Dark Heresy: Interest Check

Started by ShadowFox89, October 31, 2014, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

This is an interest check for anyone who might be looking to play (or even run!) a Dark Heresy Second Edition game.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sain

Is it specifically inquisitional action you are craving or just a WH40K campaign in general, because I've been preparing a WH40K campaign for some time now. It wouldn't exactly be along the theme of Dark Heresy, but rather one with a healthy vigilante sort of mix of both DH and Black Crusade.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Pumpkin Seeds

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Sain on October 31, 2014, 04:29:47 PM
Is it specifically inquisitional action you are craving or just a WH40K campaign in general, because I've been preparing a WH40K campaign for some time now. It wouldn't exactly be along the theme of Dark Heresy, but rather one with a healthy vigilante sort of mix of both DH and Black Crusade.

Inquisitorial. I'm wanting to try out the Dark Heresy 2e rules.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sain

After skimming how the 2nd ed differs from the first I must say I'm somewhat intrigued of giving it a spin too. Can't offer to GM it though, but will bookmark this thread.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Pumpkin Seeds

I have a few days off, so I might re read the book and consider some stuff.  Can't promise anything though.

ShadowFox89

Cool. If not, I'll run something. Luckily, Only War and Black Crusade are fairly compatible as far as opponents go.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Oh.  I'd enjoy playing.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

wander

I'd be up for this...

I love me some system gaming and Dark Heresy is pretty boss and I'm up for 2e gaming! :)

ChaoticSky

Likewise!

Though ive been thinking of starting a game myself, i was planning BC, and not DH, so i cant run this alas.

TheGlyphstone

Oooh, shiny. I'd love to play in either a BC or a DH game that actually got off the ground, previous ones I've played in seem to stall out really fast.

HairyHeretic

I'm always interested in 40k games.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ShadowFox89

For those interested in playing, what would your preference for a game be? Heavy intrigue? Combat? Mix of both? And would you prefer the luck of the roll or points?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

More on the intrigue/investigation side with just enough combat to keep the danger factor going - I'm personally more a fan of combat, but I have to recognize that the DH combat system is a very poor fit for PbP pacing.

Stats though...it's just not a 40K RPG without luck of the roll. Point buy guarantees being able to build the role/career you want, but the best characters can come out of something unexpected.

Pumpkin Seeds

Intrigue/Investigation with a touch of horror to fit the genre and some combat to make things interesting.

wander

I'm gonna say from prior experience, I'd like some heavy combat and also I'd like to point buy my character and make up who I want. I do very much agree the add of some horror would be good, but more the fright of how the odds would be stacked against us than a slow burner... Slow burning 40k games have died too many deaths infront of these eyes to want to be in another one.

Muse

i lean more towards Wanderer's side of the equation.   

investigation can be very nice if carefully handle, but i like a good helping of action.

As a general rule, i favor point buy, but I can handle rolling in this system. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ironwolf85

I shall watch with interest, not craving inquisitorial stuff at the moment but it's fun to watch.

Oddly for the first time I'm in the mood to play chaos.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

wander

I'd actually like a crack at Chaos myself tbh...

The thing with 40K is it's so much about extremes, you really need to get into that mindset and being a guy of liberty, the Imperium really does and can rub me up the wrong way... Chaos isn't much better though, being a direct opposite in extreme.

YMMV, but I think the Eldar (not the Dark Eldar though) are pretty the best of a bad bunch. Saying that, there'd be some good fun to be had in playing a Slaaneshi aligned anything or a Dark Eldar. :)

Baalborn87

ShadowFox89

Well, if I can get enough people interested.... The fact that DH2e can be intermixed with Only War means I have a lot of material to work with.

Do you guys want a more mobile campaign, or something akin to Hellsing meets Warhammer 40k? Lots of combat or lots of intrigue?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pumpkin Seeds

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Baalborn87

I already  get enough GMing done with Darh heresy, Only war and Black crusade at my local club. sorry

Beorning

I wanted to say that I recently got the books both to Dark Heresy *and* Black Crusade! So, I'd definitely be interested in playing!

ChaoticSky

TheGlyphstone

Frankly, with how the dozen or so of us swarm down on prospective 40K system games like a swarm of starving piranhas, we might want to look into a collective/rotating GM system. I had a RL Deathwatch group that did that and worked out well - each person ran a short mission arc or plotkit segment in turn, so that everyone got maximal playtime.

