(Open recruitment) Sagacia (Sci-fi/Fantasy, Exotic, Extreme[?])

Started by Brazen Endeavors, February 15, 2012, 11:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen Endeavors

The Dirge Guard will have more than one branch.  Of course there will be full-time support, as only the "elite" will become Sentinels.

As per the question of technology:  Sentinels and other high-ranking members will have access to certain extras.  Dohl Terranj, my character, frequently carries assorted extras on her.  Essentially, if you provide me an explanation of what you would like your character to use, along with a description, we can see.  Obviously, things that are big and flashy won't be acceptable, especially outside of Onar.
..I want you.  I have seen you and I already love you.  My muse begs to lie in your arms; just for a moment.  I need you..
...come play with me?...
.:.o/o.:.intro.:.a/a.:.
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Wheresmycow

Ah, cool.  He's going to be a full-time support then.

As for tech, originally I was looking towards something like futuristic assault rifles and such.  Now that I think about it though, there's nothing I would really want on him.  Things like genetic modifications to allow him to regenerate quickly, allow him to see in total darkness and so on would be cool, so maybe part of a super soldier program, but really there's no tech I'd like to bring over.  Maybe he could be like a werewolf, with the typical benefits of a werewolf, except instead of supernatural in nature, was created by design?
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

SargentToughie

This seems extremely interesting.

You still looking for more players?
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

SargentToughie

Awesome! Any particular niche that needs to be filled or something like that?
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Brazen Endeavors

Cow - in fact, though most citizens don't know about it, there is some minor genetic play going on.  Another alternative is that he may have arrived with those modifications in place.  Really, there is an almost unlimited opportunity to play/create any race. One of my favorites was a being of pure energy.  Another was a large sentient spider.  So...go crazy.

Sarge - you're more than welcome to join :)  We're just starting out so things are pretty open ended.
..I want you.  I have seen you and I already love you.  My muse begs to lie in your arms; just for a moment.  I need you..
...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

SargentToughie

Awesome, I'm going to get started coming up with a character posthaste.

Whenever you toss up a character sheet guideline, I'll finalize everything and toss it up.
Ons and offs

Ember Star

I don't think she's gonna put a sheet up since this is such a open RP and a set sheet kinda limits creativity sometimes, especially with such a large variety possible. You can use my characters as examples if you want though. Just put whatever you feel you need to properly describe your character
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

SargentToughie

Ah... I see...

So are we allowed to make our characters come from ANY sort of world or background? Judging from the way they were described, these 'gates' seem like interplanetary transport in a way, allowing connection between worlds and stuff like that.
Ons and offs

Ember Star

Yes, you are. Any type of world, any race. My second character, Zyp, who is actually my character from the original group, is a good example of that. And yes, the rifts are kinda like wormholes that open up suddenly and bring people and/or things from others worlds/dimensions, the "gates" are simply a way to direct them to a controllable area since you never know who or what might come through.

Edit: and any background

SargentToughie

That's awesome.

Alright then, time for me to get to work...
Ons and offs

Ember Star

Brazen Endeavors

Ember has it right.

I think we've all done enough character sheets to know what information you need/want to include.  I don't like to restrict people, or conversely overwhelm them.

Plus, I just think character sheets are very limiting.  What about character growth?  Changes? What if I just plain forgot something?  I don't want to feel obligated to change it every other day.

*jumps off soap box*
...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Wheresmycow

Sometimes I like to do simple character sheets, other times I like something more in-depth and complicated.  Really depends on what kind of stories I'm doing.  For something like this, I kind of have fun going into a lot of detail.

Anyways, here's first draft.  I'll probably add more to his bio, and will change his abilities based on GM input.
Character
Name: F-2-118, Maxwell, Max

Species: Codenamed "Fenrir"

Home World: Terra (Potential Future Earth Timeline)

Appearance
Normal
Berserk

Weapons: None.  Quite frankly, he doesn't need any.

Abilities: Many.  As a species genetically designed from the ground up, Fenrir possess a multitude of characteristics and enhancements over ordinary humans.  It is much easier to list the results of their genetic manipulation over what has been done.

-Enhanced Strength: Fenrir are much stronger than ordinary humans, capable of easily carrying over 300 kg loads.  They also benefit from a form of tactile telekinesis, which allows them to use their full strength effectively even with poor footing, bracing or leverage.

-Enhanced Constitution: Fenrir are difficult to harm, either from disease, toxins and poisons, injuries or environmental hazards.  They also have a very high stamina and other such benefits.

