Pokemon game [Exotic NC, for leeway; Story>Boinking] Game Discussion. FULL

Started by Korbl, March 25, 2011, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korbl

UPDATE: We're full on players, but if your interested, keep an eye on this thread, because I'll put up a notice if I need more players. However, with the amount of interest I'm getting, I did think of an idea to get some more players, but things would more likely be cameos. There are a good number of NPCs in the pokemon world, so if people want to help me by playing Jennys, Joys, or Gym leaders when they come up, then we can discuss that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I know that a lot of people on here are nerds like me and like pokemon. I also know we want a pokeverse RP. I also know they never get anywhere, and theorize it's because an emphasis somehow gets placed on characters rolling around in bushes... I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, it just happens. Possibly due to the fact that pokegirls are often used instead of pokemon.

So who would have an interest in a straight-ish (as in not deviating, not the orientation) pokemon rp. Probably taking place in Unova, maybe Sinnoh, or an original area if people might be interested in including the fan stuff I've been working on (though it's far from complete at the moment). Using normal pokemon and new trainers?

I've got thoughts, but lets see who's out there first.
Ons/Offs

My A&As

Find out where I've journeyed
on the Map of Human Sexuality!

Silk

Korbl

Well, I was thinking of maybe six or seven people, I've got a friend who might be interested, she just needs to do her intro to the forum. Was thinking of moderating for a group of fresh trainers, who've basically just gotten their pokemon, or are about to, though older than the 10-15 the show and game uses. If anyone wanted, I'd even allow them to play someone from our world who was brought into the pokeverse. So just a story of some trainers making their way through their journey, doing the gym thing. I've got nothing against characters hooking up, and would actually encourage it, I just don't want the rp to fall apart because of it.

That probably didn't elaborate, so do you have any specific questions?
Ons/Offs

My A&As

BlueEyedBard

Well I'm interested but sadly I fell out of the Pokemon circle after the first 151 so those are the only ones I know anything about. I'm flexible of course and willing to work with what I don't know but all of my Pokemon would have to be from the original 150.
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
Ad astra - but per hominum
On/Off

Korbl

Which isn't a problem at all. I just realized I didn't mention anything about other regions. I would hope some people would be from other regions, to make it more realistic, and pokemon from those regions already occur in cross regional incidences, and would be appropriate for trainers from outside (where ever we do the rp)
Ons/Offs

My A&As

NotCarrot

I might be interested, depending on how things go. Did you have a plot in mind beyond the gym challenge?
This also reminds me that I need to beat Black so I can quit worrying about spoilers.

Korbl

I have an idea or two kicking around, but I definitely want the characters to be on the usual journey through the cities. There are a lot of implications and ideas I can play around with from Tvtropes.com. One thing I'm thinking about is the Cofagrigus ability Mummy, which changes a touched opponent's ability to Mummy, effectively starting a zombie outbreak kind of thing.
Ons/Offs

My A&As

DKDBSD

NotCarrot

Quote from: Korbl on March 26, 2011, 03:34:29 AM
One thing I'm thinking about is the Cofagrigus ability Mummy...

Oh god, they actually created something creepier than Yamask. ._.

....*sigh* Yeah, definitely signing up for this now. Apparently I'm a masochist.
* NotCarrot goes to work thinking of a way to recreate a zombie-killing shotgun in a setting which lacks advanced weaponry and gunpowder.

Spell

*Raises hand* Interested here. Have been playing Pokemon since Red, and have played all of them.
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Korbl

Quote from: NotCarrot on March 26, 2011, 02:57:06 PM
Oh god, they actually created something creepier than Yamask. ._.

....*sigh* Yeah, definitely signing up for this now. Apparently I'm a masochist.
* NotCarrot goes to work thinking of a way to recreate a zombie-killing shotgun in a setting which lacks advanced weaponry and gunpowder.
Cofagrigus is Yamask's evolved form. And there are shotguns in the pokeverse, they're uncommon, but they're there.

But, yeah, if I run this, you guys should know that I'm a person who can look through many Nightmare Fuel examples and not find them frightening at all, merely get ideas for cool stories. This may well get disturbing.
Ons/Offs

My A&As

Korbl

Ok, so that's five people, when my friend finishes her approval process thing, that'll be six players plus me moderating, and possibly throwing in a character to the group. So I think we've got enough. I'd like to start seeing any suggestions or things people want to see, and possibly some rough mock ups of characters. I'll answer any questions, which I'm sure people have, since I was very vague.
Ons/Offs

My A&As

DKDBSD

Will this be a mechanics based game or a plot and character based game?

Korbl

It'll be plot based. I have yet to really find a mechanical system that would work well for pokemon. A forum I post on was working on something, but it was never made usable.
Ons/Offs

My A&As

NotCarrot

Quote from: Korbl on March 26, 2011, 03:41:38 PM
Cofagrigus is Yamask's evolved form. And there are shotguns in the pokeverse, they're uncommon, but they're there.

But, yeah, if I run this, you guys should know that I'm a person who can look through many Nightmare Fuel examples and not find them frightening at all, merely get ideas for cool stories. This may well get disturbing.

