Internet Explorer 8 problems

Started by Silkcat, October 06, 2009, 06:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkcat

Anyone else so cursed as to have IE8?
Fortunately it isn't on any of my normal machines, but the post entry box gets unusably jumpy once you get longer than the starting region (i.e. have to scroll).

Any workaround settings?
Ons and Offs - Story Ideas - Stories Past and Present - Apologies and Absences
---
No, the avatar image isn't me, but it is a good representation of the characters I like.

Vekseid

Until I can incorporate the theme updates for the next release candidate of SMF (a few weeks, presumably), either use the actual reply function, or use a different browser for now.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Silkcat on October 06, 2009, 06:05:50 PM
Anyone else so cursed as to have IE8?
Fortunately it isn't on any of my normal machines, but the post entry box gets unusably jumpy once you get longer than the starting region (i.e. have to scroll).

Any workaround settings?

Totally get rid of it.  I had the same problem in addition to when I wanted to change something in the middle of the post, I'd type and it would begin deleting everything after it to fit whatever I was typing.  IE8 is crap in my opinion.  This happened in a few different forums also, not just ones Vek owns  ;)

Haibane

I have to agree. IE8 was an unmitigated disaster for me as well and caused my whole system to lock up, run slowly, Windows Media Player stopped functioning, all kinds of bizarre nonsense. Removing IE8 cured all of my PCs problems which felt like it was under siege by an army of trojans.

FrankieDupraz

Doesn't clicking on the "compatibility view" button at the very right of the address bar fix the problem with replying to messages?  I'm sure I had a similar problem to what you're having, and I clicked on that and it seems to have worked.  Although, I recommend using FireFox.  It's what I have on my laptop.

Trieste

Quote from: Greenthorn on October 07, 2009, 06:06:15 AM
Totally get rid of it.  I had the same problem in addition to when I wanted to change something in the middle of the post, I'd type and it would begin deleting everything after it to fit whatever I was typing.  IE8 is crap in my opinion.  This happened in a few different forums also, not just ones Vek owns  ;)

This actually sounds like you hit the insert key by accident.

Hunter

The problem is that you're using Intercrack Exploder rather than Firefox.   ;D

Trieste

Am currently giving Chrome a chance. I wish the ctrl + i/b/u tricks worked with it instead of typing [ i ] and whatnot.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Trieste on October 07, 2009, 12:08:28 PM
This actually sounds like you hit the insert key by accident.

Nope, my fingers rarely go that far up on my keyboard  :D  It also was not a one time thing, it was every time in a 24 hour period before I got rid of IE8