Quasi-Post Holocaust Space Opera?

Started by Vandren, June 28, 2006, 10:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Ok, I've returned and I've been thinking about starting up a new game.  Basically, the description follows, but I can summarize it as a quasi-post holocaust, space opera hybrid.  So, here's the premise:

Going Home
After the devastating carnage of WWIV in 2471, Earth was abandoned in favor of the Solar colonies.  Only the whole and hardy were allowed to leave.  Those contaminated by radiation, disease, retroviruses, and other weapons of the war were left to rot.  For nearly a century the Solar Governments (Mars, Europa, the Belt, Neptune Station) have watched over Humanity, attempted to avoid another catastrophic war, and kept a watchful eye directed toward Earth to make sure none of the mutants left the planet.

Now, a hundred years after WWIV, Humanity is recolonizing Earth.  Initial plans called for whole scale orbital bombing of the planet to wipe out the mutants.  However, projections indicated that the world would be uninhabitable for at least a thousand years after that sort of action.  So, instead, Humanity is being led by an incohesive group of warriors and scientists called Mutant Hunters, charged with exterminating the Mutants and making the world safe for the second wave of colonists.

Questions
If you're interested:

1) BatlE or NCEF classification?
2) Would you like a (very very simple) combat system or not?
2a) For a combat system I'm debating armor - directly related to coverage (the more coverage the higher the armor rating - powered combat armor topping out) or inversely related to coverage (the less coverage the higher the rating - total nudity tops out the scale).

In order to set this up, I'd want at least three confirmed Mutant Hunters and three confirmed Mutants.  Both groups can be Male, Female, or Herm.  They can work together or individually, there are Mutant tribes (ala Mad Max) and Hunter teams.  I have some more stuff written up regarding both Mutants and Hunters that I can post if there's interest.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

kylie

I kinda like the sound of this.  Gimme a bit to decide which side to play, not feeling fussy yet on that point...

I'd say NCEF...  If only cause I'm not sure what BatlE means ;)

I'm a little partial to a simple combat system, but freeform is fine too.

Not sure I understand the armor question.  If total nudity provides the best armor, is the idea then more "you can look, but you can't touch very easily" whereas people who start out covered are rather easy to strip down?  Or am I missing it?

It sounds like a nifty environment, though.  I always liked Battlestar Galactica too, as far as space opera style goes :)

Vandren

Quote from: kylie on June 28, 2006, 04:23:33 PMI'd say NCEF...  If only cause I'm not sure what BatlE means ;)

BatlE is the Midtones section.  I'm thinking the Exotic is likely, given that Mutants can take virtually any form (including tentacle beasts, shapeshifters, etc.)

QuoteI'm a little partial to a simple combat system, but freeform is fine too.

I'm thinking if it's implimented it'll be optional, asa  means of avoiding OOC disputes.

QuoteNot sure I understand the armor question.  If total nudity provides the best armor, is the idea then more "you can look, but you can't touch very easily" whereas people who start out covered are rather easy to strip down?  Or am I missing it?

This comes out of various kung fu and other related movies.  Basically, in the real world an armor rating scale from 0-10 (highest being best) might look like this:

0 = Nudity
2 = Leather Biker Jacket
5 = Kevlar Vest
10 = Sealed Combat Armor

In an inverse would go like:

0 = Sealed Combat Armor (covers everything)
5 = Kevlar Vest
7 = Ragged t-shirt
9 = Stripped to the waist
10 = Total Nudity

(I've seen it referred to as "Bulletproof Nudity" as well - encouragement for scantily clad characters in an otherwise lethal environment.)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Aysleen

1) BatlE or NCEF classification?  Either - not picky

2) Would you like a (very very simple) combat system or not? Again either or

2a) For a combat system I'm debating armor - directly related to coverage (the more coverage the higher the armor rating - powered combat armor topping out) or inversely related to coverage (the less coverage the higher the rating - total nudity tops out the scale).  I like having nudity as being the best and highest rating

Ons and Offs
* I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
*Curiouser and curiouser.

