Bly's Non-Adult/Non-Sexual Request Thread

Started by Blythe, September 01, 2019, 09:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Hello, this is my thread for non-sexual 1x1 RP ideas! For now, I just have a single idea I'm looking for. A bit of information about me:

- I am thirty years old and work from home!
- I am a transgender man.
- I do not have a minimum posting speed or minimum posting length.
- I have been a member of Elliquiy for many years and have tens of thousands of posts on the forum.
- I am incredibly laid back and pretty hard to offend. If you bother me, I'll politely tell you though.
- I don't ghost. I might take a long time to respond, but if you have not been told by me that I'm no longer interested in the game, then I am still interested.
- Your RL gender doesn't really matter to me so long as you play an interesting character.

Onward to the plot idea!

Idea #1: The Last Year

Tags: Slice of Life, Romance, High-School/Graduation, Overcoming Adversity, Japan

I'd play a cismale character for this. I'm fine if you play a character of any gender of your choosing. The general idea is that our characters are childhood friends and have known each other all their lives. But now they are both 18...and this is their last year of high school. Both of them live in a large city in Japan--we can decide among ourselves which one.

When they took their exams to get into good universities, it became clear they weren't going to the same universities. In fact, their universities will be at opposite ends of Japan!

So they just have this last year together before they might drift apart. How will they spend it? One (or both) of them have developed romantic feelings, but is it really okay to fall in love when you know you are going to drift apart? Everyone knows long-distance stuff doesn't work!

But they've literally known each other all their lives. How will they navigate this last year? Especially if they each have friends going to the same universities who try to pull them apart.

Reply here if interested and tell me about the character you want to play! (No character images needed--I don't think they are necessary for this)

raywrites

Hello, I'm interested in your plot. My character would be a gay male, closeted, struggling to accept himself in a family/society that isn't so accepting of homosexuality. He is studious, studying to the point where he ignores social obligations to get better grades, is artistic as a hobby because he doesn't think he can make a career out of it, and very blind without glasses. He is planning to study medicine in school, to please his parents, who never got to go to a university themselves. His father works as a custodian in an elementary school, and his mother in a clothing store, and together even with MC's part-time job at the grocery store, are struggling to make ends meet. He enjoys listening to music, hanging out with YC at home, and generally doesn't like to party or anywhere with huge crowds and thumping music, but he will go out if YC wants to. Besides being closeted, he is also hopelessly in love with his best friend, but that is a secret he never plans on telling him--he is afraid of it destroying their lifetime friendship, which he values more than the mere *chance* of having more--even if it's what he wants almost more than anything else in the world. He's a little on the chunky side, not more than 10lbs overweight, but he definitely feels the pressure from society to fit in. He is 'soft', not muscular, and likes loose, baggy sweaters to hide his slight belly, which he is extremely self-conscious about, even with his best friend. Especially with his best friend.

So yeah. That's what I have so far. ^^ Thanks for reading.

Blythe

Quote from: raywrites on September 21, 2019, 04:26:24 AM
Hello, I'm interested in your plot. My character would be a gay male, closeted, struggling to accept himself in a family/society that isn't so accepting of homosexuality. He is studious, studying to the point where he ignores social obligations to get better grades, is artistic as a hobby because he doesn't think he can make a career out of it, and very blind without glasses. He is planning to study medicine in school, to please his parents, who never got to go to a university themselves. His father works as a custodian in an elementary school, and his mother in a clothing store, and together even with MC's part-time job at the grocery store, are struggling to make ends meet. He enjoys listening to music, hanging out with YC at home, and generally doesn't like to party or anywhere with huge crowds and thumping music, but he will go out if YC wants to. Besides being closeted, he is also hopelessly in love with his best friend, but that is a secret he never plans on telling him--he is afraid of it destroying their lifetime friendship, which he values more than the mere *chance* of having more--even if it's what he wants almost more than anything else in the world. He's a little on the chunky side, not more than 10lbs overweight, but he definitely feels the pressure from society to fit in. He is 'soft', not muscular, and likes loose, baggy sweaters to hide his slight belly, which he is extremely self-conscious about, even with his best friend. Especially with his best friend.

So yeah. That's what I have so far. ^^ Thanks for reading.