ShadowFox89

That might be the best, so that one of us doesn't get burned out. Maybe even have rotating seats for Dark Heresy 2e, Only War, and Black Crusade all set within the same 'verse.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

That could work. Though honestly, coordinating that sort of massive joined universe/multiple parallel campaigns would probably just burn everyone out even faster. Better to pick one game, with one set of characters, and follow them from adventure to adventure. Whoever is GMing, their PC just doesn't show up for that arc.

Pumpkin Seeds

I do think this would be better done with us focusing on a particular type of game such as Dark Heresy or Only War. 

ShadowFox89

Well, since this was initially a Dark Heresy interest check thread, we should probably go with that. Should I boot up a new thread to list out the potential GM's and their plot hooks?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Baalborn87

If we add an only war storyline (and i'm assuming new characters). I'd be happy to GM that one. We thinking Custom regiment? Or pre-built?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Baalborn87 on December 18, 2014, 01:18:25 PM
If we add an only war storyline (and i'm assuming new characters). I'd be happy to GM that one. We thinking Custom regiment? Or pre-built?

Burn one bridge at a time, here. First we have to get the DK part off the ground and make it self-sustaining.

ShadowFox89

Yeah, we can set up an Only War storyline later on, let's focus on Dark Heresy for now :P

(I'd be happy to play in any three though... it's been so long since I've actually played a WH40KRPG game T_T)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

On a entirely different topic, ive been slowly scheming up a BC mega-game which I intend to GM, for the past several months, so that will happen eventually.

but not yet!

Beorning

Quote from: Darkling on December 18, 2014, 04:36:52 PM
On a entirely different topic, ive been slowly scheming up a BC mega-game which I intend to GM, for the past several months, so that will happen eventually.

but not yet!

Aaaaah! Such a tease...  ;D

Anyway, as I said - I'm all for a DH game. Although I'm not sure if I'd be a good choice to GM it... My latest GM attempts (over at another site) didn't end up too good. Also, I just don't know the setting too good yet...

HairyHeretic

I'm up for any 40k game, which I'm sure comes as a surprise to no one :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 18, 2014, 04:56:36 PM
I'm up for any 40k game, which I'm sure comes as a surprise to no one :P

Actually, I'm completely and utterly shocked that you'd be interested in such a game.

[/deadpan]

ShadowFox89

Really, we're the same group of people who always flock to a 40k game like cats to catnip :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

True... I'd totally GM a game for you guys, if I felt competent at that. But I have never GMed a group game before (like, ever. Even in RL I've only GMed solo stories) and I'm new both to the setting and the actual WH40K games...

Although DH is a very tempting challenge, I admit!

HairyHeretic

There are a few premade DH adventures for 1st edition. You could always take one of those and run it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 18, 2014, 05:09:29 PM
Really, we're the same group of people who always flock to a 40k game like cats to catnip :P

More like pirahanas to an injured cow, since it always seems to end up in blood and disappointment.

If we're going to form a rotation group, we definitely want to be using pre-made adventures for as long as we can. As a filter process if nothing else; people who want to GM and people who have the time/dedication to GM might not be a 1-1 ratio, and premades reduce the prep to minimal and help that filtering.

I'll count in as one. We'll want at least 4, maybe 5 - that will give us a steady group of 4 PCs and 1 GM, regardless of who is running this arc.

ShadowFox89

Well, obviously I'll volunteer. I have two premades and I've been kicking around a couple of ideas.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pumpkin Seeds

TheGlyphstone

For now, yes. If we're successful, maybe we can look at expanding or transitioning into another game. But we're going to start small and low with DH.

Jaded

I'd be interested as well (if it isn't full) though probably wouldn't have access to the second edition until after Christmas. 

ShadowFox89

How should we do stats, basic rolls in the book or point buy? I would honestly say point buy.... But it doesn't feel right without the risk of having a character with nothing but 26 in all stats.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

I'm fully in favor of rolls. It's just not a 40K RPG without randomly rolled stats. But we are possibly getting ahead of ourselves - we'll need at least 1 more person to have a stable rotation and keep a functional-sized group of PCs available. We can discuss who goes when in the rotation later, this is just a general check.

