News:

Main Menu

Bandersnatch!

Started by Inkidu, October 28, 2009, 09:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I was recently asked, nay outgrabed into defining a difference between gibberish and jabberwocky.
There is no truly defining definition between the two and I sought to give it the old vorpal try.

Both are nonsense but jabberwocky has to make sense in its own nonsensical way. Like a malapropism.

he difference between Gibberish and Jabberwocky. Both are nonsense yes but Jabberwocky has to make sense in a nonsensical way.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Somehow it makes sense.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Of course it makes sense.

Quote"BRILLIG" means four o'clock in the afternoon -- the time when you begin BROILING things for dinner.'

`That'll do very well,' said Alice: and "SLITHY"?'

`Well, "SLITHY" means "lithe and slimy." "Lithe" is the same as "active." You see it's like a portmanteau -- there are two meanings packed up into one word.'

`I see it now,' Alice remarked thoughtfully: `and what are "TOVES"?'

`Well, "TOVES' are something like badgers -- they're something like lizards -- and they're something like corkscrews.'

`They must be very curious looking creatures.'

`They are that,' said Humpty Dumpty: `also they make their nests under sun-dials -- also they live on cheese.'

`Andy what's the "GYRE" and to "GIMBLE"?'

`To "GYRE" is to go round and round like a gyroscope. To "GIMBLE" is to make holes like a gimblet.'

`And "THE WABE" is the grass-plot round a sun-dial, I suppose?' said Alice, surprised at her own ingenuity.

`Of course it is. It's called "WABE," you know, because it goes a long way before it, and a long way behind it -- '

`And a long way beyond it on each side,' Alice added.

`Exactly so. Well, then, "MIMSY" is "flimsy and miserable" (there's another portmanteau for you). And a "BOROGOVE" is a thing shabby-looking bird with its feathers sticking out all round -- something like a live mop.'

`And then "MOME RATHS"?' said Alice. `I'm afraid I'm giving you a great deal of trouble.'

`Well, a "RATH" is a sort of green pig: but "MOME" I'm not certain about. I think it's short for "from home" -- meaning that they'd lost their way, you know.'

`And what does "OUTGRABE" mean?'

`Well, "OUTGRIBING" is something between bellowing and whistling, with a kind of sneeze in the middle: however, you'll hear it done, maybe -- down in the wood yonder -- and when you've once heard it you'll be QUITE content.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Eh, I find the really good stuff should always escape definite definition.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kotah

Gibberish isn't hard either. You just add a dg after every vowel sound.

treedge
modgop
madgad
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

Inkidu

Quote from: Kotah on October 29, 2009, 12:16:22 AM
Gibberish isn't hard either. You just add a dg after every vowel sound.

treedge
modgop
madgad
Well, the point is Jabberwocky is like a malapropism. A malapropism isn't just a mistake it's a mistake that makes better sense than the correct version would.

My favorite example: "A kick in the groan."