-Enhanced Regeneration: Thanks to their regenerative abilities, Fenrir can survive injuries that would be mortal wounds for others.  Most wounds can be completely healed in a day, with broken bones taking a week to be perfectly healed, and even severed limbs will grow back.

-Enhanced Speed: Part of what makes Fenrir so terrifying in combat is their sheer speed and agility.  They can cover ground quickly, and their reflexes are consistently at human maximum.

-Heightened Senses: True to the inspiration that lead to their creation, Fenrir have a heightened sense of smell, hearing and can see in darkness.

-Go berserk: All of their enhancements go into overdrive.  They also become even more aggressive and brutal, only barely managing to distinguish friend from foe.  Luckily, this isn't something they can trigger on their own, or often.  It's usually reserved for life-or-death scenarios, or combat drugs that force them into their berserk state.

-Redundancies: Fenrir have a redundant nervous system, and possess an extra lung, heart, liver and kidney.

Drawbacks: Unlike the werewolves they were modeled after, Fenrir suffer from less debilitating weaknesses that are unique to them

-Metabolism: In order to fuel their incredible advantages over humanity, Fenrir need to consume significantly more food.  The average Fenrir resting and relaxing takes in about 5000 calories a day.  Rigorous activity or injury significantly raises that, and going berserk brings it to over 10k.  Fenrir can literally survive the most horrific injuries, only to die of starvation an hour later.

-Density: They don't float in water.  At all.  Do not get them to swim.

-Aggressive: They're scientifically created werewolves designed to act as shock troopers.

Personality: Maxwell has a restrained aggressive personality.  He knows it's largely because of his biology, and he works hard at keeping it contained.  Being made for war does not mean he needs to fight everyone.  To Max, he considers himself a soldier first and foremost, and a soldier isn't for killing a nation's enemies but to protect and serve the nation's people, even if it means he needs to kill people to do it.  This does mean he can be very... loud in terms of how he talks and acts.  While confident and sure of himself, the built in aggressiveness means it's difficult to stay cool and unruffled when provoked.  Lashing out in anger, or even worse go berserk, is shameful, as he believes discipline is what makes a soldier different from a killer.  That being said, he doesn't feel any less of a being for having been created in a lab instead of a proper species.  No existential crisis here.

Anger issues aside, he does a certain lightheartedness to him.  He's not humorless, and prone to the occasional dry wit or black humor here and there.  Given how much he needs to eat, Maxwell enjoys cooking and considers himself something of a foodie.  Being highly resistant to alcohol of all kinds, he likes to drink heavily, and aspires to make his own beer and wine.

Biography: In the far flung future where humanity's mastery of science borders on magic, morality hasn't kept pace as their wars spread across the galaxy.  F-2-118 or Maxwell is a second generation Fenrir, a species created entirely from bottom up.  Modeled after the mythological werewolf, Fenrir act as humanity's shock troopers and weapons of terror.  At the moment of his birth, he and his fellow Fenrir only knew war.  Given specially designed combat stims before each battle, they ripped and tore their enemies apart like mindless beasts.  Then things changed when there had been a mix-up on the shipment of some combat stims.  The ship ran low, and Maxwell was one of the Fenrir selected to do without, with the expectation he would die without the enhanced combat state.

He survived.  More than that, he could witness the carnage that the Fenrir were creating with a clear head, and the absolute horror that they were causing.  When he returned from the mission, he turned to his fellow soldiers and asked, "Is what we're doing right?"  There were a lot of debates and fights over that question, until they realized that they wouldn't fight humanity's wars anymore.  Not while unless they had good moral reasons to do it.  Their rebellion wasn't well received.

Maxwell's importance to the rebellion ended soon after that.  While he was the first Fenrir to bring up morality, he wasn't good at speaking with crowds and or that great a tactician.  The role he played in the end was that of a simple frontline soldier.  During one battle, when he was being sent down via drop pod to secure a key Fenrir creation facility, he was sucked into a rift and brought into Sagacia.  Waking up in a Safe Room, he went berserk and did his best to break free, the loud noises and blinding lights making him fight all the harder until he couldn't maintain that state any longer and he passed out.  His combat prowess and toughness impressed those watching him enough that when he came to and everything had been explained to him, they suggested he join the Dirge Guard.  Seeing an opportunity to be a real soldier, he accepted.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Brazen Endeavors

Great job, wmc!  I see nothing immediately wrong with this.
...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Wheresmycow

Cool.  I'll probably flesh the bio out a bit more, at least give a little something about his first meeting with others in the safe zone.  Right, it's a bit too sparse for my liking.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

SargentToughie

Done! Finally!