Roster of interested Player-GMs so far:
Shadowfox89
TheGlyphstone
Jaded?
Beorning?

Muse

Hm?  Oh, I'm very much interested as a player. 

Honestly, I should be able to do a GM rotation so long as you don't want me first or second in line. 

TheGlyphstone

If we're going to make this work, taking a slot in the GM rotation will be required to be a player. Not fair to the rest of us otherwise.

Shadowfox89
TheGlyphstone
Muse
Jaded?
Beorning?

HairyHeretic

I've GMed in the past, willing to do so again. Only 1st ed though, haven't tried 2nd yet.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

ditto, I have no knowledge of second edition. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Pockets

Drops an interest marker for playing, not necessarily DMing at this point.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Baalborn87

As I said before. I'm totally up to player-GM. Will it be a different game (DH2, BC, OW, RT) per GM? But in the same star system. I have 4 (maby more) Fantasy flight adventures for Rogue trader. 2 (or 6 if you count the ones available in the fluff books) for Black Crusade. 2 for Only War and about 9+ for Dark Heresy (though they were written for 1st Ed they shouldn't be a problem converting them.)

TheGlyphstone

I'm more familiar with DH1e myself - I'm not a fan of aptitudes from Only War, really - so we can definitely adopt that as the one standard.

Quote from: Baalborn87 on December 19, 2014, 11:28:14 AM
As I said before. I'm totally up to player-GM. Will it be a different game (DH2, BC, OW, RT) per GM? But in the same star system. I have 4 (maby more) Fantasy flight adventures for Rogue trader. 2 (or 6 if you count the ones available in the fluff books) for Black Crusade. 2 for Only War and about 9+ for Dark Heresy (though they were written for 1st Ed they shouldn't be a problem converting them.)

Nope - everyone in one game system, in this case DH. We all have a character, who's off busy doing something else during our rotation 'turn'. DH is the simplest to make short story arcs for, and I think has the most published pre-written material available.

TheGlyphstone

Shadowfox89
TheGlyphstone
Muse
Jaded?
Beorning?
Baalborn87
HairyHeretic
PumpkinSeeds

That's 8 people, so a group of 7 PCs if everyone is in attendance every game. That is a lot, and it's definitely as many as we probably want to work with at this point. So I guess our interest is [Full].

Should we start up a new thread in OOC somewhere to work out a rotation and standardize character creation?

HairyHeretic

Going to toss up another idea.

Dark Heresy mumble based game. Think we could find 2-3 hours somewhere in the week where we're all available? I'm in the GMT timezone, but I've run a group before where most of the players were US based (playing L5R)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ShadowFox89

Can't really do that as I don't have a set schedule in my week.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

That makes it a lot trickier, I will admit.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

WHat section should we put this in? 

I normaly avoid extreme, but that might fit some of the sexual content that could come up in the seting. 

(Might be too much for some players--sometimes inlcuding myself.  I'd far prefer NCES)

TheGlyphstone

I'd gravitate towards Extreme myself - not just for the potential sexual content, but all the other gore and slime and nastiness that a team of acolytes are likely to find themselves immersed in. We can certainly tone it down and go into NCES, but it wouldn't feel as authentic to, say, fight a Nurgle cult without nauseatingly detailed descriptions of their horrid diseased forms, or battle Khorne-worshippers and not mention them being covered in blood.

Baalborn87

Plus. You can never trust a Slaaneshi cultist.

HairyHeretic

NC seems fine to me. Yes, the 40k universe is horribly dark, but if you look at the novels we have, it doesn't have to be an all out gorefest to capture the feel of the setting.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Fair enough. I'd prefer Extreme, but I'm happy with NC, and it needs to be as close to unanimous as we can get - though there is the consideration that different 'arcs' might flip between sections depending on the content of that particular pregenerated adventure. But NC as the place for our general OOC thread across the entire metacampaign is acceptable.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 19, 2014, 03:23:08 AM
If we're going to make this work, taking a slot in the GM rotation will be required to be a player. Not fair to the rest of us otherwise.

Hmmm. You know, I'm really not sure if I'm a good enough to GM...  :-(

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on December 19, 2014, 04:34:02 PM

That's why you'll probably be down at the end of the rotation. By the time we get around to you, you'll have seen enough and participated in enough that you should be fine following the script of a pre-packaged adventure.