I really like this character idea! He sounds like such a sweetheart. <3

I think MC would probably me a little more well off and likely intends to go to university to study business administration; he intends to inherit his father's manufacturing company one day or perhaps open up a new branch of it in another city. He'll be a little taller than the average student, just tall enough to where people like to single him out to comment on his height. He'll be physically fit and perhaps just a bit on the thin side (more on that later). MC likely has never tried to think overly much on his own sexuality (and it would be discouraged in his home, where the focus would always be on discouraging him to date in general), but he definitely wouldn't be wholly straight for this tale. I imagine MC does like parties and may have dragged YC to a few...but not too many since he'd know YC isn't a fan of parties! MC is on the school swim team, so he's always constantly being mindful of his weight and looks due to an overbearing coach, and he sticks with it because he's likely to get some manner of financial assistance with college since he's one of the better swimmers. MC would be a very upbeat and positive sort of person, definitely a 'glass half full' kind of guy! I think one thing he'll love more than anything is jamming out to music with YC.

I'm thinking his family name might be Ito. And his first name would probably be Kazuhiro.

Any preferred city you want to set them in? I think a smaller but still fairly sizeable city like Osaka or Yokohama would be pretty good ideas. (It also would leave it open for one of them to be headed off to Tokyo when their last year of high school ends)

Also congrats on getting approved!  ;D

raywrites

Hi Bly! I'm happy you like him, and thank you! It's good to be here. I don't know enough about Japan to pick any city but Tokyo, so I will leave that up to you. As for his name, I have a whole mental list of Japanese names I've used before, if you aren't particular about MC's name. Fair warning, I've never written slice of life before, but I consider myself decent at drama and angst, which it sounds like there will be a bit of here. I am also extremely flexible as far as plot and ideas go, so feel free to bounce some off me anytime. My only request is that you begin, as I am still learning the ropes. Do you want to do it over PM or right here in this forum? I don't mind either way. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ray

Blythe

Quote from: raywrites on September 21, 2019, 01:58:44 PM
Hi Bly! I'm happy you like him, and thank you! It's good to be here. I don't know enough about Japan to pick any city but Tokyo, so I will leave that up to you. As for his name, I have a whole mental list of Japanese names I've used before, if you aren't particular about MC's name. Fair warning, I've never written slice of life before, but I consider myself decent at drama and angst, which it sounds like there will be a bit of here. I am also extremely flexible as far as plot and ideas go, so feel free to bounce some off me anytime. My only request is that you begin, as I am still learning the ropes. Do you want to do it over PM or right here in this forum? I don't mind either way. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ray

Ah, if you want then we can have it set in Tokyo and they are both due to head out to other cities! I'd rather set it somewhere where we both as writers feel a bit more comfortable with!

And yes, I like drama and angst, so that's good for me.  ;D

I don't mind beginning the tale. I generally RP over the forum threads (my PM inbox is too much of a wreck to keep track of RPs via PMs), so whenever I have the thread-start up, I will post a link to it here in this thread so you can easily find it!

As for a few plots, I think a possible good opener for this would be our characters heading off to school a few days after exams & perhaps one or both getting offers from universities to attend. Maybe there's a party for the upcoming weekend and Ito wants to invite YC for 'one last party.' Sets the stage for all manner of drama at the party, I think, especially depending on how others did on their exams and depending on if people have begun to notice that MC and YC are unusually close as friends!

raywrites

Sounds good to me! Who will be playing the supporting characters, both of us? And I have a few fragments of ideas. For starters, they could be best friends because they were seated together in primary school. Alphabetical last names, or maybe just randomly. Second fragment- one of them gets into the same school as the other, but decides on one of the other options because it's better for his program, or he gets a scholarship, any reason really. Could even be related to him secretly being in love and wanting to put distance between them.

Blythe

Quote from: raywrites on September 21, 2019, 02:11:09 PM
Sounds good to me! Who will be playing the supporting characters, both of us? And I have a few fragments of ideas. For starters, they could be best friends because they were seated together in primary school. Alphabetical last names, or maybe just randomly. Second fragment- one of them gets into the same school as the other, but decides on one of the other options because it's better for his program, or he gets a scholarship, any reason really. Could even be related to him secretly being in love and wanting to put distance between them.

Both of us, I think! I have a few I might introduce--one or two swim team members who are friends with Ito, perhaps a low-scoring person on the exams who is envious of our characters and might seek to lash out over it (possibly by pulling mean pranks on them), a teacher, etc.

