Vampires suck - A twilight Parody

Started by Brandon, July 08, 2010, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyarly

Inkidu

I feel my need to correct a commonly misused term.

Scary Movie is not a parody. It is a spoof.

Scream is a parody. There is a difference.

A parody try to make fun of it while doing it.

A spoof blatantly makes fun of it and they're understood to be bad.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Nyarly on July 09, 2010, 05:47:39 PM
I can be civil (believe or not),  but I don't get how someone can derive pleasure out of disliking something.

Allow me to take this out of the context of your disagreement with Brandon and Paladin.

In my experience, we all have something we love to hate.  I am willing to accept you could be an exception, but I find it highly unlikely.  I can certainly understand how you may not understand one person's hate for any particular thing.  However, your comment about a certain religion seems to indicate there is at least one thing that, at the very least, irritates you.

Some people just hate Twilight.  Some people just hate the Beatles...although, those people are obviously missing their full faculties. 

Nyarly

Why does everybody get so worked up about the "Mormon" bit? That was just a descriptor, I could have just as well written "person" (which would have been probably better). I barely know anything about them, besides that Stephanie Meyer is one and that there is a stereotype, involving polygamy, so there is no reason for me to hate them. Hell, with so little knowledge, I shouldn't even have an opinion about them.

And no, I don't love to hate things. If that were the case, I wouldn't wonder why other people do that.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 11, 2010, 04:56:13 PM
Why does everybody get so worked up about the "Mormon" bit? That was just a descriptor, I could have just as well written "person" (which would have been probably better). I barely know anything about them, besides that Stephanie Meyer is one and that there is a stereotype, involving polygamy, so there is no reason for me to hate them. Hell, with so little knowledge, I shouldn't even have an opinion about them.

And no, I don't love to hate things. If that were the case, I wouldn't wonder why other people do that.
I'll tell you why people get so worked up or you could drop a couple of N-bombs at a Black Panther rally. It's in that spirit. Basically a person should not need to use a religious descriptor especially when insulting some one. Bad form, I say.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Nyarly on July 11, 2010, 04:56:13 PM
Why does everybody get so worked up about the "Mormon" bit? That was just a descriptor...

Attaching it with a derogatory word makes it more than a simple descriptor.

Nyarly

Yes, I guess I should have seen myself, that, with the insulting part, can be easily seen in the wrong way.
Quote from: Inkidu on July 11, 2010, 04:59:00 PM
I'll tell you why people get so worked up or you could drop a couple of N-bombs at a Black Panther rally.
I doubt, that a word that is an insult in itself, is really comparable to the normal name of a religious group. I do see your point though.

Leo

I said it before, I'll say it again.

I hate Twilight with a passion even I don't understand sometimes, but I also see no reason to just slap insults aimed at Twilight all over the place. I mean, the line between insulting something and someone can get dangerously blurry when you indulge in your love to hate it.

No?
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

Nyarly

It seems a lot of people, who hate Twilight, also say that they hate Twilight fans. While I think that they mean the mythical crazy fans, I can't help but wonder...

Leo

I go for empathy whenever I can.

I'm a Star Wars fan and a very fanatical one at that. A lot of people think Star Wars is stupid, lame, a joke etc. and most of those who think that way also thought of me worthy of similar attributes. Personally, I think they can go..... *cough* themselves.

So, I think to myself that it is more or less (or perhaps exactly) the same for Twilight fans. I may think this and that about Twilight, but they like it. So I might as well shut up about it. After all, if I have a craving to insult Twilight, I can talk to people who agree with me about it, in an environment that Twilight fans will not be offended.

It's about respecting the freedom of others while you exercise your own. One's freedom ends where another's begins.
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

MasterMischief

I mock Twilight, but I am not sure I would honestly say I hate it.  I found it boring, but I can understand the appeal to fans.  I am a guy who likes Wuthering Heights...so...yeah.

When I 'hate' on something, I usually mean it in a friendly, ribbing sort of way.  Of course, that does not always translate well in this medium.

Now, Rick Astley fans...

Host of Seraphim

Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Inkidu

Quote from: MasterMischief on July 12, 2010, 09:25:55 AM
I mock Twilight, but I am not sure I would honestly say I hate it.  I found it boring, but I can understand the appeal to fans.  I am a guy who likes Wuthering Heights...so...yeah.

When I 'hate' on something, I usually mean it in a friendly, ribbing sort of way.  Of course, that does not always translate well in this medium.

Now, Rick Astley fans...
I personally blame my generation for totally misusing the word hate. Different words are like that because they have different levels of intensity. Dislike, detest, hate, loathe. See. I don't like Twilight because I think vampires are overused cliches of themselves. I don't hate it.