Everyone needs to start somewhere. With this sort of setup, you get the advantage that every one of your players has or will have GM experience, so they'll know how to make your end as smooth as possible.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 19, 2014, 04:31:09 PM
Fair enough. I'd prefer Extreme, but I'm happy with NC, and it needs to be as close to unanimous as we can get - though there is the consideration that different 'arcs' might flip between sections depending on the content of that particular pregenerated adventure. But NC as the place for our general OOC thread across the entire metacampaign is acceptable.

Well, there's always the option of moving a thread if the story warrants it. It's not like we're absolutely locked in to a single board.

Quote from: Beorning on December 19, 2014, 04:34:02 PM

Dude, no one ever is when they start. We learn to be better GMs by GMing. Every GM makes mistakes, but as long as the players are enjoying themselves, then it's all good :)

Here, go read this

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=88480.msg3875974#msg3875974

and see if it helps any :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Thanks for advice... That'll be useful.

Although I do fear that I'll have trouble committing for such a massive project as a game with multiple players. GMing something like that might take a lot of time... And I get overwhelmed easily. The last game I GMed I dropped - and it was a solo game in a setting I really knew well...

HairyHeretic

So, we give it a try. If it works, it works. If it doesn't .. well, in all my time on here I've had exactly 1 story manage to come to a proper end :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Honestly, even if you drop it there is another GM to pick up the game so long as you have notes or at least a general direction.  The only problem I foresee here is time and if one GM wants to create a long, overarching plot.  In which case that GM just breaks up their plot into smaller "episodes" where the characters periodically run into their villains and such. 

Also, I think we should develop a couple of Inquisitors that manage this group of hapless heroes.  Perhaps a brother-sister Inquisitor team that has decided to pool their minions together for mutual use.  Could also be a smaller system or area where there are not a lot of potential candidates for acolytes to use so this group gets tapped by various Inquisitors to perform their tasks.

HairyHeretic

It's being run as an experiment on the part of the local Conclave.

While every Inquisitor has their own pool of trusted retainers, sometimes losses break that connection. Usually it's down to the death of the acolyte, but what happens when it's the Inquisitor for whom duty has ended? The acolytes could be liquidated, but they represent a pool of time, training and talent .. better to see if they can be re-used by the Conclave as a whole, and in time they mind find permanent service with another Inquisitor.

For the time being, they are effectively ronin.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Good idea!

BTW. Regarding the rating issue: personally, I feel we'd be safer with Extreme. Even disregarding Chaos Gods, the whole setting seems very brutal to me. I mean, chainswords? Can you even describe effects of chainswords without going Extreme?

HairyHeretic

Quite easily. Commissar Caine uses a chainsword paired with a laspistol. Aside from running them through, lopping off limbs and heads and occasional sprays of blood, ichor or viscera, there's nothing particular gory in the writing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

I must admit that my mental images of chainsword combat are... much more gory, then.

Pockets

No, I will admit that the mental imagery is much more... intense. Not to mention the rather... explosive results of a bolt pistol or bolter.

So I guess I expressed interest a bit late then. Ceste la ve.

I'll keep an eye out for things. I don't have a problem GMing. I just wanted to learn more about the game system itself before stepping up for that particular job. I've played WH40 tabletop wargames now for nearly a decade. (Back when the Blood Angels Rhino Rush was still legal and an absolute nightmare if you didn't have heavy weapons), so I'm rather well versed on the universe.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Muse

Ack.  Wish you'd seen this sooner, then, Pockets. 

So, we'll put it up in extreme.  Our characters come from different inquisitors and are assembled into this specific group. 

Starting level? 

Pockets

Well I had put in, but TheGlyphstone didn't include me in his count. So wasn't sure if I was too late or what.
08/02 - New A/A Update

HairyHeretic

The can describe the effects of weapons in as much or little graphic detail as you like. That's down to the writer.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: Pockets on December 20, 2014, 09:27:18 AM
Well I had put in, but TheGlyphstone didn't include me in his count. So wasn't sure if I was too late or what.

Maybe he just missed you? Don't give up yet :)

Pumpkin Seeds

I do like that idea Hairy.  Ronin acolytes.

Muse