Historical court roleplay.

Started by Ptolemy, October 17, 2009, 04:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptolemy

Heya folks! I've recently had an idea about an court roleplay. We have a few groups and one-on-one's setting their scene to be in court, but I haven't really scene a somewhat historically accurate court roleplay. I would think that us, the people interested in the idea of a historical roleplay based around a court in a certain period and location (I would far prefer European), would have to brainstorm on a few pointers, though.

1) The location and time period

Ideas: The court of Basil II in Rhomanion (The Byzantine Empire) around the year 1045.
          The court of one of one of the Crusader Kings of Jerusalem.
          An early 15th century Italian court.
          The court of the Sun King in France (17th century).

2) Do we keep it a big group or small group?

3) Prior to making the roleplay, do we give each roleplayer a role (The King, The Queen, the Duke of Magicsparklyland, etc.)?

Let's start brainstorming, people!

sinera

I'd be in for this - I don't know much about Byzantine... and define "Crusader Kings," please. If I had my druthers, I'd go for The court of the Sun King (it'd be easier - there are actually movies we could draw from for examples of the way to behave LOL), or even the English courts (early Elizabeth?)

I would say keep it a smallish group (no more that 7-10 players). So far as roles go, it depends on how high up in the hierarchy you intend them to be. I would say the characters need to be pretty close in rank, unless you intend for it to be the nobles using the staff for their own designs.

Perhaps set up a sort of "game" out of it - like in Dangerous Liaisons or something like.
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Ptolemy

Crusader Kings as in.. the Crusader Kingdoms that were forged from the lands of Saracens in the Crusades. My favorite area would be Byzantium, but it's a quite niche area of history, so must people won't have a clue about how awesome it is. I really would hate anything related to England post-1066 invasion, so..

I actually want a medium sized group (10-20 people), and the ranks of the characters would obviously have to be quite high. Some would be foreign dignateries visting and etc.

I would actually think the Crusader Kingdom scenario would fit best. The participants could create characters with different nationalities, because the Latins coming in to the Kingdoms were of many nations (Most still were French or German, though). What do you folks think about that?

sinera

I couldn't promise to stay in-character, since I don't know anything about that area, especially in that time period.

Sorry - my interests are mainly later period.

Good luck, though!
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Ptolemy

Dosen't mean you can't help in the brainstorming! For all we know, we will set on a later period, I just personally really don't like Elizabethian England as a setting.