Borders is Closing, 80% Off..

Started by Slaven, September 02, 2011, 02:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaven

Okay, after an interesting experience today with my female friend, I had to come ask my fellow literary companions an important question.

Your local Borders is going out of business, everything is 80% off the original price and you can buy almost everything inside for $2-$5. What is the first thing you go to find?

Personally, I ended up spending about $40 and purchased every Dragon Riders of Pern and Dragonlance books they owned, but I wanted to see what others would do. For example, my female friend spent like $300 on manga, did her best to clean them out..So if your local Borders was doing this, which shelves would you want to flock? A specific series? An author? A genre? Share your interests. :P
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Ryven

Food and Cooking section.  So many books I would make good use of. :-)

Sybl

The Borders near me only has a few select books marked down from 68% to 80% off. A total of 12 books. That is insane.

If they cut the prices even more, before last day, I will be hitting the cookbook section. :)

Slaven

Haha. Sadly, I was way ahead of the both of you! I already own every cookbook Border's had to offer, so naturally I was quite disappointed when I drove by today and saw the huge "Going out of business sale, 80% and everything must go!" sign on the front of the building! All the money I could have saved...:P

Kurzyk

First thing I'd go to find would be books on Chess. Then the jigsaw puzzles. :)

If I was feeling literary, and on my way out, I might pick up some of the fancy bound classics, Dickens and maybe Sherlock Holmes.

Lilias

Hopefully, such a sale would bring out older and less popular stuff... I still want physical copies of as many things that Marion Zimmer Bradley has written or edited as possible. (I have about 50 volumes on my shelves, and there's at least another 30 or so, even before we get to the really obscure stuff!)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Slaven

Quote from: Lilias on September 02, 2011, 03:11:15 PM
Hopefully, such a sale would bring out older and less popular stuff... I still want physical copies of as many things that Marion Zimmer Bradley has written or edited as possible. (I have about 50 volumes on my shelves, and there's at least another 30 or so, even before we get to the really obscure stuff!)

Actually, I saw quite a few of his works out. They had a huge cardboard box filled with paper backs with his name written across them. It was actually complete chaos and I was stunned by all the books they had kept put up in the back rooms of stuff that never sold. I was like a kid in a candy shop!

TheGlyphstone

Sadly, all the local Borders stores for me closed a while ago.

LilySnape

When I heard that Borders was closing, I went and bought a Harry Potter sticker book, a little Golden Snitch and several Batman and Robin comics/graphic novels. <3
I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensare the senses.
~ Severus Snape

Slaven

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 02, 2011, 08:40:57 PM
Sadly, all the local Borders stores for me closed a while ago.

That's a shame!

Quote from: LilySnape on September 02, 2011, 09:03:02 PM
When I heard that Borders was closing, I went and bought a Harry Potter sticker book, a little Golden Snitch and several Batman and Robin comics/graphic novels. <3

Yeah, from what I've heard, our Borders had by FAR the best sale of any other so far. You could have purchased the entire HP series for a $20 bill.

Sabby

Every Harry Dresden book they have. I get audiobooks, but they'd look nice on my shelf :)

Slaven

Quote from: Sabby on September 02, 2011, 10:19:22 PM
Every Harry Dresden book they have. I get audiobooks, but they'd look nice on my shelf :)

..Oddly enough, I know what you mean. I got some books today that I may never read, but damn they look nice and fresh on the shelf!

Sabby

My attention span has gotten so bad the last few years. I want to read, but I end up just sort... travelling along the page. Spend more time trying to find my place again, then actually reading. I used to annoy the hell out of the school librarians because they couldn't keep up with supplying me! xD

So now I get budget books as decoration. Audiobooks are great for gym sessions or when I can't sleep.

ofDelusions

Took me a moment to realise you were talking about some sort of store...

Marguerite

On Thursday, I went to the Borders across the street and bought 21 books (romance, sci-fi, and hard cover books) for a total of 66 dollars. At the end of my long receipt it said I saved 144 dollars. I would have spent around 210 bucks at full price for those 21 books, but instead I spent at least 3 dollars on each of these books.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Slaven

Quote from: Marguerite on September 03, 2011, 03:55:43 PM
On Thursday, I went to the Borders across the street and bought 21 books (romance, sci-fi, and hard cover books) for a total of 66 dollars. At the end of my long receipt it said I saved 144 dollars. I would have spent around 210 bucks at full price for those 21 books, but instead I spent at least 3 dollars on each of these books.

I know, right? Completely awesome!

Marguerite

Quote from: Slaven on September 03, 2011, 04:06:43 PM
I know, right? Completely awesome!

-Nods-

I went in and a lot of the books were still on the shelves but I had a strategy of what books I wanted to nab and what I could find online. I am sad for Borders to go but I feel even worse for individuals who bought their brand of Nook or a year long membership and can only use it for a little while.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

TheAnimeFanGirl

I really wish Borders wasn't closing. I loved buying mangas and romance books/erotica there, as well as having a nice coffee drink and a cream cheese pretzel.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.