Word of the Day Challenge

Started by Britwitch, December 16, 2018, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiscesDream

It was fascinating how twins could be that different despite being a reflection of each other. Amy was the good kid, the shy introvert whereas her sister, Kate, was the exact opposite- a force of nature, a rebel, a soul so free and adventurous that nothing could tie her down. Amy admired her, but she could never be her. But their differences never meant that they didn't have that bone-deep connection that twins shared. Since they were kids, every night before falling asleep, Kate would recite her adventurous to her sister animatedly and Amy would live vicariously through her- feeling connected to her other half even when they were worlds apart. 

Brokk

The door slammed behind Jace as he stormed into the room.  "Ugh.  I hate that professor!" The exclamation burst out from him like a sudden gale. "I spent weeks slaving over that stupid essay of his only to get an incomplete on it."

His mood caused Mary to flinch away in response. It was so out of character for him to be like that. "Did you get a chance to talk to him after class?" She asked softly, hoping not to upset him more with her question.

"You bet I did! I was so upset that I was fit to be tied. However, I did my best to keep a lid on my anger. After all that, he had the unmitigated nerve to allege that I cheated on my paper. It seems some student of his had picked the same topic two years ago. Aside from similar titles and the same subject, the papers had nothing in common. Mine made completely different points and arguments. I finally got him to back down and give me a proper grade.  Still only an 88, but I feel like I had to fight to get it." He declared, his anger seeming to finally deflate.

Chasing Dreams

When her friends dragged her to the party they deemed would be the best of the year,she didn't know what to expect.  She still wasn't sure how her friends got an invitation to the party, but she wasn't going to them about it.  The party was at the mansion in the grand neighborhood and as soon as they stepped inside, it felt like they were transported to a different time. The inside of the mansion was decorated in what she could describe as ancient Greece. She knew the party hosts were beyond rich and had the means to make their home into a conversation piece. When they stepped into the ballroom, the room itself had an ethereal appearance with  all the decor and then the grand and flows gowns most of the women in attendance were wearing. She had a hard time believing she was even there because it was something she'd remember for life.
Selectively Available for NEW stories.
Status ⋮ Around here somewhere.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 
Posting Order (Click to see.)

Thank you Amaris for the beautiful signature!

PiscesDream

Damien Dupont walked into the room like he owned the place, and he technically did too. The new Art wing of the University where the Hockey team and their rowdy supporters had sneaked into after winning the State-level Championship, was built on the funding from his Father. His braggadocio would never let you think for even a moment that he was normal. Every turn of his head, every tilt of his mouth, every word that came out of it- screamed Money and Privilege.

Brokk

The rain pelted down outside leaving splatters of water upon the window. The wind seemed to howl as it played havoc with the raindrops as if they were small toys being batted about by an invisible cat. The trees bent all in the same direction as if bowing to a divine presence. It was surprising given the ferocity of the storm that it wasn't really a hurricane that he was witnessing outside.

His coworker arrived, her umbrella was torn to shreds, she was missing her hat, her hair looked like a tangled rat's nest and she was soaked and dripping wet from head to toe. While he typically thought of her as having a querulous personality, today her avid complaints had validity.

Chasing Dreams

There was nothing that she wanted more than to forget someone from her past because that person had given her nothing but bad memories and struggles with trusting those she met. She knew she had been lucky to get away when she had because though it had been three years since she had left him, certain things made the memories she tried to lock away surface. A news report had made her remember why she had listened to her intuition to leave after the man had lambasted her cruelly with words in front of his business associates. It had been awful because no one had tried to stop him and it had made all the little things she had dismissed as a out of the ordinary all make sense. She knew she needed to leave and got away and tried not to look back as she had even left the state for a fresh start.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Brokk

He stared at the screen numbly, his eyes simply re-reading the words over and over again as if they were somehow going to change. His mind simply couldn't grasp the reality of the message. After 5 years on the job with a flawless record, they were letting him go. Apparently his political activism inveighing against companies with a poor environmental track record had come to light with upper management.