Let me know what you think, and if you want anything changed.

character
Name: Senna of the Wastes
Home World: Name unknown, has been lost for generations.

appearance

Weapon: Senna's gauntlet, an artifact of incredible power that draws out the latent powers of nearby magical sources.
special traits
Athletic: Senna is naturally incredibly athletic and acrobatic, capable of performing impressive feats of skill as well as having bounds of stamina to pull them off with.
Ranged prowess: Senna is able to channel magical power through her gauntlet in the form of projectile energy. The energy physically manifests in the form of a glowing 'bow' of sort when she fires from it.
Resourceful: Senna has a tendency of getting out of situations that others would find hopeless or futile, she's incredibly creative with minimal resources and knows how to make the most of what she has

weaknesses
Squishy: Senna is incredibly hard to hit between her various magical skills and her natural acrobatic nature, however, hits that are able to land on her are devastating.
Limited resources: Senna may have an impressive amount of magical energy available to her, however, that well will eventually run dry during longer conflicts if she's not allowed to rest and recover.
Overconfident: Senna is somewhat egotistical, believing that her intellect and power will see her through any situation. This is something that can be exploited by those who know what her limits are better then she herself does.

trademark techniques
Energy bolt: Senna fires a ray of energy from her gauntlet towards an opponent. This attack can be spammed borderline countless times very quickly without even making a dent in her magic supply, but does very small amounts of damage and needs to be used several times before it starts to become a legitimate threat. This is her most basic and standard form of attacking an enemy.
Precision shot: Senna concentrates a larger amount of energy into her gauntlet for a brief time, releasing a more powerful bolt of energy that travels over very long distances very quickly.
Barrage shot: Senna fires several shots at once, more shots translates to more energy being spent. She can fire anywhere from 3 rapid fire shots at a singular target, to a massive flurry of countless shots all being fired at once.
Breakdown Shift: Senna's most useful technique, where the gauntlet breaks down her body into the magical energy flowing within it, and instantly transfers her to a different nearby location where she is reformed, effectively giving her a close ranged 'warp' of sorts. This can be used to briefly evade oncoming enemies and put her in a safe position. As an added bonus, the breakdown/reformation process serves to charge her gauntlet quite a bit, giving her a very brief surge of power when it reforms. Naturally, the process is extremely taxing on Senna's body, and it can only be used a few times (3) per battle before it starts getting dangerous.
Angel's shot: Something else that gives Senna a tiny amount of utility is that she can fire a shot capable of transferring magical energy from her own body to a nearby comrade, briefly closing any serious wounds they might have as well as nulling the pain. While the only thing it will 'heal' are small cuts and bruises, it gives an ally in peril those few vital seconds that might mean their life. Naturally, the more energy she puts into the shot, the more potent it becomes and the more it taxes Senna.

Personality: Adventurous, brave, foolhardy, overconfident... These are all words that describe Senna. She finds it incredibly hard to deny the pull of adventure when she feels it, and she often gets sucked into events and situations that she otherwise has absolutely no business in. She finds a great deal of comfort in solitude, finding the quiet to be peaceful as it allows her time to think and frees her from the restrictions of social structure and law. Still, just because she likes being alone doesn't mean she's unfriendly, she often meets people with a smile and will hold a conversation with them to the best of her ability, despite the fact that her social skills are extremely lacking.

History:
Senna comes from a world that lays at it's deathbed, where humans only exist in very small groups scattered across an otherwise completely ruined and inhospitable wasteland. Most of the surviving humans simply spend their lives struggling for survival against the harsh environment and even harsher predators that took control of the planet once humans suffered their downfall, however, there are a few who don't exactly see the end of humanity as a bad thing. An absolutely tiny percentage of the world's remaining population made the decision to venture out and explore the ruins to discover what had happened to a once borderline unstoppable civilization that spanned across the entirety of the globe, the diggers, as they called themselves.

Senna had always been a bit of a troublemaker even from the moment she was born. Rather then tend to the farm that her parents ran and watch over the precious few fruits and vegetables that they were able to grow, she much preferred playing with the boys and their swords as they talked about defending their home from the horrors that came to prey on the human settlements. Regardless, she was kept in line without too much complaint and she grew into a somewhat respectable young tomboy, until the day that a certain man came into town and changed everything. He had a brutal injury, and while the town nurse made sure that he was taken care of, Senna's curiosity got the better of her and she ended up paying the man a visit, hearing his story of how he had come here and how he lived his life.

Senna fell in love... Not with the man, god no, he was at least three times the age of the preteen tomboy. She fell in love with his way of life, the way of the digger.

From then on, all young Senna could think about was growing older so that one day she would be able to set out on her own into the wastes of the world, discovering hidden secrets and unlocking the truth behind the devastation of her race. Naturally, the instant that she was old enough that she felt she could handle the outside world, she bolted from her home and never looked back, and she found the freedom to wander the ruined wastes an absolute godsend. Most of the monsters she encountered weren't even really that fearsome, and she was good at avoiding those who she knew she wouldn't be able to handle. On one of her earliest digs into what appeared to be some sort of ancient shrine worshiping some kind of long lost deity, she came across an artifact that would change the course of her adventures for years to come. Upon opening some kind of strange vault she discovered what looked to be some sort of weird looking glowing azure jewel. Naturally curious about the jewel and thinking of it as a worthy prize, Senna reached out and wrapped her fingers around the azure gemstone, and she was startled to discover the form of the gem changing, shifting around in her grip. Before Senna even had time to release the stone from her fingers, it had warped itself into her left glove and settled in with a metallic coating as well, turning what was once a regular rugged leather glove into some sort of mystic gauntlet. Much to her delight, Senna was able to discover that this gauntlet gave her incredible powers, the likes of which she had never even imagined before.

Her next couple of digs sent her into similar looking shrines and libraries as she tried to uncover the truth behind this mysterious gauntlet of hers. Thanks to a translation guide left behind by a digger of yore who... well... wouldn't be needing it anymore... Senna was able to decipher enough of the ancient tomes to realize that Magic was incredibly prominent in the ancient world before calamity struck, with a great deal of the population unlocking hidden potential never thought possible before, and this new potential blasted forward the ancient world into a golden age where relics like Senna's gauntlet were commonplace. Apparently the gem that Senna had discovered was an artifact that reacted to nearby sources of magical energy and helped said source channel it. Apparently this artifact was extremely commonplace in the ancient world, as these gems were standard issue to the soldiers and medics of the ancient world to help draw out their latent powers easier and more effectively then they could do otherwise. Obviously, since nobody from the ancient world would be needing such a thing anymore, Senna was more then happy to have it along and use it for her own adventures.

Senna's adventures continued like this for years until she went on one of her biggest and most risky digs yet. Apparently there was a recently uncovered castle of sorts that promised to have unimaginable prizes for the digger brave enough to venture down past the hellacious creatures that took up the large and dark ruins as their home. Since she took such things as a challenge, Senna instantly set her sights upon the castle to see if her luck held out better than other diggers who went in before her. As it turned out, her years of experience and training with her now trusty gauntlet payed off as she was able to make it to the basement, where she found a colossal... black... orb... thing. Senna had never seen anything like it before in her life, and she doubted that she ever would. Curiosity got the better of her as she stepped closer and gently rested her gauntlet hand on the orb.

The orb came to life, light flooded the room, the ground quaked.

Senna had absolutely no clue whatsoever what chain of events she put into motion, but the final result was her opening some sort of large black void that she was instantly sucked through. Senna, naturally, had no idea that she had opened a long sealed gate, and that she had been transported to a world so unlike her own that the culture shock would potentially be enough to mentally shatter a less resilient mind. After all, after spending their entire lives along ruined wastelands and scrapping for survival, the world of Sagacia would potentially drive them insane. For Senna though, it was just another adventure waiting to be discovered, and a whole new world to explore.
"All the old sages spend their days reading those boring musty tomes... I'd rather see where the musty tomes came from."
-Senna
Ons and offs

Wheresmycow

Is that gender swapped Ezreal?  Where did you get that pic?  Why is everyone's google-fu better than mine?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

SargentToughie

Ack, you caught me.

Just Google Rule 63 Ezreal and it's all over the damn place.
Ons and offs

Brazen Endeavors

Oh my, sarge, she looks like fun!  Approved.

Wmc - Certainly, you can make any changes you'd like.

Game should launch this weekend, after I write a thorough description of Onar and do our intro post.  Stay tuned.
...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Wheresmycow

Sarge: And this is why my google-fu sucks, I miss the obvious.  Trying to find a wolf man picture that was well drawn and didn't have him in the nude for Maxwell was a bitch and half.  Didn't occur to me to look for Warwick pics.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

SargentToughie

Yup, Warwick would work.

Is your character going to be as pumped for the Season 3 jungle update as the 'real' Warwick is though?
Ons and offs

Revenent

Might add more later, but here's my character for now. I decided to not only make her a weaponsmith/machinist, but a rookie member of the Dirge Guard as well, since, to be honest, being locked out of closed SLs sounds kind of lame. Wrote what I thought worked with the limited information we have on the world, so let me know if there's anything I need to change. :-)

Ka'yara
Taken Name: Ka'yara (original name can only be conveyed through fatally strong gamma radiation signals)

Species: Geist

Home World: Commonly referred to by Ka'yara as Farlight, though this is also just for the benefit of corporeal beings

Appearance: Ka'yara's true form, when made visible to others, would be likely to instantly blind anyone who looked upon her, if not put them into catatonic shock. The light she emits in her normal state is too powerful for physical beings to withstand, so she prefers to make herself invisible whenever she's not possessing a vessel. Most of the time, if she's not in her purely ethereal form or possessing an inanimate object, she prefers to take control of an organic vessel constructed for her so she could integrate more easily into Sagacian society.

Organic Vessel

Skills: As previously implied, being an ethereal being, Ka'yara is not only capable of traveling across and through mediums that physical beings are incapable of, but she can also "possess" objects inanimate or not, hence why her race were nicknamed "Geists." While all but the mentally weak will resist her possession when it comes to living beings, she finds it extremely useful to take control of nonliving objects and use them to her desire, whether she desires to bring harm to someone, or provide them with help.

Because of this ability, she makes a fantastic alchemist and weaponsmith, able to craft or fix devices simply by taking physical control of them and shaping them in whatever way is necessary to make them work. She can fix a complicated machine just by possessing it and fixing the problem from the inside, assuming she actually knows how to identify the problem in the first place. It is possible she could perform surgery on a living creature in this way, though no one has been willing to be the first one to test this.

On top of this, having come from a nearly omniscient hivemind in her home world, she is very intelligent and is an extremely quick learner when it comes to the "extremely basic" functionality of physical life. She's not infallible by any means, though, especially now that she is living as a single entity, rather than something larger.

Personality: "Intensely curious" is probably the main descriptor of Ka'yara's personality. Ever since coming to Sagacia and learning of the existence of other universes and dimensions, she has been determined to speak with members of every race she comes across and memorize every last detail of their cultures, their biologies, their histories, and whatever else she can find out. Her former existence had her used to total knowledge of all, but rather than being bitter that she now knows comparatively little, she's happy and eager to see how much more there is to find out. This also factors into her item-craft, where she learns to apply many parts of this new physical lifestyle of hers.

Aside from that, Ka'yara is quite kind, but doesn't fully understand certain customs of this new world yet. When she disagrees with someone, she will tell them flat-out that they are mistaken in their belief, as if they will thank her for her kind correction. She doesn't understand the concept of death, either, assuming that organics who die simply move to another body, or ascend to some other form. To her, violence is just another strange custom of Sagacia that she goes along with, even though she doesn't really understand its purpose very well.

Biography: Having only arrived to Sagacia about twenty years ago, Ka'yara is still relatively new to completely altered state of life, especially when one considers how long she has existed. Farlight, the realm Ka'yara says she comes from, is more than just another universe; the realm itself is a living thing, a hivemind of ethereal Geists just like Ka'yara, like an ectoplasmic sun the size of a billion galaxies. The Geists communicated through radiation, yet they were all one, and they all knew of everything each other was, and together, they made up the entire universe. Each one knew every single other by name, even though their numbers were completely unfathomable, and perhaps wouldn't even be constrained to a conventional number scale. It was an isolated pocket of reality, but, like with all dimensions, Rifts occasionally managed to pull an inhabitant or two through, so Ka'yara was not the first Geist to appear in Sagacia, though she was one of the few happy to stay.

Recognizing her for what she was as the entered the Safe Room, the Sentinels provided Ka'yara with an organic vessel as a means to communicate with them, and she was instantly hooked. Entering a physical frame was as foreign to her as joining Farlight would be to any flesh-and-blood man or woman, but doing so provided her with a duality of existence that very few beings could hope to achieve. She was quickly identified as a non-threat and released out into the world, as well as granted her desire to learn anything and everything she could about whatever else lay beyond her knew knowledge.

For several years, she worked her way all over Onar, studying science, history, magic, literature, art, and, of course, mechanics. With her ability to possess objects, she easily showed her worth as a builder and tinkerer and inadvertently began the spread of her name, which reached back to Wisdom Tower just before she did. Having learned everything she could in the central designation over nearly two decades and wanted permission to spread out more and go to more unique places. Naturally, as the Sentinels explained, the Dirge Guard would be able to send her out on missions to very unique places, if she could put her mechanical skills and possession ability to use for them. Not understanding the moral or emotional implications of violence in the slightest, she heartily agreed to the assignment and joined her new "learning crew," ready to travel to wonderful places and perform this strange "combat" ritual with many interesting people.

Brazen Endeavors

...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Revenent