into an ALIEN BATTLE ARMOR stunt or double a Power for your next roll.  Spend 1PP to gain the benefit on an unsuccessful reaction.

SFX: Internal Nanite Stock - Spend 1 PP to recover your Physical stress and step back your Physical trauma by -1.

SFX: Evasive Maneuvers - Spend 1 PP to add Jump-Jets (or step up by +1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice on a reaction.

SFX: Built for War - Add d6 and step up effect die by +1 when using BATTLE ARMOR powers to inflict Physical stress.

Limit: Zero-Point Energy Divert - Shut down any BATTLE ARMOR power and gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

CRYO-CONTROL UNIT
Cold Weapons d8, Cold Mastery d10, Heat Resistance d10

SFX: Cone of Cold - Target multiple opponents.  For every additional target, add 1d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die.

SFX: Frozen Constructs - When using CRYO-CONTROL UNIT to create cold-related assets, add 1d6 and step up your effect die by +1.

Limit: Cryo Containment Protocols - Shut down a CRYO-CONTROL UNIT power to gain 1 PP; recover by spending 1 PP or during a Transition Scene.

Limit: Ultracoolant Failure - Earn 1 PP and change any CRYO-CONTROL UNIT Power into a Complication or shutdown.  Activate an opportunity or remove the Complication to recover.

AUTONOMOUS ACTION MODE
Armored Battle Suit 2d10

SFX: Emergency Activation. If you have been stressed out in an Action scene, you may spend 1 PP to activate Autonomous Action Mode.

Limit: Mutually Exclusive. Shutdown Alien Battle Armor and Cryo-Control Unit to activate Autonomous Action Mode. Shutdown Autonomous Action Mode to recover Alien Battle Armor and Cryo-Control Unit.

Limit: Limited Autonomous Action. Armored Battle Suit may be targeted individually or by Area Attack SFX. D12 Physical Stress removes a die from Armored Battle Suit power. Recover Armored Battle Suit after a Transition Scene.

Specialties:
Combat Master
Cosmic Expert
Covert Expert
Medical Expert
Science Master

Milestones

RIDERS ON THE STORM

3xp - when one or more characters agree to help you rebuild Stormwatch

1xp - when you explain something scientific to an ally.
3xp - whenever you use your Science Specialty to create an Asset or a Resource.

wander

Just saying, that Autonomous Action Mode seems OP to me...

ReijiTabibito

It's mainly meant as something similar to Shadowcat's To the Rescue SFX for Lockheed - a way to remove Darclight from the Scene if he's stressed out.

wander

So, what power is it supposed to replicate? Teleport, Flight or Endurance? Most datafiles in MHR don't replace the Power name with a descriptor, for ease of knowing what die to use in what situation...

ReijiTabibito

The idea is that the Autonomous mode gains limited control over the suit itself, with the directive to get out of danger.  I basically described an 'emergency escape action' to Kunoichi (who was nice enough to help me out with the character), and this is what she came up with...you'll have to ask her for more.

Premier

How is AUTONOMOUS ACTION MODE a 2d10 power?  I didn't even know that was possible.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Premier on January 12, 2016, 03:46:03 PM
How is AUTONOMOUS ACTION MODE a 2d10 power?  I didn't even know that was possible.

*Flails*

I tell you, I don't know!  I was just going to make it an SFX for Alien Battle Armor, just like the one I mentioned for Shadowcat, but when I described what I wanted out of it to someone else, this is what they came up with, and I just went with it!  You'll have to ask them!

I might not have gone along with it, if I wasn't so worried about having 5 SFX associated with one powerset but only one limit to go with it.

EDIT: from what I can garner out of the book, it's similar to powers like Scarecrow's (no, not THAT ONE) Murder of Crows.  Check his datafile in the Breakout book, page 45.

wander

They have a pack of crows, which can be targetted. As it stands, your character is one target and it doesn't make sense to have the two dice like that. Usually it isn't possible to have two die like that together for a Power (also, you need to say exactly what the Power is).

