Does this sort of tech exist?

Started by Oniya, March 12, 2020, 10:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I'm looking for a device (not a phone) that can take pictures and display PDFs, and not much else.  USB-connectible to transfer said files to/from a desktop machine.  No Internet access preferred.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Marumor

The closest thing that comes to mind, personally, might be an E-reader. I don't know how many come with cameras and no WIFI, however.

Oniya

Hm.  The camera is actually a bit more priority, since I find myself wanting to share pictures with people and having to wait for one of the two people with phones to a) take the picture I want and b) transfer the picture to me.  The PDF aspect would be really, really nice, as it would make an easy way for me to make my knitting patterns portable for trips.  The Wi-fi is just basically pointless, since our household is networked with physical cables.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lexandria

You can get atablet without a connection to acell phone company and then just refuse to teach it any WiFi network.

Thesunmaid

well if it just pictures maybe one of those electronic picture frames? My mom has one and it hooks up to her computer..not sure about pdfs though.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Oniya

Quote from: Thesunmaid on March 23, 2020, 03:00:26 PM
well if it just pictures maybe one of those electronic picture frames? My mom has one and it hooks up to her computer..not sure about pdfs though.

I don't think those take actual pictures - I think those just display the ones on your computer in a frame.

Like, I'll be mentioning a project I'm working on, and people online will say 'Oooh, I wanna see!'  My current recourse is to find one of the two cellphone owners, ask them to take the picture, and get them to upload it.  This is often frustrating, since Mr. Oniya is not the best at tech-stuff (we had Little Oni's graduation picture on his phone for months before he admitted he had no idea how to upload things from it to a computer.  Had to retake it with Little Oni's phone so that we could have graduation prints for Christmas!), and Little Oni gets wrapped up in other things and forgets that I've asked about it.

And forget spontaneous pictures of the cat doing cute things.  By the time I've found one of them, the cute is over and done with.

LostInTheMist

Well, I have a Kindle Fire HD 10 which includes a camera, and the ability to read PDFs as well as books and so on. And I have it set up so that it only works on WiFi, no data connection.

But it's definitely a tablet, (and I have used it as sort of a "poor man's laptop" with the keyboard I bought for it.) rather than a device just for PDFs and pictures. 10" is a bit bulky too for what it sounds like you want it to do, but there are smaller ones that also have cameras. And unlike other tablets they're less than $100.00, most giving you a choice between cellular data connection or not.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.