Paladin

Ok I would hate twilight if they didn't do the fucking sparkly Vampires and can see into the future BS that Original thank god Bell Lugosi Dracula style Vampires can't do.  Its the stupidest shit I've seen. I also don't like the rabid fans that keep talking to me about how great it is and then look at me crazy when I say I hate it. You'd think I'd grown titis they are so schocked.

Inkidu

Quote from: Paladin on July 13, 2010, 07:34:31 PM
Ok I would hate twilight if they didn't do the fucking sparkly Vampires and can see into the future BS that Original thank god Bell Lugosi Dracula style Vampires can't do.  Its the stupidest shit I've seen. I also don't like the rabid fans that keep talking to me about how great it is and then look at me crazy when I say I hate it. You'd think I'd grown titis they are so schocked.
Paladin reminded me of something I read. William Pratt (Boris Karloff's birth name) and Bela Lugosi were friends. At his funeral Pratt was said to have looked into the open casket and stated, "So help me if you're putting us all on Bela."

Paladin

Quote from: Inkidu on July 13, 2010, 07:39:22 PM
Paladin reminded me of something I read. William Pratt (Boris Karloff's birth name) and Bela Lugosi were friends. At his funeral Pratt was said to have looked into the open casket and stated, "So help me if you're putting us all on Bela."

HAHA I love It!!!!

Marguerite

Damn, I should have used that link to put up in the forums for my vampire literature class today. I plan to see it since it looks a bit more polished than other comedy movies I have seen.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

King_Furby

turned it off after 10 minutes it was dull. i somewhat liked twi though

Serra Iscariot

The reason I started to severely dislike Twilight wasn't because it 'sucked' or because the story was bad.

Its because the notion of someone hating the glorious EDWARD CULLEN wasn't accepted or tolerated by younger girls. I've heard reports of group beating and girls being attacked by other girls with acid and so on because they expressed that they didn't like Twilight. That was also around the time I actually picked it up to read it... and I was surprised to say that her blunt and depthless writing style didn't do much for me.

But I pressed on, reading all four books in about a week. I'm not going to lie. It got better, if only marginally, as I neared the end of the series. Then... I decided to see the movie. And I promptly began to bang my head on a wall. The movies are terrible and... if that wasn't bad enough, completely incorrect if you regarded the details of the books. In fact, the 'die hard' Twilight fans that had committed horrible acts against other girls their age... hated a lot of it.

I wont rag on the books except to say that YES, I do think the stereotype of Bella being submissive, obsessive and... for lack of a better word... a freaking housewife turned me off big time. I was a teenaged girl once and I found that when I was/am upset/lovesick that I didn't feel the compulsive need to cook/clean. In fact, thats all Bella seems to do in her spare time. Cook for her father, clean the house and dream both in her sleep and waking hours of Edward...

Then there is this: Bella honestly didn't seem introspective enough about anything to have figured out Edward was a vampire after... I dunno... two... three months? And... lets be honest. Any NORMAL teenaged girl would not have looked at Edward's sparkly skin in the sunlight and said "yep. that dude is a vampire."

Unless... you know, Bella was one of the very few people who actually 'knew the truth' before she'd ever met a Vampire. Which, she wasn't. The story seems to be held together by the fact that Bella is so in love with someone she hardly knows that she can overlook that a.) SHE DOESN'T KNOW HIM! and b.) His Vampire 'truths' are so far out of left field that raised brows would have been common... but no, Bella doesn't second guess her beloved Edward.

And then there is Edward... craving and coveting a fragile, mortal girl because.... what was that... oh yeah... SHE SMELLS GOOD!!?!? Oh. and he can't read her mind. ?????

Well.... Twilight aside, I am happy to say that Stephanie Meyer's OTHER book 'The Host' was actually fantastic. Thank GOD for that.

Nyarly

While I don't really have anything against necros generally, I can't help but question if it is a good idea to do it with a thread about a "parody", which is most likely brain-breaking horrible (considering who made it). Then again it may be better than creating yet another Twilight-hate thread.

Wolfy

Quote from: Nyarly on July 09, 2010, 05:47:39 PM
I have never saw a discussion about Twilight that could be called civil.

But you are right, I shouldn't have even started with this. I can be civil (believe or not),  but I don't get how someone can derive pleasure out of disliking something. I'm just tired of the whole mess and just wish that everyone would forget about Twilight. Now that Meyer ended it, there may even be hope. But this parody is not very helpful in that regard.

In the end, Twilight is just a bunch of irrelevant novels, that through some unlucky twist of fate became very popular. Also, I think you can be neutral about it. Unless you separate "neutral" from "indifference".

When Twilight gets put on the required reading list for College classes, I think it ceases to be "Irrelevant". o-o

Trieste

It's not really thread necrophilia after about 6 weeks, but it is in poor taste to resurrect an old thread with a potshot that is pretty well off topic from the OP.

Bad form; topic locked.