I do like the idea that they became friends because they were seated together--I sort of like the random angle of it. Or maybe MC came to sit with YC because no one had sat by YC yet?

Oooh, I like that idea that one of them could have the option to go to the same school but decides on the other; that adds a perfect element of drama and perhaps even a sting of betrayal there, too. I'm working on a first post now; I'm quite happy to get this idea off the ground!  :D

Blythe

And voila!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=310980.0

(I can edit my post to include your character's name once you decide on it; I know it looks a little odd not saying your character's name in there at the moment. I was just happy to write and get the starting post up! I'm also really laid back about editing my posts in general so if you ever feel like something I wrote doesn't fit, just holler and I can change stuff as needed)

raywrites

That's lovely! I will reply as soon as I arrive home, I want to do your post justice and I can't do that with my phone. Couple more questions/general things though.

1. I know you said you don't have a minimum posting speed, but what would it be typically, just so I have some idea. I just started and I've already been ghosted a few times. My typical speed is back and forth, preferably, and a couple of posts a day, if possible, but I am willing to wait longer if need be.

2. I typically do multi-para, and find it very difficult to write one liners, though I may not be able to write paragraph upon paragraph either. From what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem like that will be an issue for you, but I just wanted to let you know.

3. Lastly, I have rather poor eyesight, so if you really wouldn't mind making text larger for me, I would truly appreciate it. Size 18 would be perfect.

Blythe

I have edited the main RP thread to have a larger font for you! I myself use a screenreader program sometimes due to flare-up problems with my own eyesight, so I am sympathetic to visual impairment issues. I'll also try to use larger font in general when chatting with you! It looks like you used a size 14 in your last post here due how you inputted it in with the BBCode (or at least that is how it's showing on my screen), so I used that. I can push it to size 18 though if this size still isn't sufficient. :)

I don't really have a minimum posting rate, but one thing I'll mention is that I don't ghost. Unless I mention I'm not interested in a game any longer directly to you, it means I remain interested. I've been a member of the site for many years and have one of the higher post counts/topic start counts, so I'm not going anywhere.  ;D (I'm also totally fine if you want to poke me from time to time to check in to make sure I'm still around; that won't offend or bother me) Though I will say that it's rare that I go longer than a week without some manner of activity. I also give notice if I am not posting or will be away in my Apologies and Absences thread (link in my signature where it says A/A in the picture, or alternatively, click here), so you'll typically have a way to know if I'm not available. I do, however, tend to prioritize my non-adult RPs (and my group games, to be fully up front) and do tend to prioritize RPs with newer members, so I can endeavor to be more active than usual as required.

As for posting length, one-liners don't crop up in my freeform games. Really the only time I write one-liners is in a specific few situations--short stories where I'm the only writer or system games I'm GMing when I have to resolve a dice roll for a player or need wait for them to decide what they are doing before I can give them a larger post. Freeform games I write tend to have replies between 1 to 5 paragraphs, sometimes quite a bit longer if I'm feeling particularly inspired for a scene.

raywrites

Thank you for adjusting the size for me, I really appreciate it. I will do the same for you. My eyes are really messed up and squinting definitely doesn't help, haha. Thank you as well for the reassurances. I am glad you have decided to take a chance on me, as I am the unknown factor here. Hopefully I will not disappoint!

Blythe

No worries, and I'm glad you took a chance replying to my request thread here!  ;D Looking forward to RPing & plotting more; have a safe trip getting back home!

raywrites

It was a long but safe trip, thanks. ^^ Is the 18 font bothering you, should I switch to the 14? I had another fragment of an idea, as well. Would you be open to one of them leaving and one of them staying? Adds angst. Also, if they started out in Tokyo, a google search revealed that there are plenty of good schools around there. If not, I have a backup plan.

Blythe

Quote from: raywrites on September 21, 2019, 06:33:02 PM
It was a long but safe trip, thanks. ^^ Is the 18 font bothering you, should I switch to the 14? I had another fragment of an idea, as well. Would you be open to one of them leaving and one of them staying? Adds angst. Also, if they started out in Tokyo, a google search revealed that there are plenty of good schools around there. If not, I have a backup plan.

18 doesn't bother me--I can push mine to 18 though if you need it larger? No need to fix the size of yours; if I don't like the size I can zoom out on my browser. And I think a Google search ought to be fine/work! I'm not a major stickler for realism so provided the options make sense or seem sensible, I can go along with that just fine.

raywrites