d20 Future: Mercenaries

Started by Idej, May 24, 2008, 04:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idej

It is the year 2108;  It is a bleak and dark world as the United States and several other major powers crumble due to the lack of resources and funding.  Corporations created several contracts to the governments in order to help, but now that the governments are not paying up these companies have taken over and have claimed large pieces of land for their companies.

Without the backing of these major powers the UN can not enforce their power on them and slowly dissolves.  Without the UN several countries began their fall as well.

Over time countries fall and become taken over by the hands of board members and CEOs.  The world becomes a giant capitalistic warzone as the companies now fight each other in order for the other to crumble.  The world is engulfed in corporate fighting and infighting as each try to dominate the world.

While the world is controlled by the corporations there are parts that have not taken by the companies.  Some of these lands were undesirable and were thus left to fend for themselves.  These lands eventually become known as the wastelands.  The other territories that could not be taken over by the megacorporations were taken over by the newly resurrected USSR.  Russia foresaw the outcome of the crumbling of the United States and thought it was best to recreate the Soviet Union, which it did.  The USSR took over all of Eastern Europe.  The last area is China.  China profited from the fighting so much that we were able to take over nearly all of Asia and have thus become a powerful nation.  So far no one has been able to enter China and it has become an unkown land.

As each corporation needs a strong military they also need a strong workforce in order to produce more goods for them to sell, and so the need for mercenaries have risen.  One group, known as the The Sword, is a newly formed merc unit created by a man named Gerard Thomas.  Gerard is an unknown man and many speculate that he used be a CIA Agent or something similar.  All that is known is that he has come out of the shadows to create a merc team that come from various agencies, terrorist cells, and elite units from different governments before they fell(ex. Mossad and the Marine Corp).  While some have been mutated due to genetic experiments, and others are not, Gerard does not care as long you are good at what you do.

I have been wanting to do this for some time.

Here are the rules

Level 4(Max. Wealth, and Max. HP)

36 point-buy

This an early Progress Level 6 campaign.  While cold fusion has been discovered, there are many things that have not been created such as laser guns.  Most weapons that are being used are still at PL 5 level.

Besides Humans, Moreaus and Franks are playable as well.
Seeing that the corporations are no longer bound by the UN, the Geneva Convention, and several other International Laws and Treaties.  Twisted experiments made by scientists have been done and have thus created different types of genetic mutants.

Books allowed

Besides d20 Modern and d20 Future, the Weapons Locker, Future Tech, and the Menace Manual is available.  Any non-magic advance class or PrC from the Urban Arcana is available as well.  Anything from the d20 section on wizards.com is allowed as well as long as it is non-magical.  I will also need to now where you found the information at also.

The Great Triangle

What about d20 Apocalypse?  It has some extra mutations in it I'd be interested in using if I was playing as a freak.

Also, could you briefly clarify what you mean by max wealth?  Does that include profession checks at level up, or just the roll for wealth at level 1?  Also, will the wealth by level chart from Urban Arcana come into play for determining starting wealth?

Finally, will mecha be allowed if we can afford them?

How exactly will wealth be spent to purchase items, can we take 20 on wealth checks?  What about rolling for wealth loss?

Thanks.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Idej

For the first question, I do not have Apocalypse yet, but I will be expecting to get it in the mail soon.  So to answer that question it is a yes, but nothing magical as I have said before.

The second question, is the wealth at level 1 and the wealth by level chart from Urban Arcana.

I forgot to mention about Mecha.  For now most of the scientists and engineers are more concerned with genetics at the moment, but don't think that Mecha's won't come into play. ;)

Wealth will follow the normal d20 rules on purchasing items and wealth loss.

I hope I have answered your questions thoroughly.:)

The Great Triangle

Don't you roll dice to find out how much wealth you lose for big purchases?

I may not remember the system all that well unfortunately.

Are extremely low level mecha like the loader exoskeleton from Aliens available yet?
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Idej

Purchase DC of 15 or higher drops your wealth by one point
Purchase DC is 1-10 points higher is 1 point dropped
11-15 DC is 1d6 points
and 16 or more is 2d6 points

Low level mecha is available, but it isn't too much to go into war with.  It is after all an exoskeleton with several openings to attack your character, but you can carry bigger guns with ease.