Vandren

I should probably clarify, I don't intend this to be a "everyone's constantly fighting" type game.  That's just the central conflict.  There can/will be other plots, characters can create relationships (of any sort) within the Hunter/Mutant groups or between groups (Mutants capturing Hunters and vice versa).  There can even be pacifist Mutants, though pacifist Hunters might not work so well.  :)

A few more notes:

Mutant Hunters
Four years ago, when plans to recolonize Earth were being finalized, the Solar governments began advertising for scientists and mercenaries to be the first scouts and cleansers.  Roughly 100,000 applied and were accepted.  They were collectively called Mutant Hunters and sent to Mars to await transportation to Earth.  These Humans hardly constitute a cohesive group, though.  Each is responsible for providing his or her own gear and decisions on what to take vary widely.  All of the Hunters have been assigned a zone  to clear, usually a hundred to two hundred square miles or so each.  Some prefer to work alone, others have formed teams of two to six members.  Many have plans to set up a base camp, others plan on moving every night.  There is no uniformity, save that every Hunter has been briefed on the current state of the planet and the known classes of Mutants.  The first group of Hunters was dropped three months ago with replacements coming in every month, usually only a hundred at a time.

Humans average 150 years with “old age” hitting around 100.

Mutants
Left alone for a century, the Mutants created before, during, and after WWIV have been prolific.  According to estimates, there are now over a billion of them scattered across the globe.  Most congregate in tribal or other groups under the lead of various chiefs and warlords.  Some live alone, though.  While the Hunters are technologically superior, the Mutants have numbers, knowledge of their territory, and strange powers on their side.  Technologically, they are backward with some combustion engines and firearms (think Mad Max technology and society).  They are also infinitely variable, the classes and species below are the tip of the iceberg.  Finally, Mutant lifespan varies by type, most are within the Human norm, though a few possess greater longevity or shorter lifespans.

To help the Hunters prepare, the Solar Governments put together the following list of classified Mutants (this is by no means a complete list):

Classes
Animutants – basically anthros/furries.
Morphs – shapeshifters
Mutimals – mutant animals (generally non-sapient)
Phreaks – psis
Rocks – tough, strong mutants, usually not that bright; generally ignore paralysis and stun weapons
Squids – tentacled mutants

Species
Cat-Girls – Animutant felines, housecat base
Dogboys – Animutant canines, usually German Shepherd or Doberman base
Gargoyles – Cowardly Rocks with incredibly tough skin and wings
K’tulus – Squids whose tentacles surround their mouths, otherwise humanoid
Mutimutts – Canine Mutimals, typically horse sized St. Bernards
Octos – Squids whose tentacles replace their arms, usually possess six or eight.
Odos – Morphs who normally exist as a gel but can assume any form
P-Tigers – Tiger Mutimals with limited telepathic ability
Teeks – Telekinetic Phreaks
Teeps – Telepathic Phreaks
Trolls – Very strong, tough skinned Rocks
Weres – Morphs who normally exist as humans, but can turn into animals and/or hybrids, usually only one species

Aysleen

Oh - I'd like to play a pacifist/mutant/Teek
Ons and Offs
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.

Vandren

Quote from: Aysleen on June 28, 2006, 10:13:28 PM
Oh - I'd like to play a pacifist/mutant/Teek

So, that'd make 1.5, not including myself.  :)

Oh, and to better answer the question below . . . BatLE is "Bondage and other graphic scenes that don't reach onscreen rape" with exotic creatures possible.

Aysleen

Ons and Offs
*We're all mad here.

WarDragon

Sounds like fun.  Probably go in NCEF.  Nudity being protective might not be logical.... but since when has that mattered at Elliquiy?  ;)

Is it possible for mutants to look mostly human, but just have freaky powers, and so forth (some blatantly mutant characteristics, of course)?