Chasing Dreams

When she was asked to help organize the office of the CEO at the company, she was surprised to see that his office was the opposite of spotless. His office seemed like it was organized chaos and completely unlike the man who ran the company.  She was known for her organizational skills and ended up spending three days getting his office organized.  When she was meticulous in dealing with the work files and labeling so he could easily find what he needed. She made sure everything had a home and by the time she finished, his office looked like it belonged to him.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

PiscesDream

Zarah had made up her mind about Rhiannon. She had seen the girl make unreasonable demands, fatuous arguments and throw temper tantrums better suited for a toddler. Those were not the kind of people she wanted to surround herself with. College was a fresh start to her life and she wanted to be extra careful about who she called a friend.

Brokk

It is fascinating how many people love to romanticize medieval times. The vast majority of the population were peasants or serfs. Life in general was brutally hard with no real knowledge or practice of hygiene. Diseases ran rampant through communities. Cities were even less salubrious with the contents of chamber pots being thrown out windows into the streets. It was quite literally a cesspool. Why anyone would ever want to live in such an environment is a mystery.

Chasing Dreams

She knew the task was to prove without a doubt that a statement that was made was true, but her partner was making it difficult.  All he was using were conjecture instead of real tangible proof. She had tried her best to get real evidence to prove the statement as true, but her partner was refusing to use any of it.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Brokk

It was a dreary Monday morning when he woke up feeling exhausted. He had overdone it with yard work the previous day and his body was filled with aches and pains. Even after a hot shower, he just wanted to go back to bed. That's when she walked in, a smile on her face and a steaming hot cup of coffee in her hand. "Good morning sunshine!" Her cheerful voice rang out to instantly lighten his mood. The room seemed to brighten with her presence as if she were his own personal luminary.

Chasing Dreams

She knew she didn't have much of a social life and she was okay with that. The one praxis she stuck to was taking the hot barre class as the yoga studio she found by accident.  It had been a year and a half since she had found the studio and she attended a class six days week because she loved it so much and made a few new friends she was looking forward to doing things with like going to concerts or movies.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Brokk

The sun beat down mercilessly like a hammer upon an anvil. Day after day it seemed to drive his body to a new low in weariness. If it weren't for the regular availability of water, the trip would have been deadly. He couldn't wait to reach his destination and his heart lifted with joy when he was finally able to descry the town.

Chasing Dreams

She adored traveling and had been able to travel to many places. She had planned on visiting several more that year, but ended up having to stay home and had to live vicariously through a friend who was able to travel the last two months to places she had planned on going to before she had to cancel her plans.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Chasing Dreams

She knew that her family reunion was something she was looking forward to because her cousins would all be there. They always had a great time and this summer was going to be no different.  She had already saw the group texts about the games they were going to play including having a water balloon fight.  She couldn't help but think about the potential spots for a redoubt depending on what team she would end up being on. 
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Chasing Dreams

When she had been assigned to help out the design group for the extravagant ball their company was hosting, she had no clue what she was walking into. She had been told the two who were in charge were a bit eccentric, but always got the job done. When she she finally met them, she realized they had fatuous attitudes about work and seemed not to take it too seriously,  which was different for her. She struggled to get along with them because they let their relaxed personalities show and she was stressed things wouldn't get done.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Chasing Dreams

While she was new to the neighborhood, she could already tell her neighbors were trying to get her to conform to the way they did things. She wasn't sure the aegis of the neighborhood was something she was going to like at all and was regretting moving there.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 

Brokk

Despite the early hour of the day James found himself in an animated conversation with a waitress of the local coffee shop. Yesterday when he was leaving, there was a car accident that happened just after he stepped outside. He was describing the difference in damage between the large pickup truck and the small VW Beetle it had collided with. The Beetle had been crushed while the truck hardly showed a dent. A passing customer interjected that the Beetle was yellow, but James ignored that bit of information, as it was not germane to the point of his story.