What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

la dame en noir

I'd like to point out

As a black person and a person that majored in US History with an emphasis on Black History...

MLK was targeted from plenty of white people. He was sent letters stating that his rally for peace was racism and tearing the country apart...

For those that like to quote MLK.

Here's the article X
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

la dame en noir

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 08, 2016, 11:53:33 AM
Apparently Joe Walsh, who is a former congressman (!) and a tea party radio talk show host, went out of his way on twitter last night to say that "Real America" was coming after president Obama and the Black Lives Matter campaign - and hinting that Obama was engaged in a race war. Sheesh. >:( The tweet has since been blanked.   

*checks Wikipedia* Oh boy...A week ago, Walsh had informed the world on twitter that "The single greatest act of racism in American history was the election of Barack Obama." *facepalm*

lol

Guess we could forget about Slavery - segregation - genocide of Natives - the way immigrants were(and still are treated) and now Muslims.

Cute...real cute lol
A&A | FxF |

Lustful Bride

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 08, 2016, 02:31:04 PM
lol

Guess we could forget about Slavery - segregation - genocide of Natives - the way immigrants were(and still are treated) and now Muslims.

Cute...real cute lol

What do you expect? He's a congressman. They aren't elected for their intelligence and empathy for other human beings. :P

Twisted Crow

I won't argue that King Jr. was a target, of course he was. He was trying to change what was. Despite being a target, he remained steadfast and continued his movement without a violent response. I remain a firm believer that people of any race/color/gender/etc. can adopt and embrace his message today. I do like to believe that he still made a difference compared to how things were in history. I fear that it is an easy mistake to "keep score" with history, as opposed to remember it (as to avoid repeating it) and attempt to change what is. Just as I feel that he did.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 08, 2016, 02:26:22 PM
I'd like to point out

As a black person and a person that majored in US History with an emphasis on Black History...

MLK was targeted from plenty of white people. He was sent letters stating that his rally for peace was racism and tearing the country apart...

For those that like to quote MLK.

Here's the article X

Not really sure what your point is? I'm not trying to provoke I just don't know why you're linking this in this conversation.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

la dame en noir

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 08, 2016, 03:10:00 PM
Not really sure what your point is? I'm not trying to provoke I just don't know why you're linking this in this conversation.
I'd rather not discuss it with you. I've tried explaining the state of black people in America and you've already basically ignored anything I had to say. This wasn't even towards anything you had said. I'm not getting in an argument with you.

Thank you.
A&A | FxF |

Renegade Vile

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 08, 2016, 03:16:11 PM
I'd rather not discuss it with you. I've tried explaining the state of black people in America and you've already basically ignored anything I had to say. This wasn't even towards anything you had said. I'm not getting in an argument with you.

Thank you.

Alright then, I'll just leave you your space.
For the record though, I know it wasn't towards me, I was just curious.

la dame en noir

Quote from: Dallas on July 08, 2016, 02:52:38 PM
I won't argue that King Jr. was a target, of course he was. He was trying to change what was. Despite being a target, he remained steadfast and continued his movement without a violent response. I remain a firm believer that people of any race/color/gender/etc. can adopt and embrace his message today. I do like to believe that he still made a difference compared to how things were in history. I fear that it is an easy mistake to "keep score" with history, as opposed to remember it (as to avoid repeating it) and attempt to change what is. Just as I feel that he did.
Sure. I just notice peoe tend to cite or quote MLK when we talk about how civil rights are being handled present day. Things have changed and eventually, when a group feels targeted...sometimes they act in violence when their voice goes unheard. Has happened throughout all of history so far.
A&A | FxF |

Oniya

I'm pretty sure that J. Edgar had a file on King - and just about everyone else in the counter-culture.  I've also seen an article in the past couple of months about how Nixon admitted that the 'war on drugs' was a cover for going after 'hippies and black people'.  Might take me a while to dig it up, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on July 08, 2016, 03:30:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that J. Edgar had a file on King - and just about everyone else in the counter-culture.  I've also seen an article in the past couple of months about how Nixon admitted that the 'war on drugs' was a cover for going after 'hippies and black people'.  Might take me a while to dig it up, though.

He also had a file on Eleanor Roosevelt and her secret lesbian lover.

(im not making that up, go look. Its real)

Beguile's Mistress

He had files on everyone and I don't think some of them had been born yet.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on July 08, 2016, 03:30:03 PM

Wasn't the original idea for the Watergate break-in to try to find "insider documents" that could be spun to implicate people, to say that the Democrat party and their 1972 campaign (McGovern. I think?) were all in league with the hippies and the draft-dodgers - the "traitors"?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Mister Ugly

That part of me finds this karma and amusing says what about me, I have to wonder?