Apple of Eris

Hrm... this might be interesting. Chalk me up as a definate 'maybe'  ;)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

Quote from: Vandren on June 28, 2006, 09:42:11 PM
In an inverse would go like:

0 = Sealed Combat Armor (covers everything)
5 = Kevlar Vest
7 = Ragged t-shirt
9 = Stripped to the waist
10 = Total Nudity

(I've seen it referred to as "Bulletproof Nudity" as well - encouragement for scantily clad characters in an otherwise lethal environment.)

Pardon my pickiness.  But assuming (as you seem to above) that players do not wish their characters to get hit easily, then that is more of an encouragement for being nude than for being scantily clad.  If the point was to be scantily clad, then 10 should be closer to the middle of the scale than to one end of it.  I notice these things because I like tight and revealing/ porous/ displaced attire, more than none ;) 

Of course, there is also a question of whether you imagine a given character winning more or less often.  That does not necessarily correlate with how much stuff they wear.

Vandren

Quote from: WarDragon on June 28, 2006, 11:56:07 PM
Sounds like fun.  Probably go in NCEF.  Nudity being protective might not be logical.... but since when has that mattered at Elliquiy?  ;)

Or in b-movies or Wuxia films?  ;)

QuoteIs it possible for mutants to look mostly human, but just have freaky powers, and so forth (some blatantly mutant characteristics, of course)?

Definitely.  The psionically endowed would likely be that way and others classes may be as well.  :)

QuoteHrm... this might be interesting. Chalk me up as a definate 'maybe'

3 interested then . . . ok.

QuotePardon my pickiness.  But assuming (as you seem to above) that players do not wish their characters to get hit easily, then that is more of an encouragement for being nude than for being scantily clad.  If the point was to be scantily clad, then 10 should be closer to the middle of the scale than to one end of it.  I notice these things because I like tight and revealing/ porous/ displaced attire, more than none Wink

Of course, there is also a question of whether you imagine a given character winning more or less often.  That does not necessarily correlate with how much stuff they wear.

No problem, though it may be overthinking things.  :)  To be honest, I'd be going for simplicity if a system was implimented, and it'd be optional, basically there to forestall arguements and to provide some randomness.  If I wanted to go all out system, I'd use GURPS 3rd ed. (Of course, then I'd have to convert various Mutant types, come up with point totals, and/or provide lists of commons Advantages/Disads for the Mutant types and for Hunters, etc. :))

MadPanda

Could be iiiiiiinteresting  ;D ;D 
NCEF?  Why not.
Simple combat system: definitely, if it's going to come up.
Armor...that's a toughie.  I'm inclined to agree with the normal scale (for men) and the inverted scale (for women), but then I'm thinking of all those old pulp sci-fi novel covers.  Or the original Bubblegum Crisis (girls get the sleek and curvy battlesuits, guys get blocky mini-mecha...)

Will think about character--time to do something a bit different (for me), I think: Male human scientist/mutant hunter, probably.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Quote from: MadPanda on June 30, 2006, 08:45:41 AM
Could be iiiiiiinteresting  ;D ;D 
NCEF?  Why not.
Simple combat system: definitely, if it's going to come up.
Armor...that's a toughie. 

Will think about character--time to do something a bit different (for me), I think: Male human scientist/mutant hunter, probably.

Well, that's 3 definites and 2 maybes . . . I'll need at least three more definites before bothering a goddess/god to set up the board.  :)

QuoteI'm inclined to agree with the normal scale (for men) and the inverted scale (for women), but then I'm thinking of all those old pulp sci-fi novel covers.  Or the original Bubblegum Crisis (girls get the sleek and curvy battlesuits, guys get blocky mini-mecha...)

Ah, but then we also have Conan and his more SF alternate on Mars (John something or other?) and Capt. Kirk who always has to rip his shirt or get rid of it.  :)  Not to mention Gibson's Mad Max phase.

