The Origins of Hope: A Superman Re-imagining. M for f

Started by jacobjon, November 12, 2013, 11:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobjon

25 years ago, the United States government discovered a small alien vessel in Rural Kansas. The ship's power source and technology were a complete mystery to the government science teams, but the greatest mystery was the fact that it was empty. The ship had clearly been designed for a single occupant, but there was no sign of anyone. What the government team couldn't know was that Jonathan and Martha Kent had discovered the ship before them and found the infant who had been inside the vessel. Fearing the child would be killed if he was discovered, they took him and raised him as their own son.

In the present day, Clark Kent is still searching for answers as to who he is. He knows he isn't from earth, but any information about his people or why he was sent here was lost when the government took his ship. He has followed every rumor of UFOs or visitors from other worlds, but so far his most basic questions remain unanswered. All he knows is that he is more powerful than any human, and his powers are growing daily.

In Metropolis, Lois Lane's career has hit a dead end. She was once a promising young reporter for the Daily Planet, but her belief in the supernatural and her refusal to give up on leads that others consider science fiction have relegated her to a little seat in the basement of the Planet. Still, she is convinced that she is on the verge of the story of a lifetime. She has found a government employee who claims to be working on a project involving a captured UFO. Lois is skeptical, but the man insists that he has proof. The young reporter thinks she has little to lose, but the meeting is interrupted by an assassination attempt on both of them. The informant is killed, leaving Lois with his evidence, a mysterious crystal and an indestructible blue costume with a red cape.

The search for answers will bring Lois and Clark together, but answers will bring them little comfort. For Clark, the truth means coming to terms with the fact that he is the last of his kind, and the government has spent over two decades using the technology on his ship to prepare enough weapons to kill 100 supermen. For Lois, it means the discovery that her father has been involved in the cover up from the beginning and is moving in for the kill against the visitor from the stars.

The setup is a little elaborate, but basically I'm looking to do a complete retelling of the Superman origin story. One of the biggest changes I want to make is the idea that Lois and Clark are equal partners. Clark has the powers, but he is completely dependent on Lois's investigative skills. As the situation develops and things come to a head, Lois Lane may be the only thing standing between the new Superman and a kryptonite bullet to the head.
"You fight for the wizard?" Black Adam

"I fight for those who can't fight for themselves." Superman

jacobjon

jacobjon

Legacy was added. I'm really craving this one.

jacobjon

Ideas were pruned and expanded. I'm very much craving both of these.

jacobjon