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/pride-of-lions-kills-five-poachers/

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

gaggedLouise

There was a secret dossier on Einstein that's been around on the FBI website, and in that one there's a letter from some conservative group in the 1930s (the Daughters of the American Revolution, I think) wherein is offered a funny explanation of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is said to mean that "all statements and opinions are relative - except Einstein's".  ;D

Yep, those were the days of Hoover - his early days as FBI chief...

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

As terrible as the events were, we should always remember the heroes who were there too, who risked they lives to save others.
Both the Protesters and the Officers did heroic acts that night and put themselves in the line of fire to get civilians out of the way and keep people from being trampled in the panic.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingnews/the-acts-of-heroism-during-a-deadly-night-in-dallas/ar-BBu6pV7?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Some of my dwindling faith in humanity was restored. :)

Aethereal

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 08, 2016, 05:48:09 AMThe fact that the person failed to take responsibility does not change the fact that it was an accident.
Okay, let me make a correction: the beginning of the incident may have been an accident (although you could argue some on how much role decision paid in enabling said accident), but what the person opts to do after the fact is less so.
       You generally don't "accidentally" drive home and wash your bloody car after realizing you ran over a person. Yelling at a dying person's wife for half a dozen minutes and not doing anything to help them is hardly an "accident" anymore, either. It is no longer a split-second misjudgement, unawareness of the full picture, or inability to stop the inevitable, as "accident" would usually imply.

Beguile's Mistress

TheGlyphstone

Sued by his parents using him as a front, more like. Though the phrase 'Celebrity attorney' makes me want to vomit.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Shienvien on July 08, 2016, 07:31:39 PM
       Okay, let me make a correction: the beginning of the incident may have been an accident (although you could argue some on how much role decision paid in enabling said accident), but what the person opts to do after the fact is less so.
       You generally don't "accidentally" drive home and wash your bloody car after realizing you ran over a person. Yelling at a dying person's wife for half a dozen minutes and not doing anything to help them is hardly an "accident" anymore, either. It is no longer a split-second misjudgement, unawareness of the full picture, or inability to stop the inevitable, as "accident" would usually imply.

That's true, but that flight reflex that you speak of, in all of its variations, is something extremely difficult to resist. It takes a lot of willpower in that moment to immediately act. And even then, he was more frozen in place and less trying to cover his ass (though excuses were flowing from him, definitely). Like I said, he should be tried for manslaughter and the fact that he did not act as an officer should even after the incident should be held against him as well, but to me, this is still an accident, with all the panic and desperation that follows one of this magnitude. I know accident is a word that almost seems to imply: meh, it was just an accident; but that is most certainly not what it means in this context. If that made any sense?

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 09, 2016, 03:01:48 AM
That's true, but that flight reflex that you speak of, in all of its variations, is something extremely difficult to resist. It takes a lot of willpower in that moment to immediately act. And even then, he was more frozen in place and less trying to cover his ass (though excuses were flowing from him, definitely). Like I said, he should be tried for manslaughter and the fact that he did not act as an officer should even after the incident should be held against him as well, but to me, this is still an accident, with all the panic and desperation that follows one of this magnitude. I know accident is a word that almost seems to imply: meh, it was just an accident; but that is most certainly not what it means in this context. If that made any sense?

Unless I am mistaken, there were multiple police officers on the scene and not a single one thought to attempt to offer medical assistance to the dying man, so this was not simple one panicked man who should have known better.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on July 09, 2016, 03:32:39 AM
  Unless I am mistaken, there were multiple police officers on the scene and not a single one thought to attempt to offer medical assistance to the dying man, so this was not simple one panicked man who should have known better.

I did not read there was more than one immediately on the scene, I thought the partner had been the one to make the call. If that's not the case, then there's gross negligence for everyone and that department needs to seriously look into how its having its officers trained and conditioned.

TaintedAndDelish

The video starts with the driver in a shot up state, the wife is in shock ( my interpretation ) , and the cop appears to be highly distressed. It does not show what lead up to that point and does not indicate why the cop is so distressed. That portion of the story would help to answer some of these questions.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 09, 2016, 04:07:10 AM
I did not read there was more than one immediately on the scene, I thought the partner had been the one to make the call. If that's not the case, then there's gross negligence for everyone and that department needs to seriously look into how its having its officers trained and conditioned.

I just checked, there were two, the officer involved and the partner, but the partner still didn't offer medical aid to the dying man.

TaintedAndDelish

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 09, 2016, 04:10:04 AM
The video starts with the driver in a shot up state, the wife is in shock ( my interpretation ) , and the cop appears to be highly distressed. It does not show what lead up to that point and does not indicate why the cop is so distressed. That portion of the story would help to answer some of these questions.

The police officer is distressed because he just shot someone 4 times at point blank range. Why do you think they would be distressed?