MadPanda

Point taken.  For the fantasy stuff, anyway.  I just don't see too many space-opera heroes running around shirtless!   (that's John Carter, his son Carthoris, and that Ulysses Paxton guy for Barsoom, with Conan, Kull, and Tarl Cabot for the thud-and-blunder crowd...)  Although I'm sure the ladies would appreciate a little beefcake with their space opera.

In Memory of Bishrook

Aysleen

Quote from: MadPanda on June 30, 2006, 12:45:19 PM
Although I'm sure the ladies would appreciate a little beefcake with their space opera.

Then too, if you've got scantily clad women running around, how long would the men be dressed anyway?
Ons and Offs
*We're all mad here.

MadPanda

It's the principle of the thing  ;D  Sort of like why female protagonists in Robert H. Heinlein novels still wear underwear.  ;)

(With apologies to the Admiral's shade)

In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Quote from: MadPanda on June 30, 2006, 12:45:19 PM
Point taken.  For the fantasy stuff, anyway.  I just don't see too many space-opera heroes running around shirtless!

True, though the vast majority of early space opera authors were straight males, so . . .  :)  Much more early female fantasists.  I suppose it also depends on how you define space opera (I'd argue that the John Carter's were technically space opera, even if they were fantasy disguised as SF).  And on whether we go by the writer's or the artist's conception.  Recent space opera, we had Bruce Willis running around half-stripped in Fifth Element, of course, Milla Jovovich was completely stripped or close enough for quite a while too.

QuoteAlthough I'm sure the ladies would appreciate a little beefcake with their space opera.

*looks aghast* You mean Kirk's not?  j/k

MadPanda

(scratches head)  I've always thought of the Barsoom stuff as science-fantasy, not space opera.  Lensmen, now...there's your space opera.

I concede the point about James Tiberius "Playa" Kirk.  ;D  He's right up there with Starbuck and Han Solo in Mrs. Madpanda's estimation of Prime Sci-Fi Hunkage.  She's given no opinion on Korben Dallas, though...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Quote from: MadPanda on June 30, 2006, 01:23:15 PM
(scratches head)  I've always thought of the Barsoom stuff as science-fantasy, not space opera.  Lensmen, now...there's your space opera.

I concede the point about James Tiberius "Playa" Kirk.  ;D  He's right up there with Starbuck and Han Solo in Mrs. Madpanda's estimation of Prime Sci-Fi Hunkage.  She's given no opinion on Korben Dallas, though...

And then there's the Galactica cast.  :)  Though I'm not sure whether I'd classify the most recent Galactica as space opera or something else.  My realm of expertise is fantasy and I tend to classify SF as good (usually opera or sf-f, I suppose) or not so good (usually "hard" SF).  *shrug*

MadPanda

All I will say on the topic of the New Series, besides having a few Unresolved Issues with the backstory which may have been resolved, is that Mrs. MadPanda has not forgiven them for making Starbuck a woman.  Dirk Benedict was apparently her favorite character in the original...

Original series was more a space western than a space opera, methinks.  :) 

In Memory of Bishrook

Aysleen

Dirk Benedict was a HAWT Starbuck...and yea, making him a woman now...wtf is that all about.  Sounds like your Mrs. is quite brilliant ;)
Ons and Offs
*We're all mad here.

MadPanda

She's smarter than she thinks she is, that's for damn sure  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

robitusinz

I think the whole setting sounds great, and I'd love to join in on a new game on the ground floor.  Count me in as a definite.  I really like the concept, and I don't care much which role I play...I'll either be a Mutant or a Hunter, depending on which side you need more people on.

If I were a Mutant, I'd like to just be a plain ol' super-strong giant.

Hunter, I'd be the meatshield guy.  "Ok, Brick, you go in first, as usual, keep the shields up and clear the entrance for the guys with the big guns."
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

kylie

I want a fem Cylon for Christmas, fem Cylon for Christmas. 

Or, how about for Labor Day?

Hee.