What Speed Do You Read?

Started by Nadir, February 06, 2014, 07:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

I'm a dyslexic, so things like writing and reading are rather more difficult for me, but this test got me wondering about people who fill their lives with words. Happily, you guys get to be my guinea pigs!

Aren't you glad? ;)

here's the test

I ask that you put your results behind spoilers, so not to intimidate those about to take the test.

My Results
You read 264 words per minute.
That makes you 6% faster than the national average.

This really surprises me, I always considered myself a slow reader. I usually have to re-read a good handful of words on each page, and sometimes whole sentences. I had to re-read seven words on the test, and re-read a sentence twice. I did not expect to get above the average.

Inkidu

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You read 320 words per minute.
That makes you 28% faster than the national average.

That doesn't surprise me. I don't read that fast all the time, but I can push myself. I like to read at a more... leisurely pace.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Blythe

My results

You read 599 words per minute.
That makes you 140% faster than the national average.

I read rather quickly, I suppose.

impishcharm

My Results
You read 324 words per minute.
That makes you 30% faster than the national average.

That is surprising. My friends are usually reading circles around me.  :-[

You know you hypnotize me, always

Shjade

Numbers
You read 369 words per minute.
That makes you 48% faster than the national average.

My score is multiples of 3. This pleases me.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Serephino

You read 359 words per minute.
That makes you 44% faster than the national average.

That's not too bad I guess.

Inkidu

Of course, ask people how much they remember.

I can remember major plot points and subplots (or major information) for about five years before I have to re-read something (unless it's for funsies).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

How well I remember something is pretty much directly related to how much I enjoyed/was interested in it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Outsider

guess I'm fast
You read 665 words per minute.
That makes you 166% faster than the national average.

Lilias

Maaaaybe...
You read 519 words per minute.
That makes you 108% faster than the national average.

I read a lot faster on an e-reader than a printed page, and that certainly skewed the results. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mnemaxa

754 WPM, at 202% of the average.

I'm not really surprised, nor will most people who know me be.  My retention is solely conceptual, sadly - my memory relies of physical touch more than sight or sound.  I still have to look up things I should know by heart after decades of using some of my books.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

jouzinka

You read 222 words per minute.
That makes you 11% slower than the national average.

Guess my ESL-ness plays into this.  :-[
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Koren

You read 1,100 words per minute.
That makes you 340% faster than the national average.

I did not think that I read that fast, especially being dyslexic, but I suppose it comes from reading from when I was little, and reading instead of playing with the friends I didnt have at school.
I did only get 2 out of 3 questions right, but i tend to not be able to remember such small details on a first reading any way, Im used to reading my books, and even re-reading my roleplays, at least three or four times, even for my non-favorites.

Thorne

Huhn.
You read 772 words per minute.
That makes you 209% faster than the national average.

Interesting. I did it twice - first result was a little slower, despite a shorter sample... although it was something I'd never seen before, and the second was an excerpt from a book I own, so that might have skewed it a bit. <_<  O:)
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

TwistedAlice

This makes me happy, I read a lot quicker than I gave myself credit for, and got all 3 questions right! Yay me :3

lilhobbit37

You read 641 words per minute.
That makes you 156% faster than the national average.
Weee!

Torch

You read 1,560 words per minute.
That makes you 524% faster than the national average

Ehh, not surprised.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oreo

You read 343 words per minute.
That makes you 37% faster than the national average.

I expected it to be slower since I enjoy taking my time reading. I like to let their flavor mingle and melt around my synapses until the words become visual.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nico

You read 560 words per minute.
That makes you 124% faster than the national average.

Does not surprise me. I am used to read fast due to my work. There is often a lot to read. Practice and all.

Oniya

You read 1,042 words per minute.
That makes you 317% faster than the national average.  Three out of three questions right.

And here I thought I'd been slowing down recently...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hades

You read 713 words per minute.
That makes you 185% faster than the national average.

Not too surprising for me since I can finish a 600-page hard back novel in afternoon if left alone.

The Muse

You read 951 words per minute.
That makes you 280% faster than the national average.

This is about normal

Grave

Results

You read 574 words per minute.
That makes you 130% faster than the national average.

Braioch

Cripes, I left the page before copy pasta could occur

But it was like mid to high 400's
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

yobo

You read 491 words per minute.
That makes you 96% faster than the national average.

Which is about the same thing I scored the last time I took one of these tests.