About the sfxs... Evasive Manouvres on the first set seems OP as does the Built for War one... You effectively can drop a d12 stress on an enemy fairly easily with it, given your d10 strength and the sheer amount of d10s you can use in a pool. Many mooks and enemies tend to get knocked out at d12 stress. I'd look over these sfx, consolidate to one that's more inline with the others.

Limits; Why have the option to shutdown a Power or make it a Complication? Making a Power into a Complication makes it pretty much a dice that others use against you, it's unusable to you anyway, same as if shutdown. You basically have the same Limit, but have two strengths of it and I wonder why you'd ever choose to make a Power into a complication when you can just shut it down.

I honestly think you need to relook over the character and ask yourself; do you really need half of what they have here?

I'd like to see how Kunoichi explains that Powerset tbh, as it doesn't make any sense, looking at it.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: wander on January 12, 2016, 04:15:02 PM
They have a pack of crows, which can be targetted. As it stands, your character is one target and it doesn't make sense to have the two dice like that. Usually it isn't possible to have two die like that together for a Power (also, you need to say exactly what the Power is).

You'll have to ask Kunoichi.  I was surprised, too, at the 2d10.  At best, I figured it would be a d10.  If I reworked the power, personally, I would use it as a TELEPORT d8 - let them get away, but not TOO far away.

About the sfxs... Evasive Manouvres on the first set seems OP as does the Built for War one... You effectively can drop a d12 stress on an enemy fairly easily with it, given your d10 strength and the sheer amount of d10s you can use in a pool. Many mooks and enemies tend to get knocked out at d12 stress. I'd look over these sfx, consolidate to one that's more inline with the others.

Evasive Maneuvers is basically Spider-Sense from Spidey's datafile sheet, just with Jump-Jets instead of his Enhanced Senses.  I could easily reclassify the SFX to use his Cybernetic Senses (a d8) and simply reflavor it as an active alert system or the like.

Built for War was made when I originally had the character, and his Strength was only a d8 as opposed to a d10.  And yes, he can pretty easily drop an enemy with it.  He's a war machine, beating things up is what he does.

Limits; Why have the option to shutdown a Power or make it a Complication? Making a Power into a Complication makes it pretty much a dice that others use against you, it's unusable to you anyway, same as if shutdown. You basically have the same Limit, but have two strengths of it and I wonder why you'd ever choose to make a Power into a complication when you can just shut it down.

Most of the canon heroic datafiles I've run into have only one or two limits - and a number of those profiles have way more SFX than the Limit + 1 rule of thumb that I keep hearing about.  The Fantastic 4 are the worst offenders in that respect - each of them has only 1 limit, but all of them have 4 SFX, save Sue Storm who has 5!

I mainly came up with Ultracoolant Failure because it was an additional limit I could see with Darclight.  If I wasn't trying to come up with extra Limits, then I wouldn't really worry about it.

I honestly think you need to relook over the character and ask yourself; do you really need half of what they have here?

The Heroic system lets you create the character you want to have.  If you want to make someone like the Sentry, with the power of a million exploding suns, you can do that.  If you want to make someone mostly mundane like Black Widow or Captain America, you can do that.  If you want to create someone who has only one power, like Cyclops, you can make them as easily as someone like Storm, who has 7 powers, all in the same set.

EDIT: Does Darclight need half of what he's got?  I haven't the foggiest.  But I've made him as I want him, which is the point.  If the GM wants to tell me to knock off this power or this SFX because it unbalances the character, then as the guy running the game, that's his prerogative.

Kunoichi

When it comes to the Autonomous Action Mode power set, I imagined it as a 'Darclight steps out of the suit and it starts operating independently of him' sort of power when first suggesting it to Reiji, which is why I gave it the mutually exclusive limit to make it so that it can't be used alongside his other two power sets.  If 2d10 is a bit too much for that sort of power set, then would lowering it to only a single d10 and having it otherwise function unchanged work?  Multiple Man from the X-Men pdf gets 3d8 for his power, so I honestly didn't think that 2d10 would be a problem when I was first designing the power.