Yeah, I looked it up on Bulbapedia to see if it was related, or if there were TWO monsters in Gen V designed to give me nightmares. I don't mind disturbing stuff in RPs, as long as it doesn't get ridiculously gory (in retrospect, my favorite storylines on the non-adult board I frequent all seem to end with my characters getting traumatized somehow).

And I figure I'll rough up a character once a few other people do, just to make sure I'm not making some sort of clone.

DKDBSD

Quote from: Korbl on March 26, 2011, 04:20:38 PM
It'll be plot based. I have yet to really find a mechanical system that would work well for pokemon. A forum I post on was working on something, but it was never made usable.

Cool the last one I was involved in was pretty much a poor mans game. Ie I would have been better off playing one of the games. XD

SargentToughie

Sounds like it could be interesting, I'm gonna go ahead and reserve a spot right now. So, how mature are you planning on it being? Is it basically going to be an RP version of the game, or is it going to be like so many other RPs around here and put a 'darker' spin on it?

EDIT: Oh, and are we allowed to pick any 'mon we want as a starter? Because if so, I call dibs on Dratini.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Silk

NotCarrot

Ditto that.

Anyone got any character concepts they're tossing around? Since it looks like there might be a Poke-Zombie Invasion as part of the plot, I was thinking of a "Professor's Daughter" type character (though possibly male, depending on what everyone else makes). Not related to any of THE Professors, but the child of a minor scientist researching, I dunno, the effects of urban expansion on Grimer and Trubbish migration. I'm thinking of not exactly a ditzy Cloudcuckoolander type for personality, but someone doesn't really want to be associated with a researcher who does something other than inventing teleportation systems. I figure he acts less smart than he is, mostly because everyone *expects* him/her to be some kind of genius because mom or dad is a scientist.

SargentToughie

I hadn't even started to think of a character. But, like you, I was planning on sitting on my character and waiting to see the genders of everybody else before coming to a decision.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Antioch

I like the idea would it be too many people if I said I want in?

Oh and If I can join......would it hurt to be a Gym leaders kid...getting their first pokemon from the leader themself? Or no.

Crovonovin

Since this is an interest check, I suppose I'll put forward my own interest!  It's looking a bit full in here already, but if there are any openings now or sometime in the future I would be more than eager to take up a spot.

Korbl

Ok, so the list of people who have shown interest:
Silk
BlueEyedBard
NotCarrot
DKDBSD
Spell
DemonWing01

Antioch, Shihong, I'm going to say that DemonWing is the last one in, as I'm hesitant about running for too many people (and my friend never finished her application for the site so her spot is vacant, then taken by him).

If something comes up, or I decide I can allow another couple players, I will post here saying so.

As for starters, I'm going to say "yes, any mon, within reason." Ideally, I think I'd like you to pick a usual starter (any gen/region), or the lowest form of a three form evolution family with a type appropriate to your city's gym. However, that's not a huge limitation, as there are plenty of three form families, and there are many more cities and gyms than shown in the anime or games or manga.

Being the kid of a gym leader is ok, but I'd like characters to be no younger than 16, so as to stave off the squickiness of anything younger being in an adult roleplay.

Understand that in my interpretation, the Pokemon League is essentially the governing body of the pokeverse, with the Elite Four being the highest level of government for their region, and the Champion being the actual head. When a new person defeats the champion, they have the option of taking his place in the government, or allowing him to continue being the champion. Most kids, when they defeat Lance or whoever, are sat down by the Elite Four, and probably whoever gave them their pokemon, and have this explained to them, and end up deciding to let the adults continue running things.
In this model, gym leaders are typically the heads of towns unless, for some reason, there's someone who commands more respect who hasn't told the town to follow the gym leader.

I'm thinking that under this model some kind of trial by fire may exist in lieu of a standard court of law. Criminals may be able to elect to have a battle with a court owned pokemon, typically something final form and high level, with the size of their own party determined by the severity of their crime (up to "no party, you fight this on your own" for the most severe). But I'm not sure about this. I'm still thinking on it.

DemonWing, this is going to be a bit darker than the games, possibly more in line with the manga (which I haven't read, but have heard is rather dark), or possibly darker than that (again, haven't read, so I can't give more than that). But, like I said, poke-zombies is a possible plot point, and I am a horror nut, to a certain extent.

NotCarrot, a professor's kid would be fine, especially for a professor more akin to Fennel than Oak and co. On the other hand, be aware that I'm vaguely considering using an idea I had that the professors are all part of a secret cult that forces them to change their names to that of a plant.... I don't know if I'll use it, and I don't really know how nefarious I'd make the cult, probably not very, seeing as how I truly respect the pursuit of knowledge.
Ons/Offs

My A&As

SargentToughie

Sweet! So, do you want us to start working on our profiles now?
Ons and offs

NotCarrot

Do you mean all the capital-P Professors from the games (Oak, Fennel, Juniper, Elm, etc) or just any notable researcher in the Pokeverse? Cause I wasn't planning on having my character be related to any of the canon characters.
Also, this is still taking place in Unova or Sinnoh, correct?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the trial-by-battle thing sounds like a cool concept.