Marvel Comics in Film: What Might the Future Hold?

Started by Mathim, June 20, 2013, 05:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Is waiting for the day the Phoenix power takes over Galactus or Thanos. Probably spells the end of the Marvel Universe... and has probably already happened. :\

Never mind.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Won't happen, unless forced, the Phoenix Force prefers to bond with it's own gender:  Female.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 07, 2013, 07:29:00 AM
Won't happen, unless forced, the Phoenix Force prefers to bond with it's own gender:  Female.
Yeah, I forgot, nigh-immortal, super-powerful entities that have basically ascended to a higher plane of existence beyond the physical care about gender only in comic books. :P

(Still, it's probably happened ;D)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on July 07, 2013, 07:34:22 AM
Yeah, I forgot, nigh-immortal, super-powerful entities that have basically ascended to a higher plane of existence beyond the physical care about gender only in comic books. :P

(Still, it's probably happened ;D)
PERSONALLY, I don't take issue because I understand it as a story device.  It works.  On the other hand, just because you're nigh-immortal, super-powerful doesn't mean you aren't or cannot be vain.  And a gender identity can help with that, after all.

What's the phrase?  "I am Woman, hear me roar!"?  (May have gotten that one wrong, been years since I've heard it.)  :-)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

RedPhoenix

I think the gripe is less a massively powerful entity being vain and choosy and more that a cosmic entity has a gender in the first place.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Inkidu

Sasquatch421

I don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't mind having films for The Starjammers or Silver Sable... I would also love to see a Generation X movie or series done right this time... Then again I'm an old fan of Gen X and seeing how they snubbed Jubilee in the movies...

Mathim

Yeah, I liked X-Men and X2 but X3 was just...barf. I can't believe Bryan Singer left the production to go do that steaming pile of DC dung Superman Returns. Not only did X-Men lose its winning director but somehow he humiliated himself by failing to salvage DC's most iconic hero.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Moraline

Off topic, but has anyone seen the new Superman - Man of Steel movie? Is it any good?

Chris Brady

I liked it.  But then I'm not a purist, nor do I form attachments to actors or directors.  So I try to look at it from a relatively objective point.  But I thought it was a good film.

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 08, 2013, 11:50:00 AM
I liked it.  But then I'm not a purist, nor do I form attachments to actors or directors.  So I try to look at it from a relatively objective point.  But I thought it was a good film.
Good enough for me! Thanks for the feedback on it.

Does anyone think that the future will see a lot more Marvel super hero TV series if the new SHIELD one does well?

Chris Brady

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Moraline on July 08, 2013, 10:47:01 AM
Off topic, but has anyone seen the new Superman - Man of Steel movie? Is it any good?

I thought it was awesome. But there are a lot of people who want to nitpick at every little detail.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Chris Brady

I have ONE tiny nitpick, but I understand why they did it, in context of story and movie.  Other than that, and that's easy to ignore, it's a good film!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The issue I have is that Zod and buddies were all as strong as Superman from the word go, which even by the films narrative would have been a 'no'.  That's not to say they wouldn't be superstrong or tough, Krypton was a high G world after all, but Superman would have been superiour, without the need to combat train.  They'd be moving like snails compared to his power, given the amount of time he's had under Earth's sun.  HOWEVER, it would have made for a lousy film, so I forgive that lapse in plot.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Mathim on July 03, 2013, 11:41:52 AM
If you believe that...tch. And Batman's arsenal of gadgets (and being able to 'fly') are too over-the-top even for the Marvelverse, but he uses them and that's what makes his movies rock despite a lack of powers. Besides, he's not from a continuity where he'll constantly be compared to others (god forbid Superman) so he's not insecure about what he can do despite not having super-strength or anything like that.

I remember one JLA where the rest of the team was captured and helpless and the bad guy goes 'He's only human..' and in the next ten pages the bad guys learn that 'only human' isn't a limit when it's Batman.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 08, 2013, 04:39:38 PM
I remember one JLA where the rest of the team was captured and helpless and the bad guy goes 'He's only human..' and in the next ten pages the bad guys learn that 'only human' isn't a limit when it's Batman.

I always liked the line - 'I'm not trying to beat you.  I only need to distract you.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 08, 2013, 02:09:41 PM
I thought it was awesome. But there are a lot of people who want to nitpick at every little detail.
Where the hell are his God-damned red underpants! D:< ;D

To quote Stephen Colbert, "...Also, the guy the cast to play him [Superman] looks suspiciously like the guy they cast to play Clark Kent. That's going to confuse the audience." :D

I want to see it, but I just haven't wanted to go to a theater lately.

Mathim

I was so let down by Superman Returns I'm not giving Man of Steel the chance (not with a score of less than 60% on most critic sites; that's an F in academic terms).

As for TV shows, I would have hoped they'd try something else besides Agents of SHIELD. I mean, how exciting can it possibly be if they aren't superheroes? Maybe if they covered some loose ends that I've been wanting to see (like how did they deal with Blonsky/The Abomination after the end of Hulk? Did he change back to human form or did he stay stuck like that the way he did in the comics? And if so how did they imprison him effectively enough not to have heard a peep out of him since?)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2013, 10:02:07 AM
I was so let down by Superman Returns I'm not giving Man of Steel the chance (not with a score of less than 60% on most critic sites; that's an F in academic terms).

As for TV shows, I would have hoped they'd try something else besides Agents of SHIELD. I mean, how exciting can it possibly be if they aren't superheroes? Maybe if they covered some loose ends that I've been wanting to see (like how did they deal with Blonsky/The Abomination after the end of Hulk? Did he change back to human form or did he stay stuck like that the way he did in the comics? And if so how did they imprison him effectively enough not to have heard a peep out of him since?)
I've found that, ironically, the target audience of comic book readers are the most difficult (sometimes unrealistically so) to please. They want it to be so awesome so bad that if it's really just good or middle-of-the-road it might as well be failing. When you point out this subconscious skewing that happens they tend to get incredibly defensive. 

Just a personal, general observation.

apygoos

Quote from: Inkidu on July 08, 2013, 06:36:29 PM
Where the hell are his God-damned red underpants! D:< ;D

To quote Stephen Colbert, "...Also, the guy the cast to play him [Superman] looks suspiciously like the guy they cast to play Clark Kent. That's going to confuse the audience." :D

I want to see it, but I just haven't wanted to go to a theater lately.
I enjoyed it
I also had an issue with what was said in the spoiler, but for cinematic sakes, its ignorable

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2013, 10:02:07 AM

If it isn't the most amazing ever, then it's going to get a low score. Dark Knight is the standard now for all superhero movies, and they are expected to surpass that to be good.

Was Man of Steel better than Dark Knight? No, it wasn't. Was it a good movie in it's own regard? In my humble opinion, it was.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Chris Brady

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 09, 2013, 02:26:21 PM

If it isn't the most amazing ever, then it's going to get a low score. Dark Knight is the standard now for all superhero movies, and they are expected to surpass that to be good.

Was Man of Steel better than Dark Knight? No, it wasn't. Was it a good movie in it's own regard? In my humble opinion, it was.
I'm actually shocked that people liked Nolan's Bat-Thug, to be honest.  Not to mention the bad pacing and story telling of the last film, but meh.

Inkidu

I think he got a lot of mileage out of the absolute perfect storm that was The Dark Knight.

Rises is probably as good as Begins. Nolan had neat idea and ran with it. I'd say they're the best Batman movies to ever bless the big screen. :|

EDIT: I also think Nolan's Batman was better than anything Frank Miller ever did with the character.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on July 09, 2013, 02:43:00 PM
I think he got a lot of mileage out of the absolute perfect storm that was The Dark Knight.

Rises is probably as good as Begins. Nolan had neat idea and ran with it. I'd say they're the best Batman movies to ever bless the big screen. :|

EDIT: I also think Nolan's Batman was better than anything Frank Miller ever did with the character.
Miller was...  OK.  But the main reason he's gotten so much 'praise' is because it was around the time of the Watchmen and that period of the 80s, it was the start of 'The Iron Age' of comics, not to mention that 'deconstruction' was the order of the day.

However, one of the key elements that most of the Batman movies always miss out to date, is the detective part of Batman.

And before you say that wouldn't work, I'd like to point out that the first (recent) Sherlock Holmes film captured that perfectly.

So I stand by my statement.  Nolan's Batman isn't all that good because he still missed the integral part of the Bat.  His mind.  And in the later films he even took away his body.

Inkidu

He did some fairly detective-ish things in all the movies, and I'm with you on that, but I've noticed that this does not exactly translate well into the movies or the games (the Animated Series did it well). I've been thoroughly disappointed by the detective elements of both Arkham Games so far. :\

Yeah Sherlock Holmes did it well, I wonder if they just decided to play up the actiony parts of Batman's Character. Of course it could be what T.V. tropes calls Adaptation Distillation. You're not going to get all the elements of a character with a what nearly 100 year history who's been through several different iterations. So I don't really have a good answer for that.

I think Miller has a closet fascism fetish, but that's what I get from the man. He's almost got a Rand-esque zeal for it though. :\