As for the Emergency Activation SFX, that was mostly just intended to be a 'the armor starts acting on its own to preserve its wearer if he gets taken out' sort of ability.  If that's also too powerful, perhaps it could just be changed to a 'spend 1 plot point to immediately exit the scene if you've been taken out' effect, instead?

wander

Just adding in Shadowcat's sfx works just fine. Teleport d8 seems most suitable if you had to make a Power-set from what's basically a pay 1PP sfx. I still think you should just replace one of your current sfx with the Shadowcat one if you wanted it tbh. Note that the sfx basically works by removing your character when KOd from the field so noone can place further trauma and potentially kill them. It's an unusual circumstance as usually when a player has been KOd, there's no more reason for a Watcher character to target them anymore, your character has basically been knocked out of the scene anyway. I kinda find it a waste of a PP to do that, unless the Watcher is being particularly 'rocks fall' on the players.

Lastly, there is zero point to renaming Powers, so many datafiles don't do that so their abilities remain clear... It's the narrative that shows off how the Power functions in a roll, not giving it a descriptor. Those 2d10 could be used for multiple Powers, which is kinda unfair.
Flavouring basically comes in a Power-Set by what you call the set and the sfx and Limits you give it, of which you can name those. The Powers are still named the same as what they are listed as in the Powers section of the base corebook. There are very few cases with canon datafiles that they name their Powers based on descriptive titles of what they actually are. Thats what the sfx and limits get, not the Power dice themselves.

And I'm dropping this subject now, you play whatever... Though I'm getting kinda sick of seeing characters that can take on Thanos and Galactus in team-based stories and Power-sets that twist the rules of the game to get advancements no other heros have... It just makes the GM's job harder to keep up and it's a pain for everyone else to fight things we can't beat to keep the challenge up for one or two players.

Guancyto

Hmm, I'd rather leave off a 2d10 power like that to start with and then add it later as the stakes ramp up, rather than have it at the very start and then remove it. Remember that y'all do get XP! (Edit: adding it if/when your personal bad guys show up seems like a reasonable way to go, I think? A Chitauri invasion is a good time to experiment with bigger powers.) I deputized wander on mechanics-duty for a reason, so please do show some courtesy.

Okay, gonna make food and then make the intro thread.

Edit: Working with your last member on milestones. In the meantime, OOC thread is here, please repost ye sheets and then away we'll go:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=242691.0

Guancyto

Okay! IC thread is here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=242700.msg11983269#msg11983269
And an opening for you all. Hope it isn't too rough.

Event 1, Act 1: The Moonstone Robbery! Shake off the Cobwebs!
1xp: Meet another hero and team up!
3xp: Get tied up in webbing. Again.
10xp: Discover the purpose of the Moonstone Robbery, and either put a stop to it or find another solution

Hook: Time to stop being retired.
Doom Pool: 2d6

Kunoichi

Ah, this is definitely looking like it's going to be a fun game. ^^ Especially since that Milestone almost looks like it was tailor-made for me. :P

ReijiTabibito

Quick question for the GM: does that Event Milestone stack on top of the two personal ones we've got?  (IE, we have 3 Milestones to gain XP from)

I ask because the GM of my last game basically said "You can only have 2 Milestones during any 1 event, and you have to pick them before you post in the Event for the first time."

Kunoichi

That latter option is somewhat how I remember it working in the books, myself.  I was planning to pick the Act 1 Event Milestone and Silver Age Sensibilities for my two Milestones.

wander

Yeah, you should have 2 Milestones at any one time usually.

However, having 2 Milestones for your character is a good thing coming in, kicking off. Because if you clear the Event Milestone or your personal one, you can add in your extra one and work towards that (Once you hit 10xp, you lose that Milestone you reached that trigger with). Also you don't have to take the Event Milestone if you don't want to, though usually it's a fitting way to get xp based on something the Watcher wants to throw at the PCs.

Guancyto

It was asked in PM if a player could assume there was a coffee shop near the robbery, and I thought the answer was relevant enough that everyone should hear.

Wherever you go

no matter if it is to a secret underground volcano lair

or a moonbase

or a rogue planet that has been uninhabited since the dawn of the universe

or new jersey

you may always, always declare there is